Metal Storm logo
Moonspell

Original post

Posted by Maim, 17.05.2006 - 09:51
I got their new album 'Memorial' a few weeks ago, and it's fucking awesome. It sounds like their older works fused with the material from their later releases, all to form one pretty monster album. Since Moonspell experiments a good bit with each album, all of their albums tend to have their own sound which makes them stand out from one another... which can be a hit or miss for a band. In my opinion though, Moonspell seems to hit more then they miss, which is something I hope they will keep up. Not to mention that they are also excellent live. So everyone, post your views/thoughts this band...
20.08.2006 - 02:26
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 20.08.2006 at 01:54

Written by Guest on 01.06.2006 at 02:01

I seem to be the only one that likes Sin Pecado more than anything else... it has nothing to do with metal, it's fuckin' danceable thing but it's awesome at the same time...

I don't think that you know much about Moonspell. And I believe that Sin/pecado has nothing to do with true Moonspell. For me their most representative alboums are Memorial, Wolfheart and The antidote. The other alboums (darkness and hope, Sin/pecado and the butterfly effect) are the weakest alboums in inspiration. I suggest that you take a closer look to the previous alboums.

Don't get me wrong, I own the whole Moonspell discography, I had listened to all their albums many times and from years to now, and I like them all (except The Butterfly Effect). I totally agree that Sin/Pecado is their least representative album, but it's still my favorte. I think that album is close to perfection, and my three favourite Moonspell songs belong to that release (Handmade God, Let The Children Cum To Me and Gloria Domini (V.C.)
20.08.2006 - 02:29
Anathemani@c
Written by Guest on 20.08.2006 at 02:26

I seem to be the only one that likes Sin Pecado more than anything else... it has nothing to do with metal, it's fuckin' danceable thing but it's awesome at the same time...

I don't think that you know much about Moonspell. And I believe that Sin/pecado has nothing to do with true Moonspell. For me their most representative alboums are Memorial, Wolfheart and The antidote. The other alboums (darkness and hope, Sin/pecado and the butterfly effect) are the weakest alboums in inspiration. I suggest that you take a closer look to the previous alboums.

Don't get me wrong, I own the whole Moonspell discography, I had listened to all their albums many times and from years to now, and I like them all (except The Butterfly Effect). I totally agree that Sin/Pecado is their least representative album, but it's still my favorte. I think that album is close to perfection, and my three favourite Moonspell songs belong to that release (Handmade God, Let The Children Cum To Me and Gloria Domini (V.C.)

OK then! Sorry. I thought you didn't know the rest Moonspell discgraphy.. But I don't like their electronic direction they have in these alboums..
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
20.08.2006 - 02:39
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 20.08.2006 at 02:29

OK then! Sorry. I thought you didn't know the rest Moonspell discgraphy.. But I don't like their electronic direction they have in these alboums..

Well, Sin/Pecado is certainly a gothic rock album, nothing to do with Metal.. clearly inspired by Fields Of The Nephilim, and that can't be bad if done well...
20.08.2006 - 02:47
Anathemani@c
Written by Guest on 20.08.2006 at 02:39

Written by Anathemani@c on 20.08.2006 at 02:29

Well, Sin/Pecado is certainly a gothic rock album, nothing to do with Metal.. clearly inspired by Fields Of The Nephilim, and that can't be bad if done well...

As you said.. If done well. I don't think Moonspell are the band to release such alboums.. I strongly recomend them to keep on thinking like they do now.But Moonspell is a band that likes to change, like Anathema and Paradise Lost. They play different music in every new release.So there is nothing to do generall, but it has to deal with every one personally - if he/she likes that kind of music or not...
----
Trapped in time
24.08.2006 - 00:38
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I don't know many stuff of this band, I only have the album "Wolfheart", my favorite songs are: "... Of Dream And Drama (Midnight Ride)", "Vampiria" and "An Erotic Alchemy"
Recently I heard one songs from the new album and seems to be really good, and "Irreligious" too, I'm looking forward to get these ones
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
24.08.2006 - 00:42
Nyarlatothep
Well if you have heard wolfheart You have the best album:-) Gert Irreligius as a second one-
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
25.08.2006 - 14:02
Anathemani@c
Written by Nyarlatothep on 24.08.2006 at 00:42

Well if you have heard wolfheart You have the best album:-) Gert Irreligius as a second one-

I suggest that you take a closer look at their last alboum Memorial. It is really good!
----
Trapped in time
25.08.2006 - 14:07
Anathemani@c
Written by The Alchemist on 24.08.2006 at 00:38

I don't know many stuff of this band, I only have the album "Wolfheart", my favorite songs are: "... Of Dream And Drama (Midnight Ride)", "Vampiria" and "An Erotic Alchemy"
Recently I heard one songs from the new album and seems to be really good, and "Irreligious" too, I'm looking forward to get these ones

Their new alboum Memorial is really good! Also Irreligius is a great alboum.. Opium is just .......
----
Trapped in time
25.08.2006 - 17:24
Nyarlatothep
Written by Anathemani@c on 25.08.2006 at 14:02

I suggest that you take a closer look at their last alboum Memorial. It is really good!

havent had a time to check out Memorial yet. Cover art is decent thought.
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
06.10.2006 - 12:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like early Moonspell stuff till 1995 album, after it only one song ''Opium''
I like when thay play more black/folk how gothic stuff only what I like in leither albums are Ricardo voice
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2006 - 19:06
DyNo!!
Account deleted
irreligious is a great great album, unfortunatly i never listen to their stuff after that, exept the song "everything invaded" that i think it's a great song too... do they continue to kick ass like the past??
10.10.2006 - 01:44
Stigmatized
Written by Nyarlatothep on 25.08.2006 at 17:24

Written by Anathemani@c on 25.08.2006 at 14:02

havent had a time to check out Memorial yet. Cover art is decent thought.

Some great tracks on that album. Finisterra is a just a purely evil song, you can see the video at this location-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnmLH29MLps

Also, there are some great instrumentals and Luna is, IMO, one of Moonspell's best songs ever.
16.03.2007 - 23:38
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
The first metal band that i've listened was Moonspell, so it's my main influence. "Butterfly Effect" was their worst album, to slow. As to the rest of the albuns i think that in general they're all good, altough "Irreligious" and "Wolfheart" are their best albuns. Moonspell live performances are very good because Fernando has a powerful voice and the other members are very good too (but not concerning beauty)
25.03.2007 - 04:15
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Is this forum "dead" because i've said something stupid? I was kidding
25.03.2007 - 21:37
Bash'
:)
Of course not .. well, Fernando's vox are my toppist fav. for harsh .. but never liked his clean ones while the music goes down .. that disturbs me to the max really
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
26.03.2007 - 02:41
Stigmatized
Oh man, Fernando's vocals are top-notch no matter what he does. He sounds (and looks) very evil.
31.03.2007 - 16:46
L..
It is my favorite band ! They're masters all. This album Memorial is good for me...
----
Viva aquele que se presta a esta ocupação
Salve o compositor popular
Salve o compositor popular.
31.03.2007 - 18:41
darksun
Fernando's voice is the most techniqual and understandable brutal vocal with Mikael sSanne and Peter Tagtgren.As well his clean vocals are so frigtening too.And the left of the band are great musicians.I listened to all the albums they made.My favorite is wolfheart and Sin_Pecado.Memorial is closer to black line;harder,more aggressive etc.Though i dislike black,i love to listen to memorial too.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
31.03.2007 - 19:41
Stigmatized
Even though I love M. Stanne's voice, I'd have to pick Fernando as the better of the two. You just can't beat the sheer.......darkness his voice gives off.
01.04.2007 - 23:15
darksun
I think three of them have great voices may be fernandos' is a bit stronger than the others.And another great point for him he rarely loses his voice in live singing.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
03.04.2007 - 03:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
I saw them alive few days ago and it was really cool, I like thir older albums more and it is bad they hardly play those songs but new material is also good, complete band with very little disadvanteges...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.04.2007 - 01:33
Robstar
Moonspell is a respectable band which have had great moments in their career...
Their unique style pushes then way up ...
Didn't like their lasted album... not the new one that is coming out , the one before that one...
----
Nothing is unreacheable
10.04.2007 - 18:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just poppin' in this corner of MS to tell you they have a great liveshow.

I have to admit I didn't really like their studio-albums, so I wasn't expecting much of their performance. But they were quite good, if not great! They had a beautifull backdrop, one who was invisible when there was white/green light, but appeared with red/blue light. Then a sort of graveyard scenery with a moon above it appeared. Really a nice surprise, I've never seen anything like that before! And when they finished their set, only the moon was kept visible until it slowly faded into the dark.

They performed well, so go and see them when they are around!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.04.2007 - 23:41
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Yeah, Moonspell live performances are worth seeing , although i only saw one Moonspell concert, but it was enough to realize that they are good
13.04.2007 - 00:28
Stigmatized
I don't know how long it's been since they came near here, but I wish they would. I'd be at that show in a heartbeat.
13.04.2007 - 00:55
_reborn_
I like Irreligious a lot...my favourite is Awake, and their new album is also amazing.

Can someone explain me why is Moonspell as a gothic band, and what does that mean cause I find it hard to recognize the gothic style.
02.07.2007 - 14:52
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I've recently checked out a band from Portugal called "Thragedium" whose their music is very similar to Moonspell's Memorial , In fact, you might notice that "Isolationist" (their 2nd full-length) contains a song written by Fernando Pessoa, recited by Moonspell's Fernando Ribeiro, accompanied by acoustic guitar and distinctive drumming. So if you like Memorial and Moonspell, you may like Thragedium.
06.07.2007 - 16:48
mansonnette
Account deleted
I saw them last year in Vilar de Mouros Festival. I liked a lot. What a show.:banger2:
12.10.2007 - 15:47
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
All Metal Music conducted an interview with Mike Gaspar on October 11, 2007. You can listen to the interview in two parts on YouTube on the followings links: Part1 and Part2.
16.10.2007 - 14:15
Esoptron
Account deleted
One of my favourite bands ever...I like all albums even The Buttefly Effect and Sin/Pecado which many do not like because they have weaker sound than Moonpsell have used us to listen and because of the experimental elements(industrial/electronica)...They have always had a unique sound and i believe that they are one of the few truly gothic Metal bands...They have added a lot to their music and have influences from doom metal,gothic rock and mix it to a very strong sound with heavy guitars along with melody...As for their newest album"Memorial"i found it great,although i didnt expect so heavy stuff...It has great songs inside(and i DONT mean tha hit Luna)and the whole feeling it creates is unique...