Metal Storm logo
Moonspell

Original post

Posted by Maim, 17.05.2006 - 09:51
I got their new album 'Memorial' a few weeks ago, and it's fucking awesome. It sounds like their older works fused with the material from their later releases, all to form one pretty monster album. Since Moonspell experiments a good bit with each album, all of their albums tend to have their own sound which makes them stand out from one another... which can be a hit or miss for a band. In my opinion though, Moonspell seems to hit more then they miss, which is something I hope they will keep up. Not to mention that they are also excellent live. So everyone, post your views/thoughts this band...
24.10.2008 - 19:50
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Jason W. on 06.10.2008 at 08:12

Next week on Friday will be my first time seeing Moonspell since 2001, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Was it good?
25.10.2008 - 01:32
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Stigmatized on 24.10.2008 at 17:37

I saw them play before Dimmu and the crowd just wasn't as into it as they were with Dimmu, which is understandable. The thing is, their sound was much better than Dimmu, who's keyboards were completley drowned out by the drums.

Written by Unconsecrated on 24.10.2008 at 19:50

Next week on Friday will be my first time seeing Moonspell since 2001, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Was it good?

Well, I'm going to echo what Stigmatized says as well: the crowd was there for Dimmu, and not really for Moonspell at all (and only somewhat for headliners Danzig, honestly). Also, Moonspell sounded great - perfect levels all around, and an inspiring performance. The problem, though, was that Moonspell's set was quite short considering their lengthy career that they barely were able to get going before their time was up. And, also, the crowd just was not there for them, though there was a decent amount of applause and cheers.

Compared to Moonspell's 2001 performance, they are miles above where they were back then, and actually look like a band at its peak instead of the boring performance from 7 years ago. A very good set, but it was 1/2 the time it needed to be, and the setlist was hit or miss with me. A few songs were great choices, while I think a few were missed, as well as a chance to play something off the "Under Satanae" disc.

And by the way, while Dimmu did put on a great set as well, their sound was terrible, and the levels were all over the place, as well as the keys not working throughout a whole song. But then again, that venue is not known for having a good sound to my ears. At least for once the overall volume was not absurdly high!

But yes, Moonspell was by far the best of the night, and both they and Dimmu blew away Danzig, which was downright redundant and sleep-inducing.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.10.2008 - 04:52
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I saw them 4 times and they played only song from the "Under The Moonspell" era namely "Opus Diabolicum". Man, i would love to see them play "Ancient Winter Goddess" from their first and only demo.
25.10.2008 - 18:13
Land Of Doom
Moonspell Has Development They Performance The Last three albums Memorial , Under Satanae And Night Eternal Are The Best Albums
Especially They Mixed The Gothic Metal With The Doom Metal
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
12.12.2008 - 21:22
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Click here to see a trailer for "Lusitanian Metal", the long-awaited new DVD from Portuguese metallers Moonspell.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
12.12.2008 - 23:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I hope to buy the DVD soon, it's really a treat.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.12.2008 - 23:56
Hamird
Lieutenant
Oh, it really hurts to wait for this DVD. I can't wait to watch it.
But why it will be released by Century-Media records and not SPV records?
13.12.2008 - 12:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 12.12.2008 at 23:56

"Wolfheart" 1995, "Irreligious" 1996, "Sin/Pecado" 1998, "The Butterfly Effect" 1999, "Darkness and Hope" 2001, and "The Antidote" 2003 albums were released by Century Media, and then they worked with SPV/Steamhammer. and now their DVD is releasing by Century Media again. its not so confusing.

I want to see it soon! and I'll buy it later cause now I dont have friends to buy and bring it for me lol! but I'll buy it for sure. I love Moonspell, they r one of the darkest<<< metal ever!
13.12.2008 - 14:26
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 13.12.2008 at 12:20

Written by Hamird on 12.12.2008 at 23:56

"Wolfheart" 1995, "Irreligious" 1996, "Sin/Pecado" 1998, "The Butterfly Effect" 1999, "Darkness and Hope" 2001, and "The Antidote" 2003 albums were released by Century Media, and then they worked with SPV/Steamhammer. and now their DVD is releasing by Century Media again. its not so confusing.

I want to see it soon! and I'll buy it later cause now I dont have friends to buy and bring it for me lol! but I'll buy it for sure. I love Moonspell, they r one of the darkest<<< metal ever!

Word. I knew they'd signed with Century Media untill Memorial, but I didn't thought about this..
31.12.2008 - 15:32
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
For you to know Moonspell will take part in a signing session before their concert at São Mamede CAE (Guimarães) on January 9th.
----
01.01.2009 - 11:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
That's cool. Too bad I don't live in Guimarães.
----

My Instagram
02.01.2009 - 15:38
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by BloodTears on 01.01.2009 at 11:12

Still you can make a little road trip to there! lol
----
02.01.2009 - 18:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by SlaytallicA on 02.01.2009 at 15:38

Written by BloodTears on 01.01.2009 at 11:12

Still you can make a little road trip to there! lol

For an autograph? I don't love them that much lol
----

My Instagram
08.01.2009 - 00:53
maf
Account deleted
It was my first time seeing them live on that tour especially Katatonia( long time favorite band since 2001) I got to meet Fernando and speak to him for a minute, really nice guy; they put on a great show.
24.04.2009 - 22:10
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Gonna go see them on Sunday and can't wait! Finally, I have been a fan for years now and I can't wait to see how awesome they are. And I hope they're gonna play some good old songs from Irreligius, Wolfheart and Sin/Pecado as well as the new stuff from Memorial and Night Eternal. Yaaay
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.04.2009 - 10:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They don't disappoint live, even for small crowds, they always put everything into it.
----

My Instagram
25.04.2009 - 12:58
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh, neat! I just love bands that put out as good as they do with bigger, massive crowds as well as for small amount of audience. Cause, TBH, Slovenia is a small country and there are usually max. 500 people on concerts. Even though probably most ppl are gonna go see CoF, but I'm there for Moonspell. And I'm acting like a lil girl getting her first barbie doll being all excited
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
29.04.2009 - 13:36
Slayer666
Written by AnGina-- on 25.04.2009 at 12:58

Oh, neat! I just love bands that put out as good as they do with bigger, massive crowds as well as for small amount of audience. Cause, TBH, Slovenia is a small country and there are usually max. 500 people on concerts. Even though probably most ppl are gonna go see CoF, but I'm there for Moonspell. And I'm acting like a lil girl getting her first barbie doll being all excited

Heh, same case with live shows here.... I was on the show here in Belgrade, that Moonspell shared with Turisas and Cradle. Even though I came for CoF, Moonspell played a few interesting songs (Finisterra, Night Eternal, Alma Mater, Luna.....) that got my atention, so I started to look more into them, I really don't know what to make of them. For every song I like, there are 2 more that I hate. Compared to Night Eternal, Wolfheart, Memorial etc. albums such as Sin/Pecado, The Butterfly Effect and such seem like jokes. Oh, yeah, Scorpion Flower kicks ass.
01.05.2009 - 17:05
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, I thought the show was freakin' amazing, I only wished they played a bit longer, they player for max. 50 minutes. But what surprised me the most was the amazing playlist, cause they played a lot of ''vintage'' songs and that really got me going But nonetheless, the performance was amazing and they really put themselves out there so if I get any more chances to see Moonspell, I'm definately there!
----
11.05.2009 - 13:05
Slayer666
I've been doing a little Youtube-ing, and I've just completed my search for their entire setlist that they played here (I didn't know what the songs were called, due to the fact I'm not much of a fan).
-At Tragic Heights (really awesome intro song)
-Luna
-Night Eternal
-Alma Mater
-Scorpion Flower
-Vampiria
-Finisterra
-Full Moon Madness (amaizng outro song, and by the end of it, Fernando took a pair of drummsticks and helped out with the drumming)
It's a shame I didn't pay more atention to them, because if I've known what songs those were, I might have appriciated the preformance more. Great setlist, all in all. Lucky for me, they restrained themselves from playing their highly crapy hits, such as Opium, The Butterfly FX, Magdalene and such.
16.05.2009 - 17:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Now I was listening to Antidote Album, its a masterpiece for sure, it was a long time which I was forgot about it. very nice album.
07.06.2009 - 11:24
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Despite that my favourite albums is two of the first albums - actually masterpieces - (irreligious, wolfheart) they seem to be one of the most constant bands in their career.
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
12.09.2009 - 00:54
MadGatsu
Moonspell is one of the few reasons that make me proud of being Portuguese. Lusitania m/
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
21.05.2011 - 01:24
Ghostdancer
This is definitely one of my favorite live bands mostly because of Fernando Ribeiro's charisma and stage presence. They also don't mind hanging out for the rest of the show talking to whoever wants to talk. I talked to Fernando after Moonspell's set when they were on the Blackest of the Black tour with Dimmu Borgir and Danzig (Danzig was a complete ass that night for a few different reasons). Fernando was just a cool guy...too bad Danzig limited them to four songs. (Didn't stick around for Danzig's set.)

I also saw them on tour with DevilDriver and Opeth in 2003. They put on a great show.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
21.05.2011 - 11:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Fernando is always nice, from my experience.

I'm curious about the new album, it's been a while. They did an acoustic tour recently in Portugal. Don't know if they took that to foreign lands.
----

My Instagram
21.05.2011 - 20:52
Ghostdancer
They didn't come through here on an acoustic tour. Too bad. I would have loved to have seen them again.
----
21.05.2011 - 21:02
Ghostdancer
Written by Jason W. on 25.10.2008 at 01:32

Written by Stigmatized on 24.10.2008 at 17:37

I saw them play before Dimmu and the crowd just wasn't as into it as they were with Dimmu, which is understandable. The thing is, their sound was much better than Dimmu, who's keyboards were completley drowned out by the drums.

Written by Unconsecrated on 24.10.2008 at 19:50

Was it good?

Well, I'm going to echo what Stigmatized says as well: the crowd was there for Dimmu, and not really for Moonspell at all (and only somewhat for headliners Danzig, honestly). Also, Moonspell sounded great - perfect levels all around, and an inspiring performance. The problem, though, was that Moonspell's set was quite short considering their lengthy career that they barely were able to get going before their time was up. And, also, the crowd just was not there for them, though there was a decent amount of applause and cheers.

Compared to Moonspell's 2001 performance, they are miles above where they were back then, and actually look like a band at its peak instead of the boring performance from 7 years ago. A very good set, but it was 1/2 the time it needed to be, and the setlist was hit or miss with me. A few songs were great choices, while I think a few were missed, as well as a chance to play something off the "Under Satanae" disc.

And by the way, while Dimmu did put on a great set as well, their sound was terrible, and the levels were all over the place, as well as the keys not working throughout a whole song. But then again, that venue is not known for having a good sound to my ears. At least for once the overall volume was not absurdly high!

But yes, Moonspell was by far the best of the night, and both they and Dimmu blew away Danzig, which was downright redundant and sleep-inducing.

Just curious about the show you saw. When I saw them, Danzig and his security goons wouldn't let the crowd in to see the first two bands. I can't remember for sure but it seems like the first band was Winds of Plague and the other band was Skeletonwitch. Those guys had to play to an empty hall. Then Danzig's security goons made everyone put their cellphones back in their cars and said if they found them inside the theater they would break them and throw people out.

After the first two bands played to an empty theater, Moonspell got to play four songs only. Dimmu Borgir got to play a longer set and it was good. But after their set the group I came with took a vote on whether or not to stay for Danzig. It was unanimous...we all decided to leave. I guess since Danzig had his ass handed to him on video it's just made him more of a douchebag. Whatever his trip is, I don't think I'll ever do another Blackest of the Black.
----
27.05.2011 - 17:39
It's hard to me to choose the best moonspell album because i love all their work and carreer. But to me wolfheart was remarkable because i thrilled when i first listen back in 1994
30.05.2011 - 05:26
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Been following moonspell since under the moonspell. I love this band. I think they're the only band who can combine black metal, death metal, power metal, classic metal, and gothic and do it well.
01.08.2011 - 00:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Apparently, on October 31st, Moonspell will play "Wolfheart" in its entirety for Portuguese fans It's meant to be an exclusive show.

I'll try to make sure I won't miss it.
----

My Instagram