Metal Storm logo
Ambient/black metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 11.07.2006 - 17:15
More and more we see black metal bands merging their sounds with a really "ambient" approach. Was wondering if anyone here knows a few of those bands.

Most known and talented bands include :

Nocternity (nothing short of AMAZING albums)
Vinterriket (he's got maybe too many albums but he's really good, and he joined Nocternity as keys player)
Paysage d'Hiver (great raw ambiance and some vinterriket styled keys passage)
03.09.2006 - 15:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2006 at 00:30

Especially Xasthur's latest album (soon to be released by Hydrahead) has a lot fo ambient shit in it. ambient and dronish bm. Great to sit back and listen to and be envelopped by it.

Yes, I agree, just got (downloaded) the full album, and it's awsome. It so much better then the promo. I wasn't eager to get into to Xasthur, but I'm gonna try now.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.09.2006 - 19:51
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Well, for me Velvet Cacoon's "Genevieve" is unbeatable in ambient Black Metal, other goods acts are some Wyrd stuff and... that's all... I'm generally not a big fan of BM mixed with ambient... for example, I love Urfaust, but I think the ambient is so badly done that at last ruin it all...
04.09.2006 - 21:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Tell me:

Are Drudkh and Alcest SUCH obvious examples, that noone mentions them, or are they not Ambient/Black? Because I thought they are. But how could you all forget about them?

*confused*
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.09.2006 - 01:20
Damnated
Churchburner
To me ambient bm is black metal mixed with some strange sounds, wich are not coming from guitars, nor drums, but syntetisers and other electronic stuff like that. Drudkh uses folk instruments to achieve the same atmospheric sound, and in Alcests case, I guess it's the guitars. SO to me, they're not ambient.

A new band I discovered lately is 'Darkspace' a project of Paysage d'Hiver guy, Wintherr with some other dude. The music is hollow, I can't descibe it beter then this, it's like your in space. But not in a psihedelic space ,in a black metal one
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
05.09.2006 - 09:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ok, I see. I don't know if I agree with you, but I'll just take your word for it.

I am at school at the moment, but I will check out all those bands listed here.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.11.2006 - 09:58
Vakshay
Account deleted
I see Alcest and Drudkh have already been mentioned, Aaskereia is also another good one to add. It would appease Drudkh fans. Velvet Cacoon are also worthy of a mention even if they are a joke band.

Here are some bands of this particular ilk I am interested in but haven't heard. Can anyone fill me in?

Ashes (UK)
Astrofaes (ukr)

...hehehe...ilk
16.11.2006 - 13:31
Damnated
Churchburner
I have 'Funeral Forest' from ahes, and it's pretty good ambient bm with paganic influences. the stuff is very rare even on p2ps, so good luck finiding anything.
there was a time when I really liked Astrofaes, but they got old after a while.

however, everyone interested in ambient bm should check out Extinction and the new Negura Bunget album
----

16.11.2006 - 14:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 16.11.2006 at 13:31

however, everyone interested in ambient bm should check out Extinction and the new Negura Bunget album

You mean OM?
I hawnt hear it yet, I think its be out in november?
How it sounds, is it diferent how others NB albums?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.11.2006 - 15:32
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 16.11.2006 at 14:17

You mean OM?
I hawnt hear it yet, I think its be out in november?
How it sounds, is it diferent how others NB albums?

om was released at the and of october and yes, it is a bit different from the previous albums: it has a lot more ambient elements, and the instrumental parts are predominant, there are tracks that barely have any vocals.it's in the top 5 of 2006
----

17.11.2006 - 03:40
Vakshay
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 16.11.2006 at 13:31

I have 'Funeral Forest' from ahes, and it's pretty good ambient bm with paganic influences. the stuff is very rare even on p2ps, so good luck finiding anything.
there was a time when I really liked Astrofaes, but they got old after a while.

Don't worry I know where I can get hold of it. Astrofaes, being a project of Drudkh members, does it have any similarities to Drudkh? Also I think Extinction are a bit more noisy/Abruptum-esque wouldn't you say? Still I suppose a pretty solid atmosphere from what I've heard.
17.11.2006 - 07:56
Zombie, M.D.
Written by Guest on 17.11.2006 at 03:40

Also I think Extinction are a bit more noisy/Abruptum-esque wouldn't you say? Still I suppose a pretty solid atmosphere from what I've heard.

The Black Hex is definitley done in the Abruptum vein, infact a little too simmilar sometimes. I guess Down Below the Fog could be considered ambient black metal but I didnt make the association myself. The overall texture is more rough and overbearing than with other ambient black metal bands.

Sort Vokter is worth a mention as well.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
17.11.2006 - 09:26
Vakshay
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 17.11.2006 at 07:56

Sort Vokter is worth a mention as well.

Stark contrast to Ildjarn then? I think the same guy is behind both.
17.11.2006 - 10:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 17.11.2006 at 03:40

Astrofaes, being a project of Drudkh members, does it have any similarities to Drudkh?

it has a similar feeling to Drudkh, but muscialy the similarity is minimal.
----

17.11.2006 - 11:39
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 09:58

Here are some bands of this particular ilk I am interested in but haven't heard. Can anyone fill me in?

Ashes (UK)
Astrofaes (ukr)

...hehehe...ilk

The first ashes album is quite good. Raw, moderately abrasive black metal with some keyboard parts but it all fits together well. nothing original but had its own style. the 'Hymns to a grey sky' album, however, is one of the most overwhelmingly boring releases ever and its pretentious as hell. all ambient in the most unengaging way. i managed to trade it for the spear of longinus demo though so..... yay!

I only had the 'to those whose past is immortal' album by astrofaes. not a million miles away from drudkh, though perhaps a bit darker sounding.

At the moment im really enjoying the Emit album and Paysage D'Hiver's 'Schattengang'. You need to be in the right mood to enjoy them but i reccomend them.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
17.11.2006 - 12:29
Damnated
Churchburner
Emit is a band I've never gotten into. didn;t hear the LP yet, so gonna try and get it. maybe it will change my image about the band
----

17.11.2006 - 12:29
Vakshay
Account deleted
Is it the Schattengang CD release? The last Paysage d'hiver song I heard (and the only one) was 20 mins long and pretty boring, guess it is something that requires the right mood then.

I have heard people say the Emit album is similar to their seminal work 'Unknown Presences Whisper' which I really enjoyed. Is this true?
17.11.2006 - 15:26
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
its the recent cd release, yes. you need to be in the right mood and the right environment. put it on a loud with a good set of speakers in a dark room and lie down. tis good. the only other paysage D' Hiver stuff ive heard is a 20 minute song on a VA compilation. it was different to this cd. not sure whether i think its better or worse, just different.

EDIT: i haven't heard that emit tape so can't comment. i reccomend the 'sword of death' album though.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
03.01.2008 - 17:05
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I Shalt Become (aka Birkenau),summoning and even graveland and Burzum come to mind when talking about ambient influenced BM... when talking about music, the music itself describes itself best... so I'm not going to use words to describe their music.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
03.01.2008 - 17:56
Damnated
Churchburner
anyone interested in ambient bm should check out the american Chaos Moon. they released two full-lengths in 2007. they are just amazing.
----

03.01.2008 - 18:12
W-Lash
Metal Master
Dude, you have to check Forest Silence! This band from Hungary has got 3 demos and 1 album. 2 of them are more ambient, other 2 are like ambient black metal. Very good stuff! And Nefarious is good too (side project of one of Forest Silence musicians).
If you need black metal with less ambient music on it then you could try Hate Forest.
03.01.2008 - 20:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 03.01.2008 at 18:12

Dude, you have to check Forest Silence! This band from Hungary has got 3 demos and 1 album. 2 of them are more ambient, other 2 are like ambient black metal. Very good stuff! And Nefarious is good too (side project of one of Forest Silence musicians).
If you need black metal with less ambient music on it then you could try Hate Forest.

I know band thay are great man I had those demo too realy awsome band i foud tham som 2 weeks ago in MA
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2008 - 21:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by W-Lash on 03.01.2008 at 18:12

Dude, you have to check Forest Silence! This band from Hungary has got 3 demos and 1 album. 2 of them are more ambient, other 2 are like ambient black metal. Very good stuff!

The Eternal Winter is one of the best demos ever recorded. it used to be my obsession for months. i used to dislike Philosophy of Winter, but by time it has grown on me. overall i still like this band very much, although i've gotten bored with this whole sub genre. so, recommendation seconded.
----

05.01.2008 - 04:27
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I think Xasthur is a very good example for Ambient Black. Malefic's work is very minbd emoving. Alot of the riffs can just put you in a trance, great stuff. I will check out all these other bands mentionned in here.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
21.06.2009 - 05:23
Crast
I would guess that most people have no clue about this band, but Obitus's latest album has perhaps some of the qualities described here. Although the music is very harsh black metal, with an industrial vibe to it, there are longer parts of the latest CD that are more in the ambient sense.

Either way, if people enjoy other bands suggested here, they might enjoy Obitus too.

Obitus@MySpace

.:crast:.

(As an added bonus, you get to hear some guest vocals by me, haha, )
21.06.2009 - 10:11
Hellkommando
I enjoy all forms of black metal, I agree with CarrionShine Xasthur's stuff is pretty good in terms of ambient black metal. Also Nortt and any of Wrest's stuff is good (Lurker of Chalice. Leviathan) I especially think Nortt's stuff is pretty awesome in terms of atmosphere and ambience.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
18.10.2009 - 05:39
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Ambient is good in any style of metal as long as its done tastefully.
18.10.2009 - 11:11
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I've actually just started to collect a few ABM bands, most of it I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it but, I started gathering it because it often gets lumped in with DSBM and/or contains members from some DSBM bands.

Deep-Pression (seems like 80% of their releases are singles)
Elysian Blaze (Aussie one man band, more alongs the lines of Xasthur)
Cold Life
Black Vomit (also describe as psychadelic BM...)
26.10.2009 - 08:51
Every time i listen to coldworld my pants get shorter.
----
i'm going to wacken 2011, if someone wants to join me please contact me. also looking for a german pal (english or spanish spoken) who let me stay with him/her at his/her place for a month.
PLEASE HELP A METAL BROTHER IN NEED
01.11.2009 - 04:40
RDO
Account deleted
Written by WeinerShrinkerMX on 26.10.2009 at 08:51

Every time i listen to coldworld my pants get shorter.
[/quote

You need a new pair.
01.11.2009 - 13:32
Brave
These bands i heard it "Bann, Elffor, Lurker of Chalice, Darkspace, Striborg, Vrolok"