Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
08.10.2006 - 22:24
darksun
i am just listening to wish you were here and trying to stand not to cry.Actually most of people remember pink floyd with another brick in the wall,to me w.y.w.h is a masterpiece.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
09.10.2006 - 04:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by darksun on 08.10.2006 at 22:24

i am just listening to wish you were here and trying to stand not to cry.Actually most of people remember pink floyd with another brick in the wall,to me w.y.w.h is a masterpiece.

Yes, I must agree. I am a huge fan of 'Wish You Were Here.' Of course, different people may remember Pink Floyd as a number of different things. As I remember them by this album and 'The Wall' others may identify them by 'The Darkside of the Moon' or 'Atom Heart Mother.' That is what is truly great about them. They can appeal to so many different people as so many different things.
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.10.2006 - 11:22
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
I'm one of the very few people who prefer the Gilmour-era Floyd - even though I've heard all their albums (except the first one) and quite enjoy them, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, Delicate Sound Of Thunder, Division Bell and P.U.L.S.E. have the most appeal to me. Gilmour's vocals and guitars are awesome in this period, and the two live albums are absolute perfection.

Even though many say that these are basically Gilmour's solo albums, for some reason his actual solo album (recently released) doesn't sound like Pink Floyd at all

I've also seen the Wizard Of Oz synchronization - it fits in so many ways, it's creepy. Btw, the musicians themselves deny any concious connection, saying that they surely didn't try to synchronize anything in the studio.
13.10.2006 - 15:10
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Words cannot describe how important and impressive and beautiful Pink Floyd have been, icons of our ages.
13.10.2006 - 15:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
I respect this band, one of my moms favourite bands. They have pretty good solos, but that's pretty much it IMO
----
14.10.2006 - 07:07
Anthem
For late Pink Floyd bloomers...... Division Bell is a well written album, floyds best post Waters!
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
18.12.2006 - 10:49
Feathers
Account deleted
Written by Ivan on 09.10.2006 at 11:22

Gilmour's vocals and guitars are awesome in this period, and the two live albums are absolute perfection.

I've also seen the Wizard Of Oz synchronization - it fits in so many ways, it's creepy. Btw, the musicians themselves deny any concious connection, saying that they surely didn't try to synchronize anything in the studio.

Totally agree with you... Gilmour's vocals are amazing... and his Meltdown Concert, i absolutly love the cello arrangements for High Hopes and Wish you were here... he can even sing an opera area succesfully. One of the three best shows i've ever seen. My favorite albums... Division Bell, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals.

It is creepy The Wizard of Oz synchronization... i specially like the The Great Gig In The Sky and Brain Damage tracks there.
22.12.2006 - 16:17
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Since Meddle to The Wall its legendary stuff for me

damn Roger Waters = Pink floyd

i will se him on march 2007 here in guadalajara mexico awesome!!!
----
Stay Metal !!!
28.12.2006 - 13:25
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
i Love Pink Floyd one of my Fav. bands after Megadeth.............im gona see Roger Waters next year too in Dubai Sooo excited!!!
07.01.2007 - 08:27
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Not a huge fan of Pink Floyd, I preferred The Stones, but I really like 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn'. It's one of my all time favorite albums. Great music when you're under the influence, or just when you wish you were.
07.01.2007 - 19:41
LethargyMan
Did you know that Weird Al's Even Worse album synchs up with the classic Christmas film Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer? The song "Fat" plays during a scene in which Santa talks to elves.

And no... I am not joking about this whatsoever... but it just goes to show you that there is indeed such a thing as coincidences.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
10.01.2007 - 21:35
Huldre
Pink Floyd is my favourite band... I LOVE them! <3 I'm going to see roger waters live in April.. The happiest day of my life;)
27.01.2007 - 02:02
Dalcyonir
Account deleted
Floyd Rock,All Members are perfect and the group is unique!
My Favorite is Dark Side Of The Moon because of...everything:P
28.01.2007 - 21:32
Empress
I am huge fan, did I mention HUGE!. I don't think there is anything that they put out that I don't like even the weird stuff like "animals". It's not one that I play often but I love the fact that they weren't afraid to step out of the comfort zones and produce something new. I own every album they put out but I would have to say the ones that get the most play would be "Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell".
10.02.2007 - 19:29
W-Lash
Metal Master
Does Pink Floyd has got any other albums like Pulse? It's awesome and i need similar stuff.
22.02.2007 - 09:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 13.10.2006 at 15:20

I respect this band, one of my moms favourite bands. They have pretty good solos, but that's pretty much it IMO

Hhaha solos man if you see them live those solos can be longer then I dunno
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2007 - 08:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 10.02.2007 at 19:29

Does Pink Floyd has got any other albums like Pulse? It's awesome and i need similar stuff.

Uh...wasn't Pulse an live album? It's a good concert though...
23.02.2007 - 16:29
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Author on 23.02.2007 at 08:15

It was live but it's quality is brilliant.
24.02.2007 - 04:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 23.02.2007 at 16:29

Written by Author on 23.02.2007 at 08:15

It was live but it's quality is brilliant.

In that case I would suggest Delicate Sound Of Thunder...My parents had that album and my sister pawned it for some reason...I guess we needed the money back then...from what I remember, the quality is also excellent and it's a great recreation of classic hits...
26.02.2007 - 16:05
darksun
I always believed that Pink Floyd is too good for music.They are sth different that i never name.All the members of the band just like the shadow of god for me.I always wonder whether they will write a bullshit or a usual song..As the reunion will be a story and gilmour never wanna be with waters again,i can say they will never do it.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
04.03.2007 - 14:46
trendkiller
Account deleted
I've often said that Pink Floyd must be the greatest band ever, and I'm still sticking in that opinion. As someone said, there are no words to describe Floyd - it's just so much more than that. I love Pink Floyd. I can't really say what is it that makes them so awesome.
They are just brilliant.
04.03.2007 - 16:15
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by darksun on 26.02.2007 at 16:05

I always believed that Pink Floyd is too good for music.They are sth different that i never name.All the members of the band just like the shadow of god for me.I always wonder whether they will write a bullshit or a usual song..As the reunion will be a story and gilmour never wanna be with waters again,i can say they will never do it.

I think it's the other way around: Waters doesn't want to join forces with Gilmour.
Anyway, David Gilmour released abrilliant album (IMO) last year - it's called On An Island. and I also want to recommend you the album that Richard Wright released in 1996 entitled Broken China. A must have for Pink Floyd fans/listeners and for all those who enjoy progressive rock.
08.03.2007 - 05:00
Bitch Boy
I went yesterday to the Roger Waters gig here in Mexico City. He fucking kicks ass
14.03.2007 - 23:37
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Has to be in the top 10 for best bands ever; or most influential anyway.
25.03.2007 - 13:03
Anathemani@c
I trully find Pink Floyd the most influential band and absolutely the best band ever! They are a whole music idiom theirselves!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
25.04.2007 - 18:42
charon
Account deleted
Pink floyd are simply outstanding i absolutley adore their music.My 2 favourite albums have to be darkside of the moon and the final cut.
26.04.2007 - 04:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I've never been a big fan of prog in general, However I have a lot of respect for this band. recently I bought "The Wall" on DVD. A masterpiece.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.05.2007 - 03:42
Inlé
I love their psychedelic first few albums in particular, but pretty much everything they've done (with the possible execption of Atom Heart Mother) is fantastic.

A Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the gates of dawn and Wish You Were Here = fave albums.

Favourite song is a toss up between Cirrus Minor and the epic Shine on... (I-IV)
28.05.2007 - 17:13
villain
Its a great band indeed.
But what ticks me off is these wannabe's rating about "another brick on the wall" (which a lot of them refer to as "we dont need no education":gunner: ) and "wish you were here" whenever they mention this band. I assume thats all they've heard from PF. I'm not saying those are bad songs but it's quite unfair to other great songs (PF fans you know them).

Two albums that are essential would be - Dark Side of the Moon , The Wall
I guess Rogers Waters has been the heart of the band after Barret left.

My favourite floyd song at the moment - Pigs on the Wing
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
29.05.2007 - 00:25
Alex Smith
Pink Floyd is the one of my favorite bands too. "The Division Bell" is the greatest album for all the times. A lot of years I can't constrain the tears, listening to "High Hopes".