Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
30.08.2006 - 16:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by -tom- on 05.08.2006 at 12:05

hes defenitly up there as one of the best. being a good guitar player isn't about how technical you are, its about how it sounds. hendrix was pretty simplistic in comparson to some guitarists nowadays but he was completly original and no other bands have the same kind of delirium inducing melodies that hendrix had.

on the recently released dvd of his set at woodstock he links 2 songs with this brilliant solo that lasts about 5 minutes. it just amazes me that this was in 1969! there was nothing like that at the time

if you have technicity,you are able to produce a better sound than just "visualising" it
but no,jimi hendrix was not the best guitar player of all time.imo that place is reserved for yngwie malmsteen, joe satriani(kirk hammet's teacher),or michaelangelo batio
but anyway,in 1969,he was top of the world when it comes to guitar playing.the only guy that has anything on him is jimmy page...
30.08.2006 - 17:54
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Valentin B on 30.08.2006 at 16:08

if you have technicity,you are able to produce a better sound than just "visualising" it

but having more ideas is certainly worth more than being better from a technical standpoint, right? as long as you are good enough to make those ideas into music.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
30.08.2006 - 18:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
imo being very technical counts.if you are very creative but a medium guitarist,many of your ideas could go to waste,whereas when having a good technique,you can "test" the ideas and come up with a better sound, regardless of the riff's or solo's or whatever you're trying to do's complexity and technicality
of course,creativity is very good,but creativity+technique=much better sound(yngwie for example)
ontopic:i heard he didn't even know how to read music...that way he must be a genius or something
18.09.2006 - 19:19
Quardt
Account deleted
he may not be the best technicaly guitarist but he is defently one of the most important guitarist in history
18.09.2006 - 19:20
Quardt
Account deleted
he may not be the best technicaly guitarist but he is defently one of the most important guitarist in history
20.09.2006 - 00:55
hottercraft
It's difficult to say because there were (and now there are) too many good guitarists in the world of Metal, but I think that Jimi Hendrix can be probably one of the best guitarists ever, he was important and still is.
24.09.2006 - 17:54
Anthem
Most influencial YES

Best guitar player No

their are sixteen year olds today that basically kill guitarists of earlier generations.
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
26.09.2006 - 02:29
Winter Death
Account deleted
"The Best" is a subjective opinion. Most people would say he is one of the best because of the advancement he brought to the art of the guitar. Because of this, he is also one of the most influential.

It is important to remember bluescaponne, that sixteen-year-old kids play what they play because of the innovation that was created by the earlier generations. This art form has and is evolving, and that doesn't make the contributions of the past any less valuable than what is being pumped out today.
26.09.2006 - 19:18
Tydirium
Account deleted
He is neither subjective nor objective the best player ever...
He has a certain importance and had great influence on many
other important guitar player, but techniqually he is not able
to match with dozens of other players...
01.10.2006 - 17:23
Anthem
Winter, I was not degrading Jimi at all. I am a huge fan.

I recognize he has been the MOST influecial guitarist ever. As to your point about influence and innovation, Jimi got most of his licks from earlier
blues greats Albert King and Buddy Guy. I would urge any Jimi fan to delve back further into blues to learn the greats.

I will make the arguement that Jimi Page is almost equally important as a guitarist. Of the 10 studio zep albums nearly EVERY song
has been aired on radio, almost a hit and there are as many Zeppelin t shirts in my kids school today as Hendrix shirts.

That is one indicator to the influence of other generations. Again I love Hendrix, but music is such an eb and flow thing thats constantly changing!
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
03.10.2006 - 19:20
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I saw while ago a documentary about Jimi Hendrix , they interwiewed large number of guitarists and music makers in his era , including Jeff Beck,Bob Dylan,Eric Clapton,Pete Townsend and so forth and everybody agreed that his impact to the music overall was devastating after initial shock everybody were amazed his potential and they had no idea how to top that , they could not match his electrifying performance

No wonder why he got millions of disciples around the world
The original question , being the best? Among the guitar legends only Keith Richards thinks that he is one of the kind , rest of them feels that without him they wouldn't be there
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
11.10.2006 - 06:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In his time he was the best. Nowadays he would not be that good, obviously. I mean, we have Satriani and Vai and Romeo and Petrucci and all these "guitar gods".

He is one of the most important in history. He was skilled for his time, but nowadays if we copare him to the guys I mentioned he would not be that good. It is simply a matter of ages. In his time he qwas the best. Now he is not. IMHO his performance had a lot to do too, playing guitar with his teeth or his tongue or whatever.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.10.2006 - 01:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Time to reapeat everyone else:

Good? yes
Really Good? yes
One of the most influential Guitarists ever? Yes

Best ever? Nope.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
19.10.2006 - 10:31
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Arian Totalis on 12.10.2006 at 01:39

Time to reapeat everyone else:

Good? yes
Really Good? yes
One of the most influential Guitarists ever? Yes

Best ever? Nope.

U R totally right, thats exactly what I was gonna say...
I find his "star spangled banner" very amusing...
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
23.10.2006 - 18:00
marillionfan
Account deleted
Hendrix is not tHE best guitar player, but he was and still is revolutionary for the world of rock music, he was a very original guitarist, way ahead of the times (I mean the 60s). one of the most influential guiarists ever.
01.11.2006 - 15:56
Sunioj
I dont think hes the best ever, hes differrent for his time and so thats why people think hes a god, I appreciate his music, and he does some whacky moves.

What I see constantly is people comparing guitarists and how good they are technically. The fact is that there is a billion good guitarists out there, but the out of that billion I choose a favored few, because they use their technique in the way I like it.
24.11.2006 - 16:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Some girls in my class showed the whole class a video clip with Hendrix ... and I must say that he's talented for being a 60s man, but the solos he played was something any experienced metal band guitarist should know how to play.
----
27.11.2006 - 05:34
MigraineBoy
In terms of innovation and influence, yes, he's the best
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
30.11.2006 - 06:08
-Painkiller-
Account deleted
he was always innovating and was very original, he was the best in his time but i dont think hes the best ever
02.12.2006 - 23:49
okt31
Account deleted
Being the best he is not. But very influential.. And you know technically the best is hard to tell. Most of us would say Yngwie Malmsteen, Chris Impellitteri, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, M A Batio, Rusty Cooley and others but there are a lot of insanely technical players who might slay these aforementioned ones with their technique but the lack of ideas lead them to nowhere.. Or not really nowhere but they remain less k known.
So the best is a mixture of 3 factors: greatly technical, instantly recognizable and very vreative. My choice is Victor Smolski.
05.12.2006 - 01:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Its probably been repeated many times but ill say it anyways, influencial, but not the best. He did come up with a few good tricks like playing the guitar upside down so the whammy bar could be at the top so he could play the whammy bar with his wrist while playing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.12.2006 - 10:58
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Jimi Hendrix might not be "the best" compared to some of the guitarists around nowadays, but in my opinion he was the most influential.
16.12.2006 - 09:25
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Jimi's talents cannot be questioned, he is a very skilled guitarist.
But I think, no one should be called 'best ever' because everyone have their own limitations or specialities.
What about those highly talented guitarists (whom we don't know)who never got an opportunity to show their talent?
----
that which shines without names and forms...
19.12.2006 - 04:56
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Heisnot thebest guitar player but one ofthe best because he have created someting new for guitarists.
19.12.2006 - 05:03
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Heisnot thebest guitar player but one ofthe best because he have created someting new for guitarists.
25.12.2006 - 20:00
Ultraraw
Account deleted
i think Hendrix is not the best Guitarist
29.12.2006 - 09:46
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
i dont think hes the bet guitarists maybe at tht time for those "fans" yeaa but now there r more and more awsome guitarists soo u cant really compare between Hendrix and them soo.........i think Jimi Hendrix is an awsome guitarist coz every song he plys is bascially messed up and he still makes it sound awsome!
11.01.2007 - 00:12
Dan066
Account deleted
I'm pretty much going to agree with most of the people here, Jimi's not the greatest guitar player ever, but he sure is one of the most influential of all time.
15.01.2007 - 20:50
drum fiend
Account deleted
yes for rock and blues he is the best guitar player. in the metal genre he cant even compare. he is a good guitarist though but there are people in other genres that could take him. its just a matter of the genre.
27.02.2007 - 17:09
Lord TJ
Im sorry if im repeating anyone else because I didnt read everyone elses posts.

I think there is no "best guitarist" because everyone has their own style. You cant put Randy Rhoads and Eric Clapton next to eachotehr and try to decide, its like apples and oranges, they dont compare.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage