Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
27.02.2007 - 21:42
darksun
Written by Lord TJ on 27.02.2007 at 17:09

Im sorry if im repeating anyone else because I didnt read everyone elses posts.

I think there is no "best guitarist" because everyone has their own style. You cant put Randy Rhoads and Eric Clapton next to eachotehr and try to decide, its like apples and oranges, they dont compare.

What a great comment.The best post here.I absolutely agree with you.David Gilmour is the one with most touchy solos for me.Steve Vai,Malmsteen,Satriani,Petrucci are the ones with excelent technique.Jimi Hendrix;he is a legend and may be the first most known guitarist with zappa.WE can't never decide on someone cuz we all have different tastes.We all just have to feel big respects to all these brilliant guys.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
08.03.2007 - 06:17
BehindSpace336
He was good and amazingly creative, but in my own opinion, he wouldn't be considered to be the best guitarist ever. But he does rank high
05.05.2007 - 19:44
tip,sleeve
Account deleted
I completely agee with tjd but I'd like to say to @behindspace336 that If u still want to compare hendrix to other guitar players you should look to first guitarplayer from his generation second, playin what he is playin or I should say better inventing I think that without Hendrix nowa days guitar heroes wouldn't be!
12.05.2007 - 12:24
Throne of Rats
Being the best guitar player ever cannot be answered with whois the fastest shredder or who knows more notes, it the creativity and thats why Hendrix is on top of the list for me. Amazing musician.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
18.05.2007 - 17:20
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I think jimi was definately a fantastic guitarist. He was certainly the most creative guitar player of all time. But i do have other guitarist that i would rather listen too. John Petrucci is one, Marty Friedman, Kurk Hammett, Dave Mustaine, Mikeal Akerfeldt.
20.05.2007 - 02:00
Darktonny
Account deleted
I think he is, along with Jimmy Page, of course.
22.05.2007 - 03:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
yngwie tries to be Hendrix. and fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LTzlGAdfo
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.05.2007 - 16:32
Lord TJ
What do all of you consider as being the best? There are different things and levels people are good at on guitar. Micheal Angelo is said to be the fastest guitarist on the planet, but it doesnt necessarilly mean hes the best guitarist.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
09.06.2007 - 02:18
selken
Irreligious
not a t all, being the first is not being the best (of course he's not the first guitarist but the first to experiment with amps), Jimmy Hendrix played an importan role in the development of rock music, he's a pionneer and at his time he was the best, however, many heavy metal guitarists can overshadow with ease the skills of Hendrix, for example, Alexi Laho, Kiko Loureiro, Timo Tolkki, even non-metal such as Isaac Albeniz and other classic guitar players.
However TJ Ð is right. And also there were different times, sometimes being a pionneer is harder than perfectionate a trend, furthermore is like we were comparing actual computers with abaccus, or pong with a PS3 game.
----
10.06.2007 - 19:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by selken on 09.06.2007 at 02:18

not a t all, being the first is not being the best (of course he's not the first guitarist but the first to experiment with amps), Jimmy Hendrix played an importan role in the development of rock music, he's a pionneer and at his time he was the best, however, many heavy metal guitarists can overshadow with ease the skills of Hendrix, for example, Alexi Laho, Kiko Loureiro, Timo Tolkki, even non-metal such as Isaac Albeniz and other classic guitar players.
However TJ Ð is right. And also there were different times, sometimes being a pionneer is harder than perfectionate a trend, furthermore is like we were comparing actual computers with abaccus, or pong with a PS3 game.

I couldn't have said it better.
----
11.06.2007 - 01:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Given with what he had Jimi was the best, for his time. I remember going into this discussion with my dad, and he told me back when he was growing up (hes maybe 4 or 5 years younger than Jimi would be) guitar players werent as dime-a-dozen as they are now, so finding an actual guitar teacher was rare, where as now you can find 12 year olds playing Hendrix type stuff because they have access to top notch lessons. Think of it that way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.06.2007 - 22:33
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
I play guitar and have an album by practically every solo guitarist known to man, i dont believe there is a "best" guitarist as jimi was amazing at blues and stuff where as some one like rusty cooley is awesome at metal shred.
If asked jimi to play metal and rusty to play blues i doubt they could so i dont think there is a best guitarist.
25.06.2007 - 12:55
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i think Hendrix was a pioneer in the way a guitar should sound. but he just doesnt strike me as a guitarist with absurd talent. its probably just me but his coveted "national anthem" rendition, to me, is just a distorted mess of feedback. its auditorily unenjoyable. disagree if you want.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.06.2007 - 15:13
Lothroniell
Account deleted
I think that he was a fantastic guitarist. But maybee he's not best... :
26.06.2007 - 18:20
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by LeChron James on 25.06.2007 at 12:55

his coveted "national anthem" rendition, to me, is just a distorted mess of feedback.
Youre totally right here, but dont you think that was his intention?? :
----
27.06.2007 - 02:25
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Stalker on 26.06.2007 at 18:20

Written by LeChron James on 25.06.2007 at 12:55

his coveted "national anthem" rendition, to me, is just a distorted mess of feedback.
Youre totally right here, but dont you think that was his intention?? :

it could have been his intention, but then again guitarists over emphasize things during live performances all the time. i cant think of any specific examples but its been done before, im sure.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.06.2007 - 01:10
Ellie
Account deleted
It's not that he was the best guitar player in the world due to skill..it was the magic he created using the guitar. I think it would be pretty impossible to decide who the best guitarist in the world was due to so many different music styles and all the infinite possibilities the guitar has. Stevie Ray Vaughn is my favourite guitar player of all time but that doesn't mean that I think he is the best guitarist in the world..we all just adapt to different styles. Hendrix spoke to a lot of people with his music. His music gave feelings.
29.08.2007 - 09:26
Dan066
Account deleted
He's probably one of the most influencial, but not the best guitar play ever when it comes to skill.
29.08.2007 - 11:06
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by [user id=24489] on 28.06.2007 at 01:10

It's not that he was the best guitar player in the world due to skill..it was the magic he created using the guitar. I think it would be pretty impossible to decide who the best guitarist in the world was due to so many different music styles and all the infinite possibilities the guitar has. Stevie Ray Vaughn is my favourite guitar player of all time but that doesn't mean that I think he is the best guitarist in the world..we all just adapt to different styles. Hendrix spoke to a lot of people with his music. His music gave feelings.

Well said.
----
29.08.2007 - 19:21
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 29.08.2007 at 11:06

Written by [user id=24489] on 28.06.2007 at 01:10

Well said.

Thanks; gorgeous
29.08.2007 - 19:58
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by [user id=24489] on 29.08.2007 at 19:21

Thanks; gorgeous

Youre welcome.
----
18.09.2007 - 22:24
?Master?
Account deleted
i dont think hes the best
hes talented as fuk but not the best
probably the most influential and breakthrough guitarist but not the best
12.10.2007 - 02:26
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
wow I started listening to Hendrix again! The dude's amazing! Maybe not the #1 best axeman ever like everyone makes him out to be......but sooooo ahead ov his time and so influencial!

14.10.2007 - 00:21
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@[southern]metal:

*cough* I just learned that Jimi Hendrix's final album had nudity on the cover , well the UK version haha. Nice
15.10.2007 - 11:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [southern]metal on 13.10.2007 at 19:08

He was good, but not the best. He was very influential for the style of blues-rock, but not so much metal in my opinion. He had a tendency to be very sloppy and just make noise, which I don't really see as that great, and this coming from a guy who listens to grindcore lol.

Well in tat case what music lsitened Led Zep, BS and so on and even 80ties bands ... Jimi was one of them better Jimi how Killerwitch Angade or what was that band name
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.10.2007 - 23:23
Apollyon
Account deleted
well his guitar riffs are not that difficult by todays standards, but he did things that no one else did at that time, he had some really cool moves and the feeling he put into his playing was awesome, its not all about skill, he has influenced and will continue to influence hundreds of guitarists around the world
22.10.2007 - 20:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26485] on 20.10.2007 at 23:23

well his guitar riffs are not that difficult by todays standards, but he did things that no one else did at that time, he had some really cool moves and the feeling he put into his playing was awesome, its not all about skill, he has influenced and will continue to influence hundreds of guitarists around the world

But in that time such play was new for mass public(some bluesmans can do it in 30ties ) too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.11.2007 - 23:28
Sonsofsabbath
No, he was just ahead of his time, like most great artists. There are guitarists that are far more tecnically talented, but they lack hendrix's vision and ingenuity.
01.12.2007 - 23:35
Smurfophagist
Jimmy Hendrix was the first man who discovered all the secrets that lie inside of an electric guitar. I wouldn't really say he is the best guitar player in the world, but definitely, he's somewhere near the top.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
04.12.2007 - 08:16
ArcanaHereticae
Fuck no. The question was "the best... ever?" No, not at all. Have you heard some of the guitarists today? Christ no, by far is he NOT the best. He may have been groundbreaking for his time, but that was not the question.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.