Metal Storm logo
What do you think about punk?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.08.2006 - 12:33
hi.i want to say this is not a discussion about punkers,but more about the music.i personally think that if you need a break from metal,punk is a good choice.it doesn't have the agression,but since that is what metal is about,it won't be a problem.also i enjoy the optimistic vocals,and the sheer fun-sounding atmosphere of 80-90s punk.i don't enjoy that much the old-school punk.
other than that i think punk loses its originality and novelty value fast,if those values haven't already been lost.also i tend to get bored of punk,although i haven't listened to that much amount of this music type.
so,this is what i like and dislike about punk.what do YOU think?
25.12.2006 - 16:28
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Guest on 25.12.2006 at 15:54

I must object in the name of jesus puncher...( because waht u said could offend me too )...if someone is a punk or hardcore fan doesn't mean he knows little about metal...or vice versa...I like punk...i like metal...wtf...i have listened to them since the age of 13 and i still listen to them...so fucking what if i like punk i get a label come on...and of course metal has its complexity...and of course it's so f**cking great...but punk should not be ignored...

And btw...heavy metal...spell it right next time...

I'm not saying to ignore punk....I just support Metal ...thats all!!!
And I see that You are a great punk fan...not a metal fan...because there is no point to argue with me in correcting spellings...it happens sometimes..This proves that you're a great punk fan..haha!!..got a good way to argue...Nice try punkmaster!!

HA HA HA ... you are a smart ass...
I am both a metal and punk fan...BOTH...and what's with the GREAT punk fan...why great ? how good do think you know me ?
AND how do you support metal btw ? Try not to be a wanna-be...
And about that spelling thing...it was a joke dude...you don't have to get all emotional...
26.12.2006 - 16:58
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
HAHA ....I wasn't taking it seriously...so u're a metal fan too?haha...great..I support metal because I like the lyrical theme ...just don't talk about only lyrical theme...everything is cool...But its of own choice..u know..
some like metal some like punk..thats ok...but you like both punk and metal...Great!!
keep it up!!
26.12.2006 - 17:13
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
No shit... I said how do you support metal !!! Not why ! and even so...only for the lyrics ?? You like metal because its cool ??
WHATEVER MAN...
27.12.2006 - 04:11
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Guest on 23.12.2006 at 09:13

Oh Really?....I Just happen to Know two bands that flush that comment down the toilet....Refused and Fugazi....Refused - "The Shape of Punk to Come" is the one of the most original albums i ever heard,and as For Fugazi they are Just original in general....and not to mention they can destroy any of your black or death metal bands when it comes to complexity

You seem to be a great punk fan...So you don't know too much about metal.And what were you saying?..oh yes..those punk bands can destroy any of Black/Death bands...hahaa..Good thought!!
Try to listen to DM and Bm..their riffs,their style...I'm not talking only about BM and Dm.try listening to Heavy Metals too...yeah,of course!..Heavy Metal!!

actually kiddo...i like both Metal and Punk,i am openminded and enjoy both genres unlike alot of people on here who only embrace one side and regard the opposite as shit..anyways those two bands i mention CAN destroy alot of DM and BM bands you see nowadays...on Originality alone....yeah alot of those death metal and black metal bands are technical....but who cares..... those bands are boring and the shit has already been done before (with the Exception of bands like Sunno))),Sigh,Leviathan and a few others) Fugazi and Refused However,are energetic and play a complex and original style of Punk that's never been heard before...

my point being...

i wanna hear something full of emotion and sincerity..not some boring cookiecutter black or death metal band...just because a band can pull a few At The Gates riffs out of their asses,dont make them good.
27.12.2006 - 09:44
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
About that Dm stuff...yeah...there are boring bands, there are stupid and unoriginal ones...but think for a fucking minute...there are also original bands...and i'm not talking about the new death metal bands or the melodic shit...i am talking about bands that started the whole god damn thing...I am talking about the fusion between death and thrash...original sounds...never heard before...not necesarily technical...but original...Terrorizer, Cannibal Corpse ( first albums ), Benediction, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, even Siege ( a strange combination between early death and thrash with early hardcore/punk influences ) and fucking more...To me those are original...of course others have copied them but the bands i mentioned still remain fucking original...I will repeat it and will do for the last time...not technicality makes them original...not all are technical...and for the sake of good music...do not put death metal and black metal in the same sentence...
27.12.2006 - 15:36
Sunioj
@Jesus Puncher,
I for one have only heard crappy underground punk bands just like I heard good ones, and technical ones. But the fact is I dont think most metalheads know enough about punk in general to make a mature opinion about it. I know you have a broad taste in metal and punk thats cool, but I wouldnt go as far to say all the metal these days are clones of each other, to a certain extent that true, but thats a matter of opinion and taste. Now as I mentioned above I cant make a consistent opinion on punk because I havent heard enough, but Im sure you would agree with me that punk also has the cons of EVERY musical genre: lack of creativity.
28.12.2006 - 11:47
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 27.12.2006 at 15:36

@Jesus Puncher,
I for one have only heard crappy underground punk bands just like I heard good ones, and technical ones. But the fact is I dont think most metalheads know enough about punk in general to make a mature opinion about it. I know you have a broad taste in metal and punk thats cool, but I wouldnt go as far to say all the metal these days are clones of each other, to a certain extent that true, but thats a matter of opinion and taste. Now as I mentioned above I cant make a consistent opinion on punk because I havent heard enough, but Im sure you would agree with me that punk also has the cons of EVERY musical genre: lack of creativity.

oh..So Now I understand What u mean about punk and your choice of death metal..
29.12.2006 - 00:29
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted

@Jesus Puncher,

i Do agree that all genres have lack of creativity.i also agree that not all of the dm and bm bands are clones...but alot are.However the newer ones that are original i am for the most part,already into like the bands i mentioned above and others....yeah there is alot of crap in the punk and hardcore underground..but once you find a few gems you're hooked...its a shame that more people on here arent into Punk...they need to get it through their' head that its not all mainstream Pop shit...

but yeah whatever i'll just let them keep saying all "Punk is nothing but twin Brothers "hot topic-ed out" playing generic Punk crap"....and i'll just say all Metal is "a bunch of guys decked out in dreadlocks and adidas clothes,screaming nursery rhymes and songs about being molested"

if you want some good Punk and Hardcore Bands...

Negative Approach
Ringworm
Cursed
Kill Your Idols
Fugazi
Refused
Blood For Blood
Sheer Terror
29.12.2006 - 13:54
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.12.2006 at 00:29

@Jesus Puncher,

i Do agree that all genres have lack of creativity.i also agree that not all of the dm and bm bands are clones...but alot are.However the newer ones that are original i am for the most part,already into like the bands i mentioned above and others....yeah there is alot of crap in the punk and hardcore underground..but once you find a few gems you're hooked...its a shame that more people on here arent into Punk...they need to get it through their' head that its not all mainstream Pop shit...

but yeah whatever i'll just let them keep saying all "Punk is nothing but twin Brothers "hot topic-ed out" playing generic Punk crap"....and i'll just say all Metal is "a bunch of guys decked out in dreadlocks and adidas clothes,screaming nursery rhymes and songs about being molested"

Negative Approach
Ringworm
Cursed
Kill Your Idols
Fugazi
Refused
Blood For Blood
Sheer Terror

Hey don't mind the others, fuck no...say whatever you wan't, some may realize...some may see the real thing... anyway about that lack of creativity, yeah, its in all styles and genres, not only metal or punk...
One more thing...never use stereotipes...it sucks...
31.12.2006 - 17:59
Pinkmaggot
Account deleted
I LOVE punk and I LOVE metal! If I feel like dancing around like a headless chicken and I'm ina great mood then I'll listen to punk. But if im in a depressed or angry mood I'll listen to metal. If it wasn't for punk I might still be listening to Westlife or worse
31.12.2006 - 20:51
Sunioj
Cool, thanks Jesus Puncher I will check em out.
01.01.2007 - 00:26
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.12.2006 at 13:54

Written by Guest on 29.12.2006 at 00:29

@Jesus Puncher,

Negative Approach
Ringworm
Cursed
Kill Your Idols
Fugazi
Refused
Blood For Blood
Sheer Terror

Hey don't mind the others, fuck no...say whatever you wan't, some may realize...some may see the real thing... anyway about that lack of creativity, yeah, its in all styles and genres, not only metal or punk...
One more thing...never use stereotipes...it sucks...

the stereotypes was sarcasm brotha,and i was pointing out the ridiculousness with alot of people on this site...there's sincerity and mediocrity in every form of music....and also with everything else in society...but we're beating a dead horse....lets just end this with...

Leviathan and At The Gates Rules and so does Black Flag and DRI
01.01.2007 - 05:58
Zombie, M.D.
I dig some punk, I listen to the Misfits, Antiseen, various GG Allin bands, Discharge, Minor Threat and Amebix alot. I especially like Amebix, just checked them out recently. The stuff I have heard is quite unique, it transcends genres, just calling it punk wouldnt do it justice.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
01.01.2007 - 17:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 01.01.2007 at 05:58

I dig some punk, I listen to the Misfits, Antiseen, various GG Allin bands, Discharge, Minor Threat and Amebix alot. I especially like Amebix, just checked them out recently. The stuff I have heard is quite unique, it transcends genres, just calling it punk wouldnt do it justice.

I hawnt hear Misfitrs how tahy sounds, I know there was Glan Danzig and alsdo metalllica done some cover somgs, where can I hear orginal Misfits ?

PS what Misfits means, I cant find it in dictionary

and one of gate 7 clubs call them selfs Misfits&Gate 7
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2007 - 18:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I like GG Allin.
----
01.01.2007 - 18:45
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Talking about genre transitions, just listen to Gogol Bordello... Some may consider it non-punk, others won't really like it...but the fact is that they are quite interesting...combining russian music, with all sorts of other influences...also serbian...and all made in new york...

Its a must hear band...
02.01.2007 - 01:11
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 01.01.2007 at 18:13

Haha, I like GG Allin.

Haha ever seen "Hated"?....its a documentary about GG Allin....that movie is fucking Nasty....it definately would be a hit with all the goregrind and death metal lovers here
02.01.2007 - 01:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 01:11

Haha, I like GG Allin.

Haha ever seen "Hated"?....its a documentary about GG Allin....that movie is fucking Nasty....it definately would be a hit with all the goregrind and death metal lovers here

He was insane, one of my best friends worship him and I'm gonna borrow one of his DVD's.
----
02.01.2007 - 01:18
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 02.01.2007 at 01:16

Haha, I like GG Allin.

He was insane, one of my best friends worship him and I'm gonna borrow one of his DVD's.

that works....invite the grandparents over and have a popcorn movie night
02.01.2007 - 01:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I'll remember that!
----
03.01.2007 - 00:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
when I was in HS, a couple of my friends were in a punk band that mocked him for not killing himself on stage like he said he would...

And k7, not sure where online to here the Misfits, but I would recommend picking up the self titled compilation album. It's a good enough mix of some of their more popular tracks.

a Misfit is someone who doesn't 'fit in' with society. The outcast.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2007 - 01:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
FOund this today...

FEAR on Saturday Night Live back Halloween of '81. Seems Belushi was a biiiig FEAR fan, had enough clout to get them on the show as the musical guest. Now that SNL was released on DVD, it's finally available again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNfo0PrtB9c&mode=related&search=

I don't think the producers were quite ready for either the band or the fans (supposedly imported from DC)...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2007 - 04:06
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2007 at 01:55

FOund this today...

FEAR on Saturday Night Live back Halloween of '81. Seems Belushi was a biiiig FEAR fan, had enough clout to get them on the show as the musical guest. Now that SNL was released on DVD, it's finally available again.

I don't think the producers were quite ready for either the band or the fans (supposedly imported from DC)...

Pretty good, If you're a fear fan, let's see if you know this bit of Trivia, Who was their origional Bass player?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.01.2007 - 09:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.01.2007 at 04:06

Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2007 at 01:55

FOund this today...

Pretty good, If you're a fear fan, let's see if you know this bit of Trivia, Who was their origional Bass player?

No, it's NOT Flea, he was the second bass player, the orignal one is Derf Scratch
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2007 - 12:24
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
I listen to a bit of punk. Two bands in particular: 'The Sex Pistols' and 'The Casualties'.
04.01.2007 - 13:35
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Well, i won't say anything against you but i might say both Sex Pistols and the Casualties suck...i mean...Sex Pistols i a crapy thing that is so called the father of punk...fuck that...take a load of Discharge or Dead Kennedys...
04.01.2007 - 19:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
touche', Marcel beat me to it.
----

05.01.2007 - 04:12
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2007 at 19:00

Yeah, I really thought it was Flea....oh well, I guess I was wrong.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.01.2007 - 10:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 05.01.2007 at 04:12

Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2007 at 19:00

Yeah, I really thought it was Flea....oh well, I guess I was wrong.

No problem I thought the exact same thing for a long time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.01.2007 - 17:46
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted

Haha, I like GG Allin.

Jesus Christ )) ...i saw it and its really fucking nuts...the whole shit... ) ...anyway, its a funny video. I was quite amaized at that guy...come on...he's a real fucking psycho...
As for the music...well...i can't say i am a fan...but liked quite a few...