04. Buried Alive
05. Natural Born Killer
06. So Far Away
07. God Hates Us
08. Victim
09. Tonight The World Dies
10. Fiction
11. Save Me

Frankly, this album sucks. It really does. I had never listened to A7X before and going in to the review I had hoped it would at least be decent.

It's not.

I could list everything that I thought was wrong with this album, but apparently it'd be too long for most of your ADD-addled brains to handle. So here's the short version.

I figured out about three minutes in it's basically the same blueprint as Metallica, only modernized. Radio-friendly rock music with enough of a metal edge to convince angsty teenagers it's "dangerous" or something.

The album has more ballads than a "Best of Aerosmith Since '88" box set and even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out. The closest thing this album has to an start-to-finish aggressive song is "God Hate's Us" ? outside of a useless breakdown in the middle... but even four minutes of distortion is too edgy for the accountants, so this otherwise pretty decent song has to close with a clean outro.

Hetfield-esq barking for verses, with an annoying almost nasal second vocal style used all too frequently, with catchy choruses. The dude at least has a decent voice when he doesn't switch to the annoying tone. The guitarist has some chops.

But ultimately the entire album feels more like a creation of what a Record Exec's idea of a (highly profitable) metal album should sound like, rather than what a metal enthusiast is likely to think a metal album should be. I guess the suits knew what they were doing, as apparently this was the top "purchased" album on iTunes last week.

But I imagine their target audience is certainly not the MetalStorm audience. I don't like it. And I imagine the vast majority of you won't either.

Avoid like the plague.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 9

Written on 31.07.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 172   Visited by: 870 users
31.07.2010 - 05:30
Dani5050
Thanks, I will avoid it.
31.07.2010 - 05:33
skrätte
I Hate You
The only thing good about this album is this review.
----
31.07.2010 - 05:35
Got Mayhem?
In all seriousness, I'm half-way expecting you to be blasted by at least one person for not being 'respectful' towards the band because they recently lost their drummer.

Quote:
But ultimately the entire album feels more like a creation of what a Record Exec's idea of a (highly profitable) metal album should sound like, rather than what a metal enthusiast is likely to think a metal album should be.

And therein lies the mantra of mainstream music. I give this review a thumbs up. If we could give reviews a thumbs up that is. (Has this idea ever been thrown around?)
----
31.07.2010 - 05:40
marzepka87
"Radio-friendly rock music with enough of a metal edge to convince angsty teenagers it's "dangerous" or something." - this line right there sums up the whole album, you dd not have to write the rest, the review of the album would have been perfect with that line alone, and thank you for a good laugh
31.07.2010 - 05:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
A 4.1? How generous.

I'd give this a flat-out 2/10. As marze pointed out, that one line would have been enough of a review. Too many of the kids I avoided back in high school worshiped this band.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2010 - 06:35
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
You know, the review and your opinions mean fuck-all.

Believe it or not, the album got rave reviews from multiple sources.
Kerrang!, Metal Hammer, Metacritic, Rolling Stone, you name it.

The reason I believe it got reviewed so bad by Gene Shalit up there is because he's a closet fanatic, but doesn't want anyone to know.

I loved it, and I don't even like Metalcore.

You people need to grow up, get off your high horses, clean your shorts, ect., ect. This review is bullshit.
31.07.2010 - 06:47
Got Mayhem?
Written by Guest on 31.07.2010 at 06:35

The reason I believe it got reviewed so bad by Gene Shalit up there is because he's a closet fanatic, but doesn't want anyone to know.

You people need to grow up, get off your high horses, clean your shorts, ect., ect.

Ok man, if we all went by Kerrang and Rolling Stones reviews here then we'd be seeing Billboard Top 40 hits in the Top 100 Albums section and bands like Summoning would be lucky to get an honorable mention. Of course I believe that the big industry names gave this album high scores. It's their job to do that. Big band, Big label, Big sales. It's a cash machine of an industry and they all know it.

Now believe it or not it is actually very possible to dislike a band for no other reason other than that their music gives you a brain aneurysm every time they come on the radio. Sometimes a band is "cool to hate" because there is actually a lot to hate about them.

Now, my high horse and I have some Blind Guardian to listen to so we'll be riding off now thank you very much.
----
31.07.2010 - 06:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
How can A7X release a new album? I thought Lou Perlman was in prison...

Either way, no surprises here. The review is more entertaining than the album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.07.2010 - 07:06
Got Mayhem?
Written by Doc G. on 31.07.2010 at 06:54

How can A7X release a new album? I thought Lou Perlman was in prison...

----
31.07.2010 - 07:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Wow, way to list credible metal sources. Rolling Stone rarely have any features on metal, because they know dick all about it. Kerrang and Metal Hammer both praise anything that can bring in cash. I'm not familiar with Metacritic.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.07.2010 - 07:13
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 31.07.2010 at 06:47

Now, my high horse and I have some Blind Guardian to listen to so we'll be riding off now thank you very much.

Ride on, Clint Eastwood.
31.07.2010 - 07:28
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

You people need to grow up, get off your high horses, clean your shorts, ect., ect. This review is bullshit.

i'm sorry your experience in listening to this album was different than mine and you cannot accept the fact that i might have actually disliked the album thoroughly based upon it's own merits. (or rather lack thereof)

as for whether or not i am a closet fanatic, and "don't want anyone to know", i can assure you i am not. i'd never listened to them before and have actually been yelled at by other users for deleting their votes when they hit this band with straight 1's (although their votes make more sense now...) as being a fanboi.

i don't hide my musical preferences. i have no need to. a glance at my "collection" is testimony to that.

i don't ride a high horse. i merely call albums as i see them.

i WANTED to like this, knowing how much it would piss off the anti-a7x crowd to say nice things about them ... but i couldn't. the album was terrible. i don't ever want to listen to it again. the review is not bullshit. it's my HONEST opinion on the music.

but nice detective work, you have unmasked me as Gene Shalit.

have a nice evening.

p.s. - thanks for the riotous laughs in citing Rolling Fucking Stone as validation of this album. i think that proves my point...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2010 - 07:50
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by BitterCOld on 31.07.2010 at 07:28

Well, to be honest, I lied about the Stones review. Never found one. Just put it in there assuming that a big name giving it a good review would cause people to reconsider their opinion, which, apparently, I was dead wrong about. Dammit.

Riddle me this, though: If you've never listened ot them before, then why listen to this one? I can understand that you have to listen to albums, being an admin and all, but wouldn't it make more sense to review albums of bands you like?

Still, I admire your honesty...

but nice detective work, you have unmasked me as Gene Shalit.

...And your humor.
31.07.2010 - 08:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 31.07.2010 at 07:50

...And your humor.

in the parlance of our times, l2quote, dude.

why did i get it?

simple. staff has made a decision to spend more time on reviewing bigger releases than having us spending the bulk of our (volunteer) time on unknown unsigned artists which most folks don't even bother to read.

this was one of the larger bands on the list.

i'd never listened to them before and don't really give a flying fuck at a rolling donut as to whether or not it's cool to like or dislike a band. i'm going to say what i feel regardless as to whether or not the majority will agree or disagree with me.

seems that's a pretty good starting point for a review...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2010 - 08:04
JCJen7
Personally, I loved this album. I thought it had a good amount of aggression, and technicality in it. The guitars were crisp, the drums pounding, and the vocals were diversified and soaringly harsh. Songs like Nightmare and Welcome to the Family seem to be modernized Metallica throwbacks, while Buried Alive is a vocal masterpiece. So Far Away is a heart-wrenching ballad of their lost drummer, and God Hates Us is a punch in the face, and brings memories of early Avenged Sevenfold. Of course though, you are too proud to like a "teenage band" such as Avenged Sevenfold. Sure, nothing incredibly groundbreaking here, but a good collection of diverse, kickass songs.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
31.07.2010 - 09:59
cam
Difference of opinion! Alert the internet police!

Is it really so amazing to people that others don't like exactly what they like? If you require that everyone agrees with you all the time, join a commune.

I have listened to the songs off of this album on Avenged Sevenfold's Myspace through at least a couple of times each now and I don't like it. It's not because I'm worried that I'll be kicked out of the Steeds-of-Iron-and-Leather Club or because "I'm too proud." It's because I don't like it, end of story.

If reading about something you like getting shit-canned on the internet upsets you so much, maybe you should sell your computer and take up flower arranging.

Now, it's time to pack my crap and head to Knebworth so I can get prime position for Anthrax!
31.07.2010 - 10:33
Rating: 2
silenius
Why does everyone who dont like a negative review use the frase''if you dont like it, dont review it´´, a review is another persons view of a certain album to get some insight in the album, therefore, if you dont like the review, DONT READ IT and complain afterwards
31.07.2010 - 12:03
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Why can't BitterCold simply not like a band cuz he don't like em?

If you don't like A7x it's not necessarily because it's a cool thing to do or because you're a closet fanatic or can't like teenage bands. Maybe some people think A7x is bad simply because they're cringe inducing.

Next let's all throw a shitstorm at Marcel the next time he positively reviews a doom band no one's heard of just because he wants to be edgy and different, and not cuz he actually likes it.

Jesus, people like different music. Grow up.
31.07.2010 - 12:08
R.I.Pdeadlegends
Account deleted
I like the album cover
31.07.2010 - 13:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Totally agree with the review.
BTW, The Rev never was a great drummer, just because he's dead doesn't mean we should suddenly pretend he was a legend.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.07.2010 - 14:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by cam on 31.07.2010 at 09:59

Difference of opinion! Alert the internet police!

Is it really so amazing to people that others don't like exactly what they like? If you require that everyone agrees with you all the time, join a commune.

Exactly. Its always amazed me how many people get up in arms just because someone disagrees with their opinion on music.

Ive not heard the album, nor do I have any particular desire to... But I see A7X are still using their Derek The Skull ripoff as their logo?
31.07.2010 - 16:41
Rating: 5
Derwood
Written by BitterCOld on 31.07.2010 at 08:02

simple. staff has made a decision to spend more time on reviewing bigger releases than having us spending the bulk of our (volunteer) time on unknown unsigned artists which most folks don't even bother to read.

Bloody hell, I certainly hope that's not true. I've discovered a lot of bands thanks to the reviews on this site. It's the biggest reason I check in here daily, hoping to find another undiscovered band that I'll come to love. I would likely have never found Process of Guilt, Obscura, Oranssi Pazuzu, most recently Neuromist or a host of other bands had it not been for the reviews posted here.

I can find reviews of albums from the bigger name acts anywhere, including snooze fests like Nightmare. I come to MS for informed reviews of albums from bands I'm not familiar with.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
31.07.2010 - 16:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Derwood on 31.07.2010 at 16:41

Bloody hell, I certainly hope that's not true. I've discovered a lot of bands thanks to the reviews on this site. It's the biggest reason I check in here daily, hoping to find another undiscovered band that I'll come to love. I would likely have never found Process of Guilt, Obscura, Oranssi Pazuzu, most recently Neuromist or a host of other bands had it not been for the reviews posted here.

I can find reviews of albums from the bigger name acts anywhere, including snooze fests like Nightmare. I come to MS for informed reviews of albums from bands I'm not familiar with.

That's the spirit. I wholeheartedly agree with you.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 17:18
Deadsoulman
Elite

That doesn't mean the flow of underground reviews will decrease. Underground releases are sent out to the reviewers by the labels, so the reviewers commit to reviewing them, while the more "mainstream" albums are just out there, up for grabs so to speak.
31.07.2010 - 20:24
Thanntos
If you think to write a review about an album, you have to like the band...thats pure BS. Its the job of a reviewer to cover a wide variety of genres and styles to either widen their range or open the mind more. However doing this does not automatically mean youre going to like it. Bittercold gace a very generous rating although some parts of the review were little harsh.

Quote:
and I think they should be put up there with Killswitch Engage, All That Remains and As I Lay Dying.

Just no. You will never hear any of these bands on the radio like you do A7X, save a couple KSE balls like Arms of Sorrow (good song...) All play completely different styles and are not 'watered down' for the sake of 13 y/o kids like A7X.

BTW, these song titles are probably the worst I have seen on ANY album in a LONG time. Terrible.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
31.07.2010 - 21:31
RavenKing

It's not the first time I see you defending shitty stuff. You need to grow up and learn that some people have tastes and standards, so unlike you they won't praise any crap.

And official reviews mean nothing. The reviewers are corrupted by the capitalist industry. They sold out their integrity long ago.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.07.2010 - 21:49
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 16:46

That's the spirit. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I totally agree with you and Derwood. We don't need reviews about mainstream metal albums. We can find this everywhere on the net if we want. Add to this that I hate mainstream metal in general.
What is interesting is to find new stuff that is pretty much unknown, and many times this stuff is much more interesting than mainstream metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.07.2010 - 21:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I dont want to download the album to listen to the full thing. But I decided to check out the title track which is on youtube.

I had heard one A7X song years ago, and thought it was okay, and I dont let anyone else's opinions positive or negative to affect what I think. So I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go. lol The intro of the song was actually good, with a decent atmosphere, and good melodic guitars. But as soon as the singer screamed "Niiightmaare!" and the song proper started, it was like a different band had started playing, and it was downhill from there. It just sounded very artificial, and weak. Mike Portnoy is meant to be on drums, but I could never have guessed just by listening to this song. Where was the imaginative fills and drumming flair? Its like he just phoned in the performance. I dunno what the rest of the album is like, but if the title track is a good indicator of what it's like, I think I'll give it a miss. :\
01.08.2010 - 00:39
Reizenstein
It's always amusing to read the comments and see people who react like their mother is being donkeypunched every time someone dislikes an album they like.
----
Growl
01.08.2010 - 03:50
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
A 4.1 is an epic win for Avenged Sevenfold on this site.

Hits total: 21505 | This month: 45