03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

'Sounds like shit' - this was my first thought when I heard the longish introduction to the album. "Satellite 15..." is so unlike anything that Iron Maiden have ever recorded. A crude, repeating drum pattern, distorted, spacy sounds, drunken guitars that go nowhere. Even the vocals, when they enter, sound strange. Not only does that intro suck, but it also sounds really weird. Fortunately, the song changes radically after 4 minutes into a remote semblance of a good song.

'What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?' - that was my second thought. The opening tracks are decent enough for thousands of obscure bands who would be proud to have recorded them, but for Iron Maiden standards, they are sodding poor, and I mean really poor. "The Apparition" poor. "The Final Frontier" isn't utterly abysmal - resurrecting the spirit of the 70's metal, with a catchy chorus, it is remotely palatable. But to balance it, "Coming Home" is an Iron Maiden fan nightmare, sounding like it was recorded during the Fear of the Dark session, which, in my opinion, is the worst Iron Maiden album, with only 2 good songs.

The next six tracks brought back some of my faith in Iron Maiden. Long songs, catchy choruses, melodic solos, everything is seemingly in place. Seemingly - Maiden fans can at last feel at home, and utter a sigh of relief, because there will be no more experiments until the end of the album, at least not as blatantly obvious ones as the intro. But what follows isn't top-notch Maiden, it's mid-range most of the time. Solos aren't too memorable, vocal lines aren't too melodic, riffs don't stick in my head.

Only the last song, "When the Wild Wind Blows," can be honestly called excellent. The riffs supported by simple, but powerful drumming somewhere in the 7th minute of the song - in that solitary moment Maiden sounds really classy. The song isn't quite as good as Maiden's best classic tracks, but it's on a par with the good songs from the later period. Maybe the leading vocal theme sounds too joyful and optimistic, in spite of telling a grim tale, but the song is deliciously complex and rich, a real treat to end this album.

Having died during the first 4 abysmal songs, I was partially resurrected by some good ones that followed, of which, sadly, only one is brilliant. The Final Frontier clocks in at over 76 minutes, and most of these minutes are well spent, assuming you have a pair of paddles handy to shock you back to life after the cardiac arrest that you will undergo at the onset of this album. Better yet, start listening from "The Alchemist." You should be at least partially satisfied.
How do I rank this? I could try to turn a blind eye on the beginning of The Final Frontier. But 4 terrible songs out of 10 is quite a lot. Sorry guys, not this time around. I can't ignore 40% of the album. 1 point up for the last track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 16.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments page 2 / 9

Comments: 253   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1045 users
17.08.2010 - 17:18
oroboros
I m speechless..its jus so many words.
17.08.2010 - 17:20
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Hahaha......wow....i hope this isnt maidens last record hahahah
17.08.2010 - 17:22
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Reading that post was almost as mind-numbing as listening to this album!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.08.2010 - 17:32
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking
Seriously, I think that post lasted longer then the actual album it was written about haha
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.08.2010 - 17:40
Rating: 3
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Wow... that is an encyclopedia of insults right there.
17.08.2010 - 17:47
Rating: 10
LordMaiden
Holy shit.
17.08.2010 - 17:55
LordMaiden
I'm like, bookmarking this page for that post alone. I've never seen anything like it. It is poetic. It is a masterpiece.
17.08.2010 - 18:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Mount Everest of insults aside, this is extremely well written
17.08.2010 - 18:57
Rating: 7
Jiri
Jesus Khrist.
17.08.2010 - 19:05
Rating: 4
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Please, do not delete the comments
17.08.2010 - 19:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Valentin B on 17.08.2010 at 19:05

Please, do not delete the comments

I don't think anyone was intending to.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.08.2010 - 19:09
Rating: 4
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm listening right now to the album, and i respect them for trying new stuff, but FFS that intro is annoying. imo a simple drum intro of 10-20 seconds or whatever would have sufficed.
17.08.2010 - 19:16
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LordMaiden on 17.08.2010 at 16:12

Written by Daniell on 17.08.2010 at 15:23

Sure, but move on to something good, don't wade in mediocrity.

I think what's happening is most people who don't like it are simply becoming impatient with the intros. I understand that - but the intros, IMO, lead into spectacular songs. I don't mind if the meat has layers of plastic wrap around it, as long as the meat itself is of high quality. There are so many good things about the album, but it requires patience to appreciate it. The only major problem I have though, is the intro to The Talisman. It is a little too long.

Actually the intros are mostly OK, apart from the opener. However, they've seemed to throw a lot of their trademark stuff into the garbage bin elsewhere in the songs, and that's what kills it. At times the instrumentations cause the songs sound like The X Factor with Bruce on vocals. The change is not organic, they leaped instead of stepping which was a mistake IMO.
17.08.2010 - 19:36
Storchillarn
A Matter of Life & Death was good. The Final Frontier not so much. I don't really like any of the tracks, although Coming Home and The Talisman are quite cool, at least bits and pieces.
17.08.2010 - 19:38
Rating: 9
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Haha never read anything like that!! masterpiece
17.08.2010 - 19:42
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I love that you registered yesterday, just to post that comment The first guy doesn't seem to active either - been a member since May but only rated one album (this one)...

A reflection:
The most popular modern metal bands (not counting AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin e.tc.) considering fanbase and sales (as far as i know) would probably be Metallica and Maiden.
Yes - Iron Maiden has released many fillers, or tracks that are weaker than your/most people's favourites. But atleast they have spread them out (more or less) over 15 albums. Me, and probably no fan of Iron Maiden talk about any album as pure bullshit - atleast not more than two out of 15...

I can't believe how a band like Metallica can be considered even near as good/big/popular as Maiden, just thinking about how few albums they have released - and how few good ones. Even the most hardcore Metallica fans I've talked to agree that they stopped being good just before or after The Black Album.

And to people that prefered the old Maiden albums - even if you don't really like the newer Maiden material - try to compare your favourite songs from the 2000's with the worst on the 80's albums - which ones are better? Still the old ones? Comparing the best songs from Metallicas four latest albums with the worst from their first four/five would probably not change anyones opinion that everything Metallica wrote in the 80's is far superior.

Very off-topic, I know, but I can't stop thinking of this when I see people complaining about Maiden, or about that they newer albums isn't that good. Try to be happy that they released more than four albums the last 20 years instead, and listen to your favourites (there must be some for every fan) on thoose albums instead
17.08.2010 - 20:11
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
One of the most epic replys evahh. From an account built specially for this purpose.

Oh yeah.. and I don't care about Maiden. XD
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.08.2010 - 20:11
LordMaiden
Written by Risto on 17.08.2010 at 19:16

Written by LordMaiden on 17.08.2010 at 16:12

Written by Daniell on 17.08.2010 at 15:23

Sure, but move on to something good, don't wade in mediocrity.

I think what's happening is most people who don't like it are simply becoming impatient with the intros. I understand that - but the intros, IMO, lead into spectacular songs. I don't mind if the meat has layers of plastic wrap around it, as long as the meat itself is of high quality. There are so many good things about the album, but it requires patience to appreciate it. The only major problem I have though, is the intro to The Talisman. It is a little too long.

Actually the intros are mostly OK, apart from the opener. However, they've seemed to throw a lot of their trademark stuff into the garbage bin elsewhere in the songs, and that's what kills it. At times the instrumentations cause the songs sound like The X Factor with Bruce on vocals. The change is not organic, they leaped instead of stepping which was a mistake IMO.

I don't get what you are saying. What kind of organic change do you mean, the change in the songs or between albums? If you mean the album isn't organic, I would have to disagree.
17.08.2010 - 20:27
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LordMaiden on 17.08.2010 at 20:11
What kind of organic change do you mean, the change in the songs or between albums? If you mean the album isn't organic, I would have to disagree.

Between albums. On Brave New World and AMOLAD they succeeded with developing their sound to a more progressive direction with songs like Ghost of the Navigator and Brighter than a Thousand Suns, but here they just lost the plot by leaning too much on Bruce.
17.08.2010 - 21:22
Xtopher
Dont you feel exactly like you felt when u first listened to Metallica's St.Anger?
----
17.08.2010 - 21:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Xtopher on 17.08.2010 at 21:22

Dont you feel exactly like you felt when u first listened to Metallica's St.Anger?

No, let's not exaggerate. TFF is not St Anger bad, I mean I wouldn't call it bad at all. Surely i wouldn't call it great either, it's decent, it's pretty good.

If you felt the same as when you listened to St Anger, you must think maiden's last album is really bad.
17.08.2010 - 21:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Irritable Ted on 17.08.2010 at 21:18

All of those insults and he didn't say Nazi once. Now that has to be a record for online rants.

He must be aware of Godwin's law.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.08.2010 - 21:45
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I like this album, but still Number Of The Beast is their best and will remain their best. imho btw.
17.08.2010 - 22:18
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=294342

for those who think the MS review of TFF is negative, take a look at this review. Don't get offended though, take it as a joke. A really bad one. - don't take it seriously, i mean.
17.08.2010 - 22:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah, AMOLAD really turned me off Iron Maiden pretty harshly, I was so unbelievably bored by that album. Then they released the first two songs off this album as a preview and they sounded just as boring...Perhaps I should take this review into consideration and give Maiden another chance...starting at track 4.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.08.2010 - 22:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 17.08.2010 at 22:20

Yeah, AMOLAD really turned me off Iron Maiden pretty harshly, I was so unbelievably bored by that album. Then they released the first two songs off this album as a preview and they sounded just as boring...Perhaps I should take this review into consideration and give Maiden another chance...starting at track 4.

start at track 3
17.08.2010 - 22:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
He'll be just as bored by TFF as AMOLAD I am sure of that. No matter where he starts. The second half here is better then the first half but is going nowhere either.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2010 - 22:44
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I didn't include this in my review (due to its length), only the 6 for production hints at it - this album sounds like it was fucking played through a pane of glass 5 inches thick. Everything is muffled, and the guitars are almost non-existent.
17.08.2010 - 22:49
Ivor
Staff
@wvClifton: Next time you post this kind of stuff, at least give credit to the/a source. Sorry to undermine credibility but one of the sources. Fun to read, though.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
17.08.2010 - 22:54
Rating: 3
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Aww... I thought we were in the presence of genius.

Hits total: 47816 | This month: 67