Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Dima, 04.08.2014 - 05:07
Written by Mattybu on 03.08.2014 at 19:00

So far GoW3 is on par with the second for me, if not better. I really love it when game makers don't mess around with the things that make a game good in the first place, and there isn't much drastic change from GoW-GoW3. And the third is basically just the best graphics, best combat, an epic story on par with the others, and some of the most unreal boss fights I have ever experienced.

Ye as most successful trilogies go they didn't really mess with the formula. The second one was just the most memorable for me. The pacing was just perfect.
21.10.2017 - 00:43
IronAngel
I guess it's somewhat atypical, yeah. The FPS aspect is pretty mediocre though, and the superpowers aren't all that fun.

I haven't played them yet, but maybe Dead Space? Deus Ex: Human Revolution, though not as action-oriented. Dishonored felt potentially quite similar too, although of course less gun-toting. Only I made the mistake of playing it stealthy instead of having fun with the powers. I dunno, it's not my genre of game to begin with (I also was not too impressed with Half-Life 1 or 2), I only seem to really get into FPS when it's stealthy, tactical or RPG (i.e. Deus Ex, Thief, bit of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., New Vegas, SS2) so maybe I'm not judging fairly.

I still have to try F.E.A.R. and Metro. I have both on Steam for some reason, must have been a bundle.
21.10.2017 - 21:30
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by IronAngel on 21.10.2017 at 00:43

I guess it's somewhat atypical, yeah. The FPS aspect is pretty mediocre though, and the superpowers aren't all that fun.

I haven't played them yet, but maybe Dead Space? Deus Ex: Human Revolution, though not as action-oriented. Dishonored felt potentially quite similar too, although of course less gun-toting. Only I made the mistake of playing it stealthy instead of having fun with the powers. I dunno, it's not my genre of game to begin with (I also was not too impressed with Half-Life 1 or 2), I only seem to really get into FPS when it's stealthy, tactical or RPG (i.e. Deus Ex, Thief, bit of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., New Vegas, SS2) so maybe I'm not judging fairly.

I still have to try F.E.A.R. and Metro. I have both on Steam for some reason, must have been a bundle.

The F.E.A.R games are fairly mediocre in my opinion, but I enjoyed them somewhat. Both Metro games are absolutely phenomenal in my opinion (particularly when you play on harder difficulties). The storytelling is, in my opinion, superb, and the general mechanics of the game are so perfectly implemented. The gun selection is a bit limited, but for a ~10 hour game it's not too bad, and the modification system is pretty cool. I would definitely recommend playing the redux versions on the "survival" game-type (instead of "spartan", which is more guns-blazing action oriented).

I'm almost always more interested in a game if there's an RPG element like in the STALKER games. I honestly never got too into Thief, though maybe I should revisit that and see if my opinion has changed. I've also never played Dishonored so might consider buying that if it goes on sale on steam.
22.10.2017 - 02:04
VIG
Esoteric Zachism
Written by Alex F on 21.10.2017 at 21:30

I'm almost always more interested in a game if there's an RPG element like in the STALKER games.

Have you seen Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979), or read Roadside Picnic?
31.10.2017 - 02:01
BitterCOld
Gringo
So continuing my old game splurge, got FF7 for PS4 ... thank fuck for the 3x speed mode, so the horrible post-Midgar 30 minute sequence was trimmed to like 10. still some annoyances and bugs.

Aslo got Fallout, Fallout2 and Fallout: New Vegas for the lappy.

These and the MSAs hould keep my occupied for a while.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
22.11.2017 - 18:11
VIG
Esoteric Zachism
Alright everyone, let's all share our #7FaveGames

Here's mine:

Castlevania SOTN
FF7
Resident Evil 2
Shenmue
Persona 4
Super Mario 64
Silent Hill 2
22.11.2017 - 20:03
IronAngel
Hrgh, mine are always changing depending on what I'm playing at the moment and how that reflects on past experiences. Also, games I would like to replay or recommend today vs games that influenced me a lot for a long time in the past vs games that exhibit some genius design even if they may be outdated now. Anyhow, for some kind of a mix of all three with an eye on genre diversity, maybe:

Morrowind - my great PC love ever since release.
Deus Ex - it just works all-round.
Crusader Kings II - started PC gaming with AoE, this is the strategy game I'd now pick over others.
Silent Hill 2 - proof that video games, horror of all genres, can be art-
FFIX - my first RPG.
Thief 1/2 - perfect map design and uncompromising execution of concept.
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - could choose a number of story-heavy RPGs here, but I want to promote this. I just recently replayed it and was blown away by how good the writing is. It's on par with Planescape: Torment, only the gameplay is actually good and you get to make choices. (Serious contenders include New Vegas, VtM Bloodlines and KOTOR, at least.)

I'm not so exicted about "all-time fave games" though, to be honest. I find it very hard to judge games as a whole nowadays, I usually look for something specific in game. I am very interested in games that have a concept and do it right, all else be damned. Thief is a great example, but so are Portal, This War of Mine, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dark Souls, M&B: Warband etc. I am getting increasingly tired of jack-of-all-trades games, while they are getting increasingly popular.
25.11.2017 - 18:03
Metren
The What The?
Written by VIG on 22.11.2017 at 18:11

Alright everyone, let's all share our #7FaveGames

1) The Witcher 3. Like MrBtongue said, CD Projekt did so many things so right with Wild Hunt that it is borderline unrealistic that such a game even exists. Expansive scope, memorable characters, awesome quests, a deep and emotionally involving story, great design and an amazing soundtrack. Probably the greatest game ever made.

2) Baldur's Gate 2. Basically the W3 of the 2d era. Not a game so much as a life replacement service.

3) Final Fantasy VII. I loved IV and VI, but VII was the biggest leap in storytelling, design, and atmosphere in the series. The plot was more about mystery and less about just saving the world. When Kefka blew up the continents in VI, it was pretty bad, but when Nibelheim in VII was still there and made me wonder whether Cloud's story was BS, it was much more interesting than just shit blowing up. VII took traditional story elements of the previous games and turned them on their head. Also, VII had villains like Shin-Ra and the Turks that blew shit up and blamed it on the heroes. Now THAT is evil. I could talk for days or weeks about everything VII did right, about how amazing the locations were, how awesome the soundtrack was etc.

4) TES: Skyrim. Crafting your own adventure and being almost completely free to do whatever is what makes Skyrim one of my all-time favorites. While it doesn't have the depth or scope of TW3, it does have more replay value for me. I can just load a random save at any time and get right back into that amazing world, feeling like I never left at all.

5) Warcraft III: Reign Of Chaos. Played this one a long time ago, but the story was epic, the gameplay addicting and the music awesome. My favorite RTS.

6) Dragon Age: Origins. IMO, the last 10/10 truly amazing Bioware game. It's a sign of great storytelling and characterization when the most memorable moments and the moments I most looked forward to were not clearing dungeons or completing story quests, but simply talking to my companions in the camp by the fire.

7) Can't decide between Mass Effect 1 and Ocarina Of Time. If OoT didn't have that nightmare of a water temple, I'd go with Zelda in this case, but...
----
Dreadrealm's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/ (200 Free Downloads Every Month is Bandcamp's limit)
26.11.2017 - 00:10
Karlabos
Weirdo of MS
7 fav games? probably a lot of old JRPG...
If I had to say right now, in no particular order:

*) Final Fantasy V: Although not necessarily very plot-based and a bit poor character-wise, it had one of the best gameplay for its era plus it was really challenging (i.e: for a player who didn't know what were the best jobs and kept farming until he got X-magic and X-fight like every lets player seems to do)
So it comes as my favorite FF, even better than the glorious subsequent FFVI, which although had the best OST of all, didn't quite match the previous in gameplay or difficulty. I got my nick from this game :p

*) Breath Of Fire 3: Don't know what makes this that much above. I think it's a combination of plot and gameplay. The skill learning system with enemies and masters plus the dragon assembling routines make the gameplay great, but the plot has also that inherent character development, like when you are with Rei and Teepo the game is goofy and heartwarming, while with the rest of the party it gets serious and with less character interaction. It's like it was all done on purpose in order for you to actually miss the old times and look forward for meeting with Teepo and Rei again

*) Wild Arms (the first, original and not the remake): How come some of the best songs ever written are only about forty seconds long? Oh well... Aside from gameplay this game had a lot of secrets and hard fights which made it fun. Plus it has that thing in Wild Arms wjhere the villains are present all the time and aren't like that last boss which you only, know the name of and fight with once in the entire plot (lame enemy kind)
When you actually see the villains appearing, being mentioned and even better: interacting with each other regularly it just adds so much more to the anticipation in fighting them

*) Crash team Racing: This. Is. The. Best. Racing. Game. Ever. I hate racing games because they are often all the same with different graphics, but at first sight you can see this has different build-up because it has all that box system where you earn items which can either buff you or fuck your opponents up (like in Mario Kart) and at first glance it would seem like a game centered on itemspamming which is already better than regular racing. But the better thing is: There's an even better gimmick: the slide turbo. It's a relatively complex turbo system which can give advantage only for the high-skilled player. And it is something you can only get better and better but never perfect, it really enhances the competition there. And even better than all: The tracks have inherent weird shortcuts which will give you advantage and also require some training in order to take them, but also the tracks themselves were poorly designed so that people also come up with even weirder made-up shortcuts, exploiting glitchs, requiring absurdely hard skills, etc. Adding everything up there's no way you can ever master the art of this game, it'1s a constant work in progress and I love that.

*) osu!: I used to play this game a lot (even almost got tendinitis on my left hand) and it simply has something on its simple gameplay which makes it addicting. I'm not very fond of guitar hero stuff but when I saw videos on it and knew it could get insanely hard with tracks requiring borderline inhuman skills I had to give it a try. I never got that good on it but I got somewhat better. I even invested on some hardware specific for playing osu! Nowadays I don't play it anymore. But every time I see a fb post or something on it I miss playing it...

*) Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale: You play as an item shop owner (an RPG item shop that is) and have to hire actual adventures to slay monsters and get you items for free to seel on your shop (well not for free since you are hiring them) it's a good mix of a JRPG style dungeon crawling and market simulator. Plus that cheesy cute humor. There's something so adorable about it that makes it all more worthwhile playing

*) Valkyrie Sky: This was the only MMORPG which had danmaku/platform shooting as a fighting style. You would travel on the map for your dungeon and once in you would enter this platform shooting area where the enemies came from above and you had to kill them, also you had to dodge their bullets and all. But above all it had the RPG level system (your shots wouldn't do jackshit on higher level enemies for instance, you had to upgrade your character and all)
And that combo makes this simply the best MMORPG I ever played. Too bad it's not available anymore for some reason. In fact I used to be so addicted I realized I was going bad on university because of it back then, then I had to take a time out... I stayed about three months away from it, only to read online that the game was about to go shut because of some business related stuff with the owner idk... I joined the game once again when it was on its last days and found some of my old online friends mourning its death... that was the last time I ever played it.
Now I see myself watching some videos but realizing I will never be able to play it again...
----

30.11.2017 - 20:29
IronAngel
Hookay... I've played a few hours of Tomb Raider (2013) now, and it's... terrible. It is so restless, environments lacking clarity and interesting design, garbage QTEs with very little other gameplay, absolutely nothing in common with the series. Let's not even get into the awful storytelling that happens through piles of logs, video tape recordings, confusing cutscenes and soliloquies. I knew it was a re-imagination but I thought it would actually have some of the old feel and modernized solutions for loosely the same things (like platforming/climbing, or hubs with puzzles). The things we get instead (collectibles, modern combat, upgrades and survival elements) are realized poorly even for mainstream standards, they're basically just cosmetic gestures. It's a cookie-cutter AAA title that could literally be any other AAA game if you took away the name.
04.12.2017 - 00:29
VIG
Esoteric Zachism
I got a PS1 today, and I was hoping someone could help me with this:

I have the RCA cable for it, and I want to play the playstation on my Chromebook (which is similar to a laptop, but all you can do on it is go on the internet). Is there a way I can get the RCA into the chromebook through some adapter to either HDMI or usb? and would it work?