Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
02.09.2011 - 02:37
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.
02.09.2011 - 02:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I couldn't give a flying crap about lyrics. Bands can sing about raping children (Nicole 12 anyone?) or eating cookies and ice cream for all I care, it makes no difference to me.
02.09.2011 - 02:48
JD
Account deleted
I always hated the satanic shit and I still do, but I usually don't read\give a shit about the lyrics, so it's not a problem for me.

My vote goes to "I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics".
02.09.2011 - 02:57
I personally don't like or agree with it, but I can deal with borderline. Childish shit like Aeon or Deicide are absolutely stupid.
02.09.2011 - 03:00
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by MesiasDesmorphus on 02.09.2011 at 02:57

I personally don't like or agree with it, but I can deal with borderline. Childish shit like Aeon or Deicide are absolutely stupid.

But Behemoth and Morbid Angel are in your favorite bands....I'm lost here, I think they're very satanic. Do you consider them borderline?
02.09.2011 - 03:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Music matters more than ideology for the most part. besides, in most metal (at least what I listen to) it's not like you can understand the vocalist anyways... if i stopped watching/listening to anything that had a viewpoint different than my own, there wouldn't be terribly much left to enjoy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.09.2011 - 03:48
Ragana
Rawrcat
I'm "liking" the previous post.

I don't listen to it because I'm "a fan of Satan" (*chuckles*) or because I don't read lyrics (though mostly I really don't) or like them (because they're so damn evil). honestly, I don't care.
02.09.2011 - 03:52
Lit.
Account deleted
The stay I start giving a crap about lyrical opinions is the day I stop listening to music.
02.09.2011 - 04:53
Void Eater
Account deleted

Just imagine Pooh as a 17 year old metal nerd.
02.09.2011 - 05:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I listen to a couple of christian metal bands, even though I myself am not a christian, so why would I not listen to satanic music just because I'm not a satanist? I'm not going to say I don't care about lyrics at all, because that wouldn't be entirely accurate... If I feel a personal connection to lyrics, then that can make a great song even greater for me. And some song's lyrics are so childishly moronic and puerile that even if I did like the music, I'd knock a couple of points off for terrible lyrics! Maybe an ultra right wing racist band is the only time lyrics actually would put me off a band entirely. Although luckily, I've yet to hear a white supremist band which also plays good music, so I've yet to face that dilemma... It would take a lot for me to find a band's lyrics genuinely offensive, and the small amount of band's lyrics that I have found offensive have came from bands that play awful music, so it's been no big deal anyways.

I agree with Bittercold. If I had to stop listening to music just because I disagreed with viewpoints and principles of band members, there'd be a lot of bands I like that I'd have to stop listening to. Should I have stopped listening to Megadeth just because Dave Mustaine converted to christianity, and started inserting christian type lyrics into Megadeth's music?
02.09.2011 - 06:40
MetalSpider
I'm not a religious person whatsoever...so I'll listen to satanic metal if the music is good. I could care less about the lyrics and their beliefs.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.09.2011 - 09:24
ANGEL REAPER
I do think that lyrics are important part of song(the reason why i hate NSBM).Also i think that by avoiding them you just avoid the integral part of a song....As far as satanic themes goes i do like them to the reasonable extent.I mean its one thing to sing about satan and a completely different is that you use it just to gain media attention.Also i find that if a band can sing about god/gods (which are also imaginary entity)why they cant sing about satan???
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.09.2011 - 09:49
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The question needs another answer option for those, like me, who don't care whether the lyrics are satanic or not, as long as they're good lyrics. Like BitterCOld and Angelic Storm said, the ideology in the songs isn't of that great signifegence (how do you spell that word?) to the enjoyment of the song. If you hate a song based purely on it's lyrical themes, then you probably don't like the music that much anyway. Or the song was personally offending you.
So my answer is : yes, I will listen to sons about satan, but no more so than any other topic. I don't go out of my way to find satanic songs, nor do I go out of my way to avoid them. I listen to whatever I enjoy regardless of the themes.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.09.2011 - 10:23
JCJen7
Goodbye beastofmetal
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
02.09.2011 - 11:21
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
I am a christian, but I do listen to satanic/pagan/whatever bands if I find their lyrics&music interesting and thought provoking. If I don't listen to such a band its not because I find them offensive, its because I don't like their music and/or crap lyrics which look like the work of a 12 year old Satan fanboy.
02.09.2011 - 11:47
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I've put 'I listen to borderline stuff'. I think that none of my fave bands ever wrote something even remotely satanic, but I must have heard at least a couple of songs along the way. I don't like the idea of mixing music and religion - if a band writes music about that, it's likely that I'll stop listening to them. In fact, I don't like the idea of religion whatsoever. And if you start telling me that it's not a religion but rather a philosophy/ideology...nope, not buying those stuff either.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.09.2011 - 12:19
ANGEL REAPER
And yes: the band have to be decent to listen to them...i mean if a some satan fanboy start making a music and dont do that right than he will be ignored by me...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.09.2011 - 12:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by JCJen7 on 02.09.2011 at 10:23

Goodbye beastofmetal

So, what happened to him? Piss too many people off?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.09.2011 - 13:14
Sean 79
I couldn't give a shite what bands sing about. I listen to Blind Gaurdian for crying out loud. I mean singing about hobbits and goblins is as silly as the big bad devil. I've met a few of these supposedly satanic bands and found it's just subject matter. Satanists, Christians, Muslims and all other religious and spiritual groups can keep their imaginary friends.
02.09.2011 - 13:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Goodbye beastofmetal

Did he delete his own account, or was he banned? Shame, he came across as a decent sort of guy to me...
02.09.2011 - 14:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Rest in pieces?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.09.2011 - 14:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.09.2011 at 13:46

Goodbye beastofmetal

Did he delete his own account, or was he banned? Shame, he came across as a decent sort of guy to me...

Deleted his own account. He decided that he'd wasted 2 years on metal and wasn't prepared to continue going against his beliefs.
02.09.2011 - 14:43
The fourth option is the best for me. I've never liked when in the music a religion is pushed too much, cos it brings a lot of chaos to the fans and it separates the metalheads around the globe. So, not only satanic, but every other type of religious lyrics should have a specific borderline... at least in my opinion
02.09.2011 - 17:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 02.09.2011 at 14:41
Deleted his own account. He decided that he'd wasted 2 years on metal and wasn't prepared to continue going against his beliefs.

What? :\ He already said he didn't like satanic bands, so I don't see how liking metal in general would go against his beliefs... ah well, it's his decision I guess.
02.09.2011 - 17:36
Panic!
I put down "I don't listen to it at all."
This is because I find it hard to reconcile this type of music with my identity as a Christian. I respect the artists for their integrity and ability to play, I just steer clear of their stuff. Plus, when you have Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth and Metallica, there's not much you're missing out on.
----
I'd Rather Have A Full Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Full Frontal Lobotomy.
02.09.2011 - 18:19
Metal_4Ever
He PM-ed me before he deleted his account: How do you listen to Dimmu Borgir and your favorite book is The Holy Qur'an, it's a sin, and big one too.
02.09.2011 - 18:48
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Metal_4Ever on 02.09.2011 at 18:19

He PM-ed me before he deleted his account: How do you listen to Dimmu Borgir and your favorite book is The Holy Qur'an, it's a sin, and big one too.

oh boy he came across the "Tormentor of Christian Souls"...
----
02.09.2011 - 19:02
Kuroboshi

I can understand how listening to "Tormenter of Christian Souls" is blasphemy (from a narrow christian view of the world), but I can't really see his arguments for attacking the Qur'an, which is just really close-minded. I'm not religious, but I don't see any necessity to condemn other people for not following the beliefs you have yourself.
02.09.2011 - 19:14
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Written by Kuroboshi on 02.09.2011 at 19:02

I can understand how listening to "Tormenter of Christian Souls" is blasphemy (from a narrow christian view of the world), but I can't really see his arguments for attacking the Qur'an, which is just really close-minded. I'm not religious, but I don't see any necessity to condemn other people for not following the beliefs you have yourself.

I think he was referring to himself, as he had Qur'an in his favorite books, I think

Anyway I cant say anything against Beasties choice to leave MS. He is just 15, all of this is still new to him. He is honestly trying his best to be a good Muslim, and right now he feels that he can marry his love for metal with his love for his faith. I hope he does some thinking, and realizes that he is doing nothing wrong by listening to music as long as you keep your own mind and stay true to what you believe.

Peace Beastboy

PS didn't he already delete his account once ?
02.09.2011 - 19:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Regarding beastofmetal... did he delete his acount? (before, even?)

yes and no.

his account was deleted on his end at the end of July, a new one created, and deleted again now at the start of September. MS staff had nothing to do with it... besides we don't delete accounts, merely ban them, and only after a considerable number of lines have been crossed and warnings issued. (unless you are one of those "i love you" pm spammers from Senegal, then you ar banned and pm's/posts deleted immediately).
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!