Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
05.09.2011 - 01:45
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Jiri on 05.09.2011 at 01:31

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.09.2011 at 00:28

Written by Jiri on 05.09.2011 at 00:24

I really don't give a goddamn what the vocalist is saying. I can't believe people do...

whats the point of vocalist than?

The sound of the vocalist.

thus the meaningless ,brain dead metal, stereotype is born...
in fact the reason why i hate most of today's death/black.any extreme genre bands is that i dont understand what is said by the vocalist...i like vocals to be an integral part of the song,understandable (even if that is growl.language on which the lyrics are is not the matter of this discussion).
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.09.2011 - 02:21
JCJen7
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.09.2011 at 01:45

in fact the reason why i hate most of today's death/black.any extreme genre bands is that i dont understand what is said by the vocalist...i like vocals to be an integral part of the song,understandable (even if that is growl.language on which the lyrics are is not the matter of this discussion).

I don't care what the vocalist says either. I like my music entertaining. Why should I care what the musicians political/social views are?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
05.09.2011 - 02:30
Pazu
I don't listen to a lot of satanic music, but that's not because of the lyrics themselves, but the musical style in general following that kind of material usually. However, I don't care if lyrics are satanic or not, in all honesty. If they are, that doesn't mean that the artists are, and even if so, that in return does not mean that I am satanic or that I will become so. I can apreciate good music even if I don't share any of the believes, views, opinions or ideals voiced through the lyrics. If I didn't, I would probably hardly listen to any metal, or music for that matter, at all. Satanic lyrics do not ruin songs for me, just because I don't share the same views. That's because I don't take anything I listen to dead serious. I am not trying to express who I am with every song rolling through my speakers. Sometimes I just want to have a blast, like a kid pretending to be a criminal in a game.
05.09.2011 - 02:36
ANGEL REAPER
Written by JCJen7 on 05.09.2011 at 02:21

I don't care what the vocalist says either. I like my music entertaining. Why should I care what the musicians political/social views are?

so its like this "Oh this stuff is good. \m/ Lets headbang till our heads drop! (while the lyrics says something like lets rape your mother she is a devils property) "?
Sure its entertaining.But than why to bother to have lyrics? Lets discard that shit out...Now let mix some electro/symphonic shit in...Sell it to the masses! Metal will become as equal as the some pop crap stuff in which only matters to be entertained....
If that is so ,if lyrics dont matter than i think that you could manage with metal covers of ,lets see,Justin Bieber or WTF his name is...He can entertain a bunch of girls,his songs are as good as our "crappy " metal...
Sorry man as a music/lyrics writer,a man who listen/write/live/breed metal ,i just cant comprehend the complete lack of interest for lyrics by growing number of metalheads...
I dont say that they are most important part of a song,but while they are in a song they should be just checked once....even for ,i dont know, entertainment...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.09.2011 - 02:43
Jiri

I really don't give a goddamn what the vocalist is saying. I can't believe people do...

That is just weird to me. You seriously hate bands due to the unintelligibleness of the vocalist? I am a vocalist and vocals are my favorite part of all music but I don't give a fuck about what they are saying. Take Cryptopsy, for example. One of my favorite albums of all time is None So Vile and Lord Worm can't be understood even when looking at the lyrics. But I love his delivery, the drums are outstanding and the riffs are amazing. I could never ignore such talent just because Lorm Worm doesn't pronounciate the lyrics clearly. Lyrics are typically stupid in music anyway...
05.09.2011 - 02:59
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Jiri on 05.09.2011 at 02:43

That is just weird to me. You seriously hate bands due to the unintelligibleness of the vocalist? I am a vocalist and vocals are my favorite part of all music but I don't give a fuck about what they are saying. Take Cryptopsy, for example. One of my favorite albums of all time is None So Vile and Lord Worm can't be understood even when looking at the lyrics. But I love his delivery, the drums are outstanding and the riffs are amazing. I could never ignore such talent just because Lorm Worm doesn't pronounciate the lyrics clearly. Lyrics are typically stupid in music anyway...

i am dead serious...Now one thing is this : if they are just hard thing to be understood,i listen to a song but i always check for lyrics on the net/booklets etc so just to be inform about what is said there .The different thing is if the vocals is as good as the same frequency noise....in that case ,(such bands are not by my taste anyway),i just go to something i can understand.I am vocalist also,but even when i growl i tend to be understandable to audience...
Also i like a dosage of seriousness when the lyrics are maid....
Also check the my favorites bands list...you will understand what type of vocals i like the most...
----
05.09.2011 - 03:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Jiri on 05.09.2011 at 02:43

see also: Obituary and John Tardy. Allegedly they didn't even have lyrics for some of their original songs... just his horrific howling. the point was made without actual words!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.09.2011 - 03:05
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.09.2011 at 02:36

so its like this "Oh this stuff is good. \m/ Lets headbang till our heads drop! (while the lyrics says something like lets rape your mother she is a devils property) "?
Sure its entertaining.But than why to bother to have lyrics? Lets discard that shit out...Now let mix some electro/symphonic shit in...Sell it to the masses! Metal will become as equal as the some pop crap stuff in which only matters to be entertained....
If that is so ,if lyrics dont matter than i think that you could manage with metal covers of ,lets see,Justin Bieber or WTF his name is...He can entertain a bunch of girls,his songs are as good as our "crappy " metal...
Sorry man as a music/lyrics writer,a man who listen/write/live/breed metal ,i just cant comprehend the complete lack of interest for lyrics by growing number of metalheads...
I dont say that they are most important part of a song,but while they are in a song they should be just checked once....even for ,i dont know, entertainment...

Seriously, what does disregard of lyrics have to do with mixing in electro/symphonic elements, and what does somebody doing a metal cover of Bieb's have to do with disregard of lyrics? Not to mention that there are already plenty of Bieber metal versions all over youtube. Really, you're not making any sense.
05.09.2011 - 03:12
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 05.09.2011 at 03:05

Seriously, what does disregard of lyrics have to do with mixing in electro/symphonic elements, and what does somebody doing a metal cover of Bieb's have to do with disregard of lyrics? Not to mention that there are already plenty of Bieber metal versions all over youtube. Really, you're not making any sense.

it was an over the top sarcasm there...A sarcasm in order to dramatize the common situation among the people,a metal heads i know ,which have the same attitude and especially to one of them who thrashed on some NSBM while swearing that he hate NS stuff...When i asked him about the paradox,he said i dont give a fuck i dont listen to what they say...The words has ceased to have meaning...A sad thing by my opinion...nuff said...
----
05.09.2011 - 03:29
JCJen7

I listen to metal because it is my favorite genre. Not because of the lyrics. If I did listen to lyrics, I would most likely mainly listen to hip hop. I don't get what you are saying about electro/symphonic 'shit'. If it sounded good, yeah, I'd listen to it. I am not prejudiced against anything non-metal, it just so happens the music I most commonly listen to is heavy. If you listen to lyrics, more power to you. Personally, I don't care. They could be singing about how they just danced an Irish jig with the power rangers, or how they battled 75 virgins, and if I like it, yeah I'll headbang to it.

Why bother have lyrics? Well, some bands don't bother. For me, lyrics are basically just syllables for the singer to sing. They can be fun to shout along to at live shows, or sing along to while listening to the music. I couldn't care less what it's saying, but they're there.

Despite all this lyrics bashing, I do become interested sometimes, but only when I think it will add the songs. Yeah, I usually read the lyrics if I can't understand them, just to be curious. I don't care what I read though. Some more progressive bands (Queensryche, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, etc.) who I find to have quite nice storytelling lyrics, yeah I'll pay attention. Other bands such as Pantera, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, etc. who have incredibly stupid, useless lyrics I ignore. I don't care, the music sounds great, so I listen to it.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
05.09.2011 - 03:36
ANGEL REAPER
Written by JCJen7 on 05.09.2011 at 03:29

I listen to metal because it is my favorite genre. Not because of the lyrics. If I did listen to lyrics, I would most likely mainly listen to hip hop. I don't get what you are saying about electro/symphonic 'shit'. If it sounded good, yeah, I'd listen to it. I am not prejudiced against anything non-metal, it just so happens the music I most commonly listen to is heavy. If you listen to lyrics, more power to you. Personally, I don't care. They could be singing about how they just danced an Irish jig with the power rangers, or how they battled 75 virgins, and if I like it, yeah I'll headbang to it.

Why bother have lyrics? Well, some bands don't bother. For me, lyrics are basically just syllables for the singer to sing. They can be fun to shout along to at live shows, or sing along to while listening to the music. I couldn't care less what it's saying, but they're there.

Despite all this lyrics bashing, I do become interested sometimes, but only when I think it will add the songs. Yeah, I usually read the lyrics if I can't understand them, just to be curious. I don't care what I read though. Some more progressive bands (Queensryche, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, etc.) who I find to have quite nice storytelling lyrics, yeah I'll pay attention. Other bands such as Pantera, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, etc. who have incredibly stupid, useless lyrics I ignore. I don't care, the music sounds great, so I listen to it.

suit your self...
btw i am not the headbanging/thrashing type of metalhead ...i am the listener...you know...putt my headset on...press play button..and than carefully analyse everything i hear...to me that thing is important because i as a someone who write music and stuff need to learn in order to progress (musically that is)..i have nothing against you personally nor the people that dont listen to vocals ...i just say .. THE WORDS HAVE CEASED TO HAVE MEANING to people...That is all...
----
05.09.2011 - 04:27
I_Die_Often
I am not a satanist, but appreciate the anti Christian/religious lyrics of satanic metal.
Although being a satanist in my opinion, is still giving in to a religion.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.09.2011 - 05:07
rekkuza-
Well, many bands are anti-Christian. There is only a handful of bands I have found who are explicitly Satanic.

I ain't got a policy. If the music sounds nice, I listen. ^^
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
05.09.2011 - 13:33
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by IronAngel on 04.09.2011 at 16:36

... as if there was a wrong way to practice religion.

A Catholic priest over here got kicked out of the catholic church for not following it's rules ,he blessed some gay unions and let women into the parish or something, I can't remember what exactly he did. However, the catholics decides that he was practicing his religion in a wrong way, so yes, there is a wrong way, because someone makes the rules dictating what is and isn't accepted within the confines of a certain faith.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.09.2011 - 13:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm really into satanic music/lyrics. The lyrics are either simple as hell - which I find to be charming - or very epic and appealing to me.

And my thoughts about satanic music is that bands can sing about whatever they want, as long as it sounds good.
----
05.09.2011 - 14:44
Slayer666
Written by I_Die_Often on 05.09.2011 at 04:27

Depends what kind of Satanism. LaVeyan, which seems to be the most popular, is more of a philosophy/way of life than a strict religion.
At least as far as I know.
05.09.2011 - 15:34
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Slayer666 on 05.09.2011 at 14:44

Written by I_Die_Often on 05.09.2011 at 04:27

Depends what kind of Satanism. LaVeyan, which seems to be the most popular, is more of a philosophy/way of life than a strict religion.
At least as far as I know.

LaVey was just a satan groupie hippy...
----
05.09.2011 - 16:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I would risk a guess that about 98% of metal lyrics (or all lyrics in general) are poorly written, puerile prattle not worthy of attention. So no matter if they praise satan, god, or whatever, I usually don't bother at all.

It's the music that counts. If I want to read, I read a book.
05.09.2011 - 16:59
Jiri
Written by Daniell on 05.09.2011 at 16:14

I would risk a guess that about 98% of metal lyrics (or all lyrics in general) are poorly written, puerile prattle not worthy of attention. So no matter if they praise satan, god, or whatever, I usually don't bother at all.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, buddy! As you said, music lyrics are not poetry. If you want true poetry in music, you got some punctilious searching to do. And you most likely won't find it in the heavy metal genre!
05.09.2011 - 18:32
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
My policy is to sit and listen! That's it!
05.09.2011 - 18:33
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
I avoid satanic stuff as much as i can... It's not that I'm very catholic but i do think it's mostly a waste....

And about the quality of lyrics on metal, which is other topic, well for me it counts, yet i still could like something with sh*tty lyrics
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
06.09.2011 - 01:01
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 05.09.2011 at 18:33

I avoid satanic stuff as much as i can... It's not that I'm very catholic but i do think it's mostly a waste....

And about the quality of lyrics on metal, which is other topic, well for me it counts, yet i still could like something with sh*tty lyrics

Is it a waste that you avoid it {lyrics} or a waste that your not very catholic?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
06.09.2011 - 06:04
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I really don't care for lyrics. Sure some genres have sing along type songs, but in the end, i don't really care what it means. The voice is just another instrument to me.
06.09.2011 - 06:18
Garth Vader
Lyrics should tell us a story, or paint a picture, or set us up to think (at least a little). I enjoy a challenge and it is one of the reasons I love metal music, but if the lyrics don't matter then we may as well be listening to that youtube metal baby screaming "yahahahahahahahhayayahhayyahahahhah, blah, blah, blah"... Paint me a picture of hell or heaven, or politics, corruption, pain, etc...I don't care, but make it intelligent, because we the listeners ARE intelligent. If I wanted to listen to moronic lyrics I'd be playing some insipid rap music about gold teeth, and bling-yadda blah blah blah. ...and that is kind of how satanic lyrics come across... closed minded and unintelligent. Gimicky, but not even in a funny way. Sometimes it sells, but not to me. I love dark, haunting music, but then we get the bands that claim they invented the color black and I lose interest. My opinion.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
06.09.2011 - 13:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Jiri on 05.09.2011 at 16:59

Written by Daniell on 05.09.2011 at 16:14

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, buddy! As you said, music lyrics are not poetry. If you want true poetry in music, you got some punctilious searching to do. And you most likely won't find it in the heavy metal genre!

You'll find some meaningful lyrics in metal, just 10 times more lyrics that will be dribble. But as Daniell said, it's inall music genres too. In a hundred years time, people will only remember the good ones. (or the really, really bad ones)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.09.2011 - 15:46
Jiri
I just think its weird that the thread creator just assumes we are all Christian or Satanists and gives us no option not be one of the two. There should have been a "I listen to it. I read the lyrics. I don't care about the offensiveness of the lyrics because I am a Godless (and Satanless) bastard." I would have chose that option or something like it.
06.09.2011 - 20:20
Pazu
Written by Jiri on 06.09.2011 at 15:46

I just think its weird that the thread creator just assumes we are all Christian or Satanists and gives us no option not be one of the two. There should have been a "I listen to it. I read the lyrics. I don't care about the offensiveness of the lyrics because I am a Godless (and Satanless) bastard." I would have chose that option or something like it.

Yeah, I pretty much agree.
07.09.2011 - 19:36
Swamphell
If there is a lot of music in the metal world why should i listen to satanic lyrics theme songs even if the song is rocks i'll find another one for sure without anti-religion lyrics theme ...
07.09.2011 - 19:51
moe5512
I'm an atheist (from birth) so I couldn't care less about it...
07.09.2011 - 20:10
Zombie94
A lot of the bands with satanic references and lyrical themes are in fact just atheists. They use Satan as a symbol of freedom and rejection of Christianity. As for bands that actually worship Satan as a deity, they are but a minute percentage of the genre. Theistic Satanism is marginal at best. La Veyan Satanism, the more popular form of Satanism, is more of a philosophy or moral code which, as I said before, simply uses Satan as a symbol of self indulgence, human nature, individuality etc.