Metal Storm logo
Scary metal songs you have ever listened to ?

Original post

Posted by FOOCK Nam, 13.06.2012 - 16:31
What are scary metal songs you ever listened to ? I mean the songs that make you feel the scary cold touch on your back and neck. Knowing metal is music for enjoyment, but I guess there can some songs that scareeee you. : )

Mine is theses two:
- Bishop Of Hexen - The Somber Ground of Truth
- Swallow The Sun - Ghost of Laura Palmer

What about yours ?
05.09.2016 - 18:07
The Batlord
Written by DualHelix on 05.09.2016 at 05:16
Pretty crazy you mentioned Diamanda Galas, I asked my mother the other day if she remember anything truly giving her the creeps and she mentioned Galas' Litanies of Satan. Which I heard about a long time ago but only heard five seconds of it since it's just yelling and noise.

An easier Diamanda Galas album to get into would be You Must Be Certain of the Devil. The closest she ever came to being accessible.

Written by 3rdWorld on 05.09.2016 at 07:32

None of that is metal hence is a post fail.

That Suicide track is really good I enjoyed it. DG was utter crap, sounds like a woman screaming to her effeminate spouse while taking a dump.

I would post a Scott Walker track but then again it wouldn't be metal so I suggest people stick to metal songs alone.

Meh. Metal isn't scary after you've heard the five millionth death metal or black metal band. Avant garde is where you should go to be disturbed. Needed to be said.
----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
08.09.2016 - 12:24
DualHelix
Written by The Batlord on 05.09.2016 at 18:07

Written by DualHelix on 05.09.2016 at 05:16
Pretty crazy you mentioned Diamanda Galas, I asked my mother the other day if she remember anything truly giving her the creeps and she mentioned Galas' Litanies of Satan. Which I heard about a long time ago but only heard five seconds of it since it's just yelling and noise.

An easier Diamanda Galas album to get into would be You Must Be Certain of the Devil. The closest she ever came to being accessible.

That Suicide track is really good I enjoyed it. DG was utter crap, sounds like a woman screaming to her effeminate spouse while taking a dump.

I would post a Scott Walker track but then again it wouldn't be metal so I suggest people stick to metal songs alone.

Meh. Metal isn't scary after you've heard the five millionth death metal or black metal band. Avant garde is where you should go to be disturbed. Needed to be said.

Very strange. Still I wouldn't exactly call it accessable haha.

Scott Walker? He's just strange, not really scary or anything. But yes, you're right about DG.
08.09.2016 - 15:58
Sang Dalang Abu
There are tons of non-metal songs that can scare you to the bone.

example: power electronics, death industrial, ritual ambient.
09.09.2016 - 12:10
DualHelix
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 08.09.2016 at 15:58

What is Ritual Ambient? Never even heard of that.
09.09.2016 - 19:02
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by DualHelix on 09.09.2016 at 12:10

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 08.09.2016 at 15:58

What is Ritual Ambient? Never even heard of that.

sub-genre of dark ambient, but with ritual atmosphere, sometimes with spoken words or grief/chant voices.

Example: Aghast (Norway), Aeoga etc. . .
09.09.2016 - 20:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by The Batlord on 05.09.2016 at 18:07

Metal isn't scary after you've heard the five millionth death metal or black metal band.

Exactly, thats why we have the thread as "Scary metal songs you have ever listened to ?".

I guess everybody knows by now that other genres can sound and evoke fear and terror much better then metal. So it may be better to scourge for scary metal songs for a change, to see whats the best the genre can come up with. Now go search for that GTT/Phurpa influenced metal band that nobody knows it exists.
09.09.2016 - 22:50
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Esoterics The Maniacal Vale still scares me a bit, even after five million death metal bands. Portals Outre is also scary sometimes.
16.09.2016 - 23:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ok shoot me for being a topic nazi above.

This isn't metal and its not scary but its definitely pretty unnerving, especially the weird vocal effects. I wouldn't definitely sleep with this on a loop.

16.09.2016 - 23:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Well, I always found NwW to be pretty scary...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2016 - 11:39
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Guest on 09.09.2016 at 22:50

Esoterics The Maniacal Vale still scares me a bit, even after five million death metal bands. Portals Outre is also scary sometimes.

What? The Maniacal Vale? I think their 2nd album is more scary.
17.10.2016 - 21:41
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 16.10.2016 at 11:39

Written by Guest on 09.09.2016 at 22:50

What? The Maniacal Vale? I think their 2nd album is more scary.

You dont find Circle scary sometimes? Who are you?
27.10.2016 - 12:22
Alondate
When I first heard about some depressive black metal acts like Silencer. IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME! But after a while, I got used to them. Nowadays this power electronics thing really scares me

For example, what the fuck is this? I really want to speak with someone who like this kind of music. Why?

27.10.2016 - 16:27
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Alondate on 27.10.2016 at 12:22

When I first heard about some depressive black metal acts like Silencer. IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME! But after a while, I got used to them. Nowadays this power electronics thing really scares me

That genre. . . . .

Its like Ultimate of extreme music.
09.11.2016 - 00:27
ZÖN
Metal wise, there are a few things that have conjured up a dark enough atmosphere to shake me

the ambiance here is very unsettling, but the metal is very kick ass

very much noise oriented, even more dominant than metal

And a plethora of stuff from Mories of Gnaw their Tongues, Cloak of Altering, Astral, etc
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
13.05.2019 - 03:31
Orgasmotron
Account deleted
Stalaggh
28.05.2019 - 17:07
radiodead
I found this furious metal track on Soundcloud yesterday. I think it is really aggressive, dark and scary. It almost feels like this demonic nightmare

https://soundcloud.com/user-973659604
10.02.2021 - 21:27
Desha
delicious dish
Why hasn't this been brought up yet???

also: rises higher and higher in my ranking and is creepy and dark af to me. One of the few records that's actually still unsettling to me:

----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
17.04.2021 - 10:58
TorillWenche
Celtic Frost - "Danse Macabre" - I have listened to this one.
17.04.2021 - 12:39
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Craft - Terror Propaganda (the transition into the screaming sequence in the end gives me the chills)
Cradle of Filth - Bathory Aria (the spoken word sequence and the various tones of "my soul to Hell for company")
King Diamond - The Puppet Master (not any song in particular, but the concept of the album. Just read the lyrics while you listen to it. Waking up trapped inside a dolls body... yikes)
My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours (song is about domestic abuse and it is indeed dreadful "Child, won't you awake. Father has gone, Child, please come awake. Please my tiny son". Goosebumps)

Overall, i'd say Cradle of Filth in their prime had an incredible notion of atmosphere and creepiness. The EP Vempire has Dani's best vocal performance and his vocals overlays added a lot to those songs. Then, Dusk and Cruelty were spectacular by their storytelling and gothic ambient.

Also, listening to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem while reading the church burnings, Dead's suicide and Euronymous homicide articles and everything that the band went through is somehow creepy on its own as well.
19.04.2021 - 21:54
Metal Rasputin
Anything from Autopsy's Mental Funeral. I don't think any metal songs are scary, but I still remember the first time I listened to this album and it gave goosebumps. The production is so damn raw and evil, the lyrics are just madness and then there are the slimy vocals themselves, which are nothing short of legendary.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
14.05.2021 - 16:43
Heavy Metta
I have definitely enjoyed a lot of ambient music which creates a chilling atmosphere. However, this thread came to mind when I first heard The Crawling's latest single. I think there's something chilling about the music and the lyrical content. It has a grimy feeling to it that reminds me of a dark thriller or folk horror.

----
Last Gig: Max & Igor Cavalera (w/ Conan)
Upcoming (maybe): In Flames, Parkway Drive, Bloodstock Festival, Arctangent Festival, Damnation Festival 2021, Meshuggah, and 2 Orange Goblin livestreams
17.05.2021 - 13:10
gavdann
Written by TorillWenche on 17.04.2021 at 10:58

Celtic Frost - "Danse Macabre" - I have listened to this one.

I agree. It probably doesn't for anyone listening to it for the first time today but back in the 80's this gave me the creeps as well.

There isn't a lot else though (metal wise) that does tbh.
14.06.2021 - 05:05
Rexorcist
Massive Conspiracy Against All Life scared the living shit out of me. Hell the shit nearly spoke to me.
23.06.2021 - 22:18
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I don't think I have ever listened to a song that I found actually scary. The Procession Of Dead Clowns - (Blut Aus Nord) comes close I suppose, it has a haunting atmosphere. The De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - (Mayhem) title track I found a bit freaky first time I heard it.
24.06.2021 - 19:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Not really metal, but the middle part in Pink Floyd's Echoes is pretty creepy (with all that eerie silence interrupted by random squeaks, etc).
Not exactly scary, but I always found the one main riff in Edge of Sanity's Crimson super haunting: @26:56 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6lJaiHYIc
24.06.2021 - 23:51
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.06.2021 at 19:50

Not really metal, but the middle part in Pink Floyd's Echoes is pretty creepy (with all that eerie silence interrupted by random squeaks, etc).
Not exactly scary, but I always found the one main riff in Edge of Sanity's Crimson super haunting: @26:56 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6lJaiHYIc

I love the song Echoes, I remember hearing what sounded like a submarine radar halfway through.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, I completely forgot about the live version of Careful Of That Axe Eugene, from the Ummagumma album, that build up had a chilling atmosphere, then that Scream is truly terrifying!
29.07.2021 - 21:59
Brutal Water
I'm not sure I could ever find a *metal* song scary. If metal was a sub-genre of horror movies, I'd picture it as splatter movies, which are often more fun than actually scary. Movies that scare me the most are subtle slow-burners. Translated to music, it would be dark ambient and/or gothic music.

That said, the closest things that come to mind in regards to scary metal would be ambient BM, preferably the kind inspired by cosmic horror (huge Lovecraft fan here if you couldn't already tell from my avatar). Darkspace is a good contender there.

As for non-metal music, I think the main theme from Suspiria (original) by the band Goblin is kinda creepy.

There is also the song "Misery Tomb" by Samhain (which IIRC is supposed to be a remix of "I Am Misery"). I remember hanging out with friends at a party back when we were teenagers. There were lots of preppy girls there, but the guy whose house we were partying at was into punk and metal. We were stoned out of our minds and then one of us suggested that at midnight we'd turn off the lights and put "Misery Tomb" on at full blast. His parents were kinda rich, so the speakers were pretty... "efficient". Man, it was so much fun watching the girls freak out when the first scream came on during the song. Good times.

Here's the "song" in question:
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
22.09.2021 - 20:31
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
The beginning of the "Hell Awaits" title track and the last track on the album "Enter the Moonlight Gate" are pretty creepy
09.11.2022 - 21:21
TheTrueLHC
This video is batshit nasty !

Who doesn't like velociraptors ?

01.01.2023 - 20:03
Dean0495
"Hetroertzen" is the most scariest and darkest bands out there in my opinion. I have read their interviews and they're really into occultism unlike most bands. They say that they perform rituals on a live scene and it's just a small part of what they do in their coven and yes, you heard me right, they do have a coven. I know a lots of metal bands with satanic atmosphere, but none of them compares to this band, not even close. This stuff is very dark. So, think twice before searching them on youtube and listening them. You have been warned.