Metal Storm logo
Shining

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 07:00
Suicidal Black Metal baby...

one of the most obscure bands on earth... passionate, dense, suffocationg, fullfilled by despair... their debut album is my favourite followed by The Eerie Cold...

what do you expect for their next? the chapter V is released this year...
03.07.2009 - 19:16
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by W-Lash on 03.07.2009 at 18:54

Seems really boring. Sad. Old ideas mixed together and nothing original. While listnening songs I often get a situation when I remember "this theme is from that album" or "this song is from that"...

Yeah, especially during the last one I had the feeling like it was a collage of Halmstad's tracks.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.07.2009 - 19:44
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well, "Ohm - Skoj Att Leva" sounds truly great. And "Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande" also is pretty good.
I haven't really heard it all but the album seems less melodic and more technical, as Elio already said but there are enough interesting parts as well.

*after 5 minutes*

Although... at some point I can't say it's not melodic.
03.07.2009 - 23:56
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Elio on 03.07.2009 at 19:16

Yeah, especially during the last one I had the feeling like it was a collage of Halmstad's tracks.

Song with a similar name was one one of previous albums. And I'm almost sure this one has got themes from many of songs made before...
04.07.2009 - 04:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 03.07.2009 at 17:40

Written by Damnated on 03.07.2009 at 15:57

there's definitely a lot of filler riffs, sadly. And i'm really annoyed by the clean singing in the second song. should have left out the shredding too. i'm in the middle of my first listen, and so far it's average with a few good moments. needs more listens, though.

We are sympathizing here, Dude. Fuck sympathy, I don't need that, I need my fuckin' Shining.

You're generally unsatisfied by the first listen, but sometimes come around to enjoying an album. The fact that you write that it's average gives me a good chance to check it out and be content. I don't even know what the fuck I'd do if you wrote that a new album was genius. lol

I think I know which song your talking about with the clear vocals. Same one on the myspace, right? I'm waiting until I go to the states... get the album there.

i'm at my 3rd listen, and i dislike it even more. the first the songs are okayish, but quickly turn into guitar wankery prog metal. shred-shred-shred-fuck-fuck-fuck. also ohm is a cover of this. doesn't beat the original imo. Kvaforth's clean vocals are just annoying.

vi is: old shining+bad part of dream theater+uninspired ideas of opeth. *sadface*
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.07.2009 - 12:41
Deadsoulman
Elite
Dude, you're really overdoing the technical side of this album. Ok, this album seems more technical than the usual Shining and it has quite a lot of solos, but "guitar wankery prog metal"? "bad part dream theater"? You're clearly exaggerating there

Now, I haven't listened to this album enough to say if I like it or not, but I agree some parts sound as if taken straight out of IV or V.
04.07.2009 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 04.07.2009 at 12:41

Dude, you're really overdoing the technical side of this album. Ok, this album seems more technical than the usual Shining and it has quite a lot of solos, but "guitar wankery prog metal"? "bad part dream theater"? You're clearly exaggerating there

But then again those were the same words he used when describing Deathspell Omega's Chaining The Katechon
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.07.2009 - 14:18
TheBigRossowski
Written by Damnated on 04.07.2009 at 04:24

Written by TheBigRossowski on 03.07.2009 at 17:40

Written by Damnated on 03.07.2009 at 15:57

there's definitely a lot of filler riffs, sadly. And i'm really annoyed by the clean singing in the second song. should have left out the shredding too. i'm in the middle of my first listen, and so far it's average with a few good moments. needs more listens, though.

We are sympathizing here, Dude. Fuck sympathy, I don't need that, I need my fuckin' Shining.

You're generally unsatisfied by the first listen, but sometimes come around to enjoying an album. The fact that you write that it's average gives me a good chance to check it out and be content. I don't even know what the fuck I'd do if you wrote that a new album was genius. lol

I think I know which song your talking about with the clear vocals. Same one on the myspace, right? I'm waiting until I go to the states... get the album there.

i'm at my 3rd listen, and i dislike it even more. the first the songs are okayish, but quickly turn into guitar wankery prog metal. shred-shred-shred-fuck-fuck-fuck. also ohm is a cover of this. doesn't beat the original imo. Kvaforth's clean vocals are just annoying.

vi is: old shining+bad part of dream theater+uninspired ideas of opeth. *sadface*

That's what he said at Schwerte last October, but then I didn't read any trace of it being a cover after that. I thought maybe he was just fucking with us... again. The original sounds interesting though. However, I don't remember the Shining version anyways. That was last October.

Fuck, I feel really weird, I think I drank too much last night.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
05.07.2009 - 15:11
Damnated
Churchburner

of course i'm exaggerating, it's not THAT technical, but it is technical enough to be an annoying, cliché prog metal album. and yes, that constant, mindless shredding reminds me a lot of dream theater.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.07.2009 - 15:43
TheBigRossowski
Written by Damnated on 05.07.2009 at 15:11

of course i'm exaggerating, it's not THAT technical, but it is technical enough to be an annoying, cliché prog metal album. and yes, that constant, mindless shredding reminds me a lot of dream theater.

Now, I'm confused. I thought, Ohm was the cover AND that is what Kvarforth said at Schwerte. Damnated, you posted that video from Seigmen, but track number four is ''Fullständigt jävla död inuti'' and is the one that sounds like ''Ohm'' from Seigmen. At least on this version I downloaded. I know.... I couldn't wait, decided to download it, but I'll still buy it in New York. On this... Ohm is just an acoustic song, is this correct or is that just the stress talking, man?

Anyways at the end of MY ''Fullständigt jävla död inuti'' it sounds like he's saying
02:35 or so...
''Ya, my nigga, nigggga, ya my nigga''

Don't concentrate on what he's really saying, but just think about how it sounds.
----
07.07.2009 - 11:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 06.07.2009 at 15:43

Now, I'm confused. I thought, Ohm was the cover AND that is what Kvarforth said at Schwerte. Damnated, you posted that video from Seigmen, but track number four is ''Fullständigt jävla död inuti'' and is the one that sounds like ''Ohm'' from Seigmen. At least on this version I downloaded. I know.... I couldn't wait, decided to download it, but I'll still buy it in New York. On this... Ohm is just an acoustic song, is this correct or is that just the stress talking, man?

the rip is mistagged. the fourth track is the ohm cover.
----

07.07.2009 - 15:43
TheBigRossowski
''Technical wankery'' do seem to be the appropriate words in this case. It's a good album, but it's lacking that feeling from Halmstad. That's somehow been washed away for a chance to be perhaps more... accepted? Nothing against all that... it was just a bit unexpected.

I like the Dude's clear vocals though, Damnated.
----
08.07.2009 - 01:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Got my copy today. Only had time to listen to it once. Why doesn't it have the promised cover art?

Anyway, my first assessment is that this album lacks the flow of Halmstad & The Eerie Cold. Why? I wouldn't exactly call it technical wankery cause it's fucking miles away from a band like Dream Theater, but rather an over-the-top attempt at being chaotic/dissonant.

But then again, it was only my first listen and that was ten hours ago. I really need to think this one through. A review will definitely follow.

EDIT: Oh, and Damnated & TheBigRossowski, I fucking loved that clean singing part in the fourth or fifth (?) trick. I think it was the fourth. I was definitely surprised, but I loved that part. I'd perhaps even call it one of Shining's shining moments.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.07.2009 - 07:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 08.07.2009 at 01:22

EDIT: Oh, and Damnated & TheBigRossowski, I fucking loved that clean singing part in the fourth or fifth (?) trick. I think it was the fourth. I was definitely surprised, but I loved that part. I'd perhaps even call it one of Shining's shining moments.

on Ohm? ay, it's ok there. i think that is my fav track from the album. too bad it's just a cover.

gonna re-listen to the album again, now with proper tags. i have no idea now which song is which.
----

08.07.2009 - 14:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Damnated on 08.07.2009 at 07:01

on Ohm? ay, it's ok there. i think that is my fav track from the album. too bad it's just a cover.

I didn't knew it was a cover... Which band? o.o
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2009 - 14:56
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.07.2009 at 14:08

I didn't knew it was a cover... Which band? o.o

Seigmen. Damnated posted a link to the original song a few posts up.
08.07.2009 - 16:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Deadsoulman on 08.07.2009 at 14:56

Seigmen. Damnated posted a link to the original song a few posts up.

Lol, I didn't saw that link since it was just the word "this" and it was late at night when I saw it, thanks btw.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2009 - 23:49
TheBigRossowski

gonna re-listen to the album again, now with proper tags. i have no idea now which song is which.

Yeah, my wife hates Shining too and I played that song to let her figure it out. She was quite impressed, which means now I HAVE to hate Shining, lol. Not really. My shit is definitely tagged wrong, or the person got the songs backwards. Number four is the actual ''Ohm'' cover and five is acoustic, but the names are backwards as well.

@Lucas-The technical wankery thing is a bit over board, definitely no Dream Theater material, but they've still gone out of their way. Halmstad was darker without the gimmicks.However, I still enjoy it quite a bit... but the Dude is also an Opeth fan. And I didn't say I didn't like the clear vocals.... did I?... is this a... what day is this?
----
10.07.2009 - 11:25
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 08.07.2009 at 23:49

My shit is definitely tagged wrong, or the person got the songs backwards. Number four is the actual ''Ohm'' cover and five is acoustic, but the names are backwards as well.

I received the album yesterday and the leak was almost entirely tagged wrong. This is the correct tracklist (note that even the name of the cover has changed):
01. Vilseledda Barnasjälars Hemvist
02. Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande
03. Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti
04. Ohm (Sommar Med Siv)
05. Krossade Drömmar Och Brutna Löften
06. Total Utfrysning
10.07.2009 - 19:04
TheBigRossowski
Written by Deadsoulman on 10.07.2009 at 11:25

Written by TheBigRossowski on 08.07.2009 at 23:49

My shit is definitely tagged wrong, or the person got the songs backwards. Number four is the actual ''Ohm'' cover and five is acoustic, but the names are backwards as well.

I received the album yesterday and the leak was almost entirely tagged wrong. This is the correct tracklist (note that even the name of the cover has changed):
01. Vilseledda Barnasjälars Hemvist
02. Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande
03. Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti
04. Ohm (Sommar Med Siv)
05. Krossade Drömmar Och Brutna Löften
06. Total Utfrysning

The cover of the song is still the same... Ohm, unless you mean that second part. The Dude is somehow pleased with the album.
----
11.07.2009 - 14:53
Daniel
Kvarforth seems kind of try-hardish in a sense, Not saying I have a problem with any of his ideals, just that he seems too out-spoken in certain video interviews.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
15.07.2009 - 15:34
W-Lash
Metal Master
Now I have played this for like 6-7 times. Bad, but I haven't changed my mind - this album is poor. And the first song is real crap.
15.07.2009 - 15:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hmm, I haven't had the time buying it. But I need to buy a new pipe this week, maybe I'll pick up VI at the same time.
----
15.07.2009 - 16:13
Ragana
Rawrcat

Yeah, I thought the same at the first time. Now my favourite song is the last one, really beautiful and interesting although there was some part almost copied from Halmstad's "Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra" which I didn't like... that quiet part where someone's (again) crying, that's a bit boring. But anyway the song is just fantastic.
02.08.2009 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
People who ay the guitar soling is shredding on thi album ave no idea as to what shredding entails.
And this album technical? that' like calling Motorhead technical or for that matter any old fashioned heavy metal band.

This album though not as good as the first five Shining albums is still a great album and far from as bad as people make it out to be. It is a real grower which is markedby actually a brillian built up where even the cover o Ohm fits in perfectly. when playing the songs on shuffles, so as stand alone tracks, they totlly become undone.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 21:08
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 16:51

And this album technical? that' like calling Motorhead technical or for that matter any old fashioned heavy metal band.

You bring a good point here. A point that tons of people completely overlook today. How technically poor classic 80s heavy metal was.

This genre is so overrated nowadays. Lots of people consider the old heavy metal bands as sacrosanct and don't see how simple, basic and slow this music is for today's standards. Compared to 90s and 00s metal, this stuff pales in comparison. Maybe it was heavy, fast, aggressive, raw for the time but it's not today. It often sounds stripped to the bone compared to more evolved metal genres.

I will probably be bashed for saying this, but it doesn't matter to me. I liked this stuff when I was young, when we had nothing better. However, it's outdated today. From my point of view, old 80s heavy metal has been replaced by Thrash, Death, Black, Doom and Power metal (I know very well those genres all existed during the 80s but they took the upper hand on heavy metal because they evolved, while standard heavy metal has been completely stale). They all are more advanced forms of metal and 'killed' this old stuff. Imo, none of the old classic heavy metal band should have carried on through the 90s and the millenia, because metal has undergone a huge evolution in the last two decades and those old fashioned bands missed it. They're stuck in the 80s, where they should have been left. Most of them haven't released anything else than sub-par material in the last two decades, anyway. Or repeat themselves to the death.

The 80s are over and it would be about time people realize it. Especially now that those old bands are getting so aged they will all stop playing in the years to come. I'm an old metalhead, but at least I live in the present, and not only in the past like some people are doing.

Fact is old 80s heavy metal can't be compared to nowadays metal technically. And I'm sick of those people who still believe that old has-beens are the best musicians on the scene.

Also, what I have a hard time to understand is that almost everyone seemed to despise this kind of metal during the 90s and believed it had done its time but now it seems to be a new fashion. People seem to believe those old bands have always been on the top of the scene, while most of them were pretty much dead in the 90s. It's as if people have forgotten everything.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.08.2009 - 17:10
TheBigRossowski
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 16:51

People who ay the guitar soling is shredding on thi album ave no idea as to what shredding entails.

This album though not as good as the first five Shining albums is still a great album and far from as bad as people make it out to be.

In comparison to other Shining albums, it is most definitely ''shredding''. I get your point, but what I'm saying is, it's Shomer Shining Shabbos, the black metal day of rest which I'm allowed to break ONLY if it's an emergency. They've replaced what appears to be atmospheric passages for a more ''gnarly'' sound. But then again, it's about attracting the youth and destroying their lives, right? lol

Just listen to Eerie Cold and then Klagopsalmer back to back. Lot of uh, uh, intricate shit on Klagopsalmer in comparison. Tell me that you would still kill yourself at the end of Klagopsalmer?

With that aside, I'm pleased with the album, it's merely a different side of Shining, that not everyone is used to or willing to accept.
----
13.08.2009 - 16:52
Damnated
Churchburner
their whole european tour got canceled because of one romanian guy. the thing i don't get, though, is how could they possibly ask a 19 year old to organize a whole tour and expect success.
----

27.10.2009 - 14:13
mm_jj
Hello!
i have one question about Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson!i dont know where i must ask this question!but i think you can answer this question!
so first of all i must say i love Niklass but i see this Pic in the internet!
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30780175/Shining+Infernal+Damnation+Fest+London.jpg
this pic so strange for me!
now can you tell me niklas is a realy gay?(i must say i hate homosexuality):wall:
if not why he did this????

-----
sorry for my english
27.10.2009 - 20:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by mm_jj on 27.10.2009 at 14:13

Hello!
i have one question about Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson!i dont know where i must ask this question!but i think you can answer this question!
so first of all i must say i love Niklass but i see this Pic in the internet!
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30780175/Shining+Infernal+Damnation+Fest+London.jpg
this pic so strange for me!
now can you tell me niklas is a realy gay?(i must say i hate homosexuality):wall:
if not why he did this????

-----
sorry for my english

I don't think that he's a homosexual.. By the way I've seen in another picture Kvarforth was kissing Maniac (in their Skitliv live performance).. I've no idea about him whether he's gay or not, but in my opinion it's just a show; not always true..
27.10.2009 - 21:17
Ragana
Rawrcat

so first of all i must say i love Niklass

(i must say i hate homosexuality):wall:

Nice pic, though. He has a talent in making photos of him look so interesting even if he doesn't know it.