Metal Storm logo
Cricket

Original post

Posted by Valar, 19.05.2006 - 17:01
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
30.01.2009 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
You got a good mix of experience (Smith, Boucher, Kallis, Ntini) and new young guys (Duminy, Amla, Steyn)
But what you lack is a quality spinner.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.01.2009 - 18:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2009 at 18:11

Written by Guest on 30.01.2009 at 18:07

And I think the fact that Warne and McGrath isnt there anymore just shows how Ponting isnt the great captain people thought he was. Its nice to have 2 of the greatest bowlers in cricketing history play under you for over a decade. The cool thing is, the new players in our side dont suffer from the trauma and losses from our earlier years (especially that horrible 1999 WC semi-final), guys like Duminy who only just started out totally destroyed the Aussies.

But who knows...perhaps its short lived, but I think this is our best chance yet.

Although Ponting was the official captain it was clear that the true field captain was always Warne. Warne should have been captian without a doubt but because of his off-field antics was never made into one.
Although I am a huge fan of the Aussies it was about time they got bumped off the nr. 1 spot. Dominance for that long a period is never good for a sport.
Well thank God the South Africans are and will be the new nr. 1 as long as it isn't England I am fine with it.

True that man...The Aussies have always been our arch rivals for obvious reasons, but I dont even hate THEM as much as I do England. And I really hope Australia cleans the floor with them in the Ashes. And the probably will...eversince they won the 2005 Ashes theyve had this misguided belief that they are still better than anyone (eventhough they got whitewashed 5-0 when they played Oz over there.)

Funny enough, the only two player in the England side who seem to know what they're doing are Strauss and Pietersen, both South Africans hehe (Eventhough Pietersen is the most pompous asshole in World Cricket)
30.01.2009 - 18:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.01.2009 at 18:15

True that man...The Aussies have always been our arch rivals for obvious reasons, but I dont even hate THEM as much as I do England. And I really hope Australia cleans the floor with them in the Ashes. And the probably will...eversince they won the 2005 Ashes theyve had this misguided belief that they are still better than anyone (eventhough they got whitewashed 5-0 when they played Oz over there.)

Funny enough, the only two player in the England side who seem to know what they're doing are Strauss and Pietersen, both South Africans hehe (Eventhough Pietersen is the most pompous asshole in World Cricket)

Btw although they won the Ashes in 2005 it was much closer than the scoreline made it out to be. Actually if McGrath had not stepped on a ball during warming up and had not got injured England would have lost that series.

Yeah Pietersen is the biggest pompous arrogant egotistical asshole around in world cricket. Just be glad he isn't playing for you. With him in the team you will never have a TEAM.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2009 - 07:54
Ascendant187
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2009 at 18:19

Btw although they won the Ashes in 2005 it was much closer than the scoreline made it out to be. Actually if McGrath had not stepped on a ball during warming up and had not got injured England would have lost that series.

Yeah Pietersen is the biggest pompous arrogant egotistical asshole around in world cricket. Just be glad he isn't playing for you. With him in the team you will never have a TEAM.

If I may also add to the discussion - I think the 2005 Ashes was definitely a lot closer than it's been made out to be. I forget which test match it was but Australia were close to chasing down the total in the second innings before Kaspowicz (sp?) was unjustly given out caught. Of course instances like that happen all the time in world cricket; it's a matter of simply taking the iffy decisions and moving on. The white wash over here showed that England were able to capitalise on a moment and not actually remain consistent.

Another thing to be noted is that a team SHOULD win on home soil. There's an advantage to be had in most cases and that's why it's a bigger thing to win a series away from home. In the case of South Africa they've done incredibly well. Australia, if anything, are still reeling and it'll be a while before our ODI middle order settles.

I believe Marcel may have also noted that South Africa might be lacking a quality spinner. If anything Australia is too, especially when it comesto the ODI arena. I think officials were too quick to oust Brad Hogg, who was very energetic and lively despite his age. Batsmen appeared to have trouble picking his deliveries as well, in particular Sub-Continent players and, as we know, they generally play spin quite well.

And before I forget while editing this - Pietersen is an absolute prick. Why did England ever make him captain? He deserves to be punched repeatedly.
02.02.2009 - 23:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ascendant187 on 01.02.2009 at 07:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2009 at 18:19

If I may also add to the discussion - I think the 2005 Ashes was definitely a lot closer than it's been made out to be. I forget which test match it was but Australia were close to chasing down the total in the second innings before Kaspowicz (sp?) was unjustly given out caught. Of course instances like that happen all the time in world cricket; it's a matter of simply taking the iffy decisions and moving on. The white wash over here showed that England were able to capitalise on a moment and not actually remain consistent.

Another thing to be noted is that a team SHOULD win on home soil. There's an advantage to be had in most cases and that's why it's a bigger thing to win a series away from home. In the case of South Africa they've done incredibly well. Australia, if anything, are still reeling and it'll be a while before our ODI middle order settles.

I believe Marcel may have also noted that South Africa might be lacking a quality spinner. If anything Australia is too, especially when it comesto the ODI arena. I think officials were too quick to oust Brad Hogg, who was very energetic and lively despite his age. Batsmen appeared to have trouble picking his deliveries as well, in particular Sub-Continent players and, as we know, they generally play spin quite well.

And before I forget while editing this - Pietersen is an absolute prick. Why did England ever make him captain? He deserves to be punched repeatedly.

Yeah Im so glad Pietersen left and doesnt play for our team, when he just left I was a bit pissed off....but he always throws his toys out of the cot - the exact same thing happened that led to him leaving SA. He felt he was above and beyond the rest and was pissed off that he was being overlooked / quota system etc. and eventhough every other player in our country understood that for the most part and grinded it out to finally be selected, Pietersen decided "fuck this, dont they wanna pick me". Which is ironic because at the time of his decision he was a pretty inconspicuous player - lower order batsman and bowled medium.

About SA and their lack of spin - I think Botha is the best spinner we've had since like forever. We've never really relied on spin but he showed that he is seriously good, takes wickets and can be economic so Im banking on seeing him in the test team before too long. The other thing is, not many teams HAVE great spinners. Warne was the last one and obviously theres Murali and perhaps Harbahjan (but hes more bells and whistles, not that good). Then theres Vittori of NZ who i think is real good.

So thats a total of 2, MAYBE 3 countries with decent spinners. All the rest, even Australia suck in that department but we've shown that you dont really need a good spinner to compete in the sub-continent - we managed to draw against India in India in the test series with that mediocre Paul Harris, and as you said ur expected to win home series....so I think as long as the rest of your attack is pretty decent and you have a spinner who can keep one end tight you will get wickets at the other end. Thats the way I think we go about our whole spin-dilemma

Dunno thats just my summary of it...
02.02.2009 - 23:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.02.2009 at 23:40

...Which is ironic because at the time of his decision he was a pretty inconspicuous player - lower order batsman and bowled medium.

He bowled medium pace at the time? It can't be much worse than his current so-called spinning It is a disgrace he is allowed to bowl in test matches.

Quote:

About SA and their lack of spin - I think Botha is the best spinner we've had since like forever. We've never really relied on spin but he showed that he is seriously good, takes wickets and can be economic so Im banking on seeing him in the test team before too long. The other thing is, not many teams HAVE great spinners. Warne was the last one and obviously theres Murali and perhaps Harbahjan (but hes more bells and whistles, not that good). Then theres Vittori of NZ who i think is real good.

Currently there aren't too many good spinners I agree, but of course besides Murali for Sri Lanka there is of course Kumble for India (he is far superior to Harbahjan) and of course Vettori who should also not be underestimated and Sri Lanka has Mendis. my God... really IMO he is much better potentially than Murali. Mendis blasted onto botht the test and odi scene last year. Incredible variety he has in flight, spin, speed, everything.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2009 - 12:22
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 23:58

Currently there aren't too many good spinners I agree, but of course besides Murali for Sri Lanka there is of course Kumble for India (he is far superior to Harbahjan) and of course Vettori who should also not be underestimated and Sri Lanka has Mendis. my God... really IMO he is much better potentially than Murali. Mendis blasted onto botht the test and odi scene last year. Incredible variety he has in flight, spin, speed, everything.

Mendis is not yet better than Murali.. He has alot of potential and can be unstoppable on some pitches. Pitches with a bit of bounce and turn make him a real handful. Murali would probably spin it on glass. The guy is a living legend and Mendis still has some way to go. Anyway, needless to say, Sri Lankan bowling looks to be in capable hands.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.02.2009 - 14:41
Ascendant187
Has Kumble retired? He was a very good bowler. While he didn't turn it he had great bounce and knew when to bowl within himself. Sachin Tendulkar is actually pretty handy with the ball too, as far as spin goes.
03.02.2009 - 15:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 23:58

Written by Guest on 02.02.2009 at 23:40

...Which is ironic because at the time of his decision he was a pretty inconspicuous player - lower order batsman and bowled medium.

He bowled medium pace at the time? It can't be much worse than his current so-called spinning It is a disgrace he is allowed to bowl in test matches.

Quote:

Yeah I think Kumble retired a while ago....heard a lot about this Mendis dude, never seen him bowl but his average is ridiculous - something like 13 last year for ODI's
03.02.2009 - 17:08
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 03.02.2009 at 15:44

Yeah I think Kumble retired a while ago....heard a lot about this Mendis dude, never seen him bowl but his average is ridiculous - something like 13 last year for ODI's

Yeah Mendis has been picking up wickets for fun during most times.. He's the fastest bowler to get to 50 wickets so far..

India are doing really well at the moment though and looks like they're going to win the series..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.02.2009 - 19:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Himann on 03.02.2009 at 17:08

India are doing really well at the moment though and looks like they're going to win the series..

They did win the ODI series today. 3rd ODI
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2009 - 06:40
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Himann on 03.02.2009 at 17:08

Written by Guest on 03.02.2009 at 15:44

Yeah Mendis has been picking up wickets for fun during most times.. He's the fastest bowler to get to 50 wickets so far..

Mendis is being hit all over the place in this series....he has some 4 wickets to his name in the 4 ODi's played in the series and his economy has been above 5.....
India have a really good ODI side (currently on a 9 match winning streak) and they will top the ICC ODI ratings if they rout Lanka 5-0...have already won 4 of the 5.....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
06.02.2009 - 10:26
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well hopefully the Lankan lions will put up a better fight in the last one then
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
06.02.2009 - 16:29
Judas
The Amputator
Hahaha, Australia are getting beaten by the Kiwis now too! While I should normally be supporting them, I find this turn of events amazingly funny. Oh how the mighty have fallen... Just goes to show how much they relied on a few core players for their success. The loss of Warne and McGrath was glossed over briefly, mainly because Brett Lee performed and the others rallied around him, but now he's out of the picture as well (at least for the time being) and things are falling apart. On the batting front, no Hayden, no Langer, no Martyn (people forget what he provided in the middle order)... The stability at the top of the order has definitely decreased. Also, Haddin is a royal asshole. He and KP should start a club.

P.S. GO INDIA! (Just to spite Himann )
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
06.02.2009 - 17:51
Ascendant187
Written by Judas on 06.02.2009 at 16:29

Hahaha, Australia are getting beaten by the Kiwis now too! While I should normally be supporting them, I find this turn of events amazingly funny. Oh how the mighty have fallen... Just goes to show how much they relied on a few core players for their success. The loss of Warne and McGrath was glossed over briefly, mainly because Brett Lee performed and the others rallied around him, but now he's out of the picture as well (at least for the time being) and things are falling apart. On the batting front, no Hayden, no Langer, no Martyn (people forget what he provided in the middle order)... The stability at the top of the order has definitely decreased. Also, Haddin is a royal asshole. He and KP should start a club.

Being a West Aussie I certainly never forgot Martyn's contribution. I think he ended up being very frustrated over how things were run back then and eventually told them where to stick it.

The fact that we're only just now blooding a lot of new players is seriously hurting the team. Like you say, the top of the order isn't looking very stable and the middle order is a complete shambles. Warner is by no means a quick fix for the missing Gilchrist (or Hayden for that matter). I think Marsh is fine where he is and has generally made runs when he's played. I'm not sure how long he's out for but he'll be missed.

I'm not sure why selectors continue to pick Cameron White. We miss a fit (and in form) Andrew Symonds but I don't know if he'll ever be the same again, what with his off field problems.

Aside from selection mishaps, injuries and the like we're definitely playing with little to no belief at the moment. There's no confidence in any area, at all. I think this is the beginning of a lengthy slump for Australian cricket unless it's managed properly and quickly.
07.02.2009 - 20:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
NIce test between the West INdies and England.

England 1st innings: 318
Windies 1st innings: 392

current scoreline
England 2nd innings: 23/5 s0 trailing by 51 runs with 5 wickets still in hand,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2009 - 20:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
What the hell is going on here? England are now 23/6
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2009 - 20:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
26/7
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2009 - 21:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, England slaughtered by Windies.

England 2nd innings 51 all out, West Indies won by an innings and 23 runs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2009 - 15:32
Judas
The Amputator
Hahahahahaha, England got DESTROYED! I'm glad that the Windies finally have something to be proud of, especially since their rock Chanderpaul didn't have to bat out of his skin to achieve it.
Australia also finally won a game, and so did Sri Lanka. What's happening this weekend?
----
08.02.2009 - 16:11
Ascendant187
I believe Flintoff top scored in the second innings with a score of 24 (or something like that).

Good to see Australia win, which has been a rarity lately. I wonder if things would've been different if McCullum hadn't been injured however.
09.02.2009 - 11:16
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Judas on 06.02.2009 at 16:29

Ah well, at least it wasn't a whitewash lol..

About the Aussies, they can probably dig themselves out of this mess if they're smart with their selecting. Not looking too bright in the bowling department though..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.02.2009 - 17:43
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yay Windies!! Show those pommie bastards how it's done. Awesome that England didnt win and Windies still lead the series. Man I cant stand England, dunno why I loathe them more than even Australia. Eventhough I dont dislike Australia as much as I used to, initially only hated them because they wouldnt lose lol

Speaking of which, next week its the first test between Oz and SA - not a good start for them in the warm-up match today. Pres XI ended the day on 395/5, more than 4rpo against what Ponting mentioned would probably be the same team for the 1st test. Wonder if the Aussies will be able to compete with us in this series....they need to pull their socks up if they wanna redeem themselves me thinks.
21.02.2009 - 16:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.02.2009 at 17:43

Yay Windies!! Show those pommie bastards how it's done. Awesome that England didnt win and Windies still lead the series. Man I cant stand England, dunno why I loathe them more than even Australia. Eventhough I dont dislike Australia as much as I used to, initially only hated them because they wouldnt lose lol

Speaking of which, next week its the first test between Oz and SA - not a good start for them in the warm-up match today. Pres XI ended the day on 395/5, more than 4rpo against what Ponting mentioned would probably be the same team for the 1st test. Wonder if the Aussies will be able to compete with us in this series....they need to pull their socks up if they wanna redeem themselves me thinks.

I can't see the current crop of Aussies beating you guys. The currently just don't have the talent. They are going downhill and imo it will take them at least a decade to become invincible once again.

Yeah I also loved the fact the English didn't beat the Windies.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2009 - 16:22
Judas
The Amputator
Anyone watching the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Test? That pitch is a bowler's graveyard.
----
24.02.2009 - 23:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 24.02.2009 at 16:22

Anyone watching the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Test? That pitch is a bowler's graveyard.

Just following it through Cricinfo ball-by-baal update. I wonder if Younis Khan will go after the world record 400. It is destined for a draw anyway so why not have a shiot at it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2009 - 16:33
Ascendant187
Great to see Marcus North do well in his first innings for Australia. 117, I believe. Mitchell Johnson did very well for himself too - a real shame he missed out on scoring his maiden test hundred.

Unfortunately I've only been able to see highlights and read over the scorecard online but it seems to be a pretty good test match at the moment. I certainly didn't expect Australia to make over 400.
27.02.2009 - 17:18
Hellkommando
Written by Ascendant187 on 27.02.2009 at 16:33

Great to see Marcus North do well in his first innings for Australia. 117, I believe. Mitchell Johnson did very well for himself too - a real shame he missed out on scoring his maiden test hundred.

Unfortunately I've only been able to see highlights and read over the scorecard online but it seems to be a pretty good test match at the moment. I certainly didn't expect Australia to make over 400.

Am watching it now, pretty good game. North played really well, played a mature knock and Johnson was killing it. The Saffers are in trouble at the moment though.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
28.02.2009 - 15:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Interesting match it is turning out to be. I didn't expect Australia to perform the way they did (both batting and bowling). Great allround performance by Johnson up to now 96* (shame for missing out on the century) and 4 for 25.
And of course a greta mature debut by North.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 06:57
Ascendant187
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2009 at 15:38

Interesting match it is turning out to be. I didn't expect Australia to perform the way they did (both batting and bowling). Great allround performance by Johnson up to now 96* (shame for missing out on the century) and 4 for 25.
And of course a greta mature debut by North.

Yeah, I was very surprised when I checked the online scorecard.

Siddle took a bit of a lashing but picked up three wickets in the process and Johnson is certainly doing more than his fare share, proving to be a perfect replacement as the Australian pace spearhead (if not better than Lee ever was). I'm very happy for North, being a West Aussie and all.

We could actually win this test, provided nothing diabolical happens.