Metal Storm logo
My Favourite Metal Albums

I excluded some of my favourite albums that I don't accept as metal. While top 10 represents albums I listened to over the years, the rest of the list better represent where I stand today.

Created by: Aristarchos | 03.07.2012

1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Has a perfect balance between melody, complexity (without over-playing) and a dark atmosphere (without over-using keyboards).
2. Dio - Holy Diver
This is, along with "Seventh Son...", how I want heavy metal to sound. A good use of melodies, without being too catchy. This album is often mentioned as the closest to a definition of heavy metal you could find.
3. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II
I'm very tired of all their clones, but this record is still great. It has so great melodies. You won't find any power metal album close as good as this.
4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
I prefer Iron Maiden's more progressive albums like this. Although the songs are very long I never get bored. Too few bands manage to do that.
5. In Flames - Clayman
The ultimate combination of melody and aggression. In Flames' most in-your-face album.
6. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Although I prefer their more progressive works it's hard to resist this album.
7. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Thrash is not one of my favourite genres, but Metallica do it with so much variation, mix their thrash with slower parts, and add great melodies, so it's impossible to resist.
8. Dream Theater - Images And Words
Perhaps unnecessary complex, but the melodies are so great.
9. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Iron Maiden's darkest, heaviest and most progressive album. This is how I want Maiden to sound.
10. Europe - Europe
I accept early Europe as heavy metal. Europe was the band that got me in to hard rock/metal, and I love Prisoners In Paradise even more, but I don't count that one as metal. This record has had a big impact on power metal. Europe is really masters on writing memorable melodies.
11. In Flames - Reroute To Remain
Although more commercial, it's hard to resist the melodies. I find this one their most innovative. Probably the latest album I have liked because it's modern sound.
12. The Crown - Eternal Death
Death metal with great melodies, without being too melodic and without sounding Gothenburg. Creates a dark atmosphere without any use of keyboards.
13. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica's most progressive album. Great songs.
14. Behemoth - Sventevith (Storming Near The Baltic)
This album defines black metal for me, although it isn't considered as one of the true classics. What bother me most with most black metal albums is that all of the songs often sounds too similar. On this album you find more variation, and it has some element from most of the black metal sub-genre. It is quite brutal, but also quite melodic, it has some semi-symphonic elements, an accoustic interlude, a dark atmosphere, and also some almost ambient stuff.
15. Pagan Altar - The Lords Of Hypocrisy
A heavy/doom metal album that isn't too slow and has great melodies.
16. Sororicide - The Entity
Great underground icelandic mid-paced old-school death metal band.
17. Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
A great and too overlooked death/thrash album.
18. Behemoth - Grom
Another great black metal album by Behemoth, with som accoustics and female vocals.
19. Trouble - Psalm 9
The album that for me defines doom metal.
20. Lutomysl - Catharsis
Ukrainian black metal
21. Furia (POL) - Martwa Polska Jesień
Great overlooked black metal album. Quite melodic and complex for a black metal album.
22. Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Really catchy riffs, especially for a death metal band not consider melodeath. I also love the epic feeling over the album.
23. Cemetary - Godless Beauty
Depressive death metal with great songs and (not too catchy) melodies.
24. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
25. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
I strongly denounce his political view, but I can't deny the greatness in his music, especially ! love the atmosphere, although I find it too short.
26. Warning - Watching From A Distance
Slow doom with so much emotions, although I find it a little bit too monotone. But the fact that I despite that bring it on the list shows how great the songs are.
27. Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite
I love this early sound of Dream Theater. They really manage to mix in so great melodies in their complex music.
28. Pagan Altar - Volume 1
Classic NWOBHM/doom metal band.
29. Iron Maiden - The X Factor
I really love this darker side of Iron Maiden.
30. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
The start of metal as a genre.
31. At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
32. Viper - Theatre Of Fate
33. Saracen - Heroes, Saints & Fools
Brilliant and unique NWOBHM album.
34. Poison (GER) - Into The Abyss
35. Legend - Fröm The Fjörds
36. Sorcery (US) - Sinister Soldiers
37. Cemetary - An Evil Shade Of Grey
38. In Flames - Lunar Strain
39. Blaze Bayley - Silicon Messiah
Pure heavy metal as I want it.
40. Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Aristarchos ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 4   Visited by: 36 users
18.03.2013 - 18:40
Aristarchos

My favourite non-metal albums:
Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion 2
Europe - Prisoners In Paradise
Nirvana - Never Mind
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Kent - Verkligen
Rush - 2112
Queen - Queen
Kent - Isola
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself
Deep Purple - The House Of Blue Light
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Kent - Du & Jag Döden
Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll
Sex Pistols - Never Mind: Here's The Sex Pistols
Dia Psalma - Efter Allt
13.06.2015 - 22:53
saw_you_drown

Some wonderful and obscure gems on here...sororicide, cemetary, the real POISON(!!)...very nice!
----
In the water I saw you drown...
30.06.2015 - 15:37
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Nice mix of styles as well.
07.08.2015 - 14:14
Aristarchos

Written by saw_you_drown on 13.06.2015 at 22:53

Some wonderful and obscure gems on here...sororicide, cemetary, the real POISON(!!)...very nice!

Thanks! I'm glad someone more than me knows and loves all those bands.

Hits total: 2683 | This month: 6