Metal Storm logo
Power metal tips

19.12.2006 - 22:05
Roblar
Account deleted
I'm looking for bands that sound like Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Celesty or Heavenly. Yeah, I know that those bands sounds different but I want tips about bands that sound similar to any of those bands. I'm starting to get tired to always listening to the same bands so I need something new.
19.12.2006 - 22:36
danzig111
Account deleted
Sure man

bands comparable to Sonata Arctica:

-Stratovarius
-Concerto Moon
-Nightwish
-Warmen

bands comparable to Heavenly:

-Luca Turilli
-Fairyland
-Avantasia (you probably know of this band as it is side project of an Edguy member )

bands comparable to Celesty:

-Children Of Bodom
-Norther
-Steel Attack
-Cellador

bands comparable to Edguy:

- Freedom Call
- Gamma Ray
- Primal Fear
- Wizard

19.12.2006 - 22:57
Roblar
Account deleted
Thanks man, I have heard a couple of those bands, but Im gonna check out Cellador, Wizard and Concerto Moon right way!
20.12.2006 - 00:03
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I would add the following bands to danzig111's list (Norther similar to Celesty? It might be that I only have 'Reign of Elements' by the latter, but... oh well):

Vanishing Point - a very interesting Australian band which has released two Power/Prog masterpieces, "Tangled in Dream" and "Embrace the Silence". I'm not that fond of "In Thought" though. They rely a lot on keyboards, but have quite a mature Kamelot-ish sound (which I recommend you as well) and their Prog part makes them more varied and overall interesting.

Altaria - They are full of clichés (including the fact that they are Finns!) and they suck live (damn those lazy bassplayer and drummer), but perhaps this is the sound you are searching for - from your list, they are closer to Celesty than anything else. Their best release is "Divinity" (2004) without a doubt, although newer "The Fallen Empire" is neat as well. I'm totally addicted to Never Again, which happens to be my favourite song by this band.

Dark Moor - I don't only add them because they are Spanish but because of the deep evolution in their sound: having released a forgettable debut album ("Shadowland") and two great albums with both female (Elisa) and male (Albert) vocals, they radically changed their line-up, of which most (including Elisa) departed to found Dreamaker. Nevertheless, my favourite album by them, self-titled "Dark Moor", was released afterwards. More recently, "Beyond the Sea" shows more maturity in instrumentation (they were one of the first Symphonic Power Metal bands along with e.g. Rhapsody Of Fire or Nightwish) and harmony. Their next album, "Tarot", is announced for 2007.
20.12.2006 - 00:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Roblar - Danzig111 give you a lot of and well if taksekte mention Arwen and Red Wine and I sugets you read my post in all power metal treads I think Lupas open one, and there wa sone ''Sugest Me Good Power Metal'' and ''Sugest Me French Power Metal'' there are a lot of good info but try Salamandra http://www.salamandra.cz/ good album are ''Great Moravian Elegies'' wery good man, ist so alive, so emotinal and same time its amazing and also german band Black Abyss be like EdGuy http://www.black-abyss.de/
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2006 - 01:08
danzig111
Account deleted
No problem man

here are some videos:

Cellador - "Leaving All Behind" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7hr-Ky8tg

Wizard - "Betrayer" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qB4b-o7ISM
20.12.2006 - 01:13
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Bad English on 20.12.2006 at 00:23

well if taksekte mention Arwen and Red Wine

Arwen isn't bad, but Red Wine is too simple for my taste; there are better bands in Spain like Dark Moor, WarCry, Tierra Santa (although they suck live big time) or Opera Magna (a newcomer band which released my favourite Power Metal album of 2006, "El Último Caballero"). Too bad WarCry, Avalanch or Saratoga, three bands among our most well-known national Metal bands, don't play the style Roblar is looking for; they tend to be even categorized as Heavy Metal (especially Saratoga - which I consider pure and plain Heavy Metal while other people label them Power Metal).
20.12.2006 - 01:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Taktsekte on 20.12.2006 at 01:13

Written by Bad English on 20.12.2006 at 00:23

well if taksekte mention Arwen and Red Wine

Arwen isn't bad, but Red Wine is too simple for my taste; there are better bands in Spain like Dark Moor, WarCry, Tierra Santa (although they suck live big time) or Opera Magna (a newcomer band which released my favourite Power Metal album of 2006, "El Último Caballero"). Too bad WarCry, Avalanch or Saratoga, three bands among our most well-known national Metal bands, don't play the style Roblar is looking for; they tend to be even categorized as Heavy Metal (especially Saratoga - which I consider pure and plain Heavy Metal while other people label them Power Metal).

Jajajaja I know thsoe bands i dont wanna say I liek them and dont wanna say that i dont like but Its just for him(who opem it) and man Argentian has great Power Scene, but MP3 jajajaj nots o easy get exept Rata Blance
----

apos;'
[image]
20.12.2006 - 16:45
danzig111
Account deleted
Oh here is the guitarrist of Concerto Moon shredding his ass off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ0AH00YF9k
20.12.2006 - 16:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Dark Moor maybe? Took a while for me to like the female vocals, but they are pretty good.
----
21.12.2006 - 09:00
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Try these bands if you havent, quote me if you want to know furthur about any of them.

Freternia (Sweden)
Axenstar (Sweden)
Black Majesty (Australia)
Burning Point (Finland)
Dark Moor (Spain)
Forgotten Tales (Canada)
Galloglass (Germany)
Human Fortress (Germany)
Lost Horizon (Sweden)
The Storyteller (Sweden)
21.12.2006 - 20:03
danzig111
Account deleted
Oh yesss! as Dark Cornatus said, Lost Horizon!!! They are so fucking good! I just did not mention them because I didn't think they could be compared to the other bands.

But then again it's hard to compare them to most bands, they play Heavy/Power Metal but they actually have a Keyboard player and damn do those synths add a new dimesnion to the music! But what really hits th spot for me is the Vocalist, Daniel Heiman (well, EX-vocalist now ) ......He is incredible, he is my alltime favourite singer! Whenever he hits the high G note it gives me goosebumps . Not to mention the lyrical content
21.12.2006 - 22:54
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Dark Cornatus on 21.12.2006 at 09:00

Try these bands if you havent, quote me if you want to know furthur about any of them.

Freternia (Sweden)
Axenstar (Sweden)
Burning Point (Finland)
Dark Moor (Spain)
Forgotten Tales (Canada)
Galloglass (Germany)
Human Fortress (Germany)
Lost Horizon (Sweden)
The Storyteller (Sweden)

You're Australian, yet don't mention Vanishing Point? How come?

I'd like to know something about Fraternia. Never heard of them.
21.12.2006 - 23:07
Pierre Tombale
Elite
I don't know if it was mentioned, but you can try Saidian for "sounds like Edguy" http://www.saidian.info/
21.12.2006 - 23:10
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Taktsekte on 21.12.2006 at 22:54

Written by Dark Cornatus on 21.12.2006 at 09:00

Freternia (Sweden)
Axenstar (Sweden)
Burning Point (Finland)
Dark Moor (Spain)
Forgotten Tales (Canada)
Galloglass (Germany)
Human Fortress (Germany)
Lost Horizon (Sweden)
The Storyteller (Sweden)

You're Australian, yet don't mention Vanishing Point? How come?

I'd like to know something about Fraternia. Never heard of them.

Because VP are more Progressive than Power, and sound nothing like the bands he mentioned. Black Majesty fit way more though.

Freternia are pretty cool, ill explain later as i have to go now.
22.12.2006 - 00:38
Daru Jericho
I always thought Masterplan and Firewind were very refreshing. And Sabaton too.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.12.2006 - 04:57
danzig111
Account deleted
oh yes Masterplan, i forget about them!

Also, this band doesn't sound anything like the ones mentioned by Roblar, but check out Stormwarrior! They are a modern band playing German Speed Metal! I will create thread about them in a little bit. But seriously check them out!
22.12.2006 - 13:14
Roblar
Account deleted
Written by Pierre Tombale on 21.12.2006 at 23:05

I don't know if it was mentioned, but you can try Saidian for "sounds like Edguy" http://www.saidian.info/

yeah, a friend of mine told me to listen to them a while ago, and they're really good!
22.12.2006 - 13:16
Roblar
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 22:57

Thanks man, I have heard a couple of those bands, but Im gonna check out Cellador, Wizard and Concerto Moon right way!

I just got hold of a couple Cellador songs and damn they are really good actually!
22.12.2006 - 18:30
danzig111
Account deleted
@Roblar: lol yes who would have thought they were from Nebraska . The drumming is like Death metal also.

oh and as mentioned earlier, the band, The Storyteller.....i am hearing them for the first time and they are great here is their myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=73897716
22.12.2006 - 19:11
Roblar
Account deleted
@Danzig111: Im listening to The Storyteller right now, and you were right, they are great!;D
22.12.2006 - 20:41
danzig111
Account deleted

But their more metal songs in that myspace page I give you, would you consider it Power Metal? I mean I hear their first release and it is definately very cheesy power metal . But those songs from the latest one seem more.......Prog
23.12.2006 - 00:05
Roblar
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.12.2006 at 20:41

But their more metal songs in that myspace page I give you, would you consider it Power Metal? I mean I hear their first release and it is definately very cheesy power metal . But those songs from the latest one seem more.......Prog

Yeah, I noticed that too.. but it wasn't bad
23.12.2006 - 01:57
Bitch Boy
@ Roblar: I don't know if they've already mentioned Thy Majestie and Edenbridge, both excellent smyphonic bands. Thy Majestie is more epic, and Edenbridge is more prog, with female vocals.

Written by Guest on 21.12.2006 at 20:03

Oh yesss! as Dark Cornatus said, Lost Horizon!!! They are so fucking good! I just did not mention them because I didn't think they could be compared to the other bands.

But then again it's hard to compare them to most bands, they play Heavy/Power Metal but they actually have a Keyboard player and damn do those synths add a new dimesnion to the music! But what really hits th spot for me is the Vocalist, Daniel Heiman (well, EX-vocalist now ) ......He is incredible, he is my alltime favourite singer! Whenever he hits the high G note it gives me goosebumps . Not to mention the lyrical content

Lost Horizon is the best recommendation they've given in this thread, a very very powerful band, it's a shame that Daniel quit, I also consider him (one of) the best vocalists around. Just a question, why do you say they're "heavy"/power metal??

You also mentioned Masterplan, another great band
23.12.2006 - 02:09
danzig111
Account deleted
@Bitch Boy: I call Lost Horizon "Heavy/Power metal" because they are not pure Power Metal, They don't have that Sonata Arctica/Stratovarius/Avantasia sort of sound......Yes they have a keyboardist, but their music is much heavier, they are more closely related to Hammerfall/Dream Evil/Gamma Ray.
23.12.2006 - 02:47
Bitch Boy
@ Danzig: I got what you're talking about, I agree. But Sonata and Stratovarius are melo-power.
23.12.2006 - 03:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 23.12.2006 at 02:09

@Bitch Boy: I call Lost Horizon "Heavy/Power metal" because they are not pure Power Metal, They don't have that Sonata Arctica/Stratovarius/Avantasia sort of sound......Yes they have a keyboardist, but their music is much heavier, they are more closely related to Hammerfall/Dream Evil/Gamma Ray.

You wanna say that those finish power bands + Avantasia are closer to Hamerfall?
Man maybe early Statovarius(firts 3 albums) and leither th maybe even if ist melodic it was heavy, but Stratovarius after 1996 Its melodic, not heavy
----

apos;'
[image]
23.12.2006 - 04:18
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.12.2006 at 03:26

Written by Guest on 23.12.2006 at 02:09

You wanna say that those finish power bands + Avantasia are closer to Hamerfall?
Man maybe early Statovarius(firts 3 albums) and leither th maybe even if ist melodic it was heavy, but Stratovarius after 1996 Its melodic, not heavy

when did I ever say that they were related to HammerFall

I was talking about Lost Horizon dude. I answer Bitch Boy's question.
23.12.2006 - 04:32
Bitch Boy
@ K7: what Danzig was saying is that Lost Horizon is heavy/power metal, as Hammerfall, and that Lost Horizon doesn't sound as other power metal bands like Stratovarius, SA and Avantasia.
23.12.2006 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok I see sorry guys and Last Horiomn well etliest Hammerfall wont bored me how Last Horrizon
----

apos;'
[image]