Metal Storm logo
Power metal tips

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.12.2006 - 22:05
I'm looking for bands that sound like Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Celesty or Heavenly. Yeah, I know that those bands sounds different but I want tips about bands that sound similar to any of those bands. I'm starting to get tired to always listening to the same bands so I need something new.
23.12.2006 - 16:22
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.12.2006 at 13:49

Ok I see sorry guys and Last Horiomn well etliest Hammerfall wont bored me how Last Horrizon

Well with Lost Horizon, Daniel Heiman (Vocals) was more the driving force, his vocals and lyrics was what does it for me with that band. The music can be just a tad boring at times.....Still one of my favourites though
24.12.2006 - 01:40
necrovamp
hm i ve just listend to a band called firewind, thier pretty cool, or you could try grand maugus, thier pretty good, or cellador, they sound very regonisable, Youre right Danzig111 lost horizon are a little boring but they are still pretty good
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
28.12.2006 - 03:49
danzig111
Account deleted
Yes, and I will always love Lost Horizon! The lyrics are so inspiring and compelling! and the voice is orgasmic . They should just quit the band now! Seriously, no one can match Daniel or take his place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStDQd23qrk
29.12.2006 - 00:29
Bitch Boy
@ danzig111: I sometimes think the same: they should split up, but all of them are talented and that would be a waste. Maybe they should look for the right guy to make the vocals.
29.12.2006 - 02:43
danzig111
Account deleted
@Bitch Boy: Find the right guy, lol, easier said than done, i mean, WHO? Who else can sing while sounding deep manly and go all high pitched from out of nowhere? There is Eric Adams from Manowar, but HIS screams are more 'exaggerated' and aren't as 'convincing' .....Heiman was able to hit a fucking High G so smoothly which is not easy!

and when I first heard this band, i no like them, because the musical part of them is an aquired taste as they are HEAVY/Power Metal with a KEYBOARDIST. Daniel always impressed me from the start though.
29.12.2006 - 09:36
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 22:36

bands comparable to Celesty:

-Children Of Bodom
-Norther
-Steel Attack
-Cellador

Are you kidding? I've been enjoying the latest Celesty and Cellador albums lately and see no similarities (Cellador uses no keyboards and plays fast, classic style PM). Even worse with CoB and Norther. They play (vocals aside) a fast, aggressive, "extreme" power metal while Celesty is lost DEEP in the land of keyboards, symphonics, and sing-along choruses. I would much sooner relate them to really symphonic bands like Thy Majestie, Fairyland, Nightwish, etc (although Celesty being not anywhere near as good as these).
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
29.12.2006 - 21:32
danzig111
Account deleted
@Lyrinan, suit yourself then . I haven't heard many many albums by Celesty anyway.
29.12.2006 - 23:16
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
anybody have mentioned ensiferum?? they kick asses!!!!!!!!! i recommend the first 2 albums, the 3rd (dragonheads) is amazing too but i prefer the others!!!

I also prefer Magic kingdom and majestic Vanguard, power metal with good sound!!!!!
30.12.2006 - 00:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Vinnie R. on 29.12.2006 at 23:16

anybody have mentioned ensiferum?? they kick asses!!!!!!!!! i recommend the first 2 albums, the 3rd (dragonheads) is amazing too but i prefer the others!!!

I wouldn't call that Power metal
----
30.12.2006 - 00:15
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Ensiferum does have a little bit of power metal in their music. I don't really know what genre they rightly fit into. I'm not going to call them viking metal, because I don't want to get into a fight with someone that says that the genre doesn't exist (believe me, there are a lot of people that think this way).
30.12.2006 - 05:30
danzig111
Account deleted
dude Folk and Viking Metal does exist! and Ensiferum belong to that genre NOT Power Metal! they are still good band though
30.12.2006 - 21:29
Bitch Boy
Sorry for the off-topic, but I also think that viking is only a sub-genre for folk, "viking folk" like for example "celtic folk" or "epic folk". By the way, I also think that Ensiferum isn't power metal.
31.12.2006 - 03:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitch Boy on 30.12.2006 at 21:29

Sorry for the off-topic, but I also think that viking is only a sub-genre for folk, "viking folk" like for example "celtic folk" or "epic folk". By the way, I also think that Ensiferum isn't power metal.

Yes and no because Amon Amarth it sound smoe how Melo Death so it cant be fold, and same time Viking can be folk but extreame folk, and moust extreame bands use Celtic/Black Metal and epic folk tell bands etleist fiew
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2006 - 03:43
Bitch Boy
@ K7: I remain the same, obviously they're not pure folk, but viking metal is viking-folk metal, as they use "instrumentation" from vikings' folklore. As you say, it may be extreme-folk in some cases.
01.01.2007 - 08:16
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.12.2006 at 02:09

@Bitch Boy: I call Lost Horizon "Heavy/Power metal" because they are not pure Power Metal, They don't have that Sonata Arctica/Stratovarius/Avantasia sort of sound......Yes they have a keyboardist, but their music is much heavier, they are more closely related to Hammerfall/Dream Evil/Gamma Ray.

Thats not correct. Lost Horizon is plain Melodic Power Metal. Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius are Symphonic Power Metal, Avantasia are a little different, kind of have various songs.
I dont see what Hammerfall, Dream Evil and Gamma Ray have to do with Heavy Metal, well, Dream Evil a little. They are a simialr style to Lost Horizon i agre, but not enough Heavy Metal to include it. Heavy / Power Metal is Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Helstar, Manilla Road, Cryonic Temple, Pegazus for example.
01.01.2007 - 23:24
Bitch Boy
@ Dark Cornatus: so the heavy/power metal is the same as US power metal??

I agree with you that Stratovarius and Sonata are symphonic power, but they are melo too. Lost Horizon isn't that melodic I think, only if compared to extreme power (ETOS, CoB...)
02.01.2007 - 15:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Bitch Boy I see and I understand

You alls hod try band from Bosnia and Hercogovina Sybolic its realy melodic power metal sometimes
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2007 - 21:32
danzig111
Account deleted
i wonder why Dark Cornatus' message didn't come up as a notification

but anyway, Lost Horizon are not melodic-PM, listen to how heavy they are! the singer has the same singing style as Eric from Manowar almost!

02.01.2007 - 21:54
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
These days symphonic power metal is really dominating the market. Most power metal we hear is of the Finnish variety, lots of keyboards, etc. This makes most people think that if they don't sound like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius then they aren't power metal. This is not true! Remember the roots of power metal: no keyboards Look to bands like Blind Guardian and Helloween for the original power metal sound!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.01.2007 - 04:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 02.01.2007 at 21:54

T Remember the roots of power metal: no keyboards Look to bands like Blind Guardian and Helloween for the original power metal sound!

Well I dont agree about Blind Guardian, specely first 2 albums its speed metal, fats , fts sometimes I think I hear only drums there and thay sounds simmilar how Risk.
Dunno how born power metal, but even Stratovarius wanst so melodic in 80ties thay was like Tarot

But its hard to say witch band sin 80ties was power, witch speed and witch heavy but I never will agree Tarot, Acid, Scorpions, Abbatoir, Risk, X-Wild, Rage, ................ + are power its heavy but yes you wa swright in 80ties a sband who wa spower and mheav/power like Manowar, even Stratovarius ok ask hellish Star he will explain more about US/Power scene
IMO there are German, USA and Scandig werse about 80ties metal + other parts of world
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2007 - 01:37
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 21:32

i wonder why Dark Cornatus' message didn't come up as a notification

but anyway, Lost Horizon are not melodic-PM, listen to how heavy they are! the singer has the same singing style as Eric from Manowar almost!

They are not really that heavy though, they certainly are not very fast compared to other PM bands, the keyboards blend the melody together along with the vocals. Daniel and Eric? I dont see how they relate enough to call them similar.

Its pretty useless discussing this though, everyone has different viewpoints. Either way, LH rules!
04.01.2007 - 03:40
Bitch Boy
Written by Dark Cornatus on 04.01.2007 at 01:37

Either way, LH rules!

I think that most of us, in this discussion, agree with that
08.01.2007 - 20:01
Roblar
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 04.01.2007 at 03:40

Written by Dark Cornatus on 04.01.2007 at 01:37

Either way, LH rules!

I think that most of us, in this discussion, agree with that

That I belive aswell^^
09.01.2007 - 20:10
Daru Jericho
I'm too lazy to check the first page but I recommend Masterplan. Jorn Lande was an excellent vocalist for this band. They have two albums and both are great.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.01.2007 - 21:04
Larsson!
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 09.01.2007 at 20:10

I'm too lazy to check the first page but I recommend Masterplan. Jorn Lande was an excellent vocalist for this band. They have two albums and both are great.

Yeah, Masterplan is a great band! and Jorn is a good singer. And I already own both there albums
10.01.2007 - 12:01
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
As Daru Jericho I'm to lazy too. I'll recommend Galloglass. Their music is great and haven't got to much keyboards if any
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.01.2007 - 19:34
Bitch Boy
I join the lazy club I was listening to Mob Rules just right now, is a very very talented band, I recommend them too.
10.01.2007 - 22:30
Larsson!
Account deleted
Are everyone lazy haha

Galloglass sounds like a band worth checking out so im gonna do that.
Mob Rules is pretty good aswell, have heard a couple of their songs and yeah, they are very talented!
12.06.2007 - 02:22
DarkMistress
i think Freedom Call has some nice stuff, also Edguy might be a pretty nice option for PW
----
Wait in fire
12.06.2007 - 02:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
I was too lazy to read every post, so Dream Evil would be very good choice, Lost Horizon too. Wuthering Heights is also pretty good, my favorites Dying Fire, Cellador is little different but you should like it lol. Maybe Morgana LaFey, Leatherwolf or 6 Inches Of Blood... all of them ar little bit different... and ofcause some older bands like Rage, Grim Reaper, Stratovarius, Grave Digger, Force Of Evil, Running Wild...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!