Metal Storm logo
Power metal tips

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.12.2006 - 22:05
I'm looking for bands that sound like Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Celesty or Heavenly. Yeah, I know that those bands sounds different but I want tips about bands that sound similar to any of those bands. I'm starting to get tired to always listening to the same bands so I need something new.
12.06.2007 - 08:46
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Elvenking....if you like some fine olde folk power....They have marvellous albums...for example try Wyrd....it's excellent...and power elements are very well displayed there.......
12.06.2007 - 09:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 12.06.2007 at 08:46

try Wyrd....it's excellent...and power elements are very well displayed there.......

You jokeing wright
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.06.2007 - 10:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2007 at 09:58

try Wyrd....it's excellent...and power elements are very well displayed there.......

You jokeing wright

I hope he is, for I don't hear any power metal in Wyrd at all. Not even on The Ghost Album whihc is of course a total Paradise Lost rip-off, btu then again Paradise Lost also have no power metal in them at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2007 - 10:20
Cruxis
Account deleted
Altaria (Jani Liimitainen from Sonata used to be in this band), Axenstar, Dark Moor, Lost Horizon
12.06.2007 - 10:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.06.2007 at 10:01

You jokeing wright

I hope he is, for I don't hear any power metal in Wyrd at all. Not even on The Ghost Album whihc is of course a total Paradise Lost rip-off, btu then again Paradise Lost also have no power metal in them at all.

I know its BM whit influencies and something something simmilar like -Darkwoods My Betrothed, Windir, Mystic Foest such type of BM, but power metal BM and Power metal it dont goes together
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2007 - 11:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Evergrey, Wintersun and Symphony X aren't 100 % Power Metal, but they all have Power Metal influences in their music.
----
12.06.2007 - 17:59
.EndotroniX
Account deleted
I'll mention some bands no one has yet...

Chinchilla, Twilightning, Dionysus, Cryonic Temple, Tarot, Brainstorm
Similar to Celesty and SA: Aquaria, Axenstar, At Vance, Domine, Dreamtale, Power Quest, Silent Force, Thunderstone, Zonata, Dragonland, Fairyland, Galloglass, Logar's Diary, Magica, Secret Sphere
12.06.2007 - 18:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.06.2007 at 17:59

I'll mention some bands no one has yet...

Chinchilla, Twilightning, Dionysus, Cryonic Temple, Tarot, Brainstorm
Similar to Celesty and SA: Aquaria, Axenstar, At Vance, Domine, Dreamtale, Power Quest, Silent Force, Thunderstone, Zonata, Dragonland, Fairyland, Galloglass, Logar's Diary, Magica, Secret Sphere

Whitch Tarot Tarot from fihnland then its pure heavy metal mand dont mix 80ties power/heavy metal whit nowdays

I sugets you Memento Mori banmd whit messiah Marcolin on vovals its power doom
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2007 - 22:30
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2007 at 10:37

You jokeing wright

I know its BM whit influencies and something something simmilar like -Darkwoods My Betrothed, Windir, Mystic Foest such type of BM, but power metal BM and Power metal it dont goes together

To those who don't know...Elvenking...a folk POWER metal group has an album called "Wyrd"....sorry....I forgot to surround the album title with goose legs "".....here they are now....

"Wyrd".......
12.06.2007 - 22:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 12.06.2007 at 22:30

Written by Bad English on 12.06.2007 at 10:37

You jokeing wright

To those who don't know...Elvenking...a folk POWER metal group has an album called "Wyrd"....sorry....I forgot to surround the album title with goose legs "".....here they are now....

"Wyrd".......

I know about Elvenking its whit power elements but There are also band from Finland who calls Wyrd
MA link
home page
there are mp3 too
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2007 - 22:41
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
K7....I may be a retard....but I amn't that retard....I am very well aware that a black metal act who bears the name Wyrd exists....
12.06.2007 - 23:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 12.06.2007 at 22:41

K7....I may be a retard....but I amn't that retard....I am very well aware that a black metal act who bears the name Wyrd exists....

Haha maybe you know but others dont know and thay be new album out
----

apos;'
[image]
13.06.2007 - 00:25
APOHAKC
The Bard
I'd like to add fantastic heavy metal/power metal bads Sabaton and Thunderbolt. awesome. Astral Doors too
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
13.06.2007 - 03:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Not exactly unknown but Primal Fear is pretty good heavy/power metal. I find there not exactly as epic as most power metal bands but there still pretty awesome.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.06.2007 - 15:53
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
@Mods: If you feel that this band deserves a separate thread, just tell me so.

I have a new suggestion: Genius: A Rock Opera.

Official website: http://www.geniusrockopera.com/

This is a project run by Italian multi-instrumentalist Daniele Liverani, who has released three concept albums with the help of some Metal vocalists known worldwide. They mix Rhapsody Of Fire-like Symphonic film score music with operetic and Power Metal vocals (much in the vein of Ania and Tobias Sammet's Avantasia), and lots of Progressive Metal resources and Dream Theater-ish sounds (especially in the keyboards). To my ears, they sound "proggier" than Gamma Ray or Rhapsody Of Fire, but less Power Metal than them.

These three albums (the last of which has been released in 2007 and will be probably running for the next Metal Storm awards, or at least I hope so) form a story called "A Rock Opera". Metal authorities that have collaborated in Genius: A Rock Opera include:

Episode 1: A Human Into Dreams' World (2002)

Oliver Hartmann (At Vance, Avantasia)
Lana Lane
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain Of Salvation)
Steve Walsh (Kansas)

Episode 2: In Search of the Little Prince (2004)

Russell Allen (Symphony X)
Liv Kristine Espenæs (Leaves Eyes, Theatre Of Tragedy)
Daniel Gildenlow

Episode 3: The Final Surprise (2007)

Andrea Dätwyler (Lunatica)
Jørn Lande (Jorn, Masterplan, Ark)
DC Cooper (Royal Hunt, Silent Force)

You can read the story behind the trilogy described by Daniele Liverani himself here.

Discuss.
14.06.2007 - 23:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
hm...it seems interesting and their background music on their pages looks nice too :-) but i need at least one whole song to decide about a band and somehow i can't find any at any of my sources...any help? :-(
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.09.2007 - 01:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
wow...now i listen to Avantasia's Metal Opera and it is awesome power metal
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.09.2007 - 04:00
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Warman on 12.06.2007 at 11:03

Evergrey, Wintersun and Symphony X aren't 100 % Power Metal, but they all have Power Metal influences in their music.

I think evergrey's music itself IS power metal with very few prog elements, but what make then somewhat far from being actual power metal are the lyrics
----
03.04.2008 - 19:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Falconer, unique sound and an amazing vocalist.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.11.2009 - 21:17
Shipwrecked
Dream Evil, Theocracy, and Firewind.
14.11.2009 - 00:10
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I would recommend Sabaton
14.11.2009 - 03:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Symphony X is pushing it a little...even so, I think they have enough power metal elements in their sound that most fans of the genre would like em'.

I would recommend these power metal bands to anyone interested in getting into the genre.

Helloween (practically invented the genre, so I have to mention them!)
Gamma Ray
Primal Fear
Blind Guardian
Stratovarius
Angra
Nightmare (The French band, not the Japanese one!)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth (This is also pushing it a little, but a lot of people consider them power metal, which they maybe are, but they have some heavier elements to their sound)
Masterplan
Nocturnal Rites
Heavenly
Brainstorm
Rage
14.11.2009 - 15:34
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
If you don't mind non-English lyrics then I'll recommend the French band Manigance. I find them really good.

Another option would be a disbanded Swedish band called Zonata. Lyrics are in English and they've made what has to be the most cheesy song of all: Gate Of Fear and Thor The Thundergod. Their other material is good though.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
14.11.2009 - 21:23
Hellish Star
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2009 at 03:17

Iced Earth (This is also pushing it a little, but a lot of people consider them power metal, which they maybe are, but they have some heavier elements to their sound)

That's why they are US Power Metal, at least their old records.... In the old days they were similar to bands like Helstar, Sanctuary, Liege Lord, Deadly Blessing,.... which are of course bands that I want to advice....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.11.2009 - 23:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hellish Star on 14.11.2009 at 21:23
That's why they are US Power Metal, at least their old records.... In the old days they were similar to bands like Helstar, Sanctuary, Liege Lord, Deadly Blessing,.... which are of course bands that I want to advice....

You are right, US power metal is quite different from it's European equivelant. The EU power metal is melodic speed metal, The US is in a lot of ways, melodic thrash metal. Out of the bands you've also mentioned, Helstar is the only one I've heard, and I would definitely recommend them too, they are great! Another US power metal band that needs to be checked out are Vicious Rumors.

Symphony X are like a mix of the US and European power metal, with prog thrown in there as well.
14.11.2009 - 23:53
Hellish Star
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2009 at 23:01

You are right, US power metal is quite different from it's European equivelant. The EU power metal is melodic speed metal, The US is in a lot of ways, melodic thrash metal. Out of the bands you've also mentioned, Helstar is the only one I've heard, and I would definitely recommend them too, they are great! Another US power metal band that needs to be checked out are Vicious Rumors.

Symphony X are like a mix of the US and European power metal, with prog thrown in there as well.

You got it girl! Try the other bands out and if you like them I have plenty of more tips for you... Check the US Metal thread anyway....

Mentioning you're from the UK; try SHADOWKEEP, a superb band from your country!!!!!

About Vicious Rumors; will see them again next monday in Antwerp....
----

15.11.2009 - 00:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hellish Star on 14.11.2009 at 23:53
You got it girl! Try the other bands out and if you like them I have plenty of more tips for you... Check the US Metal thread anyway....

Mentioning you're from the UK; try SHADOWKEEP, a superb band from your country!!!!!

I will check them out thanks! Although I've never heard Liege Lord, I think they once had Joe Comeau in the band. Who I of course know from Overkill and Annihilator. As for Shadowkeep, I know them, and yep they are very good. Quite proggy as well...

Oh, speaking of Helstar, James Rivera has one of the best metal voices there is, he is awesome!
15.11.2009 - 05:01
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Hellish Star on 14.11.2009 at 23:53

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2009 at 23:01

Oh yeah both Helstar and Shadowkeep are great bands. I'll never forget that you introduced me to Helstar
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.11.2009 - 13:21
Hellish Star
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2009 at 00:49

I will check them out thanks! Although I've never heard Liege Lord, I think they once had Joe Comeau in the band. Who I of course know from Overkill and Annihilator. As for Shadowkeep, I know them, and yep they are very good. Quite proggy as well...

Oh, speaking of Helstar, James Rivera has one of the best metal voices there is, he is awesome!

James is GOD
----

15.11.2009 - 13:30
Charly546
Another nice band to check out from USPM is Jag Panzer. Their debut album "Ample Destruction" is incredible. Kinda like some heavier NWOBHM bands, such as Blitzkrieg, a dash of Diamond Head and also add "Feel the Fire" into the equation and you'll get a faint idea of how that album sounds. And if you thought that James Riviera was good - well, you haven't heard Harry Conklin yet.

Then Griffin's debut "Flight of the Griffin" is worth checking out too. Mike "Yaz" Jastremski (is also on Heathen's "Breaking the Silence" as bassist) is one guitarist on this album. Lots of great riffs, solos, some epic moments and some stuff bordering on Overkill.

Tyrant is the absolute master of epic stuff. "Too Late To Pray" and "Legions of the Dead" will crush you. (Think "300", the movie, poured into music).

And above all else, Crimson Glory's first 2 albums and Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken the Guardian" are absolute masterpieces of USPM. It isn't possible to describe exactly how they sound in under 500 words.