Metal Storm logo
Anathema

20.05.2006 - 00:06
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
20.05.2006 - 03:55
Avenant
Profane Seraph
I'm an avid fan of Anathema. I like their change in style even though it's so drastic because I think they're truly unique and that's always a good thing. The music is relaxing... but depressing. Funny that so often the lyrics seem to relate to me, even when I'm in a good mood... I have not yet heard their newest material but I'm waiting for it with bated breath... it's my favorite band where a new album is long overdue!
20.05.2006 - 21:13
Nickwillnotbe
I am also a huge fan of Anathema. They rank right up there with Katatonia, my favorite band. There is just something powerful in all the music they put out. They create the perfect atmosphere for each and everysong. My favorite CD by Anathema would probably be Eternity, but Judgement and The Silent Enigma are pretty close behind it. I really like their atmospheric rock material. Even though it is a lot different from their older stuff, it still has that nice Anathema feel. Unfortunately, I don't like the new track they have released. I am HOPING that the rest of the album doesn't sound the same. I imagine I'll pick it up anyway though.
21.05.2006 - 02:58
Devolution
I heared today a new song by Anathema i tried to have it but i couldn't ( some tech problems ) and i forgot to ask what it is name but it's so great with the female vocal it is just like a fine day to exit

Great band i love it so much i don't like the oldies very much i love thier new style .......... Hail Anathema
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
22.05.2006 - 15:51
#~|CoP Return|~#
Account deleted
If you guys like anathema as I do too , you should give them something or buy their albums because they really lack of money and that would be a shame to see a band like them disapear...

In their concerts they insist that they are in trouble to record some new stuffs because of the money so please people help this awesome band to survive...
27.05.2006 - 19:39
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 15:51

If you guys like anathema as I do too , you should give them something or buy their albums because they really lack of money and that would be a shame to see a band like them disapear...

In their concerts they insist that they are in trouble to record some new stuffs because of the money so please people help this awesome band to survive...

Yep, I remember some posts by Jeff about this problem I definitely agree with you
----
27.05.2006 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Anathema WAS great death/doom metal band from UK an dI realy use to live them and still love till 1995
My fav realises are:
An Illiad of Woes
All Faith is Lost
Crestfallen
They Die
Serenade
We are the Bible
Pentecost III

I got them all, not original but dounloud versions, but I want get original somewhere, but I hawnt seen old Anathema CS's here in stores ;9

Well Specely Grafalen, EP are great and amazing all songs specely "Everwake"
I like softly music too
And this arabina girl in album cover :naughty" If I was in begining og 90tis lil older I know what use to be my dream, and still are
From "Serrenades" I like un this kind order
Dreaming: The Romance
Lovelorn Rhapsody
Sleep In Sanity
Under A Veil (Of Black Lace)

Specely lyrics of early Anathema are great, but after 1995 thay dont exist for me

Seems from old great death/doom metal bands from that time left only My Dying Bride
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.06.2006 - 23:03
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about this band...
Anyone planning to see them live in Tuska?? (sadly I won't, Tuska is a bit far)
Anyone waiting impatiently for tomorrow to buy their DVD?? (actually, I won't either... But I'm raising funds )
Anyone wanting to say anything??
----
19.06.2006 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If you talk about Tuskla, its prity close from me but Im to poor to go there and I dunno if I want go there, you know sleepig in tent in finlnd prity cold and no booze
but if thay play old good songs maybe, but stiill I cant pay for ticket to Finland and by ticket for Tuska, only in my freams

And this is not only sleeping tread there are my tread about czceh and Arakain, go post ther people
----

apos;'
[image]
19.06.2006 - 05:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I love all their albums up to "Judgement", their new atmospheric rock means nothing for me...

My first contact with the band was when a good friend game me a tape of Judgement back in the years... I was very amazed, it was the first Doom Metal album I ever heard and was really impressed with that suble and highly emotional music... the first three songs of that disc are just outstanding, a simple but so strong feeling and well... a melodic game that is just beautiful...

The I got into their first stuff... I still think Serenades is one of the best Death/Doom albums, specially by the song "Sleepless"... it's so strong yet simple, you can smell misery and despair.

If I had to give my current list of favourite Anathema albums, it would be the following:

1) Eternity
2) Judgement
3) Serenades
19.06.2006 - 18:11
Nathan Lurker
As soon as I have the money I'll buy their new DVD. Seems like a good setlist and I'm into anything Anathema release actually. It's a bit sad that they don'T come in Canada. They were supposed to release a new song after everything... I can't wait.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
19.06.2006 - 19:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno how I get into Anathema, but i think i hear name Anathema, and try find it, then discovere www.doom-metal.com , and then listen sample and I get intomit, I discovere almoust all doom metal bands before 4 years, when my school mate intruduse into doom, but I know name doom long ago, ebacsue I read something, but I didnt know abouth death/doom.
----

apos;'
[image]
21.06.2006 - 18:41
Sage
Account deleted
I think every album of Anathema is good. Don't like the song everything though. Has some good parts...
Nevertheless i'm curious about theri next album.
23.06.2006 - 14:33
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Sheesh, I can't believe there's not more talk about this band. How unfortunate. They're brilliant!

Perhaps I'm an oddity but I have to say that I definitely enjoy their newer music better than the old. Although I like it as well, I absolutely love the direction they've taken as of late. A Natural Disaster is probably one of my most-listened albums. And Judgement, well. It's pure genius. That album has made me break down in tears a few times.

I'm really excited about the new one, also. "Everything" is quite different from the other stuff.
23.06.2006 - 18:41
Daibh
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.06.2006 at 14:33

Perhaps I'm an oddity but I have to say that I definitely enjoy their newer music better than the old.

We're both oddities dear.

And as you say; the old music is wonderful - - its just not as imaginative and as expansive as their newer, more honed sound.
23.06.2006 - 18:58
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I prefer their newer music to the old stuff. I just don't like the extremely depressive atmosphere on their old stuff with the screams and so on.

A Natural Disaster is a great album, in contrary to A Fine Day To Exit. The only song on AFDTE that I really love is Temporary Peace.
"Everything" is quite different from A Natural Disaster, though I hear some similarities. I hope the rest of the songs on their upcoming album will be better than "Everything" though, because it's not as brilliant as A Natural Disaster.
23.06.2006 - 19:01
Nathan Lurker
I like their newer stuff more than the earlier stuff too. A Natural Disaster is such a great album. It is my favourite album of Anathema, and Judgment is second favourite.

Everything is quite different but It's not completely out of what Anathema usually do. I don't think they will sound like that on all of their newr tracks but I think they will continue to have thoses sort of positive tracks. I CAN'T WAIT for the next songs they'll release online.
----

23.06.2006 - 21:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
can't wait to have that cd in my hands...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.06.2006 - 00:54
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Danny Cavanagh acoustic tour

Danny Cavanagh will be touring finland and the baltics presenting acoustic and piano versions of old and new anathema songs. support comes from his acoustic celtic project 'leafblade'.
The dates are as follows :

BALTIC DATES

3 August - Liepaja (Latvia) Fontain Palace
4 August - Vilnius (Lithiuania) Skliautu galerija
5 August - Riga (Latvia) Melna Piektdiena
6 August - Tallinn (Estonia) Rock Stars

FINLAND DATES with LEAFBLADE:

9 August - Turku (Dynamo Club)
10 August - Helsinki (Semifinaali Club)
11 August - Tampere (Vastavirta Club)
12 August - Jyvaskyla (Bar 68) with Silentium
13 August - Kuopio (Henrys Pub)

"Leafblade" project sounds interesting, I should dig deeper...
Anyway a tour based on acoustic versions of Anathema's songs also looks interesting, and with some of their songs it can turn truly beautiful!!
----
26.06.2006 - 01:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sekhmet on 26.06.2006 at 00:54

Danny Cavanagh acoustic tour

Danny Cavanagh will be touring finland and the baltics presenting acoustic and piano versions of old and new anathema songs. support comes from his acoustic celtic project 'leafblade'.
The dates are as follows :

BALTIC DATES

3 August - Liepaja (Latvia) Fontain Palace
5 August - Riga (Latvia) Melna Piektdiena

WTF its true are just joke realy, :wall sad I just love to go but I wont be in Latvia
Riga is close but liepaja ehh money and way

Maybe I shood not wisit my motrher but go to show

"Leafblade" project sounds interesting, I should dig deeper...
Anyway a tour based on acoustic versions of Anathema's songs also looks interesting, and with some of their songs it can turn truly beautiful!!
----

apos;'
[image]
26.06.2006 - 01:14
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I hope it's true because I've read it on their official website. But I forgot to state the source in my post
Now, here it is http://www.anathema.ws/

Sorry for you K7, I was precisely thinking of you when I've read the dates in Latvia. Well, maybe you'll be back in time!
----
26.06.2006 - 01:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sekhmet on 26.06.2006 at 01:14

I hope it's true because I've read it on their official website. But I forgot to state the source in my post

Sorry for you K7, I was precisely thinking of you when I've read the dates in Latvia. Well, maybe you'll be back in time!

I dunno, i think i be home in end of it I must make some money for school, my mother pay hlf and I must lil' bit work, its how explain, latvia is no in metal map, no big bands, but this, im so unlucky, but hope i see Saxon next year

But just now im so mentaly sick of Rig and rea that I just want go away for whyle

Rig are 90kn from my home 1 hour nd half by train or bus and Im there, but Liepaja alwas windy and sea, to cold from me but my mother has friend there, so np whit syaing, but still I dont like there

But maybe I see Cryptopsy in Oulu

But if you come, maybe i come earlyer home and we coud go together, but take some good wine and Cognac
----

apos;'
[image]
26.06.2006 - 04:02
samael06
Account deleted
Being a doomaniac, I really like their early stuff. That's not to say that I don't like their later stuff. Because I do. It's just that it took me a while to get used to the new sound. But once I did things were kopacetic. I still yearn for the old stuff though.

26.06.2006 - 05:46
Sulfur91
Account deleted
I love all the songs from Alternative 4. The rest is ok too.. I hope to see them live sometime... Though I don't see that happening anytime soon.
26.06.2006 - 14:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Dude, you live in USA. They don't come there?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2006 - 15:29
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Bad English on 26.06.2006 at 01:23

Written by Sekhmet on 26.06.2006 at 01:14

But if you come, maybe i come earlyer home and we coud go together, but take some good wine and Cognac

Would be great but I'm afraid I won't be coming; a bit too far and I don't have any decent wine in stock

@Sulfur & Nervel : They haven't anything sheduled in the USA for this year, but they've planned a South America tour. So maybe when this tour is over they'll play in North America as well... And maybe not :
----
26.06.2006 - 20:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Sekhmet I know its far, seems faster I go to France how you come here and wine, wine well i think i know some good one, for Anathema

But now its me and

Where shadows dance, and comrades fall
Where comrades' shadows dance and fall...
I think you know witch CD I listen before leaving my home
----

apos;'
[image]
26.06.2006 - 20:45
Nathan Lurker
I don't know if you people have already seen this but here's a fan made video for the song "violence". I think it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PTQmUXMZgU
----

29.06.2006 - 13:36
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Nathan Lurker on 26.06.2006 at 20:45

I don't know if you people have already seen this but here's a fan made video for the song "violence". I think it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PTQmUXMZgU

Pure awesomeness I particularly like the beginning, so deeply melancholic, and the end with the waterfalls.
----
29.06.2006 - 22:58
Valmont
Ah, Anathema... Such magnificent musicians, an awesome band and has no record deal. This just makes me sick to my stomach. What can you do? Like their music, the band is in such a dramatic position. I just feel very sorry for them.. Hope they will manage to step up again and play the most beautiful music on earth!