Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
25.08.2006 - 13:50
Anathemani@c
Written by hanna of steel on 22.08.2006 at 21:14

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - I will check tham all out when I have time.

@ Anathemani@c - I don't think I'll freak out - I listen to all sort of music.
I'm used to the heavy stuff too !

Sorry, if I offended you, but I didn't know you're listening to Children Of Bodom and Primordial etc...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
25.08.2006 - 14:29
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Anathemani@c on 25.08.2006 at 13:50

Written by hanna of steel on 22.08.2006 at 21:14

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - I will check tham all out when I have time.

@ Anathemani@c - I don't think I'll freak out - I listen to all sort of music.
I'm used to the heavy stuff too !

Sorry, if I offended you, but I didn't know you're listening to Children Of Bodom and Primordial etc...

No problem - I wasn't offended.

I surprise myself sometimes with what I like to listen to
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
08.09.2006 - 10:21
Anathemani@c
For any one here: You can see ville vallo singing along Danniel Inner Silince from Anathema. www.youtube.com and then you ll have to search the name cavanagh. Then, you will also see a clip of danniel singing stairway to heaven. These are the anathema fan news.
----
Trapped in time
08.09.2006 - 19:24
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
i loved the video of Ville singing with Danny... sounded great!

I am not so much a big fan of Anathema's older doomier stuff... however I absolutely love their new sound.
Has everyone hear heard the 2 free download songs off of their website?
"Everything" is a great song... but the other track (forget the name) wasn't that impressive imo =(
09.09.2006 - 22:36
Nathan Lurker
The second track is entitled "A Simple Mistake" and it has a great second part, moody with a nice riffing. Both of the new sonjgs are quite ...different than their previous stuff. I think we need a full length to fully appreciate the "new" sound they have.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
10.09.2006 - 12:34
Anathemani@c
Written by Nathan Lurker on 09.09.2006 at 22:36

The second track is entitled "A Simple Mistake" and it has a great second part, moody with a nice riffing. Both of the new sonjgs are quite ...different than their previous stuff. I think we need a full length to fully appreciate the "new" sound they have.

I tottaly agree with you. To tell the truth I liked more a simple mistake than everything. Also, I didn't like Ville Vallo singing inner silence. Vinnie's voice is so much better in Inner silence. The thing I wanted to say is that Anathema always change their style alboum to alboum. So this is why I am waiting so impatient their next alboum.
----
Trapped in time
10.09.2006 - 13:18
Anathemani@c
Written by Sekhmet on 20.08.2006 at 15:33

Vinnie's voice brings so much emotion to the music!!
Ville Valo in Anathema

You can see Ville Vallo singing Anathema's Inner silence in www.youtube.com. Go there and search for cavanagh. You will find it immediatelly.
----
Trapped in time
11.09.2006 - 20:32
Procardia
Account deleted
What I really like in Anathema is their lyrics.
11.09.2006 - 20:59
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
"A Simple Mistake" is an absolutely great song! I like it much more than "Everything" and it has a much better atmosphere.
13.09.2006 - 20:33
Nathan Lurker
I can'T decide wich I prefer between Everything and A Simple Mistake, but I think A Simple Mistake has an almost "A Fine Day to Exit" feeling in the second part of the song. It's a little bit more into a "known" territory.
----

14.09.2006 - 20:38
SteTech
Saw them last night. Wasn't that greatly impressed by them, but then I only own two albums from the rock period. The crowd I found kinda odd, a mixture of metalheads and ordinary people, not something I see everyday. Anyway they were alright, I was more impressed the special guests Wolverine though, they were brill!
15.09.2006 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.09.2006 at 20:32

I agree man but I enjoy read only first 4-5 album lyrics wwhen thay was lile lil' dark poets about sadness but after 5th album and about 1995 something hapen and they write worts lyrics how in begining and last album lyrics
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.09.2006 - 17:06
darksun
anathema can make depressive,dark and intimate music and write great lyrics as you said.IOt makes them different than others
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
18.09.2006 - 14:57
Anathemani@c

What I admire in Anathema is their lyrics.. So dark, depressive and emotional. I love the regret lyrics. Also, lost control.. Try them out!
----
Trapped in time
19.09.2006 - 05:12
Windshear
Account deleted
I heard thet their Seranades album is a masterpiece, but all I have is Judgment. It kicks alotta ass though.
19.09.2006 - 05:42
Nickwillnotbe
@Windshear:

The difference between Serenades and Judgement are pretty drastic. On Serenades they were still playing doom/death metal. By the time they put out Judgement they had pretty much abandoned the doom metal genre in its entirety. Personally, I find the new era Anathema (Eternity-A Natural Disaster) to be far more enjoyable. Each album has a lot of diversity without losing that Anathema feel. I'd suggest trying out Alternative Four or Eternity if you like Judgement. A Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster are more rock oriented, but both are great. If you really want to hear Anathema's doom/death sound I'd suggest A Silent Eternity over Serenades, but thats just me.

As far as the two new songs they have released, I like A Simple Mistake FAR more than Everything. It had that familiar Anathema vibe. Everything just didn't have that Anathema feel to it. It was almost, and I hate to say this, to upbeat for my taste. I'm hoping the album sounds more similar to A Simple Mistake. Anathema hasn't let me down yet though, so I figure they know what they are doing.
19.09.2006 - 17:37
Veeken
Account deleted
I have just recently been getting really into anathema. I don't know what you all think of the album "the silent enigma," but it seems to be the album i play most. I especially love the first track "restless oblivion." Just an amazing song from start to finish.
02.10.2006 - 23:07
Anathemani@c
Is there anyone here knowing what is wrong with Anathema official site? Or not? Or anyone knowing about the third Anathema song which is going to be released??? Thanks!!!
----
Trapped in time
26.10.2006 - 14:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anathemani@c on 18.09.2006 at 14:57

What I admire in Anathema is their lyrics.. So dark, depressive and emotional. I love the regret lyrics. Also, lost control.. Try them out!

Thats what I agree i love them lyrics too all lyrics exept newesta ere so depresive, dark and emotional and leitehr when thay get true eprsive period of life thay dont write so great lyrics
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.12.2006 - 22:41
Jiri
Anathema had something great going when they were doom metal. They really lost it with their last two albums that slurped so much ass. I still like them overall, but I hate their last two albums. They have no metal in them what so ever. I am sure their new album coming in 2007 will suck as well.
12.12.2006 - 14:24
Nathan Lurker
Having " no metal "" in their music is barely a valid point of criticism towards them. What they changed for is actually a LOT more entertaining in every level. Their songwriting as evolved to a upper level.There's more diversity and quality in the way they treat songs. They left the simple riffings of ol' doom era ( a genre that would have left them doing the same stuff over and over again) for textured and layered songwriting. There's a lot more richness in what they've done since Alternative 4.

Their lyrics has gotten better too. Their old stuff has nothing wrong in it but again, it's really in the doom metal genre, wich is pretty much limited. What does it brings beyong " poor me I'm sad" ? Bringing in different feelings like hope got them further away from the simplicity of a genre that restrained them.

Jiri, if you want to say a band sucks, at least bring some arguments that explains your point of view. You could also try to give credits to bands who are good even though not your style. Grow up.
----

12.12.2006 - 17:24
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by Nathan Lurker on 12.12.2006 at 14:24

Having " no metal "" in their music is barely a valid point of criticism towards them. What they changed for is actually a LOT more entertaining in every level. Their songwriting as evolved to a upper level.There's more diversity and quality in the way they treat songs. They left the simple riffings of ol' doom era ( a genre that would have left them doing the same stuff over and over again) for textured and layered songwriting. There's a lot more richness in what they've done since Alternative 4.

Their lyrics has gotten better too. Their old stuff has nothing wrong in it but again, it's really in the doom metal genre, wich is pretty much limited. What does it brings beyong " poor me I'm sad" ? Bringing in different feelings like hope got them further away from the simplicity of a genre that restrained them.

Jiri, if you want to say a band sucks, at least bring some arguments that explains your point of view. You could also try to give credits to bands who are good even though not your style. Grow up.

Couldn't agree more!
12.12.2006 - 22:21
Anathemani@c
Written by Jiri on 11.12.2006 at 22:41

Anathema had something great going when they were doom metal. They really lost it with their last two albums that slurped so much ass. I still like them overall, but I hate their last two albums. They have no metal in them what so ever. I am sure their new album coming in 2007 will suck as well.

Poor you... I am pretty sure that you have never seen Anathema live and I don't think that you have ever listened to the last two Anathema alboums more than one time.. You are not progressive mind at all - or at least this is what you made me thinkwith all these things you said... I do also listen to doom/death metal stuff, to black, death, progressive metal but I also listen to Coldplay and Audioslave, even if it sounds funny to you. Open your ears to every kind of music and accept new things.And finally, don't you EVER again criticise something that you haven't even listened to...:shit:
----
Trapped in time
12.12.2006 - 22:29
Anathemani@c
Written by un/heart/ed on 12.12.2006 at 14:20

Written by Anathemani@c on 02.10.2006 at 23:07

Is there anyone here knowing what is wrong with Anathema official site? Or not? Or anyone knowing about the third Anathema song which is going to be released??? Thanks!!!

their 3rd release is not from the album. all i know is this bro.

Thanks! I already knew that! I posted the news from Anathema's official site here
----
Trapped in time
16.12.2006 - 02:45
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted

For those of you who are wondering, Jiri is not a "one hit wonder" in the realm of retards. He does this quite often.

Go check out the Katatonia thread on this forum... he recently posted the same thing about them.
"Their new stuff slurps ass. I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW YOU GUYS CAN CALL YOURSELF METAL FANS WHEN YOU LISTEN TO THIS."

This kid (probably 13 years old) obviously doesn't realize that screamo doom metal isn't the only kind of music out there...

I for one think that Anathema and Katatonia are about 100 times more original now than they were in their earlier years...
16.12.2006 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I agree to a good extent with what Jiri said. I agree with him that Anathema lost it when they turned away from their death/doom sound. Slurping ass wouldn't be the term I'd use. But they bore me to tears nowadays, it's as if they play the same song over and over again. The rot started to set in with Alternative 4 when they started to sound like so many British rock bands with that slight alternative sound. And Jiri is right this has nothing to with metal anymore whatsoever.
Oh, and before anyone goes off that I should listen to their albums more than one time... I have ALL their stuff on original cd and seen them live a couple of times, and man, live they are even more boring IMO.
And also before you people say I have to be open-minded... first of all I don't have to be open-minded at all if I don't want to be, and second of all. I am one of the most open-minded metalheads around.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.12.2006 - 10:02
Nathan Lurker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2006 at 02:59

But they bore me to tears nowadays, it's as if they play the same song over and over again.

Dude, their album is sounding different everytime. Judgment has it's own feeling compared to Alternative 4, and if you think A Fine Day to Exit sounded the same as the two previous albums, you're officially weird. I suppose Balance and Release are a bit alike. Maybe even Harmonium and Pressure are a bit alike as an album opener... but that's pretty much were the likeness ends. Repetition is more likely to be heard in Black metal, death metal and even standard doom metal.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2006 at 02:59
And Jiri is right this has nothing to with metal anymore whatsoever.

So ? Who Cares ?
----

16.12.2006 - 16:55
darksun
anathema changes so much but that has no effect on their music atmosphere and greatness.And i believe that their new form is much better.
----
16.12.2006 - 16:55
darksun
anathema changes so much but that has no effect on their music atmosphere and greatness.And i believe that their new form is much better.
----
16.12.2006 - 18:31
Jiri
@Anathemanic: You know how I know you're gay, you like coldplay. And don't you EVER assume that I did not waste my time and money listening this shit. And Mournful Woods, if you like rock so much, why are you on a website called metalstorm? Go talk about this boring, go nowhere crap on some altenative rock forum. And Mr. Heartbreaker, you are just a prick with nothing better to do. Dude, I'd love to know a 13 year old who likes doom metal. All the 13 year olds I know like altenative rock like Anathema! @Marcel Ozman: Thank you for agreeing with me. New Anathema is like listening to the same song over, and over.