Metal Storm logo
How To Pronounce Band Names

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 21.05.2006 - 14:33
Post here band names you have difficulty or are unsure how to pronounce. Hopefully someone will know the answer!

As for me:
Akercocke
Anaal Nathrakh
23.07.2011 - 18:14
Pazu
Written by Ernis on 23.07.2011 at 15:39

Written by Pazu on 23.07.2011 at 15:02

Written by beyondtehdarksun on 22.07.2011 at 17:04

Written by TheBigRossowski on 22.07.2011 at 16:53

To be a bit picky, it's more like: "End SCHtill", not like the english word "still".

You also have to pronounce the trailing 'e' in German. Like, maybe, "End-schteel-e".

It's not really an "ee". I think the best way to show how to pronounce it is:

"End-shtill-a",

It'd be so when there was an R in the end but since it's just Endstille then it should be [endʃtille]... yup, IPA is the best thing...

It's hell of hard to explain pronunciation to English speakers sometimes, it's then that the IPA comes to aid... German writing is in fact quite an easy one, not like English writing...

You're right that it's not pronounced like in "liar" for example, with an r at the end, but that's not what I meant. The a at the end is pronounced similarly to the artcle "a" (a tree, a house, whatever"), so "End-shtill-a" explains it pretty well, I think.
23.07.2011 - 18:51
Iriki
And Ihsahn? How do you pronounce it?
23.07.2011 - 18:52
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 16:08

Does anybody know how to pronounce Deicide?

Deicide.

First pronoune the "dei" part like deity. The "cide" part is just the same as suicide, genocide, insectocide.

So Day-i-Side.
23.07.2011 - 19:13
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Iriki on 23.07.2011 at 18:51

And Ihsahn? How do you pronounce it?

My favorite.

its ISH then Han

We all speak different languages, english being the second or third for lots of you.
23.07.2011 - 19:51
JD
Account deleted
Melechesh anyone? I always spelled it like Mele"kh"esh, is that's right?

Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 19:13

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?
23.07.2011 - 20:01
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Pazu on 23.07.2011 at 18:14

You're right that it's not pronounced like in "liar" for example, with an r at the end, but that's not what I meant. The a at the end is pronounced similarly to the artcle "a" (a tree, a house, whatever"), so "End-shtill-a" explains it pretty well, I think.

Ok, I understood now what you meant. You wanted to say it's an open E in the end... article a in English is usually not an open E, as much as I know it should be a schwa which is written with the IPA symbol ə.

Once again this shows why we should not use English when trying to transmit the pronunciation of other languages. Out of all languages I have studied, English and Chinese have the most difficult writing, that is, you never know the exact pronunciation... If the letter A is A in almost every language which uses Latin alphabet, then in English it can be o, ä, e or also a.
If I is I in any language, then in English it's AI
If E is e in any language, then in English it's I.

What cracks me up the most is when people use OO instead of U... yes, English is a weird language which pronounces OO as u and U as yu but we shouldn't take English as a dominant example... IPA rules...
23.07.2011 - 20:06
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 19:51

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

I always thought it was just pronounced phonetically.
23.07.2011 - 20:15
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 20:06

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

I think Ihsahn is an Arabic name(and it means 'Charity'), and it doesn't spell like ISH HAN, but am not sure where this name came from.
23.07.2011 - 20:16
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 20:15

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

I think Ihsahn is an Arabic name(and it means 'Charity'), and it doesn't spell like ISH HAN, but am not sure where this name came from.

It is an Arabic name. Plus its the brand of the cricket bat.
23.07.2011 - 20:22
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 20:16

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

Sorry man, I didn't get what you said, is that a joke? or sarcasm?
23.07.2011 - 22:14
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 20:22

Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 20:16

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

Sorry man, I didn't get what you said, is that a joke? or sarcasm?

no its a true fact. Just spamming
23.07.2011 - 22:30
Iriki

0:34
24.07.2011 - 00:08
Pazu
Written by Ernis on 23.07.2011 at 20:01

Written by Pazu on 23.07.2011 at 18:14

Ok, I understood now what you meant. You wanted to say it's an open E in the end... article a in English is usually not an open E, as much as I know it should be a schwa which is written with the IPA symbol ə.

Once again this shows why we should not use English when trying to transmit the pronunciation of other languages. Out of all languages I have studied, English and Chinese have the most difficult writing, that is, you never know the exact pronunciation... If the letter A is A in almost every language which uses Latin alphabet, then in English it can be o, ä, e or also a.
If I is I in any language, then in English it's AI
If E is e in any language, then in English it's I.

What cracks me up the most is when people use OO instead of U... yes, English is a weird language which pronounces OO as u and U as yu but we shouldn't take English as a dominant example... IPA rules...

The thing is, that nobody understands the IPA. It's true that you need to explain a few things when displaying pronounciation in English, but you really need to do the same thing for IPA symbols. In fact, you'd probably need to explain about a third of the symbols first, instead of just a few vowels of the English alphabet. The IPA is certainly not as intuitive as it's trying to be. I actually think the system is very useful once you know it though. You should learn it in school, I think, especially in these times of globalization, where speaking at least one foreign language has basically become mandatory. Maybe you do learn it standardly in some countries, but it's not the case here in Germany.
24.07.2011 - 00:40
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Pazu on 24.07.2011 at 00:08

The thing is, that nobody understands the IPA. It's true that you need to explain a few things when displaying pronounciation in English, but you really need to do the same thing for IPA symbols. In fact, you'd probably need to explain about a third of the symbols first, instead of just a few vowels of the English alphabet. The IPA is certainly not as intuitive as it's trying to be. I actually think the system is very useful once you know it though. You should learn it in school, I think, especially in these times of globalization, where speaking at least one foreign language has basically become mandatory. Maybe you do learn it standardly in some countries, but it's not the case here in Germany.

When I started learning English at school, we first only used IPA. It's the same as when you learn Chinese, you first learn the pronunciation with the help of romanised alphabet before moving on to learn how the words are written. With English it was the same... we first studied the pronunciation and then during the second year we started learning also the written form, with every new word we learnt the pronunciation and then the written shape by heart.

IPA is not difficult. Thing is that it corresponds in most cases to Latin alphabet. The problem with English is that the way how English words are written do not correspond to the pronunciation.

Example: name MATIC (the pronunciation is MATITS, as a German you probably get it). For a person who knows only English it'd be most likely "MEITIK"...
Or "BLUMENLADEN"... an English speaker could pronounce it either as "BLAMENLADN" or "BLIUMENLADN" or "BLIUMENLEIDN" or "BLAMENLEIDN"... English pronunciation is very unstable and there is no logic at all in it... you see it once more as the word "LEAD" can be both "LIID" and "LED"...

Which means... "learn just a few vowels of the English alphabet" is not that easy at all if you consider the fact that in English every letter can correspond to 10 different pronunciations all depending of the position of the letter in a word and conjunctions with other letters and also other factors...
The problem is that English language had a vowel shift at some point during its evolution... the pronunciation changed dramatically but at the same time the written shape of the words remained the same...
24.07.2011 - 01:00
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

I doubt it that a satanist like him would call himself Ihsahn. BTW my father's name is Ihsan, which means charity.
24.07.2011 - 02:40
ß
Problem?

Proper pronunciation of Deicide is dee-uh-sahyd [diəˌsaɪd], others opt for Day-i-Side. When in doubt use dictionary.com, more of then not words are provided with IPA pronunciation

As far as I know that is the correct pronunciation
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
24.07.2011 - 03:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by ß on 24.07.2011 at 02:40

Proper pronunciation of Deicide is dee-uh-sahyd [diəˌsaɪd], others opt for Day-i-Side. When in doubt use dictionary.com, more of then not words are provided with IPA pronunciation

As far as I know that is the correct pronunciation

Correct on both. Although I would've spelled it Dee-uh-side (instead of sahyd, looks arabic that way and not everyone knows how to pronounce that, haha), lol. I've actually seen an interview with Ashmedi and that's how he pronounced it was Mele"kh"esh...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.07.2011 - 05:18
Richard
Elite
For Deicide, I think it depends on whether you're American or English. fabregassed and I say "day-uh-side" because we're English, and we pronounce "deity" as "day-uh-tee". Americans pronounce "deity" as "dee-uh-tee", and therefore "deicide" as "dee-uh-cide".
----
24.07.2011 - 05:47
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.07.2011 at 01:00

its ISH then Han

What!? are you sure?

Maybe its a typo?

I doubt it that a satanist like him would call himself Ihsahn. BTW my father's name is Ihsan, which means charity.

typo my bad
24.08.2011 - 14:32
RockeRoy
If anyone still wonder... Ihsahn is pronounced ISHHAN as EmperorGonzo said.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
24.08.2011 - 15:26
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by psykometal on 24.07.2011 at 03:42

I have a friend who is a native speaker of English working at a Polish university, teaching students of English philology. When in doubt, I contact her and treat her words like an oracle She can also mimic most English accents. she can, for example, start a sentence in cockney and finish it in Aussie accent.

Anyways, she agrees that this is the correct pronunciation of Deicide.
24.08.2011 - 15:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Has been done before I'm sure but - Behemoth:

Ber-HEE-merth

or

Bay-er-moth

The bottom one for me.
24.08.2011 - 18:31
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
^ Well ,considering Behemoth is a Hebrew word I pronounce it like:

Be - as in bed
he - as in head
moth - as in motel
24.08.2011 - 21:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 15:50

Ber-HEE-merth

or

Bay-er-moth

The bottom one for me.

The top one is how I heard it pronounced by some Americans.
28.08.2011 - 15:55
Vivi'
Hahhahaha, I pronounce it be-he-mot.

How do you pronounce Kreator? I do it like an English speaker would, but Mille iz Italian and the band is from Germany.

Btw, there are a lot of people who pronounce Annihilator with an 'H' - wtf! I have been lectured that it should be pronounced with an 'H' by some idiots.
28.08.2011 - 15:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vivi' on 28.08.2011 at 15:55

Hahhahaha, I pronounce it be-he-mot.

How do you pronounce Kreator? I do it like an English speaker would, but Mille iz Italian and the band is from Germany.

I think that Mille was born in Germany and that his parents are originally from Italy, so that would make him a Germany
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2011 - 16:07
Vivi'
I meant that his origins are Italian

In German it should be read like it's written...
31.08.2011 - 06:10
dr.doom
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 15:50

Ber-HEE-merth

or

Bay-er-moth

The bottom one for me.

It's Beh-he-muth

It's a relatively common word in media in the US and I've seen them live twice. So I'm 100% about that one.
31.08.2011 - 17:21
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
How is Windir pronounced? They're from Norway so I suppose I should say Vindir...
Is that right?
31.08.2011 - 23:25
dr.doom
Written by Guest on 31.08.2011 at 17:21

How is Windir pronounced? They're from Norway so I suppose I should say Vindir...
Is that right?

I say Vin-deer, but I have no idea if I'm right lol.