Metal Storm logo
Visual Kei and JPop/Rock Poll

Original post

Posted by Linak, 22.05.2006 - 06:20

(I came across this banner, will credit/remove if necessary)

I've decided to make this a lot more interesting by turning it into a poll, since there are not so many options for voting, I was forced to put together some of the possible answers for example since Due le Quartz and Miyavi share a lot in common (at least one member lol) I put them together, same I did with L'arc en Ciel and HYDE, If you choose to vote for one of these two options please do state on your post wether you were voting for the band, or the solist, I was cLose to doing this with Malice Mizer and Gackt but I guess I'd be getting on a certain mod's nerves ^^'

There are many other bands I would have liked to feature on this poll for example BLOOD, Sex Machineguns and Lareine, just to name a few, but again the lack of space wouldn't let me, anyway I only hope this thread would be a lot more interesting than the past one because of the poll add.

Here is the stuff I had put on the last thread I had made, I will probably be posting the pics later on the thread so enjoy!

OLD THREAD:

Good day world, Linak-sama here!

After having some nice, sweet short (ha!) conversations with Blackgir and Darth Satanious at the 'Moi Dix Moi/Malice Mizer' thread, I decided it was time to have a brand new and specific thread about japanese rock/pop, and the Visual Kei movement! Yes I'm a happy girl right now!

From Wikipedia: (yah we all love wikipedia XD)

Visual Kei, literally "visual type", refers to a movement in J-Rock which started in the 1980s and became widely popular in Japan by the 1990s.

Origins:
Largely the movement is credited to have been started "almost single handedly" by X Japan, however a rising trend of utilizing visual shock to gain membership in the independent scene was well in effect by the time X went major; they may be seen in this sense not as a catalyst for the movement, but a mechanism to involve dominant Japanese popular culture with it. Bands in the early 1990s such as Luna Sea, Zi:Kill, Shazna, and Baiser along with previous bands Buck-Tick and X Japan encouraged a "boom" of this media culture.

Characteristics:
Visual Kei is characterised by bands using dramatic costumes and visual imagery to enhance the band's performance. Within Japan, the fan-base almost solely consists of girls and young women and is marketed strongly to that audience with items such as tradeable stickers, glossy photo-books, picture-postcards of band members and so on. In other countries, the comparatively small quantity of Visual Kei followers is roughly an equal division between male and female youth. Visual Kei is often focused upon in the West as a uniquely Japanese part of the Rock music scene.

Members of Visual Kei bands often wear striking makeup, style their hair in dramatic shapes (reminiscent of "glam metal" bands from the '80s) and wear elaborate costumes. Although the vast majority of the musicians are male, band members will often wear makeup and clothing which would be considered 'feminine' or 'androgynous'. Recently, some bands are returning to the more colourful and "fantastic" image popular 5 or 6 years ago, taking inspiration from computer roleplaying games and anime. The appeal of the costumes to fans is so great that large numbers of girls will cosplay as members of their favourite bands, particularly in Harajuku, at live concerts in Japan, or in North America, Chile, Spain and Australia at anime conventions.

Bands:
Visual Kei bands, being defined primarily by visual style, do not necessarily play a specific type of music. They most often play general J-rock (Luna Sea, Dir en grey) and vocal based pop or light rock (Glay, Gackt).

However, there are also bands playing or influenced by Heavy Metal (Sex Machineguns, Onmyo-Za), Darkwave (Velvet Eden, Schwarz Stein), Industrial rock, Punk rock and various other genres can be found. Taking the genre in a wide sense, most of the bands would be considered to play some kind of "rock" music. Particularly popular in recent years are the projects of Mana; Malice Mizer (now defunct) and Moi dix Mois.

Within the field of Visual Kei several popular movements have arose; the fashion style Gothic Lolita and the musical sub-genres; EroGuro and Angura Kei, which form particular visual styles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Kei

So I totally completely love this genre, for real, not only Malice Mizer, (I'm posting mostly their pictures because my computer is full of them, and I don't really have a lot of pics from other bands, shame on me I know), but there are so many, and I mean SO many bands that could be talked about, and this is what this thread is all about, bands recommendations, post lyrics translations, reviews and a whole lot of sharing and trading! Fanfiction? Why not!

Anything JROCK/VISUALKEI/JPOP related is sure as hell welcome!

Now! Who wants to share?!

I'll start first and offer ANYONE a big huge cyber hug if you can link me to Gazette's Tokyo Shinjuu lyrics translation!

Talk to me people talk to meee, any jrockers out there, this is your mating call bwahaha, come little children and speak up! I wanna see who has some reaaally good music taste over here ne! Oh and I hope Blackgir doesn't get maddy at me ^^' I mean goodie, hontou! (for real!)

Ah yes, one last thing, if you're a geek like me and sometimes post phrases in pretty pretty japanese, be a good sexy-beam and translate onegai! (please!) see how easy that was?!

Alright! *huggles* Post on! </crazyfangirlsqueals>

Poll

Favorite Visual K/JRock/JPop Band/Singer out of these:

X Japan
Dir en Grey
Other, name it
Moi Dix Mois
Gackt
Malice Mizer
Gazette
L'arc en Ciel/HYDE
Due le Quartz/Miyavi

Total votes: 56
10.12.2006 - 15:31
AntaeusM
Elite
so, an artist is good when he gives good yaoi? ok, that says enough about the level that Miyavi is on Really, just seperate the guy from any other Jrock musician(especially, the similar, but more talented, Gackt), then you can easily see he is just..mediocre.

and being "the only person who dislikes Miyavi" makes me unique. Sorry that I only like the musicians who really stand out in the Japanese scene(Mana, Hora, Dada etc.). they just.. show much better what they are capable of, instead of just playing the media, and making some crappy songs, as Miyavi.
you didn't get me on my nerves, but, I might become very passionate about the artists I enjoy from this scene now Miyavi is just..talentless. that's all. and I am just so glad Eddie slowly starts to realise his music gets boring soon. and one day..you and Linak will follow too. *looking forward to that day*.

X-Japan is one of the creators of Visual Kei. together with Buck-Tick. Anyway, just try either Blue Blood(which is metal, a bit like power/heavy/progressive metal) or try their latest album Dahlia. X Japan are one of the best bands from this scene in my opinion, they meant a lot for both Jrock and metal

ah, you mentioned it *nervous*. yes, 2 days, I know. just look at how fast it turned from 5 days into 2 days, hm : and we(or at least I ) aren't turning mexican in the slight bit hmph..still feel as a dutchie, hah.
31.12.2006 - 18:12
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Ahhh, news from the Gackt and Yoshiki project has arrived

"According to an article from Yahoo Japan Entertainment on December 28th, Yoshiki has announced that Sugizo (Luna Sea) will be another member of the much talked about music project (yet unnnamed) he and Gackt will be putting together next year. Sugizo will be the guitarist. My friend in Japan, who sent the link to the article and a brief translation said that Yoshiki commented that they want to be the first Asian band to top the world charts. Sugizo also said to expect some hard rock music. The article stated that an announcement will be made early in the new year as to who the other members are and what the name of the project will be."

Thats taken from Tokyo Nights, but the database is dead at that site or something, and I took it from the site Isang Mundo.

And a rough translation of the text from Yahoo Japan Entertainment using Babelfish (use some imagination ):

"SUGIZO luxurious band joining December 28th 6 time 5 distribution trust sport Japan It understood on the 27th that SUGIZO of the origin "LUNA SEA" joins to YOSHIKI of the origin "X JAPAN" and the new band which popularity singer Gackt forms, as a guitarist. 3 people with collection of data of [japenese] made clear. Aiming toward 5 human groups finally, we are chosen a person, include also group name and are formally announced to also the year opening. As for YOSHIKI choosing in the guitarist of the new band, Ryuichi Kawamura (36) and also SUGIZO which is the core member "of LUNA SEA". You are brought up in the music family, e.g., the parents participate in the orchestra, itself plays the violin other than the guitar. [japenese] age, you belonged to the label of YOSHIKI superintendence, from that time there was an established reputation in performance and composition ability. They are the circumstances which is 20 years close association, are to put trust of the full-width. As for YOSHIKI "at first glance, the extraterrestrial we would like to see with the strange place while, there is a pure feeling vis-a-vis music", you say, also SUGIZO comes "well and the older brother, depending is and it is the older brother who is. Having using voice, honor "you rejoice. Gackt 4 years ago in music event first meeting. At that time the rival apparent it had done, but it is to recognize mutual ability. Don't you think? as for Gackt "that time quarrel it divided, (laughing). It is quarrel of the child. That time "however the wasted this year [japenese] it is" the [japenese] you thought, like this doing, being able to make simultaneous, it is delightful, "that the smiling face. SUGIZO is a personality and charisma "with stopping/deciding [japenese]. But the person where privacy is not visible when it tries meeting, reliance is possible as a person, "you say. As for band activity, ever since X JAPAN which YOSHIKI disperses to 97. Also Gackt after seceding, changes "MALICE MIZER" to solo in 99, also SUGIZO in earnest is ever since LUNA SEA which is dispersed to 00. It is project of the dream where the signboard member of the visual type 3 band which represents nineties gathers the face. YOSHIKI [japenese] and piano and Gackt vocal. Already, we have begun the tune making, it enters into recording from the year opening. As for Gackt the NHK big river drama "Kazabayasi volcano" which performs (January 7th of next year start) recording has entered to next fall, in parallel, it keeps being active. As for YOSHIKI "as for the member you think that finally you become 5 people. The member who has name was attached and, world wide we would like to be active ", that aspiration. Gackt "personality being strong respectively, selfishness. The person of society "does not go, with well however perhaps," the [japenese] you think, it continued the intention for the first time of obtaining the top of the world as for me as the Asian person ". SUGIZO "we want expecting the roar lock which has the impact which is not defeated to face", that you are enthusiastic. The colliding of intense personality, causing what kind of chemical reaction? It may make 07 year music circle hot.
Last renewal: December 28th 6:5"

So well, finally some news and confirmation. I wonder to who they will go now for a bassist
31.12.2006 - 19:52
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by Eddie on 31.12.2006 at 18:12

As for YOSHIKI "at first glance, the extraterrestrial

Ahh, don't you just LOVE those translations? ^^' I knew it was true! Ever since that diary entry (pff, memory?) I always knew Yoshiki was an alien! ... or was that Gackt?

Anyway, those are great news!! Pff, so, they are starting recording on 2007 or did I just make that up? Uuh something like hard rock... that sounds like, I don't know, I'm a bit scared actually, just thinking about Gackt and Yoshiki in the same band makes me instantly start humming the melody to 'The World is not Enough' hah, and they keep adding on BIG egos to the band, I so completely hope they won't ask Tetsu Ogawa to join in X3 because then that might cause the world to implode pff, oh oh! The drummah! Who would that be? Do you think Yoshiki would also take turns with the piano and and and the drums? or or, they would call in someone else?

Pff, waaa, I can play bass! I can! I wanna join in that band!! >.< oww, pwease! I can... I can be a hot asian man with a huge bulge in my pants! I have the predisposition and that's what matters! waaa

^^'
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
02.01.2007 - 05:19
AntaeusM
Elite
Oh thank you Eddie so the guy from Luna Sea will join them too..okay, I was never really fond of Luna Sea, but well, it sounds like the man himself will be nice addition to Gackt and Yoshiki. The fact that Yoshiki said he wants to reach the top of the charts internationally, I assume this hard rock project will be catchy hard rock? Oh well, I guess Gackt's vocals are perfect for that anyway, this news sound good and let's see who will complete the band

As far as the co-operation between Gackt and Yoshiki, I have to agree with Linak here Yoshiki wants to control everything in the band, and Gackt has a similar attitude, so those two together..might give some collisions As far as the line-up goes, I think it is pretty obvious Yoshiki will do at least the drums, and probably also the piano, and Gackt the vocals. The guy from Luna Sea on guitars, and well..a bass player. Perhaps you Linak? but never ever consider to become an asian man, okay? ok, now seriously, let's just wait who Yoshiki will pick, I do think he will pick a talented someone, he has the popularity and respect to do that.
02.01.2007 - 07:29
Linak
I Own You Bitch
From what I've read at the crazyrabidfangirl communities on LJ, there should be NO Dir en Grey members involved, not sure if it's just because US craazyrabidfangirls (pff, I just added myself to the bunch, same for you Eddie, seeing as you are worse than me ) don't want them to, or because Yoshiki stated somewhere that he doesn't, but still, this means (sorry Eddie), no Toshiya in this god-like band ^^'

AND I have read somewhere that if Mana joined in, they would probably have a bassist change every album just so he could have someone to hit on and then when he is turned down, blame it on the 'lack of chemistry between the members' or some wetdream like that Pff, but seriously, imagine if Mana joined in as a second guitar or something, first Japan... next, the world, next... soap operas omg *dies*

@Blackgir: ahh so I can't change my sex, hmph, I thought this would definitely convince you
----
02.01.2007 - 08:06
AntaeusM
Elite
You really spend too much time in those Jrock communities of LJ
Anyway, It is always fun to speculate who might take the position of the bass, but I am quite sure it wouldn't be any member of Dir en Grey It would be awesome if Mana joined, even when it is misplaced..but, Yoshiki could get Mana as piano/keyboard player, or something like that. However, I am pretty sure he rather does that himself. and hey, to be honest, a soap opera with Gackt, Yoshiki, Mana and that Luna Sea guy would be really awesome, right? Now more seriously, I would go for a member of L'arc~en~Ciel. It would make most sense to me

@Linak, no you can't change your sex for that reason even when you get the opportunity to play together with Yoshiki and Gackt. It doesn't convince me
02.01.2007 - 20:03
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Don't use your imignation to vividly on the translation Link haha, hmm Gackt as an alien, wouldnt be surprised really, but Yoshiki seems a bit too human for that, we could always just imagine though xD

Anyway, the band will be 5 person I suppose, looking at the translated peice of text. So Gackt is there, Yoshiki, and Sugizo. I do wonder too what instruments they will choose to play Gackt can sing, play guitar and piano, Yoshiki drums and piano, Sugizo bass, don't know if he can play anything else... that keeps the spots open for 2nd guitar and keys (perhaps the piano players can take up that role too), who will play what is a bit of a guessing game I guess, but I think the keys and 2nd guitar are open to be filled up by new members. So hey, they better announce soon that Aoi joins the part of 2nd guitar I can live with that, if no Toshiya will be added xD I hope they will update soon again

We will see how the collaboration between Gackt and Yoshiki will work out, it may produce some fireworks ^^

Soap operas where's HYDE??!! xD need HYDE xD oh I watched his live performance of Faith Live btw yesterday, and today, and the day before yesterday, it is pretty good not as good as Gazette's show, but it was still pretty good, cool stage, nice lightwork, pretty decent performance. Though there wasn't really a connection between the band and the crowd that much, they felt like a bit left out on the concert. The atmosphere in the Budokan with Gazette was much more exciting I got to say. But still, I really enjoyed the show, and will watch many more times ^^ I hope Feathers enjoyed it too

EDIT - uyy, I mixed up some things up there with instruments ^^' nevermind me...
02.01.2007 - 21:58
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Feathers, Feathers, Feathers... *rolls eyes*

haha
----
02.01.2007 - 23:08
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Linak on 02.01.2007 at 21:58

Feathers, Feathers, Feathers... *rolls eyes*

haha

Oh shut up

To make this post a bit less spam, a question where are those Jrock communities of LJ?? Sometimes I come across one on accident, but tell me, or share some links or anything like that, please ^^
02.01.2007 - 23:29
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Eddie on 02.01.2007 at 23:08

To make this post a bit less spam, a question where are those Jrock communities of LJ?? Sometimes I come across one on accident, but tell me, or share some links or anything like that, please ^^

Are you sure you wanna know? Nah some of those communities are actually funny, but they are full with..fangirls I only really like the Jrockhumor one, they post funny stuff there

And.. I have just listened to the first two songs of Kaya's solo album. I think I am so going to like this album. This second song, named "Walkure" is fantastic. The synths sound like a fusion between Hora and Kalm though. Anyway, I can't wait to hear the other songs
03.01.2007 - 12:52
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by AntaeusM on 02.01.2007 at 23:29

Written by Eddie on 02.01.2007 at 23:08

Are you sure you wanna know? Nah some of those communities are actually funny, but they are full with..fangirls I only really like the Jrockhumor one, they post funny stuff there

And.. I have just listened to the first two songs of Kaya's solo album. I think I am so going to like this album. This second song, named "Walkure" is fantastic. The synths sound like a fusion between Hora and Kalm though. Anyway, I can't wait to hear the other songs

hahaha guess I will fit in then

Oh yeah, Ive seen that album being available, but seeing your description, I won't check it out probably won't like it, so well, the cover is a bit weird too haha ^^'

- EDIT -

Oh I came across this on a forum, perhaps these will be the formations they will take. The pics were also already there

YOSHIKI (Drums/Piano)

GACKT (Vocals)

SUGIZO (Guitar/Violin)

And the proper translation of the press release, not the thingie I posted up there from Babelfish:

Sponichi announced December 27 that SUGIZO (ex-Luna Sea) will join forces with YOSHIKI (ex-X JAPAN) and popular singer Gackt as part of a five-member band whose name and details will be revealed in an official announcement early next year.

SUGIZO, who together with Ryuichi Kawamura formed the core of LUNA SEA, was YOSHIKI's choice for the guitarist. He was raised in a musical household headed by parents who played in an orchestra and is also proficient on the violin. During LUNA SEA's indies days the band was affiliated with YOSHIKI's record label and quickly gained renown as talented composers. The two have known each other for twenty years and are very close.

"At first glance, SUGIZO seems like some mysterious visitor from another world. But his feelings about music are really pure," YOSHIKI said.

SUGIZO described YOSHIKI as " a great older brother who I can always depend on. I'm honored that he asked me to be a part of his new project."

SUGIZO and Gackt met for the first time at a music event four years ago. Although they initially saw each other as rivals, they have come to respect each other's musical ability.

"The first time we met ended on a sour note," Gackt said, laughing. "We parted fighting and I felt like it was really too bad that we didn't get along so I'm happy that we get to work together." [clash of egos heh ^^']

"Gackt has a really strong personality and lots of charisma. It's hard to imagine what his life is like but when you meet him you really come to trust him," SUGIZO said.

X JAPAN broke up in 1997, Gackt left MALICE MIZER in 1999 to become a solo artist, and SUGIZO has been constantly working since LUNA SEA's breakup in 2000. It's a dream come true for many people to see three members of the most influential bands of the Visual Kei era working together. YOSHIKI will play drums and piano, and Gackt, who is also committed to NHK's drama "Fuurin Kazan" until Autumn, will hold down vocals.

"I think that we'll end up having five members," YOSHIKI said. "It's great that we've got some big names on board and I hope that we're able to make it big worldwide."

"Each of us has a strong personality and is somewhat selfish. I'm sure everyone thinks that our band will fall apart, but we really want to become the first Asian band to top the world charts," said Gackt.

"Look out for high-impact, explosive rock music," said SUGIZO.

What sort of chemical reaction will result from the mixing of these three intense individuals? They're definitely going to cause waves in the music world next year.
03.01.2007 - 18:49
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Eddie on 03.01.2007 at 12:52

hahaha guess I will fit in then

Oh yeah, Ive seen that album being available, but seeing your description, I won't check it out probably won't like it, so well, the cover is a bit weird too haha ^^'

<message>

uhm, probably well, you have to ask Linak for more links

Thanks for the translation, it does clarify some things. Let's see what the future will bring, since Yoshiki talks about 5 men in total, we can still assume two other musicians will join them. I am really curious who the other two will be. Because it could be anyone.. oh well, we will see

Now, about the Kaya album, I have listened all the tracks. And well, it is your own decision if you listen to it I do start to feel like the only person here who likes Kaya. Anyway, his solo-album is a lot more personal than the stuff he did with Schwarz Stein(or iSola). Some numbers are quite uhm..danceable, and are very electronic. However, it is nice to hear Kalm doing that part now, Kalm can't replace Hora, but he does a nice job. My favourite song is definitely "Walkure" for now. The ballad "Silvery Dark" was really a pleasant surprise, even when the first time I heard it I really had to get used to the man vocals, the ballad felt like a woman vocal would fit better for it, but after getting used to that it is an awesome song. "Rose Jail" was the only song on the album that slightly disapointed me. Kaya shouldn't compose such songs when he isn't together with Hora. Now I slightly hope someone contacts me and says "hey, share this album with me" *feels like the only Kaya listener here*. oh well..
04.01.2007 - 19:57
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Perhaps someone from Buck-Tick will join too, they were big and also ancient jrock relics, who knows.

Oh hey, and Miyavi will start a new band next year, I didn't knew that. He will continue his solo work, but this band besides it. This is what he said about it:

"I didn't think I'd stand with someone and play guitar again, but next year I'll be playing guitar with a band.
It's because I was able to find such amazing people that I was able to be in a band again. I told myself I wouldn't name anyone, so all I can do is hope you like them. The band name, and members cannot be announced now, but will be announced in the new year."

For if you didn't already knew, I wonder what he will do with it and oh well, here is the rest of the translated text of his journal entry:

"Hey everyone, it's Miyavi! Is everyone good?
I am good. I had such a large appetite yesterday, Miyavi gobbled up a 300g (11oz) Tender Loin Steak, 2 Smoked Salmon with Avacado Salad, Gold Rosted Asparagus, and at the end a 200g (8oz) Demiglace Hamburger. I have returned safely. Don't worry, I'm not at all fat!
Today I wanted to say something to you all, but not with text, with a comment. I'm tired and my ass is sore from the long plane ride.
4 years ago, the band split up and I had my solo debut. In 2002, roughly 4 years ago, during that amazing time, a magazine had said to me "What were you waiting for?" I could only move forward, and decided to stand on my own feet as a solo artist. It's all because of my fans that I was able to survive the past four years and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I didn't think I'd ever be part of a band again (ooo, pre-cursor to the next bit).
I didn't think I'd stand with someone and play guitar again, but next year I'll be playing guitar with a band.
It's because I was able to find such amazing people that I was able to be in a band again. I told myself I wouldn't name anyone, so all I can do is hope you like them. The band name, and members cannot be announced now, but will be announced in the new year. Since I didn't want to be swarmed by fans and other people, I decided to say this now, so close to the new year, and in a comment.
Of course, I'm still a solo artist and I'll be doing solo work as well, so look forward to it!
**here on out, I'm being less precise**
I have to get back into the flow of recording and pre-production now that I'm back. I know it's a bit lonely, but it's just a little bit longer.
-a little bit I don't understand-
That was a feeling of Miyavi. (WTF) Have a good year.
Also, since I am now able to write in my journal in Japanese, await patiently for more entries!"

Well, glad to know he isn't fat
10.01.2007 - 03:24
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Damn, i fell in love with Vidoll and The Gazette and Dir En Grey ^^ I keep on searching more the j-rock/visual kei thingie because i think i love it so far ^^ I will be back to vote when i have listened to more bands, i think i'm turning japanese xD
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.01.2007 - 20:08
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Ah nice Rozz well, keep us updated on what you find ^^

Oh a preview thingie for the new Gazette single/pv: http://www.pscompany.co.jp/move2/gazette/070207_hyena.html. It sounds pretty fun, it seems as if they are going to a more metal like approach, I hope the guitar work won't become a bit boring though. But we will see on the 7th of November, or a couple of days before
11.01.2007 - 22:46
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I hope they don't use those background chicks again u_u'
----
11.01.2007 - 23:59
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by KwonVerge on 10.01.2007 at 03:24

Damn, i fell in love with Vidoll and The Gazette and Dir En Grey ^^ I keep on searching more the j-rock/visual kei thingie because i think i love it so far ^^ I will be back to vote when i have listened to more bands, i think i'm turning japanese xD

That reminds me, a long time ago I adviced you to try Lucifer Luscious Violenoue and Fiction. Have you tried them by now and what do you think of her? I was always kinda curious if this band convinced you that there are gothic rock influences in Visual Kei. And yes, keep us updated about your newest discoveries
12.01.2007 - 01:34
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I'm trying to find at the moment lucifer luscious violenoue, so far i have listened to the 4 albums of Malice Mizer and i totally love this band, it's something out of this world, magnificent gentle, dark, poetic, emotional, sinister, surrounding atmosphere, every emotion partakes in the overall outcome and they seem to blend perfectly together! Memoire and Voyage are two very good releases, the first one more gothic oriented, i even recognised some gothic rock guitars in there, the second one the beginning of the new era with Gackt, a good album nevertheless, but to me it was just a glimpse of the grandeur that would follow with Merveilles! I can't believe such a masterpiece could exist, it's perfect! Everything is well-conceived and well-expressed and every member does his best, songs like syunikiss, bois de merveilles, gekka no yasoukyoku etc have haunted me, especially the last one of the three mentioned, it's so gentle, so romantic, so poetic, i totally love it! And finally, the fourth and last full-length album of them, bara no seidou, i have it in my heart as much as i do have merveilles, it's almost opera to my ears, it's devout and dark, imposing and fragile, i adore it, it's fabulous! Nevertheless, gothic rock elements are vivid in this band, but what i love about them is the marriage of so many genres/sounds/influences/personal elements in such a wonderful and succesful way, i find them unique and great! Too bad they disbanded, i don't know what else they could have achieved had they continued, probably more use of electronics (they had some slight references here and there), but i really don't know! The only thing i know is that i love them!

I'm searching for those two bands mentioned by Blackgir, but i don't seem to find something at the moment :/ I will keep them in mind, i intend to search a lot this scene because for some days i'm listening only to visual kei/j-rock and i'm so proud of it, i don't why, but all these days that i listen to this music i am into an extremely happy and good mood, i feel an awesome feeling, despite the fact that this music has a melancholy either lurking or in the foreground, depending on the song, the band, the passage or anything, it makes me feel happy! Btw, which albums should i download from Gackt? I loved his vocals in Malice Mizer (especially on Merveilles, on this album he achieved perfection in his Malice Mizer era in my humble opinion so far) and i think that his personal work will be something enormous and highly interesting to try out!

At this very moment i'm listening to beast of blood and then gardenia will follow, beast of blood sound powerful and imposing so far, i'm at the title track and now the drumming is raging Anyway, i suppose i will be back with more on malice mizer and some singles/eps/mini-cds of them i will listen

Next step of mine will be to listen again and more carefully to moi dix mois, the moment has come for me to respect their music since so suddenly and unexpectedly i entered this magical world of this fabulous genre! And you should blame Vidoll for this, i don't know why i searched out for them, but i liked their name and i said "let's try them out" And eversince everything started flowing with a will to get as much of visual kei/j-rock that i could get

So far i enjoyed a lot Ayabie, The Gazette, Malice Mizer, Dir En Grey (Gauze is a wonderful album and Withering to Death is very good as well, but somehow i tend to prefer Gauze, it's more.. traditional j-rock stuff if i may use that word due to my poor knowledge in the genre because Withering to Death has other references, more modern ones, as well - these are the only albums i listened from them so far) and Phantasmagoria, Miyavi, Blood and Moi Dix Mois are the very next bands i will listen to! Are Lareine any good? And if so, which albums from them should i try out? Any other good visual kei recommendations will always be welcome
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.01.2007 - 02:08
AntaeusM
Elite
Ah and another person has been caught in the world of J-rock and Visual Kei. hah. Well, there has already been said a lot about Malice Mizer, and I respect your opinion. It is also nice to see there isn't any specific era you prefer. You like both Gackt and Klaha on their own special way. Gackt's vocals are best on Merveilles, and to be completely honest with you, he is much better on that album than anything else he has done. you should ask Linak, or maybe Eddie for recommendations about his solo stuff. Because I cannot really stand much of it. Only uhm..two songs that I like. Klaha's vocals has my personal preference(in case it wasn't obvious), and I can also really recommend you to try his solo material. It is quite poppy, and kinda disapointing he left his image of Malice Mizer behind and became a more uhm..normal looking person. However, his solo album is great nonetheless. Both Bara no Seidou and Merveilles are my favourites, and I have great memories attached to both albums. I still find it kinda difficult though to get used to Tetsu's vocals.

Well, originally I told you to try this band because it is quite similar to Bauhaus. She even made a cover of "In The Flat Field" I have heard a lot of great stories about it. I never heard it though.

Hm, I never liked Vidoll haha. A bit strange you started with that band, oh well, it's good they open the doors for you to this amazing genre of music.

You do enjoy a lot of Visual Kei bands that I am not really into Phantasmagoria and Blood are good bands. Moi Dix Mois is fantastic. You should try to get the mini-album Moonlight Revival by Phantasmagoria. It is very short, but all three songs are excellent.

Personally I am more into the electronic bands that are called Visual Kei. Mainly Hora(solo), Schwarz Stein and Velvet Eden. Schwarz Stein has been compared a lot with the European EBM/Industrial scene, only uhm..more Japanese? Velvet Eden is very dark(try Street of Alice, not the new stuff, sorry Hora!). It has some clear gothic influences, together with an electronic sound. Hora's solo is quite trancy, or atmospheric. I don't really recommend to start with that, even when Hora as a solo artist is probably the greatest thing I discovered in this entire Visual Kei genre. It is just not a good thing to start with. For the typical "Jrock bands". You can try Rentrer en Soi, browse back a few pages for recommendations and such of this band Uhm.. oh and Duel Jewel are pretty good. Try to get their "Lapidary"album. there, those are my recommendations
12.01.2007 - 10:48
Linak
I Own You Bitch
:|

OMG Eddie, he dropped the bomb, I repeat, he dropped TEH B*O*M*B :| *cough*Hora*cough*

I guess we are too late, if only we had gotten to dahling DerRozzengarten on time, he wouldn't have been in such mortal danger, he wouldn't have been tempted to listen to... *holds breath* I can't even type it... to-- Hora :|

*hides*

Heh ^^' anyway deary DerRozzengarten, I'm SO glad you like Malice Mizer like that everyone here loves that band, don't we all? *puppy eyes* it's weird really that you started with Vidoll, I only like I think 3 songs. If I may, I would also like to recommend to you Velvet Eden (Street of Alice, not the other stuff with the baaad keyboardist haha ^^' joking!)

Ok so, about the bands you are gonna try next:

Miyavi just.. rules
BLOOD is nice too although (and this I just came to realize) the singer's voice can get REALLY annoying after a while ('a while' being maybe a couple of months if you listen to them constantly? I don't know, it happened to me )
Moi Dix Mois is just pure awesomeness too ^^

Lareine was the first japanese band I ever heard you know? so I hold a special place for them in my big pink fluffy heart, but from what I've heard, fangirls seem to find them boring I think they disbanded now? not sure

And apart from this whole thing, has anybody heard of MUCC? (Mukku) or something? hah cause I heard like little bits of songs and they weren't that bad, so I'm curious, does someone have songs to share?
----
12.01.2007 - 15:38
Alouqua
Account deleted
Written by Linak on 12.01.2007 at 10:48

And apart from this whole thing, has anybody heard of MUCC? (Mukku) or something? hah cause I heard like little bits of songs and they weren't that bad, so I'm curious, does someone have songs to share?

Well linak, I just have hear one song " 9gatsu 3ka no kokuin" and well I'm not sure if I really like it. I guess I need to hear more songs because I can't make a decision based on just one song.

And I need help, where can I find music of "D'espairsRay"? I just have one album ([coll set]) and I kind of like it but I can't find anything else!
12.01.2007 - 21:38
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Oh I haven't heard that song, out of the little bunch of songs I heard, the one I really liked was called 'Isho' but well, I only heard it once and for like.. 40 seconds? Ugh, I wish I could get a full album, I hate having to download just one song u_u uh, I said download, forbidden word

I can't really help you with that of D'espairsRay, ask Blackgir, he's full of surprises and might have an album or two hah

EDIT:

Mind you, Eddie, you need a cool banner made by me as well hah
----
12.01.2007 - 22:10
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I listened to Velvet Eden's "Street Of Alice", a cute album, the only connection that i could find with the visual kei is probably the clothing and the vocals, everything else is like a darker mirror of depeche mode (these guys seem to like them a lot ) with electrogoth general references, i also noticed familiar with the cure in a song Good album nevertheless, but not something i would fall for since european electrogoth bands like diorama, diary of dreams, later evil's toy, a covenant of thorns, truma pet probably etc do it better But i'm glad, thanks to you Linak and Blackgir, that i discovered that there's actually at least one electrogoth band from Japan!

I know it's pretty weird that i started with Vidoll, but it happened and i'm happy about it since they opened the gates for me for this fabulous scene, V.I.D. is an album i enjoy a lot, with its superb moments and its good ones, a very good one Blood were nice, very good, i don't know why, but i was expecting something greater that what i listened, i don't mean that i didn't like, of course i did, but i was expecting more! They had come for a live show in Athens a few months ago, then i knew them only as a name, now i regret i wasn't present at the show, but back then i wasn't into this scene..

By the way, i listened to Nil by The Gazette.. I kinda feel dissapointed, i was expecting something less american if i can say that and something more special, like "Disorder" and "Madara", i enjoyed the album, but it doesn't have a place in my heart, i hope the new album will be much better than Nil because i totally love the two releases i mentioned above and i don't want to remain in the past of Gazette, without enjoying that much their present and future because i believe they can achieve much more than Nil..

I also listened to go!go!7188's "Tategami" album, i listened a few songs but i couldn't stand it anymore, didn't like it, it was too cheap for my interests and i really didn't like the fact it had female vocals.. What's your opinion on this band people?

I also listened to some songs from Gackt's Mars, L'Arc En Ciel and Hyde's "Faith" but also some songs from Miyavi's "Galyuu" and i found what i listened pretty interesting, i will listen to them more, definitely, i just listened to a few songs for now to get a very general opinion. Moonlight Revival from Phantasmagoria is the first release i listened from this band and it's fabulous indeed, there's a london after midnight feeling also lurking in there! Moi Dix Mois' "Dix Infernal" is a masterpiece, probably this is how Malice Mizer would have sounded like up to an extent had they continued? Atmospheric and powerful, that's what "Dix Infernal" is to my eyes; and i remember i used to call this band something silly or something

Also, i downloaded some fiction and lucifer luscious violenou, interesting music definitely inspired from the 80s death wave, dark wave etc scene and bands likes the darker period of Siouxsie and the Banshes and Xmal Deutschland, a good act, not something great, just good; and by the way, i found a cover on Bauhaus' ""the passion of lovers", a very good cover, it lies hidden though under the name "jyounetsu wa shi to kanojo wa"

What i hate is that i usually find albums i wanna try out in 128 kbps whereas i want 192+ and i don't download some stuff until i find them in the ideal for me bitrate I want to search for Schwarz Stein since i'm into industrial/EBM a lot (one day before i got ill, i spent two and a half hours dancing in the dancefloor of Underworld Club in athens ) One band that is more aggroindustrial rather than jap in its very sound is Despair, i have reviewed them for MS, try them out, they are more aggrassive than the average industrial/aggroindustrial acts of Europe, not j-oriented, but from Japan anyway Klaha's solo works is something i wanna try out as well along with some other bands mentioned above! That's all folks for now
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

12.01.2007 - 23:09
AntaeusM
Elite
Hmph, Linak, I didn't even tell DerRozzengarten to try Hora, I said it wasn't a good begin so he should first try other bands. but fine, I could just as well tell him what to try. hah. Anyway, Rozz, if you are really curious, if you want the trancy album of Hora, try Inner Universe. If you want an atmospheric, more emotional album, try Prominence(Prominence is by the way definitly my favourite album of 2006, as a minor extra note). And on the topic of Hora, Hora is the keyboardist of Schwarz Stein, that's also the main reason why I advice you to try them first. Schwarz Stein is the band that has been formed between Kaya and Hora. Kaya on vocals and Hora as keyboardist/synths. Just try to get their "Artificial Hallucination" or "New Vogue Children" album, they are both masterpieces. I prefer New Vogue Children though. As far as the connection goes between Schwarz Stein and industrial/EBM. Schwarz Stein is definitely danceable, and they could easily play it in clubs. I am not that familar with the European scene, but from what I have heard of the European scene, compared with Schwarz Stein, then I do think Schwarz Stein adds something extra. A lot of the Industrial/EBM acts sounds similar, this scene suffered a bit of the same symptom as black metal has. It is very repetitive, Schwarz Stein is really refreshing then. They are unique. Oh well, just give them a try.

electrogoth is a vague term for me, so I cannot really say what is electrogoth and what isn't. But yeah, I have heard people before sticking that name(or similar names) to Velvet Eden. Another band that is well known as a "goth-band" is Eve of Destiny. The vocalist of this band also owns a goth club in Japan(which quite rare, since goth isn't that popular over there at all). And Közi from Malice Mizer is the guitarist in this band. You can give them a try, they aren't bad..

Yes, Lucifer Luscious Violenou herself is a very big Bauhaus fan, and probably also bands similar to those. The Bauhaus influences are more obvious in her other band, Fiction. I kinda prefer Fiction. Hm, I didn't expect anything less. I didn't know she did two Bauhaus covers, but she is notorious for those covers, so I am very sure she did a good job

And I know so well that you weren't so positive about Moi Dix Mois before. It's good to see your opinion changed

I have only tried Collset from DéspairsRay. so I cannot really help here. I found the album a bit too nu-metallish for my taste. Sure these guys are doing something special, it is just a bit too much out of my book.
15.01.2007 - 16:41
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
@Linak: hahah yeah, the banner, well, Im going to stick with this Tenhi one for a little while longer ^^ but feel free to make me one perhaps I will use it in the near future

I also only have the album coll set (haha who doesnt here xD) by DespairsRay, so I can't you with that, but perhaps I can dig up some of them, hmm *looks around* hmm, take a look here, I think there is something there, Im too lazy to check the threads atm ^^'

Mars is a good release from Gackt, Crescent and Diabolos are really nice too From Miyavi is the only album that I find interesting is Miyavizm, but I have to admit that I didn't thoroughly listened to other releases of him, because at first listen they didnt seem as appealing as Miyavizm.

Go!Go!7188 isnt really for who prefers more hmm well productioned music, but it does has spirit, and it is one of the better known female fronted jrock bands, I bet Linak will like them.

You can also check out Kagrra, Ayabie, Merry, oh well, there are a million of bands xD

Merveilles
29.01.2007 - 20:54
Alouqua
Account deleted
http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2005/main-news/news/ansicht/article/j-rock-sensation-dir-en-grey-in-wacken/
Dir en Grey... W:O:A ...and I'm here in Colombia... I must be damned....:cry:
30.01.2007 - 05:29
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Dude, shut up, you think you have it bad? pff... I'll be in China

And I'll miss IMmortal! Immortal! pff in this case seriously, I don't give a flying damn about Dir en Grey, there are WAY better bands there, you have NO idea how badly I've wanted to see bands like Samael and and... no fair!!! waaaa

I'll go I'll be there if I have to sell Veronica, but I'll be there, because... because it is NOT FAIR! Why aren't there things like that close to where I live!

>.<

just add Sex Machineguns and I'll kill myself, and then have someone take lots of pictures
----
30.01.2007 - 12:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only band what I know are X Japan so I wote for them
I never had hear others and even cant imagine how tahy sounds
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2007 - 21:19
AntaeusM
Elite
Hm, Dir en Grey on Wacken? Maybe a bit misplaced between all the metal acts, but oh well, not really interested to be honest.

Anyway, is anyone here familar with the Japanese darkwave band Aural Vampire? Next week they will perform here in the Netherlands and I am a bit doubting if I should go. I have heard two songs of them now, the opening song and Freeze!!! of the album Vampire Ecstacy. They reminded me a lot of The Birthday Massacre, but then the Japanese version of it. Oh well, I might go, it is only 12 euro after all.

And Kariasakis7, don't vote when you only know one band from the poll and since you can't imagine how they sound, give them a try I am pretty sure you will like Moi Dix Mois.
30.01.2007 - 21:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AntaeusM on 30.01.2007 at 21:19

Hm, Dir en Grey on Wacken? Maybe a bit misplaced between all the metal acts, but oh well, not really interested to be honest.

Anyway, is anyone here familar with the Japanese darkwave band Aural Vampire? Next week they will perform here in the Netherlands and I am a bit doubting if I should go. I have heard two songs of them now, the opening song and Freeze!!! of the album Vampire Ecstacy. They reminded me a lot of The Birthday Massacre, but then the Japanese version of it. Oh well, I might go, it is only 12 euro after all.

And Kariasakis7, don't vote when you only know one band from the poll and since you can't imagine how they sound, give them a try I am pretty sure you will like Moi Dix Mois.

Man but some mambers wote and dont even explain, only vote
But I chacked them in MA and well Moi Dix Mois sound sintersting but there says DOOM and seems I gonna like them, try found mp3

other bands are not in MA
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing