Metal Storm logo
Visual Kei and JPop/Rock Poll

Original post

Posted by Linak, 22.05.2006 - 06:20

(I came across this banner, will credit/remove if necessary)

I've decided to make this a lot more interesting by turning it into a poll, since there are not so many options for voting, I was forced to put together some of the possible answers for example since Due le Quartz and Miyavi share a lot in common (at least one member lol) I put them together, same I did with L'arc en Ciel and HYDE, If you choose to vote for one of these two options please do state on your post wether you were voting for the band, or the solist, I was cLose to doing this with Malice Mizer and Gackt but I guess I'd be getting on a certain mod's nerves ^^'

There are many other bands I would have liked to feature on this poll for example BLOOD, Sex Machineguns and Lareine, just to name a few, but again the lack of space wouldn't let me, anyway I only hope this thread would be a lot more interesting than the past one because of the poll add.

Here is the stuff I had put on the last thread I had made, I will probably be posting the pics later on the thread so enjoy!

OLD THREAD:

Good day world, Linak-sama here!

After having some nice, sweet short (ha!) conversations with Blackgir and Darth Satanious at the 'Moi Dix Moi/Malice Mizer' thread, I decided it was time to have a brand new and specific thread about japanese rock/pop, and the Visual Kei movement! Yes I'm a happy girl right now!

From Wikipedia: (yah we all love wikipedia XD)

Visual Kei, literally "visual type", refers to a movement in J-Rock which started in the 1980s and became widely popular in Japan by the 1990s.

Origins:
Largely the movement is credited to have been started "almost single handedly" by X Japan, however a rising trend of utilizing visual shock to gain membership in the independent scene was well in effect by the time X went major; they may be seen in this sense not as a catalyst for the movement, but a mechanism to involve dominant Japanese popular culture with it. Bands in the early 1990s such as Luna Sea, Zi:Kill, Shazna, and Baiser along with previous bands Buck-Tick and X Japan encouraged a "boom" of this media culture.

Characteristics:
Visual Kei is characterised by bands using dramatic costumes and visual imagery to enhance the band's performance. Within Japan, the fan-base almost solely consists of girls and young women and is marketed strongly to that audience with items such as tradeable stickers, glossy photo-books, picture-postcards of band members and so on. In other countries, the comparatively small quantity of Visual Kei followers is roughly an equal division between male and female youth. Visual Kei is often focused upon in the West as a uniquely Japanese part of the Rock music scene.

Members of Visual Kei bands often wear striking makeup, style their hair in dramatic shapes (reminiscent of "glam metal" bands from the '80s) and wear elaborate costumes. Although the vast majority of the musicians are male, band members will often wear makeup and clothing which would be considered 'feminine' or 'androgynous'. Recently, some bands are returning to the more colourful and "fantastic" image popular 5 or 6 years ago, taking inspiration from computer roleplaying games and anime. The appeal of the costumes to fans is so great that large numbers of girls will cosplay as members of their favourite bands, particularly in Harajuku, at live concerts in Japan, or in North America, Chile, Spain and Australia at anime conventions.

Bands:
Visual Kei bands, being defined primarily by visual style, do not necessarily play a specific type of music. They most often play general J-rock (Luna Sea, Dir en grey) and vocal based pop or light rock (Glay, Gackt).

However, there are also bands playing or influenced by Heavy Metal (Sex Machineguns, Onmyo-Za), Darkwave (Velvet Eden, Schwarz Stein), Industrial rock, Punk rock and various other genres can be found. Taking the genre in a wide sense, most of the bands would be considered to play some kind of "rock" music. Particularly popular in recent years are the projects of Mana; Malice Mizer (now defunct) and Moi dix Mois.

Within the field of Visual Kei several popular movements have arose; the fashion style Gothic Lolita and the musical sub-genres; EroGuro and Angura Kei, which form particular visual styles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Kei

So I totally completely love this genre, for real, not only Malice Mizer, (I'm posting mostly their pictures because my computer is full of them, and I don't really have a lot of pics from other bands, shame on me I know), but there are so many, and I mean SO many bands that could be talked about, and this is what this thread is all about, bands recommendations, post lyrics translations, reviews and a whole lot of sharing and trading! Fanfiction? Why not!

Anything JROCK/VISUALKEI/JPOP related is sure as hell welcome!

Now! Who wants to share?!

I'll start first and offer ANYONE a big huge cyber hug if you can link me to Gazette's Tokyo Shinjuu lyrics translation!

Talk to me people talk to meee, any jrockers out there, this is your mating call bwahaha, come little children and speak up! I wanna see who has some reaaally good music taste over here ne! Oh and I hope Blackgir doesn't get maddy at me ^^' I mean goodie, hontou! (for real!)

Ah yes, one last thing, if you're a geek like me and sometimes post phrases in pretty pretty japanese, be a good sexy-beam and translate onegai! (please!) see how easy that was?!

Alright! *huggles* Post on! </crazyfangirlsqueals>

Poll

Favorite Visual K/JRock/JPop Band/Singer out of these:

X Japan
Dir en Grey
Other, name it
Moi Dix Mois
Gackt
Malice Mizer
Gazette
L'arc en Ciel/HYDE
Due le Quartz/Miyavi

Total votes: 56
07.09.2007 - 15:12
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I'd be surprised if that man wasn't stalked at all, but I guess this is how us fangirls work out in the end huh? (And by 'us' I don't necessarily mean 'you' heh ^^;), but well, in the end I am really curious how chinese fangirls behave at a show like this. Because they usually are like... robots you know? hah.
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
07.09.2007 - 20:11
Deus Ex Machina
Yeah, i know fangirls do. Though it is kind of baaad.
I fangirl A LOT.But the fact that they stalked him made me a little bit uneasy.
I imagined a pack of rabid fangirls around every corner. If i did it I'd go alone and bump into him by "accident" (Oh my God, are you Miyavi? What a coincidence! )

Aaaaaanyway, i know you'll have fun so share in details. I'm also really curious about Chinese fangirls and their behavior because i know they must be different at shows than European audience.
07.09.2007 - 23:22
Chaosgoat
I voted other because I am kinda confused.

if this poll is bands from Japan my vote goes to Sigh (one of my favorit blackmetal bands).

However If this poll is about Visual Kei bands, Sex Machineguns.

so either way other works for me.
17.03.2008 - 18:03
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Hold on to your knickers ladies, I am going to see L'arc en Ciel next month, front row, 350 USD... god I'm a fangirl indeed.
----
28.05.2008 - 05:36
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
$350? I don't think they are worth that amount, at least for me. xD

Has anyone heard Mana's new adquisition?

She sings and plays cello in her songs. Her voice is kind of Popish.
----
Christless
29.05.2008 - 12:20
Linak
I Own You Bitch
no way, link link come on!
----
29.05.2008 - 15:15
Hangar XVIII
My last lead singer in my band was a huge J-Rock/J-Pop fangirl. It didn't match our image very well.
I still have a huge crush on her. xD
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
30.05.2008 - 07:50
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Linak on 29.05.2008 at 12:20

no way, link link come on!

Damn, I forgot to post her name. : She is Kanon Wakeshima. It is a mixture of cello and pseudo-Gothic keyboards. It is an interesting mix. Sounds a little like a softer cello J-version of Emilie Autumn without the Industrial side.

Here's a link for her PV "Still Doll":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKJN-f1FVRE

Tell me what you think about her. xD
----
Christless
09.11.2008 - 04:58
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I need recommendations, please.

I want to know about bands very similar to the sound of Moi Dix Mois/Malice Mizer, in the sense of that gothic/symphonic touch
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
09.11.2008 - 09:49
Hrothdane
I'm going to go with Galneryus. They might be much more casual in look now, but their over-the-top visual kei outfits are my favorite and I like their music the best
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
09.11.2008 - 13:16
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by The Alchemist on 09.11.2008 at 04:58

I need recommendations, please.

I want to know about bands very similar to the sound of Moi Dix Mois/Malice Mizer, in the sense of that gothic/symphonic touch

You can always try HIZAKI Grace Project. (In order to take this band seriously, I'd avoid watching any PVs you might find, it might distract you from the very good quality of the music.)

I'd also recommend on the whole gothic/symphonic and a little bit industrial side although not so metal band Velvet Eden, which is one of my favorites.

Oh, I must have edited this post at least 4 times now, anyhow, if you can find anything, the band Versailles also falls on the category you're searching for, I haven't heard a lot but it sounds Moi Dix Mois-ish.
----
11.11.2008 - 05:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Anyone here likes MUCC?
I've seen some videos and have a couple songs...
Can someone give me a url or sth. to download it? It's so hard to find via eMule.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2008 - 05:22
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Thanks for your recommendations Linak, I liked Versailles. I'll check for the other ones later.
A good way to find new music is last.fm, I've discovered quite good VK bands there.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
29.11.2008 - 14:20
Metalbound7
X Japan for me, by far. When i listened to other J-Rock/ Visual Key bands i was like WTF? , and then when i watched the music videos i was like WTF!
30.11.2008 - 00:43
Hrothdane
Written by Metalbound7 on 29.11.2008 at 14:20

X Japan for me, by far. When i listened to other J-Rock/ Visual Key bands i was like WTF? , and then when i watched the music videos i was like WTF!

LOL I watched X Japan's video for Celebration and had that exact same reaction lol...
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
30.11.2008 - 23:16
Metalbound7
Written by Hrothdane on 30.11.2008 at 00:43

Written by Metalbound7 on 29.11.2008 at 14:20

LOL I watched X Japan's video for Celebration and had that exact same reaction lol...

Well yeah, X-Japan videos and look are really weird too but they have good music, The feeling in songs like Endless rain and Crucify My Love is just great.

And Damn Right! WTF with Celebration Video! The best part of that video is the Magician guy with the crystal ball!!?
09.12.2008 - 06:10
iaberis
Advice Troll
Dir En Grey for me... quite weird stuff
----
Bitch! Please
30.01.2009 - 13:58
Linak
I Own You Bitch
What the hell is wrong with Dir en Grey??? I just checked their official website for updates and I find the information for their 2009 Japanese tour 'Feast of V Senses' and turns out they have two dates in Osaka and Tokyo that are 'Male Only'....

And I quote, from their official website:

Only male can attend two MALE only LIVE shows in Tokyo and Osaka. We will confirm your sex at main entrance, therefore you will need to bring a public certificate including health insurance card, pension book, passport, resident's card. In some cases, we will conduct careful checking. If we cannot check your sex on the day, we may have to refuse your attendance.

I repeat, what the HELL is wrong with Dir en Grey?... no, what the hell is wrong with the people who agreed to go ahead with this two shows?
----
11.02.2009 - 10:49
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
That is indeed one of the most weirdest thing I have seen yet to be done and agreed by by a band... That must piss off a pretty huge part of their fanbase, unbelievable. No reason whatsoever can justify that decision.
11.02.2009 - 13:19
Linak
I Own You Bitch
No reason? I at least, can think of a very, very good reason. Mwah.
----
29.03.2009 - 15:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Holy shit Miyavi is THE FUCKING PWNZOR... i've rarely seen someone with such a good guitar technique, plus he also does vocals..
30.03.2009 - 14:20
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for Moi Dix Moi, although it was close with Dir En Grey (and I have to admit I don't know all of the bands that are listed here )
03.04.2009 - 20:52
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@Diabolos: Well you're on your way, brother, to know all of these amazing bands, your vote for Moi Dix Mois has been counted in and your almost-vote for Dir En Grey has been noted, we do hope to read more from you in this thread that has been dead for quite a while and every post is more than welcome. So how did you get to know Moi Dix Mois? Its quite an interesting find if you ask me.
----
03.04.2009 - 23:53
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I thought Moi Dix Moi was one of the more famous bands that are mentioned here but as I said I don't know too much about that genre . I heard of Moi Dix Moi from a friend of mine who likes them very much and I thought I give them a try (it was actually the first band that I heard of that genre). I think I will download some songs of the bands I don't know, because I'm also very interested in Animes and I like Japan in general and so it's a shame if I don't know the music that is played in Japan . I also know Gallhammer and Maximum The Hormone from japan (at least I think they are from Japan), but I don't really like them
21.08.2009 - 17:26
Njord
njord
Dir en Grey are my favourite along with D'espairsRay, but X Japan are the main reference of visual, so despite they didn't have my vote here, I agree with the result
03.09.2009 - 21:34
Panterica
I voted for Gazette, i don't know much the others, but Gazette are great! They are a very cool combination of metal/punk/visual and I like them alot. their album NIL is very good! I also like Miyavi but more as a guitarist than a singer.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
24.02.2010 - 20:02
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I could easily go for Moi Dix Mois or Malice Mizer, but i also like Kisaki Grace Project and Versailles, but i wouldn't go for them either, Gazette are pretty cool, although they have a kind of more 'American' sound and attitude nowadays, recently i discovered Lacroix Despheres who have a more orchestral sound, heavy still though and i can say i loved them. Dolly are pretty cool still, but in the end i will vote for Blood
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
03.03.2010 - 13:16
Linak
I Own You Bitch
You seriously vote for Blood? I think they're pretty mediocre compared to some of the bigger names on the list, I saw them live a couple of times when they were into touring Mexico some years ago and they were pretty lame, alright I'll give it to them that the sound wasn't excellent but the lack of energy they had was contagious, I went to sit down at the back and waited for it to end, there went my 200 pesos.
----
12.10.2010 - 15:08
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Yeah, i voted for them, i'm a heretic GPKism is awesome too, although more electro-goth stuff, but they do sound so awesome that they make many european bands shit their pants electro-goth of the new millenium Although i find funny the name Gothic Prince Ken xD
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.10.2010 - 20:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
My faves are Sex Machineguns, but they arent on the list. lol Out of the bands on the list, definitely X Japan. xD