Metal Storm logo
Deathcore

08.03.2007 - 17:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I hadn't made a topic in a while and I was just listening to Job For A Cowboy and The Faceless and I was wondering what everyone thought about this new breed of Death/Metalcore mix known as "Deathcore?" I am still in the middle as to whether or not I like it, as they often present mosh-friendly music, but a lot of their music sounds similar. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this genre? Bands would be:

Through the Eyes of the Dead
Beneath the Massace
The Faceless
From A Second Story Window
Glass Casket
Animosity
Job For A Cowboy
----
The force will be with you, always.
08.03.2007 - 18:55
Mega-Slayer
My friend Jesse is really into Glass Casket and Job For A Cowboy,heard a song from each of them its not bad,probably the best to come out of metalcore.There are some growls,heavy riffing and even blast-beats,but I cant get past the hardcore vocals.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
08.03.2007 - 22:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
One of my favorite deathcore bands is The Acacia Strain. They aren't as fast as most other deathcore bands, but they just might be the angriest. Like most deathcore, their music is simple and recorded very well, but they stand out for me because they let their influences show.

I dislike this music scene and I especially hate most of the hardcore wannabe fans, but there are some bands, like The Acacia Strain, that I enjoy listening to every once in a while. I have a hard time making up my mind on some bands because certain groups are fucking gay live, but are good on cd, and vice versa.
09.03.2007 - 05:07
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
I hate deathcore. Period.

Sorry for such negativity, but I've heard many of the bands in this genre, and none of them have impressed me the slightest bit. It is completely watered-down death metal mixed with breakdowns and occasional hardcore vocals (and at times the annoying Job for a Cowboy "breeeeeee" squeal), and it pisses the hell out of me. I'll take my metalcore (the little I actually enjoy) and death metal separate please, because so far the mixture has proven to just be a shitty conglomeration of unoriginal, third-rate metal. I'd go with God Forbid or Psycroptic over Job for a Cowboy or Through the Eyes of the Dead anyday.

And it doesn't help that so many scenester faggots are getting all excited up in their girls' jeans over these bands. "JoB fOr a cOwBoY aNd sUiCiDe SiLeNcE aRe AmAzInG dEaTh MeTaL bAndS! gRiNd GoRe Br000000tAl LoLz" I can always count on them for a good laugh.
09.03.2007 - 07:59
Eternal Flames
Written by Guest on 09.03.2007 at 05:07

I hate deathcore. Period.

Sorry for such negativity, but I've heard many of the bands in this genre, and none of them have impressed me the slightest bit. It is completely watered-down death metal mixed with breakdowns and occasional hardcore vocals (and at times the annoying Job for a Cowboy "breeeeeee" squeal), and it pisses the hell out of me. I'll take my metalcore (the little I actually enjoy) and death metal separate please, because so far the mixture has proven to just be a shitty conglomeration of unoriginal, third-rate metal. I'd go with God Forbid or Psycroptic over Job for a Cowboy or Through the Eyes of the Dead anyday.

And it doesn't help that so many scenester faggots are getting all excited up in their girls' jeans over these bands. "JoB fOr a cOwBoY aNd sUiCiDe SiLeNcE aRe AmAzInG dEaTh MeTaL bAndS! gRiNd GoRe Br000000tAl LoLz" I can always count on them for a good laugh.

I don't think I could have said it better myself. I'm maybe not as negative as yourself towards the genre, however I'm not a very big fan of it. I've never liked metalcore simply for the angsty type vocals and I'm rather picky when it comes to my death metal too (it usually has to have some originality or technicality to it in order for me to like it). So therefore, when it comes to mixing the two genres in one I just can't find myself enjoying it very much. For me, the majority of it sounds alike. There are a few songs that I may enjoy here and there but it's usually just parts of a certain song. I don't find myself enjoying it often in it's entirety.
09.03.2007 - 23:43
Stuff1056
Account deleted
I enjoy Beneath The Massacre. If you consider them Deathcore that is.
18.07.2007 - 02:54
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I like Deathcore, Death with Metalcore in some cases is a good combination: Despised Icon, Burning Skies, The Red Chord (deathcore i think, at least has some death and metalcore elements combined) and the bands refered in the first post (except Glass Casket and The Faceless, i've never heard any music from them) are all excellent bands. Beneath The Massacre is more Grindcore than Deathcore, i think.
But my favorite Deathcore band is All Shall Perish! Does anyone know them?
18.07.2007 - 05:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Eh, I have heard only some bands from this genre, and I have for the most part been bored by it. I listened to some Job For A Cowboy, and they had some good riffage and vocals, but they kind of drag....and drag...and drag.....eh. I also noticed a distinct lack of solos.

Through the eyes of the Dead just annoy the shit outa me. I can't stanf them...AT ALL.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.07.2007 - 06:47
Stigmatized
Deathcore is lame IMO. Particularly JFAC, who annoys me to no end. They were good live, I'll give them that, but their sound is just unappealing. I saw some other Deathcore bands live and they weren't very good and every deathcore album I hear, I dislike.
19.07.2007 - 01:48
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Hmmm maybe As Blood Runs Black are deathcore im not sure all i know is they fucking rule.
19.07.2007 - 15:54
Hyvaarin
I despise bree vocals, so I'm obviously not a fan of deathcore. It also annoys me that so many of its fans make such a huge deal of their "brutal" taste.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
25.07.2007 - 01:00
Remus
I have never listened to any of the bands listed in the first post but i did listen to "The Black Dahlia Murder" and "As Blood Runs Black" and i think these two bands fall comfortably in the deathcore category. The latter did not really impress me but The Black Dahlia is pretty good. Nice riffs, excellent drumming and not a single trace of clean vocals. I'll have to listen to the other bands before i'll be able to say for sure wether i like this genre.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
25.07.2007 - 01:39
AlGore
Account deleted
I've seen Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, and The Red Chord live. I'm actually into JFAC although the massive hate surrounding them makes me not want to admit it. Also, what I believe to be a misconception with the "breee" or "pig squeal" is that people seem to think that only these deathcore/metalcore bands are doing it and are the only that ever have (according to many people I have talked to about this). But actually grindcore bands like Gorerotted were doing these vocals in 1998 on 'Mutilated in Minutes' and I've heard that Disgorge was doing it in '92. Although these vocals are annoying to some I happen to like them and never really understood what people had a problem with.
28.07.2007 - 00:34
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm a metal fan that likes almost all subgenres of metal, with the exception of numetal OF COURSE. I think there are some good death core bands and some really shitty ones. Job For A Cowboy was kinda shitty on their first cd, Doom, but their new album rocks. They have matured as a band and have lost a lot of that hardcore feel, as well as the "bree"/pigsqueal vocals. I would also recomend The Faceless. This band is pretty good and technical.
28.07.2007 - 15:51
ErabatukII
Damn I thought this was going to be about the late 80s early 90s grind/hardcore band Deathcore. In particular their 1990 release Spontaneous Combustion. Well ok I didn't but I could only have hoped. I'm afraid I haven't listened to much of this style, and what I have heard hasn't been too inspiring. Alot of the time it's the actual tone of the guitars and the production that puts me off. And maybe the image too. A tad contrived. However the occasional riff and general song structures are usually fine, though those breakdowns are predictable. As far as metalcore it really begins and ends with Botch for me.
----
16.09.2008 - 13:56
Bloodfrozen
I can't really say that the bands mentioned in the first post are really "just" deathcore. (i don't know any music from FASSW) Well except for Through the Eyes of the Dead. Most of them started out just because it was a huge scene in the USA, but in my opinion have really matured. Most of the bands mentioned are more something experimental, more technical then ordinary deathcore. Deathcore most of the time is just a mix of low vocals, high vocals, high speed parts and breakdowns with an occasional pig squeel in between (With the exception of Despised Icon who seem to fill half a song with pig squeels, and the rest with breakdowns, Quarantine). These bands mentoined here, seem to deviate from that formula. The more easy deathcore will be like As Blood Runs Black, Despised Icon, Whitechapel and Suffokate. Even the newest All Shall Perish isn't really deathcore anymore in my opinion... I myself really like Deathcore, especially if they play great live. There's always a good vibe hanging around at hardcore shows, except when the hardcore dancers come out acting like they belong in some mental institution...
----
Bloodfrozen
Under the rise of the shining moon
Bloodfrozen
Through the night I'll come for you
To take your soul to hell
19.09.2008 - 00:39
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
suicide silence is a pretty decent band and as far as job for a cowboy goes i think there good enough to now be counted as sucky
19.09.2008 - 19:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
The only deathcore band i've come across to enjoy is Beneath the Massacre. They have a different, interesting sound and they have more to offer than just breakdowns or boring riffs. I agree with the people on this topic saying that deathcore is just watered down dm.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
19.09.2008 - 23:34
ß
Problem?
I wouldn't consider BTM deathcore.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.09.2008 - 00:26
brapp32
Through the Eyes of the Dead are pretty good. I saw them live and they sounded just like their CDs. Suicide Silence,The Acacia Strain,and As Blood Runs Black are pretty good as well.
20.09.2008 - 07:08
Number Juan
I foresee the genre becoming the new nu-metal, with traditional fans despising it and the core (pun intended) scene of the genre helping it grow.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
11.12.2008 - 17:36
Lord TJ
The only Deathcore I know of is 3 of Suicide Silence's songs which arent really that bad, and one song of Through The Eyes Of The Dead, I think the song was called "Failure in the Flesh". The only difference I can really spot is that the vocals are different.

Winds Of Plague has a faggot wigger as a vocalist, lookup "The Impaler" on youtube.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
12.12.2008 - 06:59
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Do any of you deathcore fans like Budweiser? No really, deathcore seems like watered down death metal.
22.03.2009 - 23:07
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.12.2008 at 06:59

Do any of you deathcore fans like Budweiser? No really, deathcore seems like watered down death metal.

lmao! that's actually kind of true.

......i'm sort of getting into the genre very verryy slowly. I like Carnifex and I like Burning The Masses. Both good bands of Deathcore whom I've heard and liked. It's very 'scene-ish' but because it has such heavy Death Metal influence, I like it. I'll check out the other bands listed.
23.03.2009 - 00:02
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Ugh, I can't stand deathcore. It definitely doesn't help when Cryptopsy changed their sound to deathcore on "The Unspoken King". I listened to this deathcore band called Waking the Cadaver just to see what the genre sounded like. (I found the song in question here.) It basically consisted of way too many breakdowns, poorly performed blastbeats, and the most annoying "br00tal" vocals I have ever heard in my entire life. These are the actual lyrics to one of their songs:

Tonight this cunt will pay.
My dick will beat her face.
Her life and her cunt are mine.
This slut shall now see.

This was all I heard:

BREEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEE
BREEEEEEEEEE
BREEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEE

Is there something of value that I'm missing when I listened to this? If so, I can't find it anywhere.
23.03.2009 - 00:17
DayFly
What exactly is Deathcore? Not that it is likely to appeal to me in any way, but the only thing I know about the genre is that it is somewhat trendy to hate.
23.03.2009 - 02:18
The Butt
Account deleted
Some deathcore is alright.

Job For A Cowboy is amazing (at least their Doom EP anyways, haven't heard Genesis)...
Animosity is alright
The Red Chord is great as well (although I've only heard Clients).
23.03.2009 - 05:29
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Emmure is a deathcore band that I hear a lot when I'm with my friends...I find them to be pretty bland...I don't really like the idea of metalcore elements being in death metal anyway...

lol @ Insineratehymn...my thoughts exactly...Emmure has the same kinda lyrics...about 'bitches paying' and 'this cunt will die' and what not...their lyrical content is basically all about their past girlfriends and taking an immature revenge but it just sounds like some animal dying...
23.03.2009 - 22:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.03.2009 at 05:29

lol @ Insineratehymn...my thoughts exactly...Emmure has the same kinda lyrics...about 'bitches paying' and 'this cunt will die' and what not...their lyrical content is basically all about their past girlfriends and taking an immature revenge but it just sounds like some animal dying...

Which is just as lame as Cannibal Corpse's lyrics if you ask me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2009 - 05:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Eh, perhaps, but Cannibal Corpse is still influential in the Metal realm and it's loyal followers. You can't take credit away from competent musicians such as Jack Owen, Pat O'Brien and Alex Webster.

As for my own feelings on it, well, some of it seems a little catchy at first and you think "wow, this band has potential." Then they play this shitty breakdown that they seem to play in all of their songs, and every song sounds that same. Show me something more diverse and i'll consider it, as can be seen in unique cases for Metalcore (Shadows Fall, Old Darkest Hour, God Forbid, etc)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.