Metal Storm logo
Deathcore

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 08.03.2007 - 17:58
I hadn't made a topic in a while and I was just listening to Job For A Cowboy and The Faceless and I was wondering what everyone thought about this new breed of Death/Metalcore mix known as "Deathcore?" I am still in the middle as to whether or not I like it, as they often present mosh-friendly music, but a lot of their music sounds similar. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this genre? Bands would be:

Through the Eyes of the Dead
Beneath the Massace
The Faceless
From A Second Story Window
Glass Casket
Animosity
Job For A Cowboy
24.03.2009 - 14:25
brapp32
Every genre of music is gonna sound the "same" in small samples. There is gonna be similarities because that's what makes them part of that genre. If you gave it more of a chance you may find a few diamonds in the rough. As for the lyrics in the music who really cares. I realized a long time ago that the sound of the music is much more important then what it's about.
24.03.2009 - 19:15
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2009 at 22:48

Written by Guest on 23.03.2009 at 05:29

lol @ Insineratehymn...my thoughts exactly...Emmure has the same kinda lyrics...about 'bitches paying' and 'this cunt will die' and what not...their lyrical content is basically all about their past girlfriends and taking an immature revenge but it just sounds like some animal dying...

Which is just as lame as Cannibal Corpse's lyrics if you ask me.

Yes but Cannibal Corpse can do more then breakdowns, chugga chugga riffs, and HOR HOR BREE BREE!
24.03.2009 - 19:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.03.2009 at 19:15

lol @ Insineratehymn...my thoughts exactly...Emmure has the same kinda lyrics...about 'bitches paying' and 'this cunt will die' and what not...their lyrical content is basically all about their past girlfriends and taking an immature revenge but it just sounds like some animal dying...

Yes but Cannibal Corpse can do more then breakdowns, chugga chugga riffs, and BREEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Actually I find Cannibal Bore much more boring than most deathcore bands. At least they have a lot more variation to their music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2009 - 19:19
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2009 at 19:16

Yes but Cannibal Corpse can do more then breakdowns, chugga chugga riffs, and BREEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEEE BREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Actually I find Cannibal Bore much more boring than most deathcore bands. At least they have a lot more variation to their music.

Yes chugga riffs and breakdowns makes a deathcore band varied, right >_>. And Cannibla Corpse bore me too, but still their music is 80x more complex then any deathcore band I've seen. Besides the Faceless, but I don't think it's fare to call them full on deathcore.
24.03.2009 - 19:29
ForeverDarkWoods
Deathcore is not a genre I enjoy at all... I guess I'm just part of the huge portion of metalheads that hate this style for whatever reason they might have. I tend to keep my reasons for hating stuff as simple as I can. Quite simply, I have not found a single deathcore band that hasn't had at least one of the following impressions on me:

1. This is just generic.... I don't see the appeal. (most bands)
2. Damn those breakdowns are annoying, and they have to do them all the time. (most bands except for a few which manage to use them a bit more tastefully)
3. This is just fucking ultra gay. (Waking the Cadaver, Iwrestledabearonce, Abigail Williams, "The Unspoken King")
4. This has some potential, but they don't seem to be willing to utilize it properly. (Glass Casket, The Red Chord, The Black Dahlia Murder, some Whitechapel, some Despised Icon)
5. Damn those vocals are awful... (most bands)
6. I can think of soooo many real dm bands that do this much better. (pretty much all bands, except for those that do stuff that no real dm band would ever consider doing since it's so gay)

All I can say is that these impressions isn't something I look for when I listen to music, and therefore I'm gonna let the deathcore fad pass while just not listening to it. One can hope that in a bunch of years there won't be that many bands left playing it. Besides, as long as nothing really drastic happens, there will still be real dm bands to listen to instead. I'm not gonna try to get into this, but I'm not gonna sit all day and relentlessly bash it either. It's just another style I don't like and since I'm not forced to listen to it I might as well not care about it.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
24.03.2009 - 20:23
Kranium Decay
Account deleted
This is the first fusion and the most faggy genre which insults Death Metal. You can hear the latest album of Cryptopsy-The unspoken King for instance. A legend death metal like that selling their ass out! Darn!

...m/...
24.03.2009 - 22:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I don't know if they were on Crack or what but....Cryptopsy really disapointed with the last one lol.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.03.2009 - 03:37
ringofedwin
Account deleted
I would love to see emmure play frantic disembowelment than u can talk.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2009 at 19:16

27.03.2009 - 01:43
Gigginova
Account deleted
Damn! Beneath The Massacre have such an aggressive sound, i love it!

I'm starting to love this genre more and more, even if it is 'scene'.
08.04.2009 - 02:26
Gigginova
Account deleted
Check out this band, i think i like them

It's the more experimental Deathcore from California:

http://www.myspace.com/agatg
08.04.2009 - 15:29
-Morbid-
I like some deathcore bands a lot, but most of it I find fairly generic. Depending on my mood though, I can still enjoy the generic ones occasionally.

Some of the deathcore bands I actually like:
All Shall Perish
Job For a Cowboy (Doom EP)
Hereafter an Odyssey
Arsonists Get All the Girls
As Blood Runs Black
The Red Chord
Killwhitneydead
From the Shallows
Sons of Azrael
Invocation of Nehek
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza

Personally I don't feel that The Faceless are very deathcore, especially not on their second album (which is fucking excellent btw), but I suggest checking them out for anyone who hasn't, whether you are a fan of deathcore or not.

I wouldn't call Beneath the Massacre deathcore at all, though.

I find Emmure to be one of the worst examples of deathcore. Unfortunately I bought "Goodbye to the Gallows" on someone's recommendation, very simple stereotype chugga chugga deathcore, although it does have an ok sound. The "kill the bitch" style revenge lyrics are immature, but in the serious kind of way, like they are trying to be bad ass or br00tal (unlike say... Killwhitneydead where they are more lighthearted and less serious). Also, the clean vocals are so fucking terrible that it's almost funny. They really push the album from "generic deathcore that might work as background music" straight into the junk bin.
22.04.2009 - 18:33
brapp32
I just went to the new England metal festival and saw a band called catelpsy who were pretty good. They were a real cool group of guys espically the lead singer. Oceano was pretty good too. All shall perish was great. Emmure and acacia strain really had the people moving. Whitechapel also put on a good show.
22.04.2009 - 19:30
Biedrik
I think that the problem with deathcore is that it waters down normal death metal, and fails to replace the lost agression with anything good. I look to melodic death as an example of what should be done. Yes, the agression is gone. But there are some really cool melodies and riffs. If deathcore actually added something to replace the agression that's lost, I'd enjoy it. But until then, I'll just go back to enjoying real death metal such as Vader.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
23.04.2009 - 04:10
Lord_Regnier
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 24.03.2009 at 19:29

Deathcore is not a genre I enjoy at all... I guess I'm just part of the huge portion of metalheads that hate this style for whatever reason they might have. I tend to keep my reasons for hating stuff as simple as I can. Quite simply, I have not found a single deathcore band that hasn't had at least one of the following impressions on me:

1. This is just generic.... I don't see the appeal. (most bands)
2. Damn those breakdowns are annoying, and they have to do them all the time. (most bands except for a few which manage to use them a bit more tastefully)
3. This is just fucking ultra gay. (Waking the Cadaver, Iwrestledabearonce, Abigail Williams, "The Unspoken King")
4. This has some potential, but they don't seem to be willing to utilize it properly. (Glass Casket, The Red Chord, The Black Dahlia Murder, some Whitechapel, some Despised Icon)
5. Damn those vocals are awful... (most bands)
6. I can think of soooo many real dm bands that do this much better. (pretty much all bands, except for those that do stuff that no real dm band would ever consider doing since it's so gay)

Your post pretty much summarizes my own impressions on Deathcore and the reasons why I can't stand this genre at all.

Especially this part: "Damn those vocals are awful". I hate every kind of 'modern metal', first and foremost because of vocals. Everything that has -core in the name has vocals that make me want to kill myself. They're simply bloody awful.

I like many metal genres: Black (melodic, raw, atmospheric, symphonic), Death (melodic + a few technical DM bands), Thrash, Power/speed, a bit of Progmetal, classic heavy metal, etc. However, I'm an old school metalhead, if you know what I mean. I don't enjoy anything that can be labeled as 'modern metal', be it nu-metal, metalcore, hardcore, deathcore or whatever. I don't dismiss it because it's modern and I want to stay 'tr00'. I dismiss it because I dislike the sound/production (it sounds fucking gay, indeed), I hate vocals in a way that is beyond what can be described with words, and most bands suck major ass musically. Also, they can't write a song that has any flow or progression (the breakdowns break the tempo all the time). Ah, and yes, it doesn't have any feeling, absolutely emotionless.
And lots of bands have retarded names too.

'Modern Metal' is in general pure suckage, from my point of view. Or maybe I'm too old for this kind of stuff...lol

I enjoy lots of metal albums that have been released in the recent years, but they all belong to what we could call 'traditional metal genres'.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.04.2009 - 00:17
brapp32
How can you say that there is no feeling or emotion in the music. If it's not your thing I understand. But the feeling and emotion and energy is what makes the music. That's the main reason I listen to it.
28.04.2009 - 02:33
GULCH OF ROT
Written by -Morbid- on 08.04.2009 at 15:29

I like some deathcore bands a lot, but most of it I find fairly generic. Depending on my mood though, I can still enjoy the generic ones occasionally.

Some of the deathcore bands I actually like:
All Shall Perish
Job For a Cowboy (Doom EP)
Hereafter an Odyssey
Arsonists Get All the Girls
As Blood Runs Black
The Red Chord
Killwhitneydead
From the Shallows
Sons of Azrael
Invocation of Nehek
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza

Personally I don't feel that The Faceless are very deathcore, especially not on their second album (which is fucking excellent btw), but I suggest checking them out for anyone who hasn't, whether you are a fan of deathcore or not.

I wouldn't call Beneath the Massacre deathcore at all, though.

I find Emmure to be one of the worst examples of deathcore. Unfortunately I bought "Goodbye to the Gallows" on someone's recommendation, very simple stereotype chugga chugga deathcore, although it does have an ok sound. The "kill the bitch" style revenge lyrics are immature, but in the serious kind of way, like they are trying to be bad ass or br00tal (unlike say... Killwhitneydead where they are more lighthearted and less serious). Also, the clean vocals are so fucking terrible that it's almost funny. They really push the album from "generic deathcore that might work as background music" straight into the junk bin.

I agree with what you are saying except the black dahlia murder is melodic death metal they sound exactly like in thy dreams
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
28.04.2009 - 12:58
-Morbid-
Written by GULCH OF ROT on 28.04.2009 at 02:33

I agree with what you are saying except the black dahlia murder is melodic death metal they sound exactly like in thy dreams

I didn't say anything about The Black Dahlia Murder, but yeah I agree they aren't deathcore, although I'm not completely sure what I would classify them as.
28.04.2009 - 21:05
GULCH OF ROT
Written by -Morbid- on 28.04.2009 at 12:58

Written by GULCH OF ROT on 28.04.2009 at 02:33

I didn't say anything about The Black Dahlia Murder, but yeah I agree they aren't deathcore, although I'm not completely sure what I would classify them as.

Have you ever herd In Thy Dreams? If not you should check them out. There are for fans of At The Gates, In Flames (early work) and Dark Tranquility. I was very surprised that they do not have a home here on metal storm web site.
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
29.04.2009 - 00:42
Zombie, M.D.
I don't hate Deathcore nearly as much as I hate the whole crowd that is into it. The genre itself isn't unbearable. I'd still listen to some crap like Waking the Cadaver over flowery power metal. The big problem with it as a genre is complete over saturation. Talk about beating a dead horse...I'm so sick of the blatant abuse of breakdowns.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
29.04.2009 - 00:52
FOOCK Nam
I like Abigails Williams, love their deathcore mixed with double bass drum and keyboard.
22.06.2009 - 03:19
Doomed
Account deleted
For me i like deathcore ...but the thing is that there are a very good band and a very bad bands...
and nothing between them
for example Thorugh the eyes of the dead's "Malice" is one a hell album u have 2 liten 2 this album
this one of the best deathcore bands and there are also bands like ...all sahll perish , winds of plague , veil of maya , job for a cowboy ......these band are great
but there are band such ...emmure and bring me the horizon (the last album) they are the worst deathcore examples in the whole history of death metal
so deathcore it's a good genre but u have 2 choose the right bands...that's wt i think
01.07.2009 - 02:52
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Hmmm what little deathcore I've heard hasn't been too good, for me it HAS to be technical....but I downloaded Plantery Duality by The Faceless and I really like it! It's alot more technical than I thought it would be which was nicely suprising The song Prison Born is awesome, the intro is just so fast I love it !
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
01.07.2009 - 14:10
-Morbid-
Written by Necrogeddon on 01.07.2009 at 02:52

Hmmm what little deathcore I've heard hasn't been too good, for me it HAS to be technical....but I downloaded Plantery Duality by The Faceless and I really like it! It's alot more technical than I thought it would be which was nicely suprising The song Prison Born is awesome, the intro is just so fast I love it !

The Faceless isn't really deathcore, but they tend to get labeled as such. If you liked Planetary Duality you should check out their first album, Akeldama, as well. It's not quite as focused but it experiments with some various sounds, most of them working out pretty well.
29.07.2009 - 16:47
GamlaSonn
The deathcore vocals and breakdowns are the biggest turnoffs for me
30.07.2009 - 07:35
wormdrink414
Elite
I don't know what they call the "Queee Queee Queeee" sound that so many deathcore vocalists make, but I fucking hate it. There is nothing appealing about that sound, nor is there with "breaking down" (a term that generally has negative connotations) and dressing like emos. Let's face it, deathcore is the new nu/glam type of marketable metal. It's fake, uninteresting, insulting and, most importantly, very hard to even slightly enjoy. It's a disease birthed by hardcore music and fed by the popularity of screamo-emo and sold by pseudo-metal imagery on the album covers (ala the Job for a Cowboy upside-down pentagram ). But, like nu metal, this too shall pass and the "good" and "authentic" forms metal will come out unscathed!
30.07.2009 - 10:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Though i never listened to any such a band, i thought exactly the same as lailaihei414 does, since the very first time i just heard the term "deathcore"...think it was yesterday...?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.11.2010 - 03:15
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
I hate deathcore as a genre, can't stand it. but people should check out the band called Deathcore. an old school grindcore/death metal band. actually quite cool stuff. unfortunately they had no idea what their name would become the label for...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
29.11.2010 - 23:12
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
I'm totally fed up with this genre, even if I have to admit that bands like The Faceless or Whitechapel are really impressive. But now I think deathcore turn around, no new sounds, even the addition of keyboards in some bands (which can be very interesting, like Born Of Osiris...) isn't suficiente to renew the genre IMO.
30.11.2010 - 07:26
miniradman
I am a huge fan of Deathcore and its the first extreme genre I started listening to. If it wasen't far bands such as suicide silence I would not be into black or death metal either.
----
Who's awesome

Your awesome!
30.11.2010 - 13:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I will admit that I havent heard that many deathcore bands, but the ones I have heard, have all been awful. Job For A Cowboy are terrible, although Waking The Cadaver somehow manage to be far worse, and are definitely within the top 10 worst bands Ive ever had the misfortune to listen to. They're like some ultra br00tal gore/pornogrind band (the vast majority of whom I also find unlistenable) with breakdowns, which is just not my thing at all. lol Black Dahlia Murder are tolerable for me, and they have some decent ideas music wise, its just not executed in a way that really appeals to me... :\

I actually had the misfortune of seeing Job For A Cowboy live once when they were supporting Megadeth, and I nearly fell asleep 3 times during their set!