Are you with or against marriage ?

With
Against

Total votes: 92
09.03.2007 - 02:05
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Marriage.

This simple word means so many things. Here is wikipedia's definition of marriage :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

But I am sure that all of you have your own definition of it, and it may differ much. And it would be interesting to hear everything that could be said about marriage. There is as many opinions and things to say about it as there are different forms of marriage, including poligamy .. gay marriage .. etc ..

This idea about creating a poll about it only came to my mind today, for two reasons (I am going to reveal a bit of my private life, but i dont really mind.) :

-Today, my mother came back from a trip, and the first thing she and my father did when she entered the flat was to start an arguement. My parents have been UNhappily married for 19 years, and they started hating each other when my little brother was born, which means 6 years after their marriage. They are staying together for him not to be disturbed too much (he is just 13), some.. "accidents" have already upset him in the past.

-I have just read a paragraph by Nietzsche in his amazing book The Dawn : paragraph 150. I have tried to translate it from french into english... (Sorry for the poor translation ... ) :

"It should not be allowed, when you are in love, to have such a decision, which involves and determines for good, under the power of some violent caprice ( I should stop butchering Nietzsche's work and Shakespear's language...), the nature of the society where we are living in : we should publicly claim worthless the lovers' oath and vows and prevent them from getting married : and this because we should consider it more seriously ! as, in the cases when people got married, it shouldnt have been been decided to get married ! Arent most of marriages such as the precense of a witness is not preferable ? However, there always is a witness _ it is the child _ and he is more than a witness, and I mean, a scapegoat !"

If anyone understands french, i could add the french version here... at least it would be correct .

Well, as you could have noticed in the lines bellow, i have a really bad opinion bout marriage. I think people cant love each other all their life. It is human, we need to evolve and meet new people, have different sex partners. And im not even talking about those extreme cases.. when people are forced to marry someone they dont know/like because of some religious believes or other social strictness..etc etc..To conclude, in my opinion, marriage is a burden a man or a women should not carry. In love or not.

Feel free to talk, and please, give arguments .
09.03.2007 - 02:18
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...im with marriage if there's love, respect and both are quite sure that being together is what they want...imo it's not easy to get married, i don't know if someday i will be married but if i do, i'm going to try to be 100% sure that i want it...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.03.2007 - 02:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I am for marriage, but in a way to where it's not like I mind it if you get married or not. I don't neceserraly think we have to go through out life and always change sex partners and meet new people. I mean, Sure I wanna have my fun, but I think that when I've had enough fun I am definitly the type to settle down (assuming she's the one for me) But I would have to be 100% sure that I could live with that person my entire life, it's insane to do otherwise.

About Piligomy, I feel that it is perfectly acceptable. But I don't mean it in the traditional Arabic/celtic way. I mean that I feel that if two women love the same man (or two men the same women) and they can agree to share him peacefully (Or her peacefully) and learn to befriend eachother and live in harmony, then it is possible. Also, What if two bisexual women love eachother and a straight man? I think that is acceptable as well. As I have nothing against gay marriage, I feel that even multiple spouses of the same sex is acceptable.

One thing I would like to make clear is that I do NOT
Aprove of organized marriage. I think that if two people are Arranged to be married before they even know eachother and not of their own choice, it's wrong. Even if they come to love eachother in time, it should be their choice, not someone else's.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.03.2007 - 04:07
Hyvaarin
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.03.2007 at 02:51

Also, What if two bisexual women love eachother and a straight man?

Lucky guy .

I'm not particularly for or against marriage. I can understand why people would want to get married, but unless it's a special case* I don't think it's for me. I'm perfectly willing to 'settle down', but going through the business of marriage seems unnecessary. It's not something I'll have to deal with for a while, though...

* - ie. a case of needing a visa
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
09.03.2007 - 04:48
tulkas
el parcero
This is very interesting, from my point of view, beacuse I'm don't agree completely with all the formalities and things a marriage carries with it, but I'm not completely against it, I mean, if someone wants to get married then that's their decision, they must have their reasons to do it, so I completely respect that.
Anyway, from my point of view I prefer what we call here, I don0t know if in other places it's the same, and it is free union. This is when 2 people start living together but without all the paper work saying that in any case if the marriage is over the properties will be split between the two, etc, etc.
Anyway, this is what I think, but I didn't vote, for what I've said, I'm not with it or against it...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
09.03.2007 - 07:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Maybe its my close minded high school mindset but i really dont get the point of marriage, if you love the person, just stay with them, why go through all that legal crap? and if it doesnt work out, you dont have to file for divorce.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.03.2007 - 07:18
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
I am with it, nothing wrong with it, the only thing i have against it, is people can marry whenever they want, and people marry all the time, and divorce right after, which really kills the meaning of marriage, and from this happening so often it runs down the meaning of Marriage, which use to be something lovers did to tie the knot forever, to make that final step, but with all the divorce going on, it seems like people do it for fun now, like honestly in todays society Marriage is taken so lightly that i don't think it would matter if you were or were not married.
09.03.2007 - 11:39
Baz Anderson
Staff
if my memory serves me well (which I hope it does!!!) I seem to remember we had a MS marriage thread a couple of years ago.. where the idea was two users got together and 'got married' hahahaha

of real marriage.. I voted yes but I would (quite obviously) NOT get married if I was not 100% sure the person was going to stick around and they were everything I wanted in a relationship..
although yes I know some things just cant be forseen
09.03.2007 - 11:46
Eight
Shapeshifter
I haven't voted, i pretty much do not care bout marriage, maybe will be married in the end myself but...
@Baz - is this happy couple also still here?
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
09.03.2007 - 11:57
Judas
The Amputator
I'm for marriage. It's my firm belief that when two people are together for long enough and love each other enough to want to spend a lifetime together, but still don't get married, they have a phobia towards any long-term commitment. Why should people be afraid to give a proper name to their relationship? Besides, about the whole 'filing for divorce' thing being a pain, I think if you can sort out all the headaches of organising a wedding, then divorce should be a piece of cake!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
09.03.2007 - 11:58
darksun
Indeed,a silly ring can't prove my love to and loyalty so i am against it.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
09.03.2007 - 11:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Eight on 09.03.2007 at 11:46

@Baz - is this happy couple also still here?

what do you mean, I dont understand - which happy couple?
09.03.2007 - 12:03
Eight
Shapeshifter
I meant that two who 'got married' but never mind that
I apologize for off topic but bust remembered that when my aunt got married my father got wasted and danced on a table, after that he dosn't go public lol.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
09.03.2007 - 12:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
ooh.. yes I think there is a couple that met because of Metal Storm and are now married.. I cannot remember who they are though..
09.03.2007 - 12:44
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Marriage is only a legal contract.

You can live together just as happily without a ceremony.

I am married , but only because we had children and it made it much easier , legally , to be married.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
09.03.2007 - 12:56
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
I'm for mariage. But nowadays, the marriage really means nothing . I explain : a lot of people get married, have children. Even if they know inconsciously that it is not the good person with whom to make his(her) life. That's right which is domageable. The childs pay for adult's mistakes. IMO get married when love each other, when there is a real complicity and a complementarity, it can only give a supplementary sense to this relation. But check we can be also happy without being married. It belongs to each to see his (her) vision of a relationship....
09.03.2007 - 19:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im against!

Why simple its not for me, I cant inagine if I shood spend my life like in jail, I dont trust ppl so much so i dunno, merige isn not for me

I dont understand nowdays meriage it dont emans nothing nowdays ppl care about money more how love and merriage, so Im man who walks alone
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2007 - 20:52
Achor
Account deleted
i think marriage is a good thing. im not saying everyone has to get married and "no sex before marriage", but i think its a great way to show your partner how serious you are and how much you love him/her. you should of course not make that comitment if you're not abolutely sure its the right thing to do, but if you love him/her with all your heart, why not? it shows both the couple, and everyone around them that they love eachother.
09.03.2007 - 21:04
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
I will never get married.. I believe in love, but I see no need to get married.. I will be just like my older brother, he has his girl and a daughter but never got married, because it's useless.. Why get into all that burocracy?? Just stay with the person you love and that is it.. But I'm not against or with, I just don't want to get married, that is all.. hehe!
09.03.2007 - 22:24
Ernis
狼獾
I'm with marriage....but not "legal" marriage as they call it nowadays....I'm for spiritual marriage....If I find a girl whom I love so much....the girl I want to produce children with....and of course who has the same feelings for me....then we shall marry definitely after some time spent together....we would just go to a priest and let him bless us.....in a sacred grove or on a cemetery or in church or chapel.....at the same time I'm against big wedding parties....it'd be intimate....perhaps just a pair of friends witnessing the ritual....
I'm against paper marriage.....this is indeed nothing more than an economical contract and takes everything back to money.....this makes it indeed bureaucracy and more often the results are like that as well.....court cases etc.....why ruin everything.....
09.03.2007 - 22:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 09.03.2007 at 22:24

I'm with marriage....but not "legal" marriage as they call it nowadays....I'm for spiritual marriage....If I find a girl whom I love so much....the girl I want to produce children with....and of course who has the same feelings for me....then we shall marry definitely after some time spent together....we would just go to a priest and let him bless us.....in a sacred grove or on a cemetery or in church or chapel.....at the same time I'm against big wedding parties....it'd be intimate....perhaps just a pair of friends witnessing the ritual....
I'm against paper marriage.....this is indeed nothing more than an economical contract and takes everything back to money.....this makes it indeed bureaucracy and more often the results are like that as well.....court cases etc.....why ruin everything.....

wel me to only merige what i like to suport it shood be only in church but probleme are its hard to find girl who likes metal and same time are cristian
----

apos;'
[image]
10.03.2007 - 00:01
Ernis
狼獾
If a girl loves me, then she'll love my friend Jaysus as well.....
10.03.2007 - 00:20
Vrana
I'm with marriage, if two persons really love each other and know that "this is it". If it's not, then I don't see the reason for those two to be together. And I agree with Judas: why being afraid of long-term commitments, if you love each other?
The problem is that people don't see the real point of getting maried... in the past mariage was something so precious, but today,... well, it's totaly different.
10.03.2007 - 00:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 10.03.2007 at 00:01

If a girl loves me, then she'll love my friend Jaysus as well.....

Well I agree she shood but still IMO ist hard combine metal and realigion, one more reason why im single
----

apos;'
[image]
10.03.2007 - 02:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I voted with. Because it's a nice ritual. I'm suposed to be catholic and I've seen some marriages in the family, and I find it to be a really cool ritual. And, like my cousin say: "We speak a lot of crap, but the most probable thing is that one day we meet someone and would like to get married, and eventually we will." I find it to be a nice rtual, you know,the clothing, the rings and that stuff. despite I'm not that spiritual nor religious.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.03.2007 - 05:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
How many people here believe mariage should be a sheerly christian thing? I mean, other religions have had mariages and mariage ceremonies, is there anything wrong with that?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.03.2007 - 05:34
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
which genius said that marriage is sheerly christian? That genius deserves a kick in his face....
I'm 'with' marriage. But I'd prefer a simpler form of marriage. less flamboyance and avoiding unnecessary 'show'... that's what I mean.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
10.03.2007 - 11:39
Achor
Account deleted
my parents married in city hall. there was nothing christian about that. of course, love should stand above all religions, and it should be adapted anywhere people want it. christians aswell as atheists, buddhists, paganists and so on, should be able to marry a person he/she loves.
10.03.2007 - 13:46
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ +{Cat Eyes}+ , Arian Totalis , Paganblood

You seem to be confusing the ceremony of getting married with marriage.

They are two different things.
You do not live happily ever after once the ring is on your finger just becuase the ceremony was nice.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
10.03.2007 - 16:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Paganblood on 10.03.2007 at 05:34

which genius said that marriage is sheerly christian? That genius deserves a kick in his face....

yes I agree

Written by Guest on 10.03.2007 at 11:39

my parents married in city hall. there was nothing christian about that. of course, love should stand above all religions, and it should be adapted anywhere people want it. christians aswell as atheists, buddhists, paganists and so on, should be able to marry a person he/she loves.

I think you hit it right on the head, I couldn't agree more.

Written by hanna of steel on 10.03.2007 at 13:46

@ +{Cat Eyes}+ , Arian Totalis , Paganblood

You seem to be confusing the ceremony of getting married with marriage.

well no, it's just that I know there are people out there who actually believe mariage should be a and only a christian thing, and I was wondering if there was anyone here who actually believed that.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko