Metal Storm logo
Sexism in Metal?

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 14.10.2016 - 13:14
Recently Sam Dunn (the guy that made Headbanger's Journey) put out a 'debate' video with some female metal musicians about sexism in metal. I'd be interested to hear what metal storm users think about this. I've posted the video but it's quite long, so the tl;dr version of some of the points they make is the following:

1) It's hard to walk into a room and not look like anyone else (referring to things like gigs)

2) Women are given a 'pop quiz' of sorts by men about their knowledge of metal. They essentially have to go above and beyond to prove themselves.

3) Metal lyrical themes and imagery are often based around the sexual objectification of women and glorification of masculinity.

4) The gender/appearance of female band members tends to be the focus of fans, rather than their musical ability.

5) It is annoying being the only female band on a lineup.

6) It is condescending when promoters run gigs with only female bands on the lineup.

My thoughts on the above points would be the following:

Points 1-2 are not unique to women. Metalheads in general will walk into a room and not look like anyone else in any setting other than a metal gig. And anyone wearing an A7X t-shirt at a Suffocation gig would be likely to also get a pop quiz, regardless of gender (I think this point says more about general elitism in metal). In addition, is it really men's fault that so few women choose to attend gigs/listen to metal?

3 - I agree that metal caters to male sexual preferences, but that is because the bulk of it's audience and artists are male. These women could just as easily flip the script and write about their sexual ideals if they so please.

4 - I agree with. However some female artists completely play into this.

5/6 - This doesn't really make sense to me. If a promoter doesn't have more than one or 2 female bands it's sexist, but putting on an all-female lineup is also sexist?

In summary I think that this video misses the mark big time. There is very real sexism that occurs in metal (women being groped at concerts, told they don't belong in metal, etc.) that these women ironically did not mention. Also I find it laughable that this was presented as a 'debate', when all of the contributors had the exact same opinion, and most of the Qs were also cherry picked from people that supported their viewpoint, while ones who disagreed were scoffed at. And the comments have been disabled. Sounds like they're not interested in allowing people to challenge their views.

Your thoughts?

17.10.2016 - 19:00
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 17.10.2016 at 16:27

Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 14:30

This is the kind of prejudice I hoped not to see in this thread. Even though the topic is interesting the argumentation becomes too low with nonsense like that. I suggest you listen to this:

As !J.O.O.E! has already explained, you've misunderstood my point.

It does not help women if promoters feel pressured into putting female bands into a lineup just to make it an even gender split. This in itself would be sexist because you would potentially be kicking better male bands off the bill in place of a worse female band just because of what genitals they have between their legs. This would also propagate the false idea that female musicians can't be just as good as men.

Can you both please, please read. Women dont need any help, you both assume that they do - what is that? A slight exaggeration might help you - men need help. Men are shite at metal - do you get it if I put it that way? And you both need to read as this forum is entirely textual.
17.10.2016 - 19:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:00
Women dont need any help, you both assume that they do

No, they didn't.
They actually believe and wrote the exact same thing you wrote before... Which is that quality should be the priority, independent of gender.

The whole page looks like a huge missunderstanding when all three actually wrote the same fucking comment.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.10.2016 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Your only current argument is telling us, ad nauseum, to "read," in a passive aggressive tone. You haven't explained your reply to the original quote whatsoever, nor have you explained how anyone implied how that relates to anyone suggesting that women "need help." No one suggested or implied that. You're imagining it. Zombie's entire point was that women shouldn't be given preferential treatment so I don't know what you're arguing about.

You may think you're coming across as eloquent and articulate, but you aren't. In fact you often make confusing arguments with poor wording.
17.10.2016 - 19:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.10.2016 at 19:08

The whole page looks like a huge missunderstanding when all three actually wrote the same fucking comment.

This is what's blowing my mind: LoG attacked Zombie for his post and then went on to reiterate what he said in his own posts
17.10.2016 - 19:30
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:09

Your only current argument is telling us, ad nauseum, to "read," in a passive aggressive tone. You haven't explained your reply to the original quote whatsoever, nor have you explained how anyone implied how that relates to anyone suggesting that women "need help." No one suggested or implied that. You're imagining it. Zombie's entire point was that women shouldn't be given preferential treatment so I don't know what you're arguing about.

You may think you're coming across as eloquent and articulate, but you aren't. In fact you often make confusing arguments with poor wording.

Ok Ill try to be pedagogic here. Example: if I say that you dont need any help for say your violent outbursts (example). Then Ive implied something right?

So what zombie and you are saying is that women could (implied) need some help but it wouldnt be good to give it to them. And I am saying that its wrong to imply such a thing because they dont need any help. Im out of this thread as Its a bit annoying that Ive to read for you
17.10.2016 - 19:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:10

Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.10.2016 at 19:08

This is what's blowing my mind: LoG attacked Zombie for his post and then went on to reiterate what he said in his own posts

LoG is a kind of Erik Mols when it comes to comprehensive reading.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2016 - 19:37
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:09

You may think you're coming across as eloquent and articulate, but you aren't.

Ill take that as a compliment
17.10.2016 - 19:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Woa and the misunderstanding goes on and on. I wonder how many posts this will have at night?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.10.2016 - 19:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2016 at 19:35

I've been thinking that for the past hour or so in fact. I'm not sure even Erik has as bizarre thought processes as LoG though. Truly astonishing.
17.10.2016 - 19:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:37

Ill take that as a compliment

When an entire thread fails to see what you're talking about (and now you've explained it there's no way anyone would ever have because it's ludicrous nonsense) it's not something you should be taking in a complimentary way.
17.10.2016 - 19:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2016 at 19:35

I've been thinking that for the past hour or so in fact. I'm not sure even Erik has as bizarre thought processes as LoG though. Truly astonishing.

I have just seen the light. LoG is the love child of Erik Mols and Godbuster/Mr. Strawberry.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2016 - 19:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2016 at 19:43

I have just seen the light. LoG is the love child of Erik Mols and Godbuster/Mr. Strawberry.

The perpetually muddled mind of one, and the blind arrogance of the other. Heaven help us.
17.10.2016 - 21:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Karlabos on 17.10.2016 at 19:37

Woa and the misunderstanding goes on and on. I wonder how many posts this will have at night?

And I've set aside all my other plans for tonight. Definitely can't miss this one.
17.10.2016 - 21:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well apparently according to LoG even indirectly alluding to the fact there is inequality between genders / sexes is the same as thinking that women need help (ostensibly from men) so anything goes in this thread. Reason and logical thought has no place here.
17.10.2016 - 22:08
3rdWorld
China was a neat
So what zombie and you are saying is that women could (implied) need some help but it wouldnt be good to give it to them. And I am saying that its wrong to imply such a thing because they dont need any help.

He took a implication that "women could have some help" which Joe and Zombie didn't even make and says its wrong to imply such a thing. Yeah, looks like he is confusing a lot actually, even if its unintentional.
18.10.2016 - 15:34
Zombie94
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 19:30

Can you both please, please read. Women dont need any help, you both assume that they do - what is that? A slight exaggeration might help you - men need help. Men are shite at metal - do you get it if I put it that way? And you both need to read as this forum is entirely textual.

So what zombie and you are saying is that women could (implied) need some help but it wouldnt be good to give it to them. And I am saying that its wrong to imply such a thing because they dont need any help. Im out of this thread as Its a bit annoying that Ive to read for you

This is a slight exaggeration but trying to comprehend what the hell you're talking about right now brought this clip to mind

Now I'd like to move on from this and return to discussing the actual points people are making.
19.10.2016 - 13:31
Overrwatcher
Written by Zombie94 on 16.10.2016 at 19:04

I just want to preface this by saying that I agree with basically everything you said and that it's nice to get a woman's opinion. But to play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion, there are 2 counterpoints I think the women in the video would have for the above points you made, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts:

I've often heard the argument made that the idea of 'masculine' and 'feminine' traits is in itself nothing more than sexist social constructs. That to think that women are inherently more caring, nurturing, gentler; and that men are more aggressive, better leaders, assertive etc. is a sexist stereotype. The people who hold this viewpoint say that the real reason men and women act differently is because they are brainwashed by a pariarchal society. I would make the argument that there is really no way of knowing if it is more biological or social that determines these traits. But that if I had to guess, I think it makes more sense from an evolutionary perspective that this is just a genetic difference, because it would have aided in survival (e.g. women are generally weaker so they mind the children and gather food etc. while men hunt).

I also think that the reason they are offended by the idea of an all female lineup is because it promotes the concept of female metal being a genre of sorts, as if it is a novelty. I kind of agree with them, but at the same time I'm not sure what they think the solution is. I certainly don't think that promoters should be putting female bands on a lineup just for the sake of making it a 50/50 gender split.

It's not really much of a social construct, it's biology. In most species, the males are the hunters and the females the nurturers. The brains are practically wired that way as well. There's an overwhelming amount of evidence showing that masculine vs feminine traits are there for a reason. But I want to make it clear that masculine/feminine does not refer strictly to male/female, just traits associated with either. Men can be feminine and women can be masculine. I'd say the sexism comes in when it's forced that men can't be gentle nurturers (stay-at-home dads are looked down upon), and women can't be aggressive alphas. As I mentioned in the feminism thread, femininity seems to be looked down upon in general. Femininity is weakness in the eyes of western society. Nobody wants to appear weak, but it's expected from women and men fear nothing more than appearing even the littlest bit feminine. The entire talk about gender itself (not feminism) is a really heated and sensitive one with so many different opinions, and if we are to speak of it, it would require its own thread.

And the novelty perspective does make sense. For the longest time, all-female bands were novelty. I'd argue nearly all of them still are (there are very much exceptions though, Nervosa coming to mind). Girlschool and Kittie immediately jump as examples of the novelty bands. Female-fronted bands are a different matter, they are not novelty at all but they do have a different sound to them. I find it to be fine how it is right now, but the entire "don't want to be the only female musician in a gig/tour" and "don't want to be in a novelty lineup" contradict each other. The male/female ratio in metal music is pretty extreme. You can't have a perfect lineup that makes you less alienated without being novelty. It's a fact of life, deal with it.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
19.10.2016 - 18:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Slowly it's pushing towards Feminism.
20.10.2016 - 00:48
Overrwatcher
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.10.2016 at 18:25

I think it's because at this point a common opinion has been reached: The video targeted the wrong points. There is sexism in metal but the points they brought up are either not a metal-specific thing or too small of an issue to really make that big of a deal out of. Any further discussion will end up getting more into gender and feminism territory.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
20.10.2016 - 01:42
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Overrwatcher on 20.10.2016 at 00:48

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.10.2016 at 18:25

I think it's because at this point a common opinion has been reached: The video targeted the wrong points. There is sexism in metal but the points they brought up are either not a metal-specific thing or too small of an issue to really make that big of a deal out of. Any further discussion will end up getting more into gender and feminism territory.

The whole topic is linked to feminism from the start, as ending gender based discrimination (sexism) is one of the main points of feminism.
20.10.2016 - 05:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Overrwatcher on 19.10.2016 at 13:31

Girlschool and Kittie immediately jump as examples of the novelty bands. .

Since they've been active continuously since the late 70s, I'd argue that Girlschool are more than just a novelty act.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.10.2016 - 12:19
Ganondox
I've always considered 3 to be more a hard rock than metal thing, metal just really doesn't give a damn. Metal lyrics are more likely to fail to realize gender even exists to parade masculinity and sexualize women.
26.10.2016 - 15:04
Zombie94
Written by Ganondox on 22.10.2016 at 12:19

I've always considered 3 to be more a hard rock than metal thing, metal just really doesn't give a damn. Metal lyrics are more likely to fail to realize gender even exists to parade masculinity and sexualize women.

Definitely. The only time that I see gender being made an issue of in the metal/hard rock scene is when journalists looking for a story start pointing fingers at bands that sing about vikings, and claim that this is somehow misogynistic. The actual fans tend to just want to enjoy the damn music!
27.10.2016 - 09:05
Ganondox
Written by Zombie94 on 26.10.2016 at 15:04

Written by Ganondox on 22.10.2016 at 12:19

Definitely. The only time that I see gender being made an issue of in the metal/hard rock scene is when journalists looking for a story start pointing fingers at bands that sing about vikings, and claim that this is somehow misogynistic. The actual fans tend to just want to enjoy the damn music!

To be fair, the branch of power metal that takes primarily after Manowar rather than basically every single other early power metal band does focus a lot on promoting a particularly ridiculous idea of masculinity, but there is just as much power metal which goes in the exact opposite direction, and the Manowar side is musically closer to hard rock than the other side, which is closer to progressive rock.
27.10.2016 - 13:07
Zombie94
Written by Ganondox on 27.10.2016 at 09:05

To be fair, the branch of power metal that takes primarily after Manowar rather than basically every single other early power metal band does focus a lot on promoting a particularly ridiculous idea of masculinity, but there is just as much power metal which goes in the exact opposite direction, and the Manowar side is musically closer to hard rock than the other side, which is closer to progressive rock.

I agree that bands of the Manowar ilk heavily promote masculinity. But is that analogous to them being sexist? If so, why?
27.10.2016 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie94 on 27.10.2016 at 13:07

Written by Ganondox on 27.10.2016 at 09:05

I agree that bands of the Manowar ilk heavily promote masculinity. But is that analogous to them being sexist? If so, why?

Well, Manowar are a bunch of sexists, just look at their album covers and songs such as Pleasure Slave.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2016 - 13:22
Zombie94
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.10.2016 at 13:09

Well, Manowar are a bunch of sexists, just look at their album covers and songs such as Pleasure Slave.

So would you say this song is also sexist then? Because I just found this funny.

27.10.2016 - 13:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie94 on 27.10.2016 at 13:22

So would you say this song is also sexist then? Because I just found this funny.

Yes. And that's a cover of the Manowar song called Pleasure Slave.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2016 - 13:43
Zombie94
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.10.2016 at 13:28

Yes. And that's a cover of the Manowar song called Pleasure Slave.

I know, that's why I posted it

Well, maybe we just have a difference in opinion on what we consider sexist then because when I hear a woman sing these lyrics about men, I don't find them one bit offensive. Just funny.
28.10.2016 - 17:54
Ganondox
Written by Zombie94 on 27.10.2016 at 13:22

Just because it is comedic doesn't mean it isn't sexist. Now, there are a far worse forms of sexism, it's far cry from misogynist gangster rap, but it's still technically very sexist.

Anyway, this song is the best: