Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
25.11.2008 - 18:37
Mastodon is an amazing band indeed. My personal favorite was Remission, use to listen the fuck out of March of the Fire Ants before being able to find the cd in stores. Leviathan is pretty amazing too.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
12.12.2008 - 03:55
CliffemAll
Love mastodon, ever since I heard blood and thunder I've been a fan, favorite is blood mountain easily, but anticipating crack the skye like hell
14.12.2008 - 21:17
benvolent
Concerning 'Crack the skye' I'm very curious - still don't have a clue, what Troy means, when he considers the sound of the new record rather to be rock [than metal].

And they call some inspirating bands like 'King Diamond' - don't know them so far, but can anyone recommend me some good/representative tracks of them?! Just saw, that they have released over 10 albums so far - not so easy to check that out quickly...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
15.12.2008 - 10:21
combaticus12
Account deleted
Holy hell Mastodon is epic on so many levels. I've been a fan for years, ever since hearing March of the Fire Ants off of Remission. Hands down, Blood Mountain owns my soul. I can listen to This Mortal Soil and Siberian Divide every day and never get tired of them. As far as their next album, I have heard rumors that it involves Czarist Russia and Rasputin in some respects, the latter of which was confirmed by the poster they distributed at the Mayhem Fest this past summer. So I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

Also, I listen to Mastodon when I play WoW...it is so epic haha
16.12.2008 - 01:42
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by CliffemAll on 12.12.2008 at 03:55

Love mastodon, ever since I heard blood and thunder I've been a fan, favorite is blood mountain easily, but anticipating crack the skye like hell

...blood mountain is a great album!! i haven't heard all their albums though, i hope to get them soon, a friend will help
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
27.01.2009 - 05:24
I, braineater
Crack the Skye and Divinations artwork online!

Plus the single is avaliable for digital download and order thru their site. Song is a real grower. Brent's vocals are just getting better and better!

----
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
27.01.2009 - 13:15
Trial By Fire
Account deleted
Mastodon are the most promising, interesting, and exciting band in metal for me. They are truly one of the greats in my opinion and I can't wait to hear this album as I suspect it to be an instant classic and a new bar for truly great and innovative metal releases.
12.02.2009 - 15:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Listening right now to "Leviathan", it's a pretty damn good album so far(currently at Naked Burn).. gotta love how the slower riffs have this sort of heaviness, like i'm picturing a mastodon lumbering around lol
13.02.2009 - 10:02
I, braineater
Check out the bullfuck sweet looking Limited edition of 'Crack the Skye' over HERE. It's also avaliable for pre-order now!

Damn, I need some cash..
----
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
20.02.2009 - 21:44
munson
Written by I, braineater on 13.02.2009 at 10:02

Check out the bullfuck sweet looking Limited edition of 'Crack the Skye' over HERE. It's also avaliable for pre-order now!

Damn, I need some cash..

I love when bands do really cool stuff with the packaging for CD's - especially this time. That's why I love buying new Tool albums. They're always SO DAMN COOL.
27.02.2009 - 03:53
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 12.02.2009 at 15:26

Listening right now to "Leviathan", it's a pretty damn good album so far(currently at Naked Burn).. gotta love how the slower riffs have this sort of heaviness, like i'm picturing a mastodon lumbering around lol

By far their best album...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.03.2009 - 17:11
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
OHHHH< I can't wait for Crack The Skye. It's gonna be damn good
----
Coldgrits
04.03.2009 - 19:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The artwork alone makes mastodon albums worth the price of admission.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.03.2009 - 03:16
Sellathurai
New album is definitely a grower, and every time you listen to it gets better.
There isn't much of the heavy stuff, but it doesn't matter because it still kicks ass.
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
02.04.2009 - 20:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Sellathurai on 31.03.2009 at 03:16

New album is definitely a grower, and every time you listen to it gets better.
There isn't much of the heavy stuff, but it doesn't matter because it still kicks ass.

I'll agree with that assessment. I've listened to it several times over the last couple days and got over my initial disappointment at the lack of super heavy crushing parts (i liked it from first listen, just missed some of those bits) and liked it more and more with each subsequent listen. There are a lot of cool things going on.

Sure, it's more amped-up 70's prog-rock than Whale Core, but I dig it.

Watching the accompanying DVD made it even more enjoyable, after seeing what went into it and their explanation on the various parts and pieces of the album.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.04.2009 - 01:31
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 04.03.2009 at 19:19

They're sort of the new Yes when it comes to album covers.
----
(space for rent)
03.04.2009 - 01:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Dane Train on 03.04.2009 at 01:31

Written by BitterCOld on 04.03.2009 at 19:19

They're sort of the new Yes when it comes to album covers.

it's funny, but i believe they actually mentioned Yes (along with other 70's Prog Rockers) in the DVD describing the recording process... sorry if i cannot say with absolute clarity on this, but i was oh so tired and fading in and out of a nap/coma on my all-too-comfy couch while trying to watch it.
----

20.04.2009 - 03:01
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
Mastodon is pretty much the new "Rush"
26.04.2009 - 14:36
Ascendant187
Yeah, the new album is great. They're definitely going down an already well trodden road (70's prog) but they're doing it well. The harmonies are better on this album than they were on Blood Mountain and yeah, the heavier parts from albums past are are lacking but it's still all good.
03.05.2009 - 22:36
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
I think the 70's Prog suites them better.

if you guys like Mastodon,you should check out Baroness,Rwake,Kylesa
04.05.2009 - 04:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
09.05.2009 - 17:41
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 04.05.2009 at 04:16

haha

that pic is being saved
28.05.2009 - 19:45
Ascendant187
Written by Guest on 03.05.2009 at 22:36

Mastodon are so much better than Baroness though, at least in my personal opinion. I can't get over the awesome harmonies - I think they've really outdone themselves in that regard this time around.
30.05.2009 - 14:51
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I've been into Mastodon alot recently, since the new album especially. I think it is incredible, you can definately hear the 70's prog influences in it, I swear there are parts where it sounds just like Yes, I reckon my favourite albums are Leviathan and the new un, the whole album is just super, it's rare where I find an album so easy to listen to straight through.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
30.05.2009 - 15:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Mastodon is pretty fine, but sometimes i think they sound too strange and deliberately un-catchy
30.05.2009 - 15:26
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by Valentin B on 30.05.2009 at 15:07

Mastodon is pretty fine, but sometimes i think they sound too strange and deliberately un-catchy

I kind of agree, on first few listens they can seem sort of erractic and odd, but after listening to them ALOT, the songs become really catchy, I have at least 5 off the new album stuck in my head...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
31.05.2009 - 23:07
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Ascendant187 on 28.05.2009 at 19:45

Mastodon are so much better than Baroness though, at least in my personal opinion. I can't get over the awesome harmonies - I think they've really outdone themselves in that regard this time around.

Never said who was better,just was stating Baroness is a great band that's similar to Mastodon,that's all..

Yeah Mastodon is a tad better i'll give you that,but you shouldn't underestimate Baroness,there's some songs on "Red Album" that Rival Mastodon.
01.06.2009 - 05:06
Ascendant187
Written by Guest on 31.05.2009 at 23:07

Never said who was better,just was stating Baroness is a great band that's similar to Mastodon,that's all..

Yeah Mastodon is a tad better i'll give you that,but you shouldn't underestimate Baroness,there's some songs on "Red Album" that Rival Mastodon.

I've got the Red album, yeah, and while I like it I don't think it touches anything of Mastodon's. Having said that, though, keep in mind that it's simply my opinion. I just like Mastodon's overall sound much better than Baroness'.
02.06.2009 - 11:31
Kandlegoat
Account deleted
Written by Ascendant187 on 01.06.2009 at 05:06

Written by Guest on 31.05.2009 at 23:07

I've got the Red album, yeah, and while I like it I don't think it touches anything of Mastodon's. Having said that, though, keep in mind that it's simply my opinion. I just like Mastodon's overall sound much better than Baroness'.

Yeah Mastodon is overall better..but I dunno..I have this feeling about baroness though...we'll see down the road if i'm right or not
02.06.2009 - 17:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Getting into Blood Mountain... turned out be an enjoyable album. Leviathan will be next. I think Mastodon is very good at righting mellow pieces in particular, like the last song on BM. And I guess that's why Crack the Skye is so good.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy