Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

22.10.2018 - 17:54
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by Zap on 22.10.2018 at 16:42

I like to scroll through this thread just to look at all the artwork. There's no way I can ever keep up with listening to all of this stuff.

Honestly, sometimes I pick an album from this thread because of the description someone has given, but 90% of the time it's purely based on the artwork.

There is a lot of great artwork to be found here.
22.10.2018 - 20:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This sounds like the progressive companion to that Imperial Triumphant album earlier this year. A supergroup of sorts featuring members of Pyrrhon, Imperial Triumphant, Epistasis, Evilyn, Vihaan.

Thoren

Awesome ocean themed psychedelic stoner with nice ambient/instrumental drone parts. As if Ahab or The Ocean Collective played 70's psych rock.

Rezn

More classic stoner fuzz rock.

Disrule

Heavy sounding post-metal with clean vox that works surprisingly well. From Kent, UK.

OHHMS

24.10.2018 - 00:40
Mercurial
^ OHHMS are from my birth county of Kent. They're really popular here and I've probably lost count how many times I've seen them. They're ok, lol.

Pretty fun death metal. The vocals make me laugh but not in a bad way.

Deiformity

Post / black / -core niceness.

Chambers

More things, mostly black metal coz that's all I seem to share these days.

Really nice, more traditional sounding black metal from Poland with a pleasing melancholic edge. Nice clangy bass.

Ortsul

Other assorted black metal of different kinds (lazy).

Usurpator

A Thousand Sufferings

Cruor Vexillum

24.10.2018 - 02:19
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Heavy metal from Sweden. Excellent production I especially love the guitar tone on this record.
24.10.2018 - 05:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Surprisingly smooth and well flowing groovy death metal.

Glacial Tomb - Glacial Tomb

24.10.2018 - 14:50
Mercurial
Surprisingly atmospheric and good industrial hardcore / black metal hybrid from Bong-Ra guy.

Servants Of The Apocalyptic Goat Rave
24.10.2018 - 18:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The new Gojira record sounds like a throwback to their early years.

Gross Misconduct

24.10.2018 - 18:53
Mercurial
Now this is my kind of black metal: bassy (ish) and psychedelic.

Det eviga leendet
24.10.2018 - 20:13
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 24.10.2018 at 18:53

Now this is my kind of black metal: bassy (ish) and psychedelic.

Det eviga leendet

First song wasn't really special, but when the second song started I thought Bandcamp randomly switched to another band. Good stuff.

Edit: wow I'm an idiot, it's a compilation (or sampler or whatever.) And you were clearly referring to the second track hahaha
24.10.2018 - 21:05
Mercurial
Written by Zap on 24.10.2018 at 20:13

First song wasn't really special, but when the second song started I thought Bandcamp randomly switched to another band. Good stuff.

Edit: wow I'm an idiot, it's a compilation (or sampler or whatever.) And you were clearly referring to the second track hahaha

Lolll yeah, it's a whole bunch of bands. Haven't listened to much of the others but I'm sure there's a few decent other ones in there.

Actually the third track, by Krukh, is really good too.
25.10.2018 - 12:41
Mercurial
Second Morphinist record this year. More atmospheric, instrumental doom metal. I'm struggling to find actual doom albums I enjoy this year but Morphinist are doing better than most.

Morphinist

Nice, gritty and dirty doomsludge from the UK.

Tuskar

This keeps popping up and tempting me with that great art. I don't really like it all that much but fans of brutal / tech-death might.

Serocs

New Ophidian Forest. I absolutely loved Redbad back in the day. This one doesn't sound like it's going to be quite as weird but it's definitely a nice approach to pagan black metal.

Ophidian Forest

The new Barus is out now in full. Absolutely first-rate post-death metal.

Barús

Can't usually be arsed with splits but Dysylumn really impressed me with their recent full length so more of them is always good, and both sides complement each other well in style of moody, modern black metal.

Malepeste & Dysylumn

Weepy traditional doom EP, with a bit of death doom. Features a member of Ophis. Puts the total of 2018 bands with "void" in the name up to 1783.

Voidhaven

New Sulphur Aeon track.

25.10.2018 - 23:52
Mercurial
For a band described as experimental black / death metal, Veilburner make some surprisingly chill music. Just a really cool atmosphere with some nice flourishes.

Veilburner

Kind of black metal but hard to describe. Nice sound and I dig the clean vocals.

Anomalie

Nice atmospheric / ambient black from Quebec.

Cantique Lépreux
27.10.2018 - 02:13
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Some psychedelic stoner rock from Italy. The album has a pretty nice and simple concept to it. The idea is that the album is like a book full of stories about legends. A good balance between some harder hitting sections and the very soft and psychedelic parts.

Melodic heavy metal from Finland. Some excellent guitar solos throughout the album. Enjoyable listen from beginning to end.
27.10.2018 - 11:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Awesome new german black metal.

Abyssous

27.10.2018 - 11:38
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
The fallen empire batch has turned into some full albums

This is typical Soroka riffing but a lot more icelandic bm sounding than thcornobog, it actually sounds like one of the better bm albums this year.

And this:

Det eviga leendet . All albums are name your price.

27.10.2018 - 11:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Brilliant and fresh sounding cinematic prog metal that is like a soundtrack to a non existing blockbuster. There are very few albums like this and its definitely a must listen.

Tephrosis

New Megaton Leviathan sounds great for slow and droning doom. Streaming in full now.

Not a big fan of the vocals here but this has potential to be some good traditional black. Really nice artwork though.

Nocturn

Be-fast-or-be-dead grind from Washington, DC. One of the track features Blake Harrison from Pig Destroyer as well.

The latest Pandiscordian Necrogenesis is streaming in full as well. Harrowing and shreiking vocals with lo-fi black that sucks in life like a fucking void. Yet to listen to the full thing but doubt this will be disappointing in any way.

27.10.2018 - 21:48
Mercurial
Written by Guest on 27.10.2018 at 11:38

The fallen empire batch has turned into some full albums

This is typical Soroka riffing but a lot more icelandic bm sounding than thcornobog, it actually sounds like one of the better bm albums this year.

Det eviga leendet . All albums are name your price.

These two probably had the best songs of the sampler, so glad to see them out first.
28.10.2018 - 00:37
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Alastor - Monumental and varied fuzzy doom rock in the old style with clean vocals. That last track is quite a finish on a very good album.

28.10.2018 - 05:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Thick and heavy modern death metal from Greece.

Mass Infection

Dirty sludge infused doom grind.

Black Tar Prophet/Nothing Positive Only Negative Split

29.10.2018 - 02:15
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Icarus Witch - Goodbye Cruel World. Heavy metal from the USA. Nice and heavy sounding riffs combined with some melodic elements and an excellent production quality.

IAH - ll. Really great instrumental stoner rock with psychedelic elements to it. One of my favourite instrumental albums this year.

GumoManiacs - Priest Of Lucifer X. Thrash metal from Germany. Has a nice intensity to it as well as some solid riffwork.
29.10.2018 - 14:18
Mercurial
Seriously dissonant, angular -core / grind. Not for weaklings.

Fawn Limbs

Honestly kind of great DSBM. Really big emotive sound and a touch cinematic. Love to death that cover art too.

Joyless Euphoria

Very decent instrumental prog that avoids the djent camp. Somewhat rougher than the average modern equivalent.

Nick Urquhart

Eerie as heck drone (of sorts) with nice vocal performances, adding to the creepy vibe.

Aarsland

Temple Nightside's 2018 release out now in full.

Temple Nightside

Released at the end of last year, this is too good not to share. Some kind of expansive black metal focussing on deep textures and explorative atmospheric sounds. Great vocal performance too.

Eye of Nix
29.10.2018 - 15:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mercurial on 29.10.2018 at 14:18

Temple Nightside's 2018 release out now in full.

Temple Nightside

Well, new? I wonder why they decided to rerecord 2013's 'Condemnation'.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2018 - 15:45
Mercurial
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2018 at 15:38

Oops, that should have said re-release. It's not a terrible redoing of it, muddier and more cavernous, but not necessarily better.
29.10.2018 - 15:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mercurial on 29.10.2018 at 15:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2018 at 15:38

Oops, that should have said re-release. It's not a terrible redoing of it, muddier and more cavernous, but not necessarily better.

Even muddier en more cavernous than the orignal? Hahahaha, wow. Haven't heard this rerecording yet, so can't judge if I like it better or not.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2018 - 15:49
Mercurial
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2018 at 15:47

Even muddier en more cavernous than the orignal? Hahahaha, wow. Haven't heard this rerecording yet, so can't judge if I like it better or not.

They've traded a lot of the guitar buzz for more bass, so actually it may be less "cavernous" depending on how you feel about it
29.10.2018 - 17:32
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ladies and germs who cry for good straight up doom albums. Your prayers have been answered.

Sundecay

Absolutely fantastic Bruce Dickinson-like soaring and majestic vocals combined with symphonic heavy metal. Features tons of piano and choir with solid songwriting. Artwork is really good as well.

Psychework

Ridiculously original and inimitable all-brass brand of instrumental metal from Italy. I know how hard brass instruments are to play and write songs and this is a serious WTF case.

Ottone Pesante

Full stream here

29.10.2018 - 23:43
Vombatus
Potorro

Garage rock black metal thing, not unlike Black Magick SS but considerably rawer and less synth driven.
29.10.2018 - 23:55
Mercurial
Written by Vombatus on 29.10.2018 at 23:43

Garage rock black metal thing, not unlike Black Magick SS but considerably rawer and less synth driven.

Ah yeah I was probably gonna share that, sounds good. Here's the Bandcamp for people who Youtube gives as much trouble as it does me these days: https://majesticmass.bandcamp.com/releases

I actually really dig that un-PC retro horror film artwork.
30.10.2018 - 09:04
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Heavy old school deathgrind from Poland.

Psychoneurosis

30.10.2018 - 11:19
Mercurial
One of the weirdest psychedelic doom / stoner / sludge things I've heard in a while. The vocal style is off the chart, and musically it's bizarre too. Everything sounds just a bit "off" and yet it seems to work so well.

Astral Cult

Grind meets cavernous death.

Maltheist

Technical black / death onslaught. I wish this was longer.

Goat Sperm

Rather lovely 21 minute, 1 song prog doom EP. Rare to hear buried vocals in this genre but I like how's it's done, very dreamlike stuff.

Meridian Sun

Midpaced, ambient-black metal with a doomy vibe. Nice subtle use of dissonance which doesn't test the listener. Also, the third track is a cover of Ruins of Beverast's 'I Raised This Stone As A Ghastly Memorial' which caught me off guard.

Alkymist

Short but sweet avant-garde metal by way of retro prog rock.

Theater of the Absurd