Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
25.10.2008 - 01:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 25.10.2008 at 01:05

Written by VPeter on 24.10.2008 at 22:43

Ohhh mmmyyyy ggaaaawwddd.
The stupidity of some people.. Please learn to read!! it says GENERIC power metal NOT AWESOME power metal.
But this shows exactly what kind of fans power metal has - who are like a cancer for the genre itself

I would ask you to take your negativity somewhere else, but I'm too busy listening to power metal to give a shit

Jesus H. Christ on a raft, don't you people know what GENERIC means? It seems like all you dragon slaying princess saving power metallers are too busy like every single generic (=unoriginal and tiresome and boring and derivative etc etc) power metal band than actually going out to find something GOOD in power metal land. Hell all of you seem to like every fucking single euro power metal band around. And that REALLY is a bad sound.

No wonder fans of Euro power are frowned upon by most metallers as the top-40 po music loving so-called metallers. Hell, nu-metal is truer than GENERIC power metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2008 - 02:33
Hrothdane
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2008 at 01:43

The stupidity of some people.. Please learn to read!! it says GENERIC power metal NOT AWESOME power metal.
But this shows exactly what kind of fans power metal has - who are like a cancer for the genre itself

I would ask you to take your negativity somewhere else, but I'm too busy listening to power metal to give a shit

Jesus H. Christ on a raft, don't you people know what GENERIC means? It seems like all you dragon slaying princess saving power metallers are too busy like every single generic (=unoriginal and tiresome and boring and derivative etc etc) power metal band than actually going out to find something GOOD in power metal land. Hell all of you seem to like every fucking single euro power metal band around. And that REALLY is a bad sound.

No wonder fans of Euro power are frowned upon by most metallers as the top-40 po music loving so-called metallers. Hell, nu-metal is truer than GENERIC power metal.

So much anger, you should listen to some power metal to help you chill out a bit!

I could recommend some songs if you like
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
25.10.2008 - 03:02
VPeter
Good sir, you suffer from the Power Flower illness which makes you think ALL power metal is awesome even the generic crappy one's.
You need some good Doom Metal to bring you back to normal try Warning and Shape of Despair.
25.10.2008 - 10:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 25.10.2008 at 02:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2008 at 01:43

So much anger, you should listen to some power metal to help you chill out a bit!

I could recommend some songs if you like

Nice reply and nice try but that just won't work subjectign me to power metal will just make me angrier and more pissed off at the injustice of crappy music getting more attention and having more fans than good music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2008 - 13:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2008 at 10:44

Nice reply and nice try but that just won't work subjectign me to power metal will just make me angrier and more pissed off at the injustice of crappy music getting more attention and having more fans than good music.

C' mon better bad music has more fans how good muisc I dont waanna see DDD hepening in some stadim where be 60 000 perople like in Wacken

BTW one of rear PM bands what i like has same number of funs how doom bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.03.2009 - 02:46
Wyrd
You can just suck my dragon slaying COCK!!!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
24.03.2009 - 03:26
Zelse
Power metal is an iffy genre. When it's generic, oh my god, is it ever generic. It is the most boring, cheesy, cringe-inducing metal ever. On the other hand, when it's good... it's really, really fucking good. Unfortunately, there are far too many generic, awful bands that perpetuate the power metal stereotype, so finding a really good band aside from the power metal legends like Stratovarius and Blind Guardian is like finding a diamond in the rough.

That's my take, anyway.
24.03.2009 - 04:27
The Butt
Account deleted
I guess it doesn't really help that I find power metal in general as a bland, watered down genre of metal as it is. I enjoy a couple bands, but that's it.

But generic PM is the absolute worst IMO. :/
24.03.2009 - 22:35
Wyrd
It's still the best in my mind. But it is your opinion.
----
27.03.2009 - 05:09
Lord_Regnier
"It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps". That's my answer.

I would never have said this 10-15 years ago, when PM was harsher and faster. I've been a PM fan years ago but I can't stand this genre now. Almost every band is turning into pure hard rock garbage since a few years. This genre is so pathetic and mediocre now, it makes me sick. The fact so many people who normally listen almost exclusively to radio-friendly music enjoy PM very much, while they can't stand any other metal genre, proves how 'commercial' it has become. Hell, I even see people posting about Eurovision and The Spice Girls on some PM forums...

I still have lots of respect for old Blind Guardian, old Helloween, Gamma Ray, etc. And for a few more recent bands like Persuader and Stormwarrior, even if I don't listen to them anymore. Apart from that, I say:

"Fuck off nowadays Powermetal".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.03.2009 - 05:58
Lord_Regnier
Written by VPeter on 25.10.2008 at 03:02

Good sir, you suffer from the Power Flower illness which makes you think ALL power metal is awesome even the generic crappy one's.

This illness is very widespread among Powermetal fans, unfortunately, who are so proud to be 'open-minded'.

Powermetal forums are filled with those people who are so 'open-minded' they can't criticize anything, even when it obviously sucks (because everything is somewhat good according to them). They claim to be open-minded, while they fail to see outside of the 'Powermetal circle', while they don't know anything about more extreme genres most of the time. You know, the kind of people who think you are crazy only because you don't like Nightwish, Edguy, Power Quest or Celesty.

And after that, they have the arrogance to tell you you are close-minded only because you don't like lame commercial hard rock-ish PM that sounds like some bad Bon Jovi clone. They don't realise it's normal to have tastes, probably because they fail to see they have no taste, they enjoy basically everything as long as it sounds happy and cheesy.

If you dislike the kind of behaviour I described above, avoid some Powermetal forums at all costs, it's full of people who find any PM band awesome, no matter if it's really awesome or if it's utter crap.
----
27.03.2009 - 07:58
Hrothdane
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 05:58

This illness is very widespread among Powermetal fans, unfortunately, who are so proud to be 'open-minded'.

Powermetal forums are filled with those people who are so 'open-minded' they can't criticize anything, even when it obviously sucks (because everything is somewhat good according to them). They claim to be open-minded, while they fail to see outside of the 'Powermetal circle', while they don't know anything about more extreme genres most of the time. You know, the kind of people who think you are crazy only because you don't like Nightwish, Edguy, Power Quest or Celesty.

And after that, they have the arrogance to tell you you are close-minded only because you don't like lame commercial hard rock-ish PM that sounds like some bad Bon Jovi clone. They don't realise it's normal to have tastes, probably because they fail to see they have no taste, they enjoy basically everything as long as it sounds happy and cheesy.

If you dislike the kind of behaviour I described above, avoid some Powermetal forums at all costs, it's full of people who find any PM band awesome, no matter if it's really awesome or if it's utter crap.

Power metal has some ridiculous fans, and I for one hate to get lumped together with those PM fans. I don't go to power metal forums for a reason. Because they are incapable of either forming or acting according to their own opinions, they just act like all power metal is good. I'm sure many of them put no actual effort into looking past the more mainstream bands either.

Not all the fans are like that though. I, for one, started out listening to mainstream power metal and now I listen to basically anything melodic with a little extreme metal thrown in. Power metal is still my favorite genre, whether it be US or European, and it does upset me when people attack ALL power metal because of the mainstream generic bands and their annoying fans.

Alternative metal gets the same rap here b/c you are constantly barraged by the crappy generic nu metal and mallcore bands and the mallgoths that worship them. That doesn't mean there aren't good alternative metal bands by any means, quite the contrary.
----

27.03.2009 - 23:47
Lord_Regnier
Written by Hrothdane on 27.03.2009 at 07:58

Power metal has some ridiculous fans, and I for one hate to get lumped together with those PM fans. I don't go to power metal forums for a reason. Because they are incapable of either forming or acting according to their own opinions, they just act like all power metal is good. I'm sure many of them put no actual effort into looking past the more mainstream bands either.

Not all the fans are like that though. I, for one, started out listening to mainstream power metal and now I listen to basically anything melodic with a little extreme metal thrown in. Power metal is still my favorite genre, whether it be US or European, and it does upset me when people attack ALL power metal because of the mainstream generic bands and their annoying fans.

Alternative metal gets the same rap here b/c you are constantly barraged by the crappy generic nu metal and mallcore bands and the mallgoths that worship them. That doesn't mean there aren't good alternative metal bands by any means, quite the contrary.

I totally agree. I was one of the main members on a Powermetal forum, being ranked 27th out of over 13 000 members until a few days ago, so I know very well the kind of behaviour you mention. Many PM fans can't deal with criticism, for them almost every single crap on the market is awesome.

I appreciate the fact that, here, we can post criticism and negative opinions without having a bunch of fanboys/fangirls coming to defend their dear beloved genre each time we do it, even if they have no valid argument to defend their position but only say any silly thing they can find to support their biased opinion. They don't even realise that by finding every crap awesome and buying mediocre albums, they contribute to the destruction of real, good, Power/speed metal.

Personally, I will never log on a forum that is basically a PM forum again. Way too much blind fanboyism for my tastes. I mean, I'm a huge BM fan now but does it mean I enjoy every BM band? Surely not, I have more common sense than that. Does it mean I can't respect any other metal genre (many of those people say things like "BM is senseless noise that damages ears and brains"), no matter if I listen to it or not? Absolutely not. And, if I like a band very much, does it mean I enjoy all their albums and they're all masterpieces? Not by any stretch.
We need to use our common sense in our opinions but the kind of people you described don't. It's only their blind passion that leads them.
----
28.03.2009 - 00:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 23:47

I totally agree. I was one of the main members on a Powermetal forum, being ranked 27th out of over 13 000 members until a few days ago, so I know very well the kind of behaviour you mention. Many PM fans can't deal with criticism, for them almost every single crap on the market is awesome.

These types of people exist in pretty much any corner of music, to corner it in to a Power Metal fan characteristic isn't exactly fair.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.03.2009 - 00:15
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 28.03.2009 at 00:02

These types of people exist in pretty much any corner of music, to corner it in to a Power Metal fan characteristic isn't exactly fair.

True. I can't deny it. I've met a few BM fans that were quite crazy on some BM forums and went completely mad if you had the bad luck to criticize a band they like. However, this 'everything is awesome' attitude is more widespread among PM fans. Also, lots of PM fans know pretty much nothing about metal, apart from PM, because other than that they listen mostly to mainstream stuff, so they lack the ability and knowledge to analize metal music thoroughly (they don't have enough points of comparison), thus they have a high level of leniency towards mediocre music, they lack criticism.

That being said, I won't start to post on threads dedicated to PM bands. I told what I think of PM, especially recent PM. My post on the Edguy thread was only to let an old internet friend know that I come on this board. I'm a BM fan and I'm here to talk about BM.

By the way, do you people know some other good forums for extreme music?
----
28.03.2009 - 04:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.03.2009 at 00:15

Written by Doc G. on 28.03.2009 at 00:02

True. I can't deny it. I've met a few BM fans that were quite crazy on some BM forums and went completely mad if you had the bad luck to criticize a band they like. However, this 'everything is awesome' attitude is more widespread among PM fans. Also, lots of PM fans know pretty much nothing about metal, apart from PM, because other than that they listen mostly to mainstream stuff, so they lack the ability and knowledge to analize metal music thoroughly (they don't have enough points of comparison), thus they have a high level of leniency towards mediocre music, they lack criticism.

That being said, I won't start to post on threads dedicated to PM bands. I told what I think of PM, especially recent PM. My post on the Edguy thread was only to let an old internet friend know that I come on this board. I'm a BM fan and I'm here to talk about BM.

By the way, do you people know some other good forums for extreme music?

Once again, most of that stuff can also be applied to lots of other music.

As far as other forums, couldn't tell you, this is really the only forum I use.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.03.2009 - 00:17
Wyrd
At least Power Metal isn't BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD HATE HATE HATE HATE DEATH DEATH DEATH!!!!!!!!
And you can actually understand whatb there saying.
----
29.03.2009 - 13:01
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Wyrd on 29.03.2009 at 00:17

At least Power Metal isn't BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD HATE HATE HATE HATE DEATH DEATH DEATH!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's DRAGON DRAGON MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC SWORD GLORY GLORY GLORY
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
29.03.2009 - 15:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by Wyrd on 29.03.2009 at 00:17

I have no intention to fight with you. Sorry to tell you but you sound as one of those Powermetal fanboys who have trouble to deal with criticism against this genre.

And, like the other poster kinda said, we could backfire it at you by saying "at least Black Metal is not always about cheesy stuff".

And you can understand the words in many BM bands, if you're used to listen to harsh vocals, which I highly doubt is your case.
----
29.03.2009 - 16:13
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 05:58

What wrong with Bon Jovi? And where is there a Bon Jovi influence in a power metal band? I am pretty sure that the Bon Jovi comparison is little more than derogatory comparison with little to no actual musical validity, but in case it wasn't, I just might want to check out such a band.

That being said, keyboard laden European power metal is really not my thing. Sometimes I wonder why it's called metal and not rubber. Well each to their own I guess. But I live, breath and sweat 80 US power metal (in the broadest sense). Lizzy Borden, Vicious Rumors and Metal Church are just timeless
29.03.2009 - 16:53
Lord_Regnier
Written by DayFly on 29.03.2009 at 16:13

What wrong with Bon Jovi? And were is there a Bon Jovi influence in a power metal band? I am pretty sure that the Bon Jovi comparison is little more than derogatory comparison with little to no actual musical validity, but in case it wasn't, I just might want to check out such a band.

That being said, keyboard laden European power metal is really not my thing. Sometimes I wonder why it's called metal and not rubber. Well each to their own I guess. But I live, breath and sweat 80 US power metal (in the broadest sense). Lizzy Borden, Vicious Rumors and Metal Church are just timeless

Check recent Edguy, for example (Ministry Of Saints).

Check also recent Avantasia (Lost In Space and Carry Me Over especially).
----
29.03.2009 - 17:03
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Generic is always bad, no matter what genre
Further I don't have the time to listen to generic power metal, I prefer spending my time listening to good power metal (or any other metal style)

Unfortunately I do have to admit that when I was newer to metal than I am now I did suffer from the "power metal illness" as someone before me named it, in other words I generally though most power metal I knew was awesome, as long as it was power metal (especially fast and melodic) I loved it. Now I know better, and that quality is always more important than quantity
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
29.03.2009 - 18:33
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.03.2009 at 16:53

Thanks, I'll be checking it out.
29.03.2009 - 20:33
Lord_Regnier
Written by DayFly on 29.03.2009 at 18:33

Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.03.2009 at 16:53

Thanks, I'll be checking it out.

It's not EXACTLY like Bon Jovi but it shares some similarities with it. When I hear these songs, Bon Jovi instantly comes into my mind.
----
29.03.2009 - 22:41
Lord_Regnier
Written by Bas on 29.03.2009 at 17:03

Unfortunately I do have to admit that when I was newer to metal than I am now I did suffer from the "power metal illness" as someone before me named it, in other words I generally though most power metal I knew was awesome, as long as it was power metal (especially fast and melodic) I loved it. Now I know better, and that quality is always more important than quantity

And I know very well how most PM fans go through the phase you describe. Personally, I've been a big PM fan years ago but I never experienced this phase. As much as I enjoyed PM years ago, I've always been picky. I'v always hated shitty mainstream albums like Helloween's "Chameleon".

I believe most people come in contact with metal with standard heavy metal and PM because these genres are much closer to 'commercial' music than Thrash, Death, Black or Doom metal. And I'm not saying that PM can't be enjoyable but lots of people start to slowly realise, at some point, that there are other genres more technical, harder to play and more metal than PM is, especially as this genre becomes increasingly mediocre as time goes by and many bands lean more towards hard rock than metal nowadays.

As for this quality vs quantity issue, I can ensure you we have the same problem with Black Metal. There are way too many bands these days and it's true for every metal genre.
----
29.03.2009 - 22:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I would recommend all non-discernative power metal fans (so that is not people like Lord_gernier who seems to be able to differentiate between good proper power metal and generic flowery top 40 billboard crap such as Celesty) to listen to some of the happiest music around http://www.myspace.com/profetus
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.03.2009 - 05:48
Hrothdane
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.03.2009 at 22:41

Written by Bas on 29.03.2009 at 17:03

And I know very well how most PM fans go through the phase you describe. Personally, I've been a big PM fan years ago but I never experienced this phase. As much as I enjoyed PM years ago, I've always been picky. I'v always hated shitty mainstream albums like Helloween's "Chameleon".

I believe most people come in contact with metal with standard heavy metal and PM because these genres are much closer to 'commercial' music than Thrash, Death, Black or Doom metal. And I'm not saying that PM can't be enjoyable but lots of people start to slowly realise, at some point, that there are other genres more technical, harder to play and more metal than PM is, especially as this genre becomes increasingly mediocre as time goes by and many bands lean more towards hard rock than metal nowadays.

As for this quality vs quantity issue, I can ensure you we have the same problem with Black Metal. There are way too many bands these days and it's true for every metal genre.

You make some good points here. The genre as a whole is overcrowded, but I part of the blame for the state of the power metal scene goes to the metalheads that never look past the stereotypes about PM. I'm always hearing people say that the genre is about happiness and flowers and unicorns and magic with guys singing super-high, but that is only a fraction of the genre. Take Sabaton for example: their singer has a deep, powerful voice and every song since their debut has been about war. Blind Guardian, who helped pioneer the genre, does take great inspiration from literary sources, mostly fantasy based, but they also have many songs like Imaginations from the Other Side or Wait for an Answer or Punishment Divine that express intriguing ideas. I could go on into Tarot or Wuthering Heights or Kamelot, but I think you get the point.

Mind you, I think there is nothing wrong with not liking power metal; its not for everyone. I'm just saying people don't give it a chance.

As for many power metal bands going into hard rock, the only examples I'm familiar with are Tobias Sammet's projects. I was never a huge fan of Edguy or Avantasia to begin with, and now he seems to be pulling a Michael Kiske move.

As a personal note, I feel I must thank you for being able to discuss your issues with the power metal scene respectfully and thoughtfully, unlike some people...
----

30.03.2009 - 08:32
ForeverDarkWoods
Power metal has IMO suffered a huge decline in quality just over the past 5 to 10 years. Where we used to have bands like Helloween, early Blind Guardian, early Kamelot and other such good and unique power metal bands, we today have Dragonforce, Alestorm, Sonata Arctica, Fairyland and such who most of the time are the epitome of blandness and don't really add much to an already overcrowded scene which is rife with the recent commercialization of the classic bands.

The tag "generic" never means that it's any good. "Generic" means "boring, uninventive and lacking in real quality". These are the bands we've been seeing a huge influx of into the scene for the last 10 years. On top of that, most of the older bands also have become quite generic nowadays. Out of Europe, one of the few power metal bands who's still got it in them is Helloween. Nearly all newer bands I've heard ouut of the Euro have been lame and derivative. This is what "generic" means.

It ain't nothing wrong with being a little cheesy/flowery once in a while, but there sure as hell is something wrong with being generic, lame, boring, derivative and uninspired. This is the problem of this so called "generic power metal" of today's European scene (making up most of it). Therefore I vote "flower metal is for wimps", but the more complex answer is "generic Euro flower metal (the type this topic regards) is damn lame and therefore would appeal mostly to people who would swallow just about anything a crappy scene happens to spit out".

I think USPM is generally MUCH better though.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
30.03.2009 - 14:16
Lord_Regnier
Written by Hrothdane on 30.03.2009 at 05:48

You make some good points here. The genre as a whole is overcrowded, but I part of the blame for the state of the power metal scene goes to the metalheads that never look past the stereotypes about PM. I'm always hearing people say that the genre is about happiness and flowers and unicorns and magic with guys singing super-high, but that is only a fraction of the genre. Take Sabaton for example: their singer has a deep, powerful voice and every song since their debut has been about war. Blind Guardian, who helped pioneer the genre, does take great inspiration from literary sources, mostly fantasy based, but they also have many songs like Imaginations from the Other Side or Wait for an Answer or Punishment Divine that express intriguing ideas. I could go on into Tarot or Wuthering Heights or Kamelot, but I think you get the point.

Mind you, I think there is nothing wrong with not liking power metal; its not for everyone. I'm just saying people don't give it a chance.

As for many power metal bands going into hard rock, the only examples I'm familiar with are Tobias Sammet's projects. I was never a huge fan of Edguy or Avantasia to begin with, and now he seems to be pulling a Michael Kiske move.

As a personal note, I feel I must thank you for being able to discuss your issues with the power metal scene respectfully and thoughtfully, unlike some people...

Personally, I think many Powermetal fans are responsible for the decline in quality of this genre and its current general mediocrity because of their total lack of criticism. They buy every bullshit available on the market so why would bands put any effort in their work, if a crappy album will sell almost as good as a masterpiece?

I have nothing against 'swords and dragons' stuff. I'm a fan of fantasy in general. I love fantasy books, etc. When I say that I hate cheesiness, I mean I hate things that are so cliché they become laughable, are completely shallow, have no artistic quality from my point of view. You can write lyrics about medieval or fantasy stuff without falling into utter cheese. Some of the BM bands I listen to have lyrics close to what you can hear from PM bands. However, their music doesn't feel cheesy at all when you hear it.

I think there is nothing wrong with not liking something. I have no problem with it when people don't like something I enjoy. Unlike fanboys, I don't take criticism towards a band I like as a personal attack against me. That's probably why I dislike fanboys, I have trouble to understand that oversensitive and biased attitude.

Lots of PM bands released albums that sound hard rock-ish in the last few years or albums that contain some songs that are much more commercial than before. And I hate Sammet, he becomes more and more arrogant with time. He acts as a cocky asshole since a few years and spits on real Power/speed metal everytime he gets a chance. Imo, he's so arrogant now he could challenge Joey DeMaio in a contest for the most arrogant personality in the metal scene. (please no debate on Manowar)

I discuss my issues with this genre respectfully for one reason: people on this board are reasonable and don't act like blind fanboys. You can like or dislike something, I have no problem with it. Tastes differ, it's an undeniable fact. However, loving something so much you're unable to criticize it or being objective in any way is quite annoying.
----
30.03.2009 - 14:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.03.2009 at 08:32

Power metal has IMO suffered a huge decline in quality just over the past 5 to 10 years. Where we used to have bands like Helloween, early Blind Guardian, early Kamelot and other such good and unique power metal bands, we today have Dragonforce, Alestorm, Sonata Arctica, Fairyland and such who most of the time are the epitome of blandness and don't really add much to an already overcrowded scene which is rife with the recent commercialization of the classic bands.

The tag "generic" never means that it's any good. "Generic" means "boring, uninventive and lacking in real quality". These are the bands we've been seeing a huge influx of into the scene for the last 10 years. On top of that, most of the older bands also have become quite generic nowadays. Out of Europe, one of the few power metal bands who's still got it in them is Helloween. Nearly all newer bands I've heard ouut of the Euro have been lame and derivative. This is what "generic" means.

It ain't nothing wrong with being a little cheesy/flowery once in a while, but there sure as hell is something wrong with being generic, lame, boring, derivative and uninspired. This is the problem of this so called "generic power metal" of today's European scene (making up most of it). Therefore I vote "flower metal is for wimps", but the more complex answer is "generic Euro flower metal (the type this topic regards) is damn lame and therefore would appeal mostly to people who would swallow just about anything a crappy scene happens to spit out".

I think USPM is generally MUCH better though.

I totally agree with everything you say here. The only thing on which my opinion differs is I don't like Helloween at all after Kai Hansen's departure.
----