Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
03.04.2009 - 02:02
Crazy Booduh
I first got into power/prog metal with Symphony X a couple years ago, and at first I was eating up all these other PM bands like candy.

A couple months later I started realizing that most of these bands I was listening to were all starting to sound the same. It's pretty disgusting now trying to find bands that are worth my time and money. I have to look through 15-20 bands before finding one that actually piques my interest.

I hate it, and it kind of turns me off of the genre as a whole even though there are some worthwhile bands there. It's a little depressing having to ask myself if its worth wading through the shit to find the gold, you know?
03.04.2009 - 04:41
Hrothdane
Written by Crazy Booduh on 03.04.2009 at 02:02

I first got into power/prog metal with Symphony X a couple years ago, and at first I was eating up all these other PM bands like candy.

A couple months later I started realizing that most of these bands I was listening to were all starting to sound the same. It's pretty disgusting now trying to find bands that are worth my time and money. I have to look through 15-20 bands before finding one that actually piques my interest.

I hate it, and it kind of turns me off of the genre as a whole even though there are some worthwhile bands there. It's a little depressing having to ask myself if its worth wading through the shit to find the gold, you know?

That is what I love about this website. It does so much of the wading for you. I can look at comments people have made about bands, reviews for albums, and ratings from people that have similar taste. I probably would have never discovered bands like Nevermore or Wuthering Heights without metalstorm.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
08.04.2009 - 14:03
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Crazy Booduh on 03.04.2009 at 02:02

At the same time where this can be fairly frustrating, it's the charm with European Power Metal. You need to work your way to find the gold. When you find it, you've really earned it. That can be a great feeling when it does happen, a feeling of satisfaction. I've been there and I know how it is. It took me a little longer than a couple of months to realize what you've realized though. But when you've realized it everything gets clearer the more you're searching for the gold. This is the core of Power Metal. At least that's what I believe
08.04.2009 - 15:30
Black_Sheep
European power metal used to be great. Now, most of the bands are just releasing hard rockish garbage. Edguy, Freedom Call, HammerFall, Avantasia, and of course Helloween. They all have turned their backs on power metal. Gamma Ray is one of the few PM bands that still play PM and kick ass. Also Stormwarrior is great.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
10.04.2009 - 04:27
Wyrd
Written by Black_Sheep on 08.04.2009 at 15:30

European power metal used to be great. Now, most of the bands are just releasing hard rockish garbage. Edguy, Freedom Call, HammerFall, Avantasia, and of course Helloween. They all have turned their backs on power metal. Gamma Ray is one of the few PM bands that still play PM and kick ass. Also Stormwarrior is great.

I onley listen to power metal and even I think those bands have lost there roots. But some of the more new band are pretty good like like Falconer, Dream Evil and Icewind.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
10.04.2009 - 06:12
Lord_Regnier

I agree 100%. All the old PM bands are dead from a PM point of view, apart from Gamma Ray (which is still excellent). And Stormwarrior is great too, along with Persuader.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.04.2009 - 06:13
Hrothdane

I agree about Edguy, Freedom Call and Avantasia, but Helloween is still releasing good material; Gambling with the Devil was a great metal album for example. Granted, The Rabbit Doesn't Come Easy was a little silly, and I haven't heard keeper 3 yet, but Gambling with the Devil showed me (and a lot of other people) that they could still put out a quality product. In fact, I remember that BitterCOld, who has made it well known how little he cares for the genre, put it on his list of favorite albums that year.

HammerFall has honestly always been a fairly mediocre band, and if I didn't love their obsession with paladins and such I probably would have stopped listening to them ages ago. They sound pretty much the same as they always have, which I don't necessarily mind in their case. HammerFall basically is the go-to band for songs about knights and paladins and how awesome they are, a point of view I wish more people had
----

10.04.2009 - 06:16
Lord_Regnier
Written by Wyrd on 10.04.2009 at 04:27

I onley listen to power metal and even I think those bands have lost there roots. But some of the more new band are pretty good like like Falconer, Dream Evil and Icewind.

Falconer is decent musically. However, imo, their vocals are bad. I find their singer quite boring.

Anyway, when it comes to Stefan Weinerhall and Karsten Larsson, I prefered by far their first band, Mithotyn. It was superior to Falconer in every way, from my point of view.
----
10.04.2009 - 06:21
Lord_Regnier
Written by Hrothdane on 10.04.2009 at 06:13

I agree about Edguy, Freedom Call and Avantasia, but Helloween is still releasing good material; Gambling with the Devil was a great metal album for example. Granted, The Rabbit Doesn't Come Easy was a little silly, and I haven't heard keeper 3 yet, but Gambling with the Devil showed me (and a lot of other people) that they could still put out a quality product. In fact, I remember that BitterCOld, who has made it well known how little he cares for the genre, put it on his list of favorite albums that year.

HammerFall has honestly always been a fairly mediocre band, and if I didn't love their obsession with paladins and such I probably would have stopped listening to them ages ago. They sound pretty much the same as they always have, which I don't necessarily mind in their case. HammerFall basically is the go-to band for songs about knights and paladins and how awesome they are, a point of view I wish more people had

Biggest problem with Helloween is they are quite uneven. With this band, you never know if the next album will be acceptable or if it will suck.

Hammerfall have always been mediocre but their first 3 albums were much better than anything they have done after.
----
10.04.2009 - 09:01
Hrothdane
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.04.2009 at 06:16

Written by Wyrd on 10.04.2009 at 04:27

Falconer is decent musically. However, imo, their vocals are bad. I find their singer quite boring.

Anyway, when it comes to Stefan Weinerhall and Karsten Larsson, I prefered by far their first band, Mithotyn. It was superior to Falconer in every way, from my point of view.

I really enjoy Mathias Blad's singing. No other metal singer I'm familiar sounds quite like him. He enunciates clearly, and I have a similar singing voice, so I have an easy time singing along.

I still haven't gotten around to listening to any of Mithotyn yet, but I have been meaning to. How exactly would you describe their sound and lyrics? I usually don't care for black metal, mainly because of the lyrics (although I proudly call myself a misotheistic atheist) and shrieking.

As for your comment about Helloween, I agree absolutely. You get an awesome album like The Dark Ride and then get slapped with The Rabbit Doesn't Come Easy, or Keeper 1 and 2 followed by Chameleon and Pink Bubbles Go Ape. No song called Heavy Metal Hamsters should exist. Ever.
----

10.04.2009 - 18:02
Lord_Regnier
Written by Hrothdane on 10.04.2009 at 09:01

I still haven't gotten around to listening to any of Mithotyn yet, but I have been meaning to. How exactly would you describe their sound and lyrics? I usually don't care for black metal, mainly because of the lyrics (although I proudly call myself a misotheistic atheist) and shrieking.

I would say it's more a mix of Black Metal and Power/Speed Metal, not pure Black Metal. Very melodic, with production that is, imo, rather clean (it doesn't sound raw).

Lyrically, it's pure Viking Metal.

Vocals are almost always harsh vocals but they're not extremely shrieky. If you pay attention. you usually can hear what the vocalist says.

I'm not a guitarist but I think they have very nice riffs.

Drums blast sometimes but it's really not the norm here. Many songs don't have blastbeats. It's not anything like Marduk or Dark Funeral (those bands are basically an exercise in masturblasting on drums).

I think it's a band that is easy to get into for people who are used to Powermetal, because it shares similarities in the sound with PM (real Power/Speed Metal, I mean, it doesn't sound at all like the kind of lame hard rock PM bands are doing nowadays).
----
14.04.2009 - 01:37
DarkMistress
Most likely i tend to like it, somehow it helps keeping you in a good mood :p, naah, well, it´s about the first genre i listened so i have an special affection :p i ljust like it
----
Wait in fire
14.04.2009 - 05:11
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
It's kinda hard to choose really. Other than "It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.", I'm tempted to click all the rest. This type of metal really can be awesome. Fairyland for example leaves me with the feeling of "wow, that was total epicness". But the other day when I decided to give Axxis's Doom of destiny (2007) a shot, I totally felt like it was too much. The vocals were amazing, the songs were extremely catchy, nothing wrong with production or musical performance, it's just that feeling of tired of listening to this kind of thing =/ I deleted it without even halfway through the album...

Of course, there are times where I enjoy this kind of Power Metal more in a happy mood than being worried or depressed. Hammerfall is a typical example (still think the My Sharona cover is great). Yet I think it's not justified to put Kamelot in there, particularly when taking Ghost Opera into account. It's quite a bit darker and has some variation to offer.

For those looking for something else other than euro flower power, I recommend Shadowkeep and Lanfear (=

oh yes, Gamble with the Devil was a nice release imo
----
loves 小巫
14.04.2009 - 05:50
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
There are great happy-europower bands, and a lot of crap also. Its a very saturated genre, but I think the same thing happens with other genres like black metal for example.

Bands like Falconer, Adagio, Heavenly, and others; are very good.
----
14.04.2009 - 07:09
Lord_Regnier
Written by 4look4rd on 14.04.2009 at 05:50

There are great happy-europower bands, and a lot of crap also. Its a very saturated genre, but I think the same thing happens with other genres like black metal for example.

I think that currently all metal genres are saturated, filled of shitty bands. There are way too many bands nowadays and most of them are totally uninteresting.

Yes, Black Metal is saturated too, but we get good albums from this genre much more often than from Powermetal since a while. At least bands don't turn into commercial crap one after the other. I think Black Metal is a genre in which things go well compared to many other genres. Powermetal is a dying genre in which lots of bands can't even be considered as Powermetal anymore because what they're playing now is standard heavy metal or hard rock (and even pop rock in a few cases).
----
14.04.2009 - 17:23
nehrodwarf
I think they awsome, but, has in my opinion, some bad bands. But at all european power metal are great.

I believe that the "magic" must be inspirated by the history and / or literarure, mainly when you saying about stratovarius, rhapsody, blind guardian. Or could be by many conservatories that teaches the classical music for the "future power metal composers" like epica, Af, nightwish and others.

at all, the "good-quality" european power metal it's maid by good musicians and creatives song writters.
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
14.04.2009 - 19:24
Lord_Regnier
Written by nehrodwarf on 14.04.2009 at 17:23

But at all european power metal are great.

Surely not. Actually, Powermetal is probably the genre that is the most plagued by mediocre bands. (Italian PM is especially awful)
----
14.04.2009 - 20:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

I think they awsome, but, has in my opinion, some bad bands. But at all european power metal are great.

huh? awesome - but some bad bands - but all are great?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.04.2009 - 20:34
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 14.04.2009 at 19:24

Surely not. Actually, Powermetal is probably the genre that is the most plagued by mediocre bands. (Italian PM is especially awful)

I assure you, you made your point clear
15.04.2009 - 01:58
Wyrd

No Offence dude, but your probably the biggest Asshole on metal storm. One of the reasons is because whenever some one says something good about a type of metal you have to come back and say how much better Black Metal is. And so I am Respectfully going to ask you to shut the fuck please and thank you.
----
15.04.2009 - 02:29
Lord_Regnier
Written by Wyrd on 15.04.2009 at 01:58

No Offence dude, but your probably the biggest Asshole on metal storm. One of the reasons is because whenever some one says something good about a type of metal you have to come back and say how much better Black Metal is. And so I am Respectfully going to ask you to shut the fuck please and thank you.

No offence dude, but taking into account that your profile says "I hate all Death and Black Metal crap", your reaction doesn't surprise me at all. lol

And if you read the posts above, you'll see that I'm not the one who brought Black Metal on this topic.
4look4rd did.

But I agree with DayFly. I made my points clear enough. I will leave this thread before it becomes too redundant.
----
15.04.2009 - 04:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

No, Thryce is the biggest asshole on MetalStorm. Just ask him.

As for Lord Reg, he's allowed to have his critical opinion of "Generic" powermetal just as you are allowed to be an absolute fanboi to the genre. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read it or don't respond.

The thread very specifically asks about "GENERIC" Euro power metal. NOTHING generic is good. It's bland, mediocre, and without inspiration by definition. If you cannot handle people's criticisms of the genre, I honestly suggest YOU should take some of the advice you imparted on that last post.

Lord Reg has made it abundantly clear he is/was a Power Metal fan. I guess he's just a far more discerning one than you are.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.04.2009 - 07:25
Hrothdane

A few critiques:

1. I have seen a great deal of Lord_Regnier's posts, specifically those related to power metal, and he is one of the few people that I know of on this website that seems willing to give honest critique of power metal without devolving into simple name-calling and genre-bashing. Get your facts straight.

2. You are making the sane power metal fans (like me) look whiny, rude, and unintelligent. Stop that.

3. When people DO bash power metal, don't bash back. You are either being trolled (don't feed the trolls), or its someone like Marcel or Bad English and nothing you do will change their minds.

4. The only time someone ever says "no offence (sic)" is when they are saying something offensive. You can't respectfully ask someone to "shut the fuck (sic)" either. Refer to #2

5. Put some effort into spelling correctly. Refer to #2

That is all.
----

15.04.2009 - 08:18
Lord_Regnier
If people check the "Reviews" section, they can see that I've praised some PM albums recently. I don't hate the genre as a whole. What I hate is all those generic 'happy flowermetal' bands that are mediocre musically, bland, uninspired, ridiculously cheesy, commercial and, in the end, boring to death.

There is a huge difference between Power/speed metal (what I was used to call melodic speed metal a decade ago) and generic flowermetal.

I almost never listen to PM nowadays. However, I still have a lot of respect for REAL Power/speed metal (old Blind Guardian, Stormwarrior, Persuader, Savage Circus, old Helloween, old Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, old Stratovarius, Iron Savior except the last album, etc). I'm not searching for PM albums and bands anymore but it doesn't prevent me to recognize excellent PM music when I hear it.

However, I'll never agree with the trend PM follows since a few years to become commercial and hard rock-ish. Going from PM to some form of basic hard rock is musical devolution and it sucks. After all, when we buy albums from PM bands, we want to hear PM, not radio-friendly stuff.

In short, I have nothing against Power/speed metal but I hate commercial flowermetal (which doesn't even deserve to be called PM from my point of view).

@Falconer: You just happen to be another one of those people who believe anything that sounds kinda like PM is great, no matter if it's really awesome or utter crap. Or maybe you're too ignorant to see the difference between Power/speed metal and commercial hard rock. Anyway, I wished to make a few things clear, that's all. I won't spend my time any longer on debates about the PM genre. And surely not with blind fanboys like you.
----
15.04.2009 - 13:28
DayFly

There is absolutely no reason to get personal or rude. While I agree that Lord Reg is quite insitent on his dislike for power metal, at least he doesn't shove it under other people's noses in the wrong places. In case you did not see this thread is about generic european power metal. It may be debatable among fans of the genre if there actually is such a thing as generic european power metal, but you should have the good sense to realize that this thread is not actually about praising that sort of music.
15.04.2009 - 18:04
Lord_Regnier
It's a bit off-topic but I wish to talk a little about criticism.

Personally, I'm always critical with bands and albums, even those I like very much. I'm a fan of many bands but never a fanboy.

I think it's important to remain critical about things we like, if we want them to stay good. The principle is simple: if we start to buy any crap available on the market without distinction, we'll get almost only crap not far from now (and it's true for EVERY metal genre). Being critical, analizing music and not accepting anything blindly forces bands to release decent stuff, otherwise they will disappear. Fanboys don't seem to realize their 'positive' attitude has a very negative effect. It leads musicians to think "Why would we bother to work hard to create awesome music if crap sells as well as outstanding music?" I think we must be critical in order to preserve quality. And I believe anyone who really loves metal in the right way should understand it and act accordingly. People never help the cause of metal by being fanboys.

I switched to Black Metal a few years ago but do not imagine I'm not critical with this genre. If you read one of my posts above, you'll see that I think this genre is saturated and has lots of shitty bands too. I wasn't a PM fanboy when I listened to this genre everyday and I'm not a BM fanboy now that I listen to it everyday. For me, it's music that is important, not the bandname behind it. I don't care at all if bands are famous or not and never try to be part of a gang or to look smarter through my musical choices. I'm an individualist who doesn't need anyone to think for myself, I make my own choices. Music is a matter of tastes. For example, I absolutely love Hellsaw, no matter if this band is almost completely unknown currently, while I totally hate Burzum's music. I don't give a fuck if people believe I'm a poser because I act this way. I'm true to myself and that's what matters to me. Anyway, I think lots of people are posers by trying to conform their own opinion with that of the metal community, instead of thinking by themselves and make their own choices according to their real tastes in music. Some betray themselves and sacrifice their integrity to be in the gang or because they're afraid they could be criticized. Those people simply lack character to defend their choices and opinions. And, in the end, they lie to others and to themselves.

One last thing: perhaps if people would be more critical we would see much less worthless bands nowadays (again, true for every genre).
----
15.04.2009 - 23:21
Wyrd
Written by Lord_Regnier on 15.04.2009 at 08:18

If people check the "Reviews" section, they can see that I've praised some PM albums recently. I don't hate the genre as a whole. What I hate is all those generic 'happy flowermetal' bands that are mediocre musically, bland, uninspired, ridiculously cheesy, commercial and, in the end, boring to death.

There is a huge difference between Power/speed metal (what I was used to call melodic speed metal a decade ago) and generic flowermetal.

I almost never listen to PM nowadays. However, I still have a lot of respect for REAL Power/speed metal (old Blind Guardian, Stormwarrior, Persuader, Savage Circus, old Helloween, old Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, old Stratovarius, Iron Savior except the last album, etc). I'm not searching for PM albums and bands anymore but it doesn't prevent me to recognize excellent PM music when I hear it.

However, I'll never agree with the trend PM follows since a few years to become commercial and hard rock-ish. Going from PM to some form of basic hard rock is musical devolution and it sucks. After all, when we buy albums from PM bands, we want to hear PM, not radio-friendly stuff.

In short, I have nothing against Power/speed metal but I hate commercial flowermetal (which doesn't even deserve to be called PM from my point of view).

@Falconer: You just happen to be another one of those people who believe anything that sounds kinda like PM is great, no matter if it's really awesome or utter crap. Or maybe you're too ignorant to see the difference between Power/speed metal and commercial hard rock. Anyway, I wished to make a few things clear, that's all. I won't spend my time any longer on debates about the PM genre. And surely not with blind fanboys like you.

Whow sorry for what I said the other day, I did not mean to make everyone angry, I was VARY pissed off the other day by personel matters and I wrongfully took it out on you Lord_Regnier and I apologize for it Greatly.

P.S. I am not a Blind fan boy, I try most of the time to be open minded to other kinds of metal like Black and Death, and I do know the difference between good PM and Shit PM . And I do get angry when a Hard Rackish band is classed as PM. and there are many SHIT PM bands out there, just to clear things up.:)
----
16.04.2009 - 00:34
Wyrd
Written by Hrothdane on 15.04.2009 at 07:25

A few critiques:

1. I have seen a great deal of Lord_Regnier's posts, specifically those related to power metal, and he is one of the few people that I know of on this website that seems willing to give honest critique of power metal without devolving into simple name-calling and genre-bashing. Get your facts straight.

2. You are making the sane power metal fans (like me) look whiny, rude, and unintelligent. Stop that.

3. When people DO bash power metal, don't bash back. You are either being trolled (don't feed the trolls), or its someone like Marcel or Bad English and nothing you do will change their minds.

4. The only time someone ever says "no offence (sic)" is when they are saying something offensive. You can't respectfully ask someone to "shut the fuck (sic)" either. Refer to #2

5. Put some effort into spelling correctly. Refer to #2

That is all.

How am I whiny, rude, and unintelligent? Plus it had nothing to do with me being a PM fan. But yes I understand how it would make all PM fans look bad, and I am sorry for being a huge Prick the other day,
as I said above I was pissed off about pesonal matters.
----
16.04.2009 - 00:44
Lord_Regnier
Written by Wyrd on 15.04.2009 at 23:21

Whow sorry for what I said the other day, I did not mean to make everyone angry, I was VARY pissed off the other day by personel matters and I wrongfully took it out on you Lord_Regnier and I apologize for it Greatly.

P.S. I am not a Blind fan boy, I try most of the time to be open minded to other kinds of metal and I do know the difference between good PM and Shit PM and all that commercial and hard rock stuff, just to clear things up.:)

And I accept your apologies. No problem man. I'm really not someone spiteful, I can have a heaten debate with someone and then agree with him a few minutes later on another topic. You really need to be an asshole and act as a douchebag constantly for me to hate you.

Sorry if I called you a fanboy and it doesn't fit you. I met so many fanboys on Powermetal forums that I tend to think "damn, another one of those annoying fanboys" when people react angrily to criticism against this genre.

As for being open-minded to other genres, it has no importance to me how many genres you like or dislike. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys any genre myself, as I'm very picky when it comes to music and usually focus on what I like the most. I mentioned the sentence on your profile only because you said that I "spend my time saying Black Metal is better than other genres" (something like that). You sounded like those people who like only PM (when it comes to metal music) and think that "Death and Black Metal are only senseless noise that damages ears and brains". You have the right to dislike these genres but if you say such things, then you don't understand these genres. I have no way to know if it's only a matter of taste in your case or if you don't understand Death and Black Metal (which is not a crime anyway). Only you can tell here.

And very good if you know the difference between real Power/speed metal and the kind of commercial hard rock many bands release since a few years. Trust me, there are lots of people who don't see the difference (or don't want to see it). Again here, I understand that some people like that kind of hard rock-ish Powermetal but if they don't see the difference between it and real PM, then their knowledge has some gap. Problem is PM has changed so much in the last 10 years that lots of people (especially those who weren't there when it all started in the 80s) sometimes have a wrong conception of what PM really is/was. The line between PM and hard rock, which was very clear 15-20 years ago, becomes blurred more and more with time, to the point it confuses people and leads them to believe that it's normal if PM is soft, slow, overpolished and sometimes radio-friendly oriented, while originally it had a certain roughness, it was fast and sounded raw (raw like Helloween's "Walls of Jericho" here, not like Darkthrone's "Under A Funeral Moon") and surely not mainstream or radio-friendly oriented. That's what happens when a genre changes too much: it divides the fanbase in two camps. Those who don't mind the change and those who want things to stay as they were. I belong to the latter group.
----
16.04.2009 - 01:08
Wyrd
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.04.2009 at 00:44

Written by Wyrd on 15.04.2009 at 23:21

P.S. I am not a Blind fan boy, I try most of the time to be open minded to other kinds of metal and I do know the difference between good PM and Shit PM and all that commercial and hard rock stuff, just to clear things up.:)

And I accept your apologies. No problem man. I'm really not someone spiteful, I can have a heaten debate with someone and then agree with him a few minutes later on another topic. You really need to be an asshole and act as a douchebag constantly for me to hate you.

Sorry if I called you a fanboy and it doesn't fit you. I met so many fanboys on Powermetal forums that I tend to think "damn, another one of those annoying fanboys" when people react angrily to criticism against this genre.

As for being open-minded to other genres, it has no importance to me how many genres you like or dislike. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys any genre myself, as I'm very picky when it comes to music and usually focus on what I like the most. I mentioned the sentence on your profile only because you said that I "spend my time saying Black Metal is better than other genres" (something like that). You sounded like those people who like only PM (when it comes to metal music) and think that "Death and Black Metal are only senseless noise that damages ears and brains". You have the right to dislike these genres but if you say such things, then you don't understand these genres. I have no way to know if it's only a matter of taste in your case or if you don't understand Death and Black Metal (which is not a crime anyway). Only you can tell here.

And very good if you know the difference between real Power/speed metal and the kind of commercial hard rock many bands release since a few years. Trust me, there are lots of people who don't see the difference (or don't want to see it). Again here, I understand that some people like that kind of hard rock-ish Powermetal but if they don't see the difference between it and real PM, then their knowledge has some gap. Problem is PM has changed so much in the last 10 years that lots of people (especially those who weren't there when it all started in the 80s) sometimes have a wrong conception of what PM really is/was. The line between PM and hard rock, which was very clear 15-20 years ago, becomes blurred more and more with time, to the point it confuses people and leads them to believe that it's normal if PM is soft, slow, overpolished and sometimes radio-friendly oriented, while originally it had a certain roughness, it was fast and sounded raw (raw like Helloween's "Walls of Jericho" here, not like Darkthrone's "Under A Funeral Moon") and surely not mainstream or radio-friendly oriented. That's what happens when a genre changes too much: it divides the fanbase in two camps. Those who don't mind the change and those who want things to stay as they were. I belong to the latter group.

Thank you vary much for understanding I'm not like that all the time only when I'm pissed off and I have been really Pissed Off the last couple of day's. Another thing is that I used to be a hardcore Death Metal fan and one day I came accros a band called Stratovarius and I found Power Metal and now I think how the Hell could I ever have liked that and now I cant even listin to it any more with out having to get angry.
----