Metal Storm logo
Children Of Bodom

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.09.2007 - 15:49
New thread for CoB.

Last discussion was about the new song, "Tie My Rope", and the upcoming album of course.

Continue the discussion!
01.04.2009 - 05:36
bard
Hmm... I was considering seeing them live next month, but it would involve sitting through some metalcore stuff... Anyone have advice on how Alexi does live these days?
----
01.04.2009 - 06:03
Lord_Regnier
Covers of Britney Spears and Rhianna???

Sometimes, I wonder what the fuck is happening with metal today.

I'll never understand metal bands who do such lame bullshit, even as a joke. I mean, metal is supposed to be at the opposite direction of any mainstream garbage. Imo, metal musicians and fans are supposed to hate and spit on crap like Britney Spears and Rhianna. Why would metal bands and why would us, as metal fans, would even bother to spend any time on shitty radio-friendly stuff of that kind? Sorry but bands who do this loose all my respect. It makes them look as lame posers and brainless drifters who have no better to do than loose their time on unbelievably silly and childish things. Shitty garbage like Britney Slut and Rhianna don't even exist in my own universe, if you see what I mean. I wouldn't even loose my time mocking them in a song if I was in a band. Commercial crap deserves only one thing: to disappear into oblivion, to be so ignored it will fall into nothingness for eternity.

And I have a very low sense of humour, so I never enjoy things like that. I find them just plain retarded.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
01.04.2009 - 07:28
Fhuesc
Written by Doc G. on 01.04.2009 at 04:01

Written by Fhuesc on 31.03.2009 at 22:45

Written by Janne on 31.03.2009 at 22:23

Written by Fhuesc on 31.03.2009 at 21:56

Just when i thought they couldn't go lower...

It's just fun..

Watch this video and tell me if you see those metalheads having fun.

Thats the worst argument you could have used. First of all, it looks like it was recorded on someones cell phone camera, so the quality doesn't really show past 5 feet. Secondly, look how far back that is, of course the people at the back aren't going crazy, generally the people hanging at the back only have a slight interest in the band if any at all. Show me a video of the people at the front being bored, then I'll believe you.

It is for fun, and I can appreciate a band that has a sense of humour, makes things interesting.

Agree with the quality, i never question that. But normally the people on the front, are fanboys, and they would cheer, dance, sing every piece of crap that the band plays. For fun? you and i have different concepts of fun, a Frank Sinatra cover would be ok, but a Rihanna cover crosses the line between fun and crap.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.04.2009 - 10:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fhuesc on 01.04.2009 at 07:28

Agree with the quality, i never question that. But normally the people on the front, are fanboys, and they would cheer, dance, sing every piece of crap that the band plays.

Then theres absolutely no way to tell now is there?

Quote:

For fun? you and i have different concepts of fun, a Frank Sinatra cover would be ok, but a Rihanna cover crosses the line between fun and crap.

I could understand if they decided to play an entire tour based off of shitty pop covers, but its obviously just tongue in cheek. I find it to be a nice break and puts a human face on a genre thats becoming a joke in itself because of the cartoonishly-serious image many bands actually work towards. I'd be surprised if it was the entire song anyways, when I saw them they played like about a minute or so from some Journey song just for a laugh. I mean, a Rihanna cover wouldn't be my first choice, but I enjoy their Ramones & Andrew WK covers enough that I'll probably check out a covers compilation.

and @ Lord_Regnier: Metal isn't "supposed" to be anything, its music, not a fucking religion. I wish people would stop treating it as such, it actually kind of kills it in a way. Maybe thats what metal is to you, or your friends growing up, but to state what metal should be about is ludicrous.

BTW- Does anyone have a link to proof of this supposed covers compilation?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.04.2009 - 14:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 01.04.2009 at 10:30

and @ Lord_Regnier: Metal isn't "supposed" to be anything, its music, not a fucking religion. I wish people would stop treating it as such, it actually kind of kills it in a way. Maybe thats what metal is to you, or your friends growing up, but to state what metal should be about is ludicrous.

What I meant is metal should stay away as much as it can from shitty mainstream music because, when metal starts to flirt with commercial music, then it starts to suck. And CoB is the perfect example to portray this. They do covers of crappy radio-friendly stuff on stage and look at their last album: "Bloodrunk" sucks balls.

It's like all those Powermetal bands who start to flirt with hard rock. It causes devolution in their music and those bands suck, they release only pure garbage.
----
01.04.2009 - 14:14
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.04.2009 at 06:03

I mean, metal is supposed to be at the opposite direction of any mainstream garbage. Imo, metal musicians and fans are supposed to hate and spit on crap like Britney Spears and Rhianna.

If people like you had their way, metal would become just as conformist as the music and culture you seem to despise.
01.04.2009 - 18:08
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress

BTW- Does anyone have a link to proof of this supposed covers compilation?

No other links than those that lead to the Finnish newspaper websites. I guess those wouldn't help you all that much.

People should not take this whole cover album thing so seriously. COB has always done things that some people may see as something stupid. In my opinion it's just nice and refreshing. Besides, COB has played those songs and melodies on each of their gig in the last few years. At some point Janne just always starts playing either Titanic theme or some Finnish pop song theme. No one is forced to listen to that album. In fact I've heard of people that smashed all the COB albums they owned, when COB released the single that included their Britney Spears cover.
----
You'll never walk alone.
02.04.2009 - 06:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.04.2009 at 14:12

What I meant is metal should stay away as much as it can from shitty mainstream music because, when metal starts to flirt with commercial music, then it starts to suck. And CoB is the perfect example to portray this. They do covers of crappy radio-friendly stuff on stage and look at their last album: "Bloodrunk" sucks balls.

It's like all those Powermetal bands who start to flirt with hard rock. It causes devolution in their music and those bands suck, they release only pure garbage.

For you maybe, then don't listen to it, simple as that. Metal should or shouldn't do anything, once again, its music, not a religion. Them playing radio friendly hits on stage has nothing to do with gaining popularity, but rather to give people a laugh, I still don't get why people are acting so offended over it, I think its just another excuse to bash CoB, no one really bashes Sodom for covering a Simon & Garfunkel song now do they?

Although I will agree that Blooddrunk was bad, them doing pop covers for a laugh and putting out a shitty album aren't correlated.
----
- George Carlin
02.04.2009 - 14:07
Lord_Regnier
Written by DayFly on 01.04.2009 at 14:14

I mean, metal is supposed to be at the opposite direction of any mainstream garbage. Imo, metal musicians and fans are supposed to hate and spit on crap like Britney Spears and Rhianna.

If people like you had their way, metal would become just as conformist as the music and culture you seem to despise.

As long as metal remains metal and doesn't become tainted by pop music, I don't care if it's a bit conformist or whatever. I can't stand filthy superficial things, it makes me sick. And pop music is all about superficiality. It's not a matter of talent but a matter of how shaped your ass is and how big your boobs are. To be honest, I don't listen to 'commercial' music since at least twenty years, I just happen to hear some 'by accident', when I can't avoid it. I'm totally anti-commercial in my musical tastes.

And, as someone else said earlier, I don't think most people who liked CoB years ago find those things funny now. Tons of people say this band is awful after "Follow The Reaper".
----
02.04.2009 - 15:18
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 02.04.2009 at 14:07

Written by DayFly on 01.04.2009 at 14:14

As long as metal remains metal and doesn't become tainted by pop music, I don't care if it's a bit conformist or whatever. I can't stand filthy superficial things, it makes me sick. And pop music is all about superficiality. It's not a matter of talent but a matter of how shaped your ass is and how big your boobs are. To be honest, I don't listen to 'commercial' music since at least twenty years, I just happen to hear some 'by accident', when I can't avoid it. I'm totally anti-commercial in my musical tastes.

And, as someone else said earlier, I don't think most people who liked CoB years ago find those things funny now. Tons of people say this band is awful after "Follow The Reaper".

Excuse me for saying so but that is really boorish comment and not a truthful one in the least. You don't have to be very abraisive or sell few records to be sincere about your music.
02.04.2009 - 17:26
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by DayFly on 02.04.2009 at 15:18

Excuse me for saying so but that is really boorish comment and not a truthful one in the least. You don't have to be very abraisive or sell few records to be sincere about your music.

I believe what COB's problem is, which he's trying to illustrate is the following (which I also believe to be true):

Popularity is not necissarily a bad thing but the pursuit of such might damage your musiccal integrity.

It's the same about these lame joke songs really. If you adapt your music to be funny rather than pursuing an artistic vision then the integrity of the music won't remain intact for long.

This is COB's problem, not that they sell many records. A bunch of better metal bands (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc) sell many more records than Bodom and they're still good.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
02.04.2009 - 18:08
Janne
Hugin
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 02.04.2009 at 17:26

I believe what COB's problem is, which he's trying to illustrate is the following (which I also believe to be true):

Popularity is not necissarily a bad thing but the pursuit of such might damage your musiccal integrity.

It's the same about these lame joke songs really. If you adapt your music to be funny rather than pursuing an artistic vision then the integrity of the music won't remain intact for long.

This is COB's problem, not that they sell many records. A bunch of better metal bands (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc) sell many more records than Bodom and they're still good.

Cob is still much better than Iron Maiden and other old shits!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
02.04.2009 - 19:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 02.04.2009 at 18:08

lol this goes in the funny quotes thread!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.04.2009 - 19:29
Janne
Hugin
Written by Elio on 02.04.2009 at 19:23

Why?? I'm drunk so please don't fuck with me..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
02.04.2009 - 20:36
Rozz
Written by Janne on 02.04.2009 at 19:29

cob could have been ledgend but there last two albums where shit big disapointment to me and my country of finland haha
02.04.2009 - 21:34
Fhuesc
I insist that the problem with the covers is the original SONG, not the ARTIST. Lets take the umbrella song for example, the lyrics are a joke, the whole song is like: umbrella umbrella eh eh eh eh la la la, and the music, if i can call it that way, is some lame, i now that cob music lately has been lame too, but this one is just too much. If CoB wants to make funny covers, they should choose another, less retarded, pop songs, like REM or Elton John.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
02.04.2009 - 21:51
Janne
Hugin
Written by Rozz on 02.04.2009 at 20:36

cob could have been ledgend but there last two albums where shit big disapointment to me and my country of finland haha

As I have discussed with one of my friends today the last 2 CoB albums are totally not finnish.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
02.04.2009 - 23:06
Rozz
Written by Janne on 02.04.2009 at 21:51

Written by Rozz on 02.04.2009 at 20:36

As I have discussed with one of my friends today the last 2 CoB albums are totally not finnish.

sooo true !
03.04.2009 - 00:15
Lord_Regnier

I agree.
----
21.09.2009 - 13:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
The "Aces High" cover is great but I wonder why Alexi doesn't growl like that anymore? His voice in that cover is awesome, while the two latest studio albums have had kinda average growl.
----
21.09.2009 - 20:48
Janne
Hugin
Written by Warman on 21.09.2009 at 13:47

The "Aces High" cover is great but I wonder why Alexi doesn't growl like that anymore? His voice in that cover is awesome, while the two latest studio albums have had kinda average growl.

yup it's very annoying that in the last 2 albums I can catch what he sings.. :/
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.10.2009 - 03:12
Dammit that was horrible i love them but damn
----
i like what i like
05.10.2009 - 07:41
His Eminence
Account deleted
Children of Bodom for me were really great until they released Are You Dead Yet. That album and Blooddrunk were really average. My favorites by them are Follow the Reaper and Hate Crew Deathroll.
06.10.2009 - 11:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I wonder what about this "covers album"...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.10.2009 - 03:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Can't even be bothered to check it out...
----
loves 小巫
11.10.2009 - 01:03
Janne
Hugin
Ive got it and listened to some tracks of it (maybe 3 or 4) xD
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
31.12.2009 - 23:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Bitching about cash grabs is a funny thing coming from a person with Trivium, Slipknot, S.O.A.D, In Flames & Cradle Of Filth on their favourite bands list. All of those bands have done just as bad or worse.
----
- George Carlin
02.01.2010 - 22:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.01.2010 at 19:44

Written by Doc G. on 31.12.2009 at 23:49

Bitching about cash grabs is a funny thing coming from a person with Trivium, Slipknot, S.O.A.D, In Flames & Cradle Of Filth on their favourite bands list. All of those bands have done just as bad or worse.

yeah I agree about those bands you've listed, but cover albums/compilations are a bit useless for your collection (or is it just me?)

Depends how you look at it. Personally I think people are just overreacting so they can take another easy pot-shot at CoB. I know personally back when I used to listen to them a lot more I really wanted to get a compilation with all their covers on it...strange how it comes out after I start losing interest in them.
----
- George Carlin
05.01.2010 - 22:56
His Eminence
Account deleted
I haven't listened to Skeletons in the Closet at all...but from what I hear it's not too good. Is it even worth giving a listen?
15.05.2010 - 04:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
Listening to "Stockholm Knockout Live" ATM. Funny thing is that I always think it's so f-ing great, but always have to remind myself that I actually attended that concert!
----