Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
22.06.2012 - 06:47
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I'm really hating that I'm going to be missing Iron Maiden's show in Atlanta this weekend. Grrr. I'm feeling that nauseousness that comes along when I can't make a show I really want to attend.
22.06.2012 - 18:46
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.06.2012 at 06:47

I'm really hating that I'm going to be missing Iron Maiden's show in Atlanta this weekend. Grrr. I'm feeling that nauseousness that comes along when I can't make a show I really want to attend.

Oh no! Why are you missing it?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.06.2012 - 22:13
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 22.06.2012 at 18:46

Oh no! Why are you missing it?

Mainly, family members are coming down to visit me this weekend making it impossible for me to leave to make the trip to Atlanta to see Iron Maiden.
23.06.2012 - 00:48
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Makes sense. I'm going and I'll try to post some pics!!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
23.06.2012 - 01:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Susan on 23.06.2012 at 00:48

Makes sense. I'm going and I'll try to post some pics!!!!

Be sure to take one for me

I'd love to see Iron Maiden, but shows are 6 hours away, and tickets are insanely high for a student like me
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 22:20
Mattybu
I saw Iron Maiden in Toronto on their Final Frontier tour back in 2010. Setlist was a bit weak but it was a good show. Debating on whether or not to see them when they come around.

And yeah tickets were expensive. I remember it was about $40 for lawn "seats".
25.06.2012 - 17:09
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Ok, set list on this tour was awesome! Mostly pre-Seventh Son songs, plus a few newer ones that fit really well and give it a nice flow. I was super happy

I also had $40 lawn seating and I just want to say it was better than actual "seats" I had last time. Saw them several years ago outside of Seattle and the seats were great but once the show starts you're just standing in front of your seat. On the lawn (nearly as close) you can rock out barefoot on the grass and are not confined to one small square of concrete to stand on. One of the best times I've had at a show. Until I can afford the super expensive tickets, lawn it is for me!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
11.07.2012 - 23:07
Guib
Thrash Talker
I saw them few days ago at the ottawa's bluesfest with Alice cooper ! T'was fucking insane ! I mean their set is incredible, and for those who might have heard already, Yes it is true they don't play Hallowed Be Thy Name. But here's the set I got (not in the right order but anyways)

-Moonchild
-Number Of The Beast
-Aces High
-The Evil That Men Do
-Wasted Years
-Running Free
-Iron Maiden
-Phantom Of The Opera
-2 minutes to midnight
-Fear Of The Dark
-Afraid To Shoot Strangers
-Can I Play with madness
-The Evil That Men Do
-Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
-The Trooper
-Run To The Hills

Pretty good if you ask me!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.07.2012 - 16:38
axelx666
Im gonna leave this here:

bruce seems like a really cool person.

my favorite song is: blood brothers
favorite album: the final frontier

to be honest, iron maiden is probably greatest metal band in the world,and i don't think you can argue with that.
this=fact

(i mean they have attained god status)
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
17.08.2012 - 03:20
@gent_-_orange
Written by axelx666 on 13.07.2012 at 16:38

to be honest, iron maiden is probably greatest metal band in the world,and i don't think you can argue with that.
this=fact

Depends on how you define great. Most popular/successful ? Maybe. But I can name many bands I prefer over Iron Maiden. Maiden are a good stepping stone band to get you into Metal but to be honest I gave up on them ages ago.
21.08.2012 - 06:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.08.2012 at 03:20

this=fact

Depends on how you define great. Most popular/successful ? Maybe. But I can name many bands I prefer over Iron Maiden. Maiden are a good stepping stone band to get you into Metal but to be honest I gave up on them ages ago.

Loll.. I see what you mean. But honestly I can't give up on them, you can get tired of some songs I guess.. but Maiden's awesome. No matter how many times you've heard their names of songs, its still one of the greatest metal bands. What they achieved, what they do... and how they do it is incredible. With not so much Media help...
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2012 - 10:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just got my ticket for the Maiden England tour next summer. I'll see them live for the sixth time in eight years. The classic boring stuff can suck my ass. "The Trooper"? Like I care. But there will probably be some awesome stuff that I haven't experienced live before. Although I hate that they're just doing two thirds of the original setlist along with other songs. So far they've skipped "Killers" and "Still Life" from the original! You are tearing me apart, Iron Maiden!!!
----
03.10.2012 - 11:12
Morax
Written by Guib on 11.07.2012 at 23:07

I saw them few days ago at the ottawa's bluesfest with Alice cooper ! T'was fucking insane ! I mean their set is incredible, and for those who might have heard already, Yes it is true they don't play Hallowed Be Thy Name. But here's the set I got (not in the right order but anyways)

-Moonchild
-Number Of The Beast
-Aces High
-The Evil That Men Do
-Wasted Years
-Running Free
-Iron Maiden
-Phantom Of The Opera
-2 minutes to midnight
-Fear Of The Dark
-Afraid To Shoot Strangers
-Can I Play with madness
-The Evil That Men Do
-Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
-The Trooper
-Run To The Hills

Pretty good if you ask me!

Wooow this has been a killer gig no doubt I remember their awsome set list back in 2005 on Early Days tour when they played songs from first four albums.. But this set list is a killer.. Love it..
04.10.2012 - 17:29
Patrick.
Written by Guib on 21.08.2012 at 06:53

this=fact

Loll.. I see what you mean. But honestly I can't give up on them, you can get tired of some songs I guess.. but Maiden's awesome. No matter how many times you've heard their names of songs, its still one of the greatest metal bands. What they achieved, what they do... and how they do it is incredible. With not so much Media help...

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Yupp, Maiden truly is awesome! Guess I'm one of those weirdos who enjoy their new post-reunion stuff much as or even more than their 80's classics.
05.10.2012 - 23:59
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Did anyone hear Steve Harris' new solo album "British Lion" yet? I personally didn't like it, I'm just curious.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.10.2012 - 13:27
Storchillarn
Written by CobiWan1993 on 05.10.2012 at 23:59

Did anyone hear Steve Harris' new solo album "British Lion" yet? I personally didn't like it, I'm just curious.

I struggled to get through the first song. I have no idea what was going there.
06.10.2012 - 14:18
Druss
I've only heard the first single (and watched the horrendous vid), but from just that, I'm not really that enthused about checkin' it out....sounded flat, and if that was a single, you'd assume Steve thought it was strong, or at least had a chorus that could appeal to potential fans or something alone those lines, but it just didn't for me
06.10.2012 - 21:14
I just wish they would play Alexander the Great once live, that song is epic and legendary!!
----
Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderworldInferno?feature=mhee
19.11.2012 - 20:50
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by OptimatumBand on 06.10.2012 at 21:14

I just wish they would play Alexander the Great once live, that song is epic and legendary!!

I know, I saw in a few videos Bruce playing the song with a kazoo just as a joke. It would be great to see it played live for real.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.11.2012 - 11:50
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Written by Patrick. on 04.10.2012 at 17:29

Written by Guib on 21.08.2012 at 06:53

this=fact

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Yupp, Maiden truly is awesome! Guess I'm one of those weirdos who enjoy their new post-reunion stuff much as or even more than their 80's classics.

You are not alone on that one! All the albums after 2000 have been amazing and I really hope I can go see them in 2013 Up the Irons
29.11.2012 - 17:50
Patrick.
Written by Guest on 29.11.2012 at 11:50

You are not alone on that one! All the albums after 2000 have been amazing and I really hope I can go see them in 2013 Up the Irons

Yeah, it's funny how they as songwriters have arguably improved with the last ten years, delivering more variety, more ambitious epic tracks, Bruce doing as good as ever vocally and Gers being an underrated as heck member of the band (he's written masterpieces on all their last albums). I just hope a lot of fans might wake up and see the newest incarnation of the band for what it is, instead of living in the past with a religious attachement while clunching on to "Powerslave" as if their lives depended on it. Their new stuff is sadly very underrated, even among hardcore MaIden fans.

Agreed, I'm sure we'll have ourselves an amazing blast next time they roll into town!
30.11.2012 - 22:31
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Patrick. on 29.11.2012 at 17:50

Yeah, it's funny how they as songwriters have arguably improved with the last ten years, delivering more variety, more ambitious epic tracks, Bruce doing as good as ever vocally and Gers being an underrated as heck member of the band (he's written masterpieces on all their last albums). I just hope a lot of fans might wake up and see the newest incarnation of the band for what it is, instead of living in the past with a religious attachement while clunching on to "Powerslave" as if their lives depended on it. Their new stuff is sadly very underrated, even among hardcore MaIden fans.

Agreed, I'm sure we'll have ourselves an amazing blast next time they roll into town!

Differing opinions..... I'm a huge fan of the first 7 but the new ones, while good albums, are just lacking power and its very common for songs to go on too long. Bruce's vocals also dont sound great to me... not bad ...just without the power of when he was young (no surprise). I would really like to see them lose the prog thing theyre trying to pull off and stick to what theyre good at - catchy and straight forward
01.12.2012 - 02:01
Druss
Written by JÄY on 30.11.2012 at 22:31
Differing opinions..... I'm a huge fan of the first 7 but the new ones, while good albums, are just lacking power and its very common for songs to go on too long. Bruce's vocals also dont sound great to me... not bad ...just without the power of when he was young (no surprise). I would really like to see them lose the prog thing theyre trying to pull off and stick to what theyre good at - catchy and straight forward

This to an extent, but I do think some of the newer stuff is pretty good, almost as good as some of the stuff off the first seven (in my case, a far amount of Brave New World (actually love the hell outta that album) and one or two songs from the next three albums). Apart from those, yes, very little metal can beat some of the best material off their first seven.
01.12.2012 - 04:20
Patrick.

I realize it's a matter of taste. No disrespect, apologies if it was percieved as such.

I just feel a lot of fans are too hung up on what or how a band should sound like, if you know what I mean (not talking about you though or anyone else in particular). I feel the same way about the last Priest offering "Nostradamus". Underrated as heck in my opinion, overlooked, etc, maybe because people want the good old Priest singing about metal, partying, motorcycles from hell and whatnot. I also realize this may not be true, but I do believe that preconcieved notions and expectations can really twist your mind a bit if you recieve something out of the ordinary. Good as it may be, the quality passes by somewhat unnoticed simply because it doesn't gel well with what the person had in mind beforehand of how this was going to be or sound like (though I realize it may not be the best argument in this case, nor the proper place for it either?).

If we think about it, Maiden has always done these long progressive tunes, it's just that lately they've been doing more of them. Bruce, wether we like the sound of his voice or not, is still technically very good I'd say. The range, power, emotion, control, his trademarks... It's all there in abundance. I actually think he has more power these days when compared to the 80's, especially in a live-setting. His vocals are fuller and wider than before. Yes, he may never be perfectly able to hit the highest of the highest notes in "Number Of The Beast" or "Aces High" again in the very same manner as he once did on the studio recordings (back in those days, he didn't pull them off the same way live either).

One of the things I completely understand whenever I see negative comments about recent Maiden is their choice of production. Now, I don't mind it one bit as I quite enjoy that less-than-perfect old-shool feeling they've got going in the sound department but it's not hard to see that this may put a lot of people off.
20.01.2013 - 01:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I like Iron Maiden, but I've been dying to ask this question:

Am I the ONLY one who can hear how horribly off-key Bruce Dickinson is in this song?

----
22.01.2013 - 14:26
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Written by Patrick. on 01.12.2012 at 04:20

I realize it's a matter of taste. No disrespect, apologies if it was percieved as such.

I just feel a lot of fans are too hung up on what or how a band should sound like, if you know what I mean (not talking about you though or anyone else in particular). I feel the same way about the last Priest offering "Nostradamus". Underrated as heck in my opinion, overlooked, etc, maybe because people want the good old Priest singing about metal, partying, motorcycles from hell and whatnot. I also realize this may not be true, but I do believe that preconcieved notions and expectations can really twist your mind a bit if you recieve something out of the ordinary. Good as it may be, the quality passes by somewhat unnoticed simply because it doesn't gel well with what the person had in mind beforehand of how this was going to be or sound like (though I realize it may not be the best argument in this case, nor the proper place for it either?).

If we think about it, Maiden has always done these long progressive tunes, it's just that lately they've been doing more of them. Bruce, wether we like the sound of his voice or not, is still technically very good I'd say. The range, power, emotion, control, his trademarks... It's all there in abundance. I actually think he has more power these days when compared to the 80's, especially in a live-setting. His vocals are fuller and wider than before. Yes, he may never be perfectly able to hit the highest of the highest notes in "Number Of The Beast" or "Aces High" again in the very same manner as he once did on the studio recordings (back in those days, he didn't pull them off the same way live either).

One of the things I completely understand whenever I see negative comments about recent Maiden is their choice of production. Now, I don't mind it one bit as I quite enjoy that less-than-perfect old-shool feeling they've got going in the sound department but it's not hard to see that this may put a lot of people off.

(I'm not trying to argue just to argue, just interested in hearing different perspectives. Sometimes, you know, I'm a little over-cautious when discussing with others as I generally think people have thinner skin than they do, plus I don't wanna be looked upon as an a-hole who thinks he's right and those who don't agree are wrong. )

I do agree with you! As much as I like the old records I really love the new ones as well. But I really think people are too hung up on how they did sound and still wants them to stay that way, the problem is that if they had stayed in the 80's people would have complained about how they never change. Its the same for alot of bands out there and I can't make anyone change their mind about it, but remember that it will never be the fans who decides what their should sound like. Hate or love the albums, the band decides what they do and what style they will play. Imo the new Maiden is just as good as the old Maiden and that will stay soo
22.01.2013 - 16:49
Patrick.
Written by Guest on 22.01.2013 at 14:26

I do agree with you! As much as I like the old records I really love the new ones as well. But I really think people are too hung up on how they did sound and still wants them to stay that way, the problem is that if they had stayed in the 80's people would have complained about how they never change. Its the same for alot of bands out there and I can't make anyone change their mind about it, but remember that it will never be the fans who decides what their should sound like. Hate or love the albums, the band decides what they do and what style they will play. Imo the new Maiden is just as good as the old Maiden and that will stay soo

Right on, brother!

Yes it must be frustrating for bands every once in awhile, whenever fans claim they have sold out or are no longer similar-sounding to how they were in their classic heydays, or claiming they're just churning out the same suff all the time and not experimenting enough or broadening their musical horizons. I think you really nailed it there. Whatever a band does, they won't be able to please all of their fanbase. If they're lucky, the majority will be left walking away with satisfaction and even that scenario is not automatically a given either. It's really a whole different issue alltogether, wether or not the recent material of a band is downright bad music or not. This should in theory have nothing to with consistency in style or experimentation beyond their tried-and-true formula. Although we all (I presume) let this affect one way or the other, we should try getting rid of these expectations of how a band should sound. The day a band let their fans dictate the terms of their musical destiny is the day the band sell themselves to the music-machinery instead of keeping "in-spirit" with their love and passion for the music. However, I think you basically said it there in your post, and we seem to agree on all fronts.
27.01.2013 - 03:53
Req
I basically registered to post in this topic.

I have seen so much bs written about Iron Maiden's latest releases that, for a time, I lost my faith on the current fanbase of the band. Going to a Maiden gig proved me wrong though, I realised that still the majority of the fans are enjoying Maiden's releases it's just they are just not that vocal. So it is nice to see people who can appreciate their very early stuff AND their latest work at the same time.

The thing is, Maiden is one of those bands, a band that can change greatly, yet still retain that "thing" that makes them "them". Their first two albums with Di'anno, I can't get enough of them. That slight punkish attitude under the heavy metal flag they were doing was unique still in this time. That simple, raw and aggresive sound was incredible and I loved that. After that, with Bruce's arrival, they changed and became the Maiden that we all know and I loved that too. Now, they are slightly progressive or whatever, I love this too. I mean, I can fucking listen to Prowler then change to 2 Minutes to Midnight then finish with Coming Home and I can call it a day with great satisfaction. This variety with that same familiarity is the thing I most adore.

Anyway that's my two cents. I feel good when I think that, whatever happens, they are out there performing.
30.01.2013 - 00:24
Mattybu
Written by Req on 27.01.2013 at 03:53

I have seen so much bs written about Iron Maiden's latest releases

yeah opinions are so BS
24.02.2013 - 05:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mattybu on 30.01.2013 at 00:24

Written by Req on 27.01.2013 at 03:53

I have seen so much bs written about Iron Maiden's latest releases

yeah opinions are so BS

How many times do we have to say it right ? I loved the sarcasm in this but you know man, some people will never accept other's opinions
on visual or musical arts... Some will always think they are better and what they think is ''THE'' way to think. Poor things really.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here