Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
28.02.2010 - 17:20
Mikyz
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 16:45

I think Burzum would be known nevertheless nowadays, because Black Metal grew bigger with time and because of the internet and all. And I think the scene would be the same.

However, Burzum would only be a second-rate band among the lot, instead of being so ridiculously overrated.

Nah, his music pretty much created "depressive" black metal, and personally I listen to it a lot, so I don't think that he would be second-rate. He would maybe be less talked about but that doesn't affect the quality of the music, not many bands can make such hypnotizing music. IMO there is no doubt that Filosem and Hvis lyset tar Oss are groundbreaking masterpieces. So Burzum would have affected the scene nonetheless.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.02.2010 - 17:33
Lord_Regnier
Perhaps what makes me say that is I love Black Metal but I hate DEPRESSIVE BM.
In fact, I hate any kind of depressive music. When I listen to music, it's to crank me up, not to make me feel depressed.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.02.2010 - 17:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 17:33

When I listen to music, it's to crank me up, not to make me feel depressed.

That's of course more of a personal thing since most of the music that would be labeled as depressive music for example Doom metal or DSBM are very uplifting for me and not depressive at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2010 - 19:05
Lord_Regnier
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.02.2010 at 17:43

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 17:33

When I listen to music, it's to crank me up, not to make me feel depressed.

That's of course more of a personal thing since most of the music that would be labeled as depressive music for example Doom metal or DSBM are very uplifting for me and not depressive at all.

That's what a guy, who's a huge Doom Metal fan, told me a while ago. I guess it's a matter of perception because I find Doom way too depressive for my tastes. (though I'm aware not all Doom Metal is as depressive as Funeral Doom or Drone)
----
28.02.2010 - 19:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well in fact i never understood why is music like this called "depressive"...it is so great tune...

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.02.2010 - 21:12
Slayer666
Written by Lucas on 28.02.2010 at 16:30

My opinion in a review here.

After so many years of prison, it's pretty clear that the (Depressive) Black metal movement has surpassed him. Burzum is now reduced to a second-rate version of itself.

Hell yeah, I was afraid I was the only Burzum fan that thought this album is crappy. Mostly everone on YouTube was all like: "OMG, this one RULZ, hail the comeback of the great master Varg", etc...

@Regnier
BM cranks you up? Is that even.... possible?
28.02.2010 - 23:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 28.02.2010 at 21:12

Hell yeah, I was afraid I was the only Burzum fan that thought this album is crappy. Mostly everone on YouTube was all like: "OMG, this one RULZ, hail the comeback of the great master Varg", etc...

It's youtube, what did you expect?
It's surprising though that so far I haven't seen a fanboy of Varg that went all "this is fucking masterpiece OMFG" *touch wood*.
It really is a "meh" album, like somebody said before: His legacy owned him.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2010 - 23:37
Lord_Regnier
Written by Slayer666 on 28.02.2010 at 21:12

@Regnier
BM cranks you up? Is that even.... possible?

Of course it's possible. The speed, aggressivity and intensity cranks me up like no other genre can.
----
01.03.2010 - 00:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 19:05

I guess it's a matter of perception because I find Doom way too depressive for my tastes. (though I'm aware not all Doom Metal is as depressive as Funeral Doom or Drone)

ALthough the music in itself is depressive it really does lift me up.
And that applies ot ALL sorts of doom metal. althogh personally I do not regard drone doom as doom, it is more an offspring of noise than doom metal. Funeral doom is just as uplifting for me as epic doom and traditonal and death doom etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2010 - 00:37
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 00:07

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 19:05

I guess it's a matter of perception because I find Doom way too depressive for my tastes. (though I'm aware not all Doom Metal is as depressive as Funeral Doom or Drone)

ALthough the music in itself is depressive it really does lift me up.
And that applies ot ALL sorts of doom metal. althogh personally I do not regard drone doom as doom, it is more an offspring of noise than doom metal. Funeral doom is just as uplifting for me as epic doom and traditonal and death doom etc.

lol Marcel you must have severely depressing days in general if Doom metal cheers you up
10.03.2010 - 22:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lol...i like the music, even the new one, but this photo is just ridiculous

----

11.03.2010 - 01:12
Got Mayhem?

Looks to me like they just sprinkled some dirt all over him.
----
11.03.2010 - 11:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
At first he doesnt look as 37 years old man...

one my unholy bm friend from CZ noticed, who is 46, noticed, that he is now feeling much younger after seeing this
----

12.03.2010 - 03:01
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Looks like Varg just finished installing some dry wall...
12.03.2010 - 03:26
Richard
Elite
That's a great photo, IMO! It's like Varg is a morose, cave-dwelling hermit. Or as Vitriolic Hate said, a 'frozen' look - like a character from 'Demolition Man', in a cryogenic slumber for many years, and suddenly awoken and thrust into the new, modern world. Which is rather appropriate considering Varg's years of imprisonment. Oblivious to what's happened in the world of Black Metal since he was locked away, he has returned, and the so-called 'depressive Black Metal movement' that was supposedly influenced by him is redundant!
----
12.03.2010 - 06:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Richard on 12.03.2010 at 03:26

That's a great photo, IMO! It's like Varg is a morose, cave-dwelling hermit. Or as Vitriolic Hate said, a 'frozen' look - like a character from 'Demolition Man', in a cryogenic slumber for many years, and suddenly awoken and thrust into the new, modern world. Which is rather appropriate considering Varg's years of imprisonment. Oblivious to what's happened in the world of Black Metal since he was locked away, he has returned, and the so-called 'depressive Black Metal movement' that was supposedly influenced by him is redundant!

or like the saturday night live sketch recurring character... unfrozen caveman lawyer.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.03.2010 - 02:19
Richard
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 12.03.2010 at 06:07

Written by Richard on 12.03.2010 at 03:26

or like the saturday night live sketch recurring character... unfrozen caveman lawyer.

I am unfamiliar with that sketch! But anyway, my post was intended to be sincere, I wasn't taking the mick - and what I've heard from the new Burzum album sounds promising IMO! Although I tend to buy less new albums nowadays, 'Belus' is on my 'to get soon' list. When one considers the many different directions that the new music of Burzum could've taken after such a long break, it seems he's taken the best path from what I've heard so far, IMO.
----
15.03.2010 - 12:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Rating 6 out of 5...you will be eaten alive for this here
----

15.03.2010 - 16:31
TheBigRossowski
That photo of Varg makes him look like a copy of Secrets of the Moon... a shitty copy. They started the ''dirty'' look to surpass the corpsepaint (not intentionally), just look at some of the new promo photos for Privilegivm.

Haven't really gotten into the new Burzum. I suppose it's just the thing I expected, therefore making it not too ugh, ugh, special, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
31.01.2011 - 19:56
Slayer666
"Fallen" leaked. Downloaded it. Listened to it. Certainly not old Burzum quality, but does have some charm that "Belus" lacked.
It mostly holds on to a somewhat more melancholic tone than older stuff. It doesn't have that power to entrance and hypnotize like "Filosofem" or "Hvis Lystet Tar Os", and the classic Burzum-esque song structure (ie. great simplicity and repetition) doesn't do it much good.
All in all, better than "Belus", but generally a letdown, specially compared to old Burzum. Strictly mediocre stuff, IMO.
31.01.2011 - 21:09
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Slayer666 on 31.01.2011 at 19:56

"Fallen" leaked. Downloaded it. Listened to it. Certainly not old Burzum quality, but does have some charm that "Belus" lacked.
It mostly holds on to a somewhat more melancholic tone than older stuff. It doesn't have that power to entrance and hypnotize like "Filosofem" or "Hvis Lystet Tar Os", and the classic Burzum-esque song structure (ie. great simplicity and repetition) doesn't do it much good.
All in all, better than "Belus", but generally a letdown, specially compared to old Burzum. Strictly mediocre stuff, IMO.

when did you downloaded it?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
31.01.2011 - 21:10
TheBigRossowski
SG from Secrets of the Moon was pretty impressed by it actually. I suppose it's probably just a "to each his own thing"
----
01.02.2011 - 00:35
Slayer666
Written by TheBigRossowski on 31.01.2011 at 21:10

SG from Secrets of the Moon was pretty impressed by it actually. I suppose it's probably just a "to each his own thing"

Well, to be honest, my listening experience was a bit rushed. I only gave it 3 spins or so, and it will probably take some time to sink in. I always need more time to digest something than your average metalhead. Consequence of being tone-deaf, I'm afraid.
I'll be listening it for a week or two more before making final judgment. It is, after all, fuckin' Burzum, y'know.

@ANGEL REAPER:
Last night (December 30.)
01.02.2011 - 10:35
TheBigRossowski
Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2011 at 00:35

Written by TheBigRossowski on 31.01.2011 at 21:10

Well, to be honest, my listening experience was a bit rushed. I only gave it 3 spins or so, and it will probably take some time to sink in. I always need more time to digest something than your average metalhead. Consequence of being tone-deaf, I'm afraid.
I'll be listening it for a week or two more before making final judgment. It is, after all, fuckin' Burzum, y'know.

@ANGEL REAPER:
Last night (December 30.)

Okay, maybe I'll have to do the same. After listening to it this morning, I wasn't too impressed. It was... okay..
----
04.02.2011 - 17:40
berserg
Hi everyone!Free download Burzum-new album Fallen you can

here:http://sharecash.org/download.php?file=1692765 Enjoy!
04.02.2011 - 19:36
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Author on 04.02.2011 at 17:42

Explain me how this ended up in Burzum thread ?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.02.2011 - 19:52
ANGEL REAPER
Quote:
Written by Author on 04.02.2011 at 19:47

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.02.2011 at 19:36

Explain me how this ended up in Burzum thread ?

berserg: Hi everyone! blahblabhblahh... ---<connection>--- this doctor from the simpsons: Hi everybody! blabhlbalhbahh...

Now I get it.......
----
20.02.2011 - 05:17
KvltovKthvlhv
Just figured i'd stop by and say how much enjoy Burzum. The new album was a little less intense then his earlier stuff but to me it was still a great album. It still had that entrancing atmosphere, and the addition of clean vocals was something i appreciated. looking forward to Fallen later this year.
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
21.02.2011 - 01:14
Fire Dances
Account deleted
Funny. I liked Belus but Fallen doesn't do much anything for me.
21.02.2011 - 01:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Author on 21.02.2011 at 01:14

Funny. I liked Belus but Fallen doesn't do much anything for me.

Heh, funny... Fopr me is the other way around. Belus was listenable at best, really crappy most of the time while Fallen has actually some interesting stuff going on. Not in the same level as the older cds but way better than Belus

Tastes differ once again.
----
Rod, let me love you.