Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
21.09.2009 - 21:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 09.09.2009 at 11:55

Http://liftingshadows.com/

I don't know if you guys know about this, a new authorized DT biography. Check it out.

I'm buying it, in fac, I ordered it already. A must-have for DT fans.

pickaboo

haven't listened to them in a while, but that's pretty much because they fail in my books as they rarely play stuff from their albums Images (and when they do it's mostly deliberately un-catchy instrument masturbation like Metropolis or Erotomania, with added sitar, 19 string bass, foot tap and fart solo's) and Awake so i'm not even interested to go to a concert of theirs.
21.09.2009 - 23:09
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 21.09.2009 at 21:40

Written by BloodTears on 09.09.2009 at 11:55

Http://liftingshadows.com/

I don't know if you guys know about this, a new authorized DT biography. Check it out.

I'm buying it, in fac, I ordered it already. A must-have for DT fans.

haven't listened to them in a while, but that's pretty much because they fail in my books as they rarely play stuff from their albums Images (and when they do it's mostly deliberately un-catchy instrument masturbation like Metropolis or Erotomania, with added sitar, 19 string bass, foot tap and fart solo's) and Awake so i'm not even interested to go to a concert of theirs.

Metropolis Pt. 1 is an awesome song. They have played Surrounded, Scarred, Lines in the Sand, and Trial of Tears when I have gone to see them.
23.09.2009 - 12:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
I was at work, looking through the newspapers and what add do I see? Petrucci signing-meet-and-greet-session a couple of hours before the concert at Friday! I am so there! My friends will call in sick from their jobs and school just to be there to! My "Images and Words" and denim jacket will have the most beautiful writing on them soon.
----
26.09.2009 - 12:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Okay, so my Friday started with me taking the subway at 12:30 PM. After that I stood in line with my friends till 3:30 PM to meet Jesus, AKA John Petrucci. Since he didn't have much time left the store clerks told us to just sign one thing. When it was my turn I felt my pulse rise and I started to feel kinda dizzy too. So Jesus reaches out one hand and what do I do? I give him an über-gay two-handed shake.
Petrucci: How are you man?
Warman: It's such an honour. Can you sign here? (Shows an empty part of my denim jacket)
Petrucci: Sure! Are you coming tonight?
Warman: Of course! I would never miss it. Can you sign my "Images and Words" too?
Petrucci: Yeah.
Warman: It's such an honour.
Petrucci: You wan't a signed picture too?
Warman: If it's okay with you sir.
Petrucci: Don't worry about it, take care.
Warman: It's such an honour. Have a great evening mr. Petrucci.

My friends told me they thought I was going to faint. It was magical. We then took the subway directly to the concert and it sure was great. No "Images" song but hey, I can't get everything in life. And this time we got two "Awake" songs, last time we got 2-3 "Images" songs but no "Awake" ones. The band was on their top and really had fun. During ""The Dance of Eternity" the PA system broke down. All we could hear was Portnoy's drums. After a drum solo they tried again but at the same place in the song it broke down again. Portnoy screaming: "Seems like this evening is to Metal, and you know what? It's the Meshuggah riff the PA can't handle, so this riff comes from your Metal country!". Everybody screaming in the audience, "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!". They tried to jump ahead in the song, but it broke down yet again. Time for the fourth drum solo and then a new try. It worked out that time.
Anyway, a couple of hours with Dream Theater is always magical and I can't wait for the next time!

The setlist for the nerds:
A Nightmare to Remember
The Mirror
Lie
Sacrificed Sons
Wither
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
Forsaken
In the Name of God
The Count of Tuscany
----
26.09.2009 - 13:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Whoa The Mirror + Lie !!

More seriously, John Petrucci is such a kind person... I met him once, for an interview. I was really, really uneasy and nervous - he's quite a legend, right ? - and he was so kind, calm and natural, no rock-star attitude at all, that I finally regained some of my senses and didn't totally show myself as a babbling idiot. A magical moment, as you said.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.09.2009 - 13:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Darkside Momo on 26.09.2009 at 13:35

Whoa The Mirror + Lie !!

More seriously, John Petrucci is such a kind person... I met him once, for an interview. I was really, really uneasy and nervous - he's quite a legend, right ? - and he was so kind, calm and natural, no rock-star attitude at all, that I finally regained some of my senses and didn't totally show myself as a babbling idiot. A magical moment, as you said.

That's exactly what I thought, about the songs and Mr. Petrucci.
----
26.09.2009 - 19:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Warman on 26.09.2009 at 12:25

Okay, so my Friday started with me taking the subway at 12:30 PM. After that I stood in line with my friends till 3:30 PM to meet Jesus, AKA John Petrucci. Since he didn't have much time left the store clerks told us to just sign one thing. When it was my turn I felt my pulse rise and I started to feel kinda dizzy too. So Jesus reaches out one hand and what do I do? I give him an über-gay two-handed shake.
Petrucci: How are you man?
Warman: It's such an honour. Can you sign here? (Shows an empty part of my denim jacket)
Petrucci: Sure! Are you coming tonight?
Warman: Of course! I would never miss it. Can you sign my "Images and Words" too?
Petrucci: Yeah.
Warman: It's such an honour.
Petrucci: You wan't a signed picture too?
Warman: If it's okay with you sir.
Petrucci: Don't worry about it, take care.
Warman: It's such an honour. Have a great evening mr. Petrucci.

My friends told me they thought I was going to faint. It was magical. We then took the subway directly to the concert and it sure was great. No "Images" song but hey, I can't get everything in life. And this time we got two "Awake" songs, last time we got 2-3 "Images" songs but no "Awake" ones. The band was on their top and really had fun. During ""The Dance of Eternity" the PA system broke down. All we could hear was Portnoy's drums. After a drum solo they tried again but at the same place in the song it broke down again. Portnoy screaming: "Seems like this evening is to Metal, and you know what? It's the Meshuggah riff the PA can't handle, so this riff comes from your Metal country!". Everybody screaming in the audience, "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!". They tried to jump ahead in the song, but it broke down yet again. Time for the fourth drum solo and then a new try. It worked out that time.
Anyway, a couple of hours with Dream Theater is always magical and I can't wait for the next time!

The setlist for the nerds:
A Nightmare to Remember
The Mirror
Lie
Sacrificed Sons
Wither
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
Forsaken
In the Name of God
The Count of Tuscany

That's a great setlist lol And they played Wither! Wow.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.09.2009 - 19:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, "Wither" was a surprise. Really good live.
----
26.09.2009 - 20:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
And Ruddess posted all this cool videos in Sweden. Very interesting indeed.
----

My Instagram
26.09.2009 - 23:29
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

More seriously, John Petrucci is such a kind person...

So is Ruddess. But James LaBrie... He was giving off an awkward vibe when I met him. Maybe it was just that night...
27.09.2009 - 02:11
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.09.2009 at 23:29

More seriously, John Petrucci is such a kind person...

So is Ruddess. But James LaBrie... He was giving off an awkward vibe when I met him. Maybe it was just that night...

Never met them yet, but a friend of mine had a chat with Jordan Ruddess, and he also said he was very nice.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.09.2009 - 14:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think James doesn't have as much patience as the other guys, that's just my general perception.
----

My Instagram
29.09.2009 - 00:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Me and my friend watched "Score" today but with the speed at x1.5, don't ask why. It was awesome! Especially the intro of Metropolis!
----
29.09.2009 - 13:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
LOL isn't that a bit silly?
----

My Instagram
29.09.2009 - 14:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by BloodTears on 29.09.2009 at 13:59

LOL isn't that a bit silly?

Haha it looks silly, especially Portnoy. But sometimes it sounds really good, except for slow tracks. LaBrie's voice get's a little too high during those.
----
29.09.2009 - 20:20
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Warman on 29.09.2009 at 00:05

Me and my friend watched "Score" today but with the speed at x1.5, don't ask why. It was awesome! Especially the intro of Metropolis!

So most of Petrucci's solos sound like one sustained note if sped up, right?
30.09.2009 - 12:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha trust me. The speed at x1.5 isn't as bad as it sounds! Try if you can!
----
01.10.2009 - 03:58
ComePierrot
Hey guys, I have a spare ticket for the 10/10/09 show at Wembley Arena, UK along with Opeth and Unexpect that I am *really* needing to shift due to my studentdom. Apologies if there is no advertising of this kind allowed here or if this is in the wrong place, but if you are interested then please send a message =) thanks.
02.10.2009 - 07:43
His Eminence
Account deleted
Just bought their new album a few days ago. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it!
11.10.2009 - 08:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So a question to DT experts. The Glass Prison (from Six Degrees), This Dying Soul (from Train of Thought), The Root of All Evil (from Octavarium), Repentance (from Systematic Chaos), and so far The Shattered Fortress (from their latest) are parts of one big epic story?

I also wonder why they used the same riff in The Shattered Fortress as they used in The Root of All Evil (which is one of the coolest metal riffs ever). Oh I get. They also used the same "hello mirror" thing off This Dying Soul in Repentance.

Ok, this is pretty cool. But still more info is welcomed.

P.S. Isn't it funny how LaBrie sticks his tongue out when he is singing some long notes?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.10.2009 - 09:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@K?ulu: The big epic story is focused around alcoholism...

They bring back riffs in order to let you know that it is all one big wrap-around concept...

But this has already been painfully discussed already...
21.10.2009 - 20:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Dream Theater in Portugal tomorrow. I'm so excited about seeing them for the Second time. And Opeth for the first time!
----

My Instagram
21.10.2009 - 22:03
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 21.10.2009 at 20:19

Dream Theater in Portugal tomorrow. I'm so excited about seeing them for the first time. And Opeth for the first time!

That's odd. As big of a fan you are of Dream Theater, I figured you've already seen them many times. I guess they don't come to Portugal often?
22.10.2009 - 09:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.10.2009 at 22:03

Written by BloodTears on 21.10.2009 at 20:19

Dream Theater in Portugal tomorrow. I'm so excited about seeing them for the first time. And Opeth for the first time!

That's odd. As big of a fan you are of Dream Theater, I figured you've already seen them many times. I guess they don't come to Portugal often?

Stupid me, It'll be my second time seeing DT. lol The thing is they came here earlier this year, so twice in a year isn't bad. They don't come here very often yes. But hopefully they will come in every tour from now on. They did have a show here when they released "Systematic Chaos". So the first time I had a couple of Awake songs, I hope that continues today
----

My Instagram
22.10.2009 - 11:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 22.10.2009 at 09:27

Stupid me, It'll be my second time seeing DT. lol The thing is they came here earlier this year, so twice in a year isn't bad. They don't come here very often yes. But hopefully they will come in every tour from now on. They did have a show here when they released "Systematic Chaos". So the first time I had a couple of Awake songs, I hope that continues today

I've seen them play Scarred and Voices, so I think I'm good for that album... The Mirror would be nice, I suppose. I hope I see them play Learning to Live before I die (or *they* die) though. ... oh, and A Change of Seasons... but I doubt I'll ever hear that live in it's entirety. T^T
23.10.2009 - 16:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by K✞ulu on 11.10.2009 at 08:51

So a question to DT experts. The Glass Prison (from Six Degrees), This Dying Soul (from Train of Thought), The Root of All Evil (from Octavarium), Repentance (from Systematic Chaos), and so far The Shattered Fortress (from their latest) are parts of one big epic story?

I also wonder why they used the same riff in The Shattered Fortress as they used in The Root of All Evil (which is one of the coolest metal riffs ever). Oh I get. They also used the same "hello mirror" thing off This Dying Soul in Repentance.

Ok, this is pretty cool. But still more info is welcomed.

P.S. Isn't it funny how LaBrie sticks his tongue out when he is singing some long notes?

Yes, it's one big epic story. Portnoy's AA saga, dealing with his alcoholism. The whole thing is build up as a twelve-step program with "The Shattered Fortress" being the last part.
----
24.10.2009 - 11:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.10.2009 at 11:27

Written by BloodTears on 22.10.2009 at 09:27

I've seen them play Scarred and Voices, so I think I'm good for that album... The Mirror would be nice, I suppose. I hope I see them play Learning to Live before I die (or *they* die) though. ... oh, and A Change of Seasons... but I doubt I'll ever hear that live in it's entirety. T^T

They ended up playing Lie and The Mirror which was good Another songs I enjoyed: "sacrificed sons" and "in the name of god". I wish they would play more Train of Thought songs and why not some WDAU songs? The rest of the songs were: prophets of war, dance of eternity, keyboard solo, wither, nightmare to remember, count of tuscany, not in that order but I remember all the songs.
----

My Instagram
24.10.2009 - 20:28
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 24.10.2009 at 11:13

They ended up playing Lie and The Mirror which was good Another songs I enjoyed: "sacrificed sons" and "in the name of god". I wish they would play more Train of Thought songs and why not some WDAU songs? The rest of the songs were: prophets of war, dance of eternity, keyboard solo, wither, nightmare to remember, count of tuscany, not in that order but I remember all the songs.

Prophets of War, huh? I figured that would be a song they would never play live.

I was thinking about something... How kewl would it be if Mike Portnoy took over all vocals for Dream Theater? :O
24.10.2009 - 20:35
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.10.2009 at 20:28

Prophets of War, huh? I figured that would be a song they would never play live.

I was thinking about something... How kewl would it be if Mike Portnoy took over all vocals for Dream Theater? :O

what? Portnoy as vocalist? But he is poorer than even LaBrie as a vocalist Let him stay behind the drum kit, he is very good at that.
24.10.2009 - 20:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.10.2009 at 20:28

That would be a disaster!
----

My Instagram