Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
24.10.2009 - 20:58
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 24.10.2009 at 20:52

That would be a disaster!

Written by Guest on 24.10.2009 at 20:35

what? Portnoy as vocalist? But he is poorer than even LaBrie as a vocalist Let him stay behind the drum kit, he is very good at that.

It was a joke, but I think it very amusing to hear his vocals upfront on an album. I laugh everytime I hear him. He tries so hard to be raw.
26.10.2009 - 06:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Portnoy's vocals up front on Glass Prison weren't that bad...they were pretty ridiculous on the Systematic Chaos though...
26.10.2009 - 11:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
You know what I realised when they played Prophets of War here? That the song would be better without that "fight for change" etc part. It doesn't work as well as I thought it would live and it sounds generic.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.10.2009 - 20:47
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.10.2009 at 06:34

Portnoy's vocals up front on Glass Prison weren't that bad...they were pretty ridiculous on the Systematic Chaos though...

I think that they are so silly on there latest album. A laugh out loud on his part in a Nightmare to Remember. Especially when he tries to growl. XP
26.10.2009 - 20:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.10.2009 at 20:47

I think that they are so silly on there latest album. A laugh out loud on his part in a Nightmare to Remember. Especially when he tries to growl. XP

Portnoy's vocals on the last album are awful, someone should tell him not do do vocals anymore and stick to his drumming.
27.10.2009 - 00:29
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
How can you do proper vocals and do all the technical drumming at the same time...
27.10.2009 - 14:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 26.10.2009 at 20:57

Portnoy's vocals on the last album are awful, someone should tell him not do do vocals anymore and stick to his drumming.

I thought they worked great on "A Nightmare to Remember", especially live when he almost growls it.
----
03.11.2009 - 01:01
RockeRoy
I don't think it is that bad at all, to call i awfull i don't understand, i thought it was so cool to hear a growl in a Dream Theater song:) It took me a while before i liked James's vocal, so vocals has never been the reason why i listen to DT, even though i find a lot of the vocal melodies nice, and now i find james vocal great sometimes to:) wow!! ha ha, seems like im trying to tell you how little i think you all should care about my oppinion on the matter:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.11.2009 - 00:15
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.10.2009 at 20:47

i dont think portnoy's vocals are meant for growls...and well their music, isn't either lol
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
21.11.2009 - 14:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok I saw 2 new videos from new album, I like those, so I checked in youtube album what I can get it was good, realy I liked this band when they started, but midle and lil leither period albums was boring, mabe from videos i got wrong impresion, and they have a lot of , but new album was good, maybe it was not all hevay not all slow, it was mix, but I somehow enjoy it, its what I wanna hear, its defenetly no let down album.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.01.2010 - 14:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
So when will Kevin Moore rejoin the band and tour the world playing the whole Images and Words and Awake albums back to back?

oh wait..
22.01.2010 - 15:05
macraigma
""Although Dream Theater has since invited him to play reunion shows, Moore has said he prefers to move forward as opposed to looking back. He also declined to take part in the official Dream Theater biography titled Lifting Shadows.""
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
22.01.2010 - 20:52
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by macraigma on 22.01.2010 at 15:05

He also declined to take part in the official Dream Theater biography titled Lifting Shadows.""

Yeah... He's just being a dick now. :/
23.01.2010 - 11:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.01.2010 at 20:52

He also declined to take part in the official Dream Theater biography titled Lifting Shadows.""

From what I read in this new extended "Lifting Shadows" book, he always rejected any participation in the special shows DT made through the years, like when they played WDATU, Images and Words, and so on, after many years. Also, there seems to be, naturally, some tension between Portnoy and Moore, which makes it even harder. From what they describe, Moore is really difficult to work with.
----

My Instagram
23.01.2010 - 22:52
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 23.01.2010 at 11:57

From what I read in this new extended "Lifting Shadows" book, he always rejected any participation in the special shows DT made through the years, like when they played WDATU, Images and Words, and so on, after many years. Also, there seems to be, naturally, some tension between Portnoy and Moore, which makes it even harder. From what they describe, Moore is really difficult to work with.

Yeah, I can understand not participating during shows, but I really don't see why he doesn't participate in a book about Dream Theater... Considering he IS a part of their history. :l
25.01.2010 - 15:38
macraigma
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.01.2010 at 22:52

Written by BloodTears on 23.01.2010 at 11:57

Yeah, I can understand not participating during shows, but I really don't see why he doesn't participate in a book about Dream Theater... Considering he IS a part of their history. :l

I read somewhere that Portnoy was quoted saying "he's just very uptight" about Kevin Moore.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
09.05.2010 - 12:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wow...i must really begin paying more attention to these guys
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.05.2010 - 17:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 09.05.2010 at 12:28

Wow...i must really begin paying more attention to these guys

How come?
----

My Instagram
09.05.2010 - 18:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Because since today i just knew they exist, but didnt listen to their stuff
----

09.05.2010 - 19:46
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 09.05.2010 at 18:50

Because since today i just knew they exist, but didnt listen to their stuff

I recommend starting with Images & Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory. It's basically the tri-force of Dream Theater.
09.05.2010 - 20:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Already listened to Scenes...really a great music will check the other two soon
----

09.05.2010 - 20:47
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 09.05.2010 at 20:25

Already listened to Scenes...really a great music will check the other two soon

Scenes from a Memory was kind of a turning point for their music, so don't expect anything TOO similar to it, but still amazing none-the-less.
16.05.2010 - 19:36
shrike187
Images and Words - masterpiece of metal
----
My heart is black and white and beats for FC Partizan Belgrade
10.06.2010 - 14:05
Fëanor
There is no reason to reproach Moore's decision to leave the Dream Theater and not be involved with the band's later endeavors, even if it's writing a book about their history. He made a decision to close that chapter of his life and no one has a right to make him read from those pages again. From what I've read he is a pretty particular fellow, and I'm honestly happy he didn't stick with the band any further (even though Images/Awake are 2 of their best albums), as he got to release his own completely different material under Chroma Key which I love. The band's harmony could very well have crumbled as well if he had stayed. I believe he is a wise man and made the decision to leave because he felt the time was right.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
12.06.2010 - 10:45
Lachy
Account deleted
Dream theater is amazing i could listen to them all day and not get bored.
15.06.2010 - 00:40
Storchillarn
I get bored. Their new stuff is quite boring actually! It's often the lyrics that are bad but the music itself has lost some inspiration lately.
17.06.2010 - 03:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm currently watching 5 Years In A Livetime...great live album...Derek being the person to introduce it I always thought was wrong...he didn't wind up being in the band for too long...
17.06.2010 - 19:31
Fëanor
But he's a pretty good guy. And funny!
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
22.06.2010 - 02:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, he's still funny I guess...the making of FIF videos with him doing a whole bunch of crazy stuff was pretty hillarious...
27.06.2010 - 08:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What an amazing piece of music Stream of Consciousness is. Blows my mind every time I listen to it. Those "lead" bass lines in the middle of the song (I don't how to describe them) are totally badass. Amazing music!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy