Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
27.06.2010 - 15:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
That's their best instrumental IMO.
"Stream of Consciousness" I mean.
----
27.06.2010 - 17:52
Black_Sheep
^ I agree. That, and "Dance Of Eternity" ...Of course "Erotomania" is nice, but after all, it's a song that they originally meant to be a joke.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
27.06.2010 - 19:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Erotomania was originally meant to be a joke? But its such an awesome piece of work...
27.06.2010 - 19:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, I agree. Never heard of "Erotomania" being a joke.
----
27.06.2010 - 20:34
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Ytse Jam is my favorite DT instrumental to nom on. FOSHO.
28.06.2010 - 06:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.06.2010 at 20:34

Ytse Jam is my favorite DT instrumental to nom on

Like this?

28.06.2010 - 16:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I listened to all the instrumentals to refresh my memory, and by far Stream of Conscience is the best of them all.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.06.2010 - 20:42
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 28.06.2010 at 06:20

Like this?

Clearly, people are making gifs of me without my permission. D:<
29.06.2010 - 06:34
Tech_Guy
Their best instrumental is definitely Stream of Consciousness, but my favorite song by them is The Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, even if it is like 8 songs mashed into one. 42 minutes of pure epicness in my opinion.
----
Just Don't
29.06.2010 - 17:20
Black_Sheep
Written by Guest on 27.06.2010 at 19:07

Erotomania was originally meant to be a joke? But its such an awesome piece of work...

Yeah, the band's original idea for that song was simply to put "all the stupid and cliché sounding riffs etc, into one song"

Great song nevertheless.... Some nice solos there ..And overall i think "Awake" is definetly one of their best albums.
----
30.06.2010 - 02:35
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Best instrumental, huh? That's a tough one. Stream of Consciousness is tempting as is Dance of Eternity. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to answer, I would probably be inclined to say Dance of Eternity.

What I would really like to do is be clever and say the Instrumedley from Live at Budokan.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
01.07.2010 - 23:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Oh, Instrumedley is one of the most ingenious pieces of music I've ever heard. It's simply fantastic.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.07.2010 - 14:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 01.07.2010 at 23:09

Oh, Instrumedley is one of the most ingenious pieces of music I've ever heard. It's simply fantastic.

Its huge as in brilliant. A lot of musical brilliance right there from these guys.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.07.2010 - 20:54
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 02.07.2010 at 14:58

Its huge as in brilliant. A lot of musical brilliance right there from these guys.

Yeah. It was a treat for fans. I got chills when I first heard the parts from Change of Seasons and the Liquid Tension Experiment songs come in. Very unexpected. :O
12.07.2010 - 13:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I realized one thing about my perception of Dream Theater. I downloaded the Live at Budokan DVD, and as I really wanted to watch Instrumedley and Stream of Consciousness, I watched those first and then just started from the beginning. And the moment James LaBrie came out (and he hasn't even started singing) after As I Am intro, I basically thought "oh no, there is the fifth dude."

So to me Dream Theater are the four dudes who jam awesome instrumental music. That's when I like them the most. I don't really like LaBrie's voice, and especially live. I am listening the 2007 or 2008 Images and Words 15 Years Anniversary performance, and he sounds absolutely preposterous; holy crap, that's probably his worst performance, he is spoiling everything.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.07.2010 - 14:11
YonTroper
Yeah, that sucked. But if you see any videos of them after Scenes from a Memory but before Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, his voice is totally shot to pieces, probably his worst time as a singer (the whole story is on his band member page). He was AWFUL. Should've fired him after he first ruptured his vocal cords.

Anyway, back to the favourite instrumental topic - not counting the Instrumedley, I would have to say Dance of Eternity.
----
I need a signature. Dunno what to write.
14.07.2010 - 16:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
So, I want a new album Dream Theater. Portnoy is doing a tour with Avenged when he should be working on the new DT album!

Seriously, I need more DT
----

My Instagram
14.07.2010 - 16:48
YonTroper
Some dude with too much time on his hands worked out they generally release a new album every 704 days, and they're going into the studio in January next year, so don't get your knickers in a twist, eh?
----
I need a signature. Dunno what to write.
17.07.2010 - 23:25
darksun
Yeah, it's absolutely time for releasing a new album. It's been a long time since I last listened any newer stuff from them. For the last three weeks their great ballad, Another Day, has been playing in my mind. When I looked at their background that began with Images and Words, the most important thing that still strongly remains is the greatness of their music.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
18.07.2010 - 12:24
Storchillarn
They should go apeshit on the next album and make something completely tech-noodly so I can finally let go of them. =(
18.07.2010 - 13:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
I always want new stuff from these guys!
----
19.07.2010 - 02:43
Black_Sheep
Written by YonTroper on 14.07.2010 at 16:48

they're going into the studio in January next year

Where did you hear this?
----
19.07.2010 - 03:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That makes sense though because they are trying to put out an album every two years...so if they go into the studio in January 2011 then you'll have a new Dream Theater album in 2011...
19.07.2010 - 16:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't know what to expect. I mean, it can be anything from these guys. As long as its good...
----

My Instagram
23.07.2010 - 02:14
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Yeah, so DT opening for Iron Maiden was more awkward than I expected. They didn't even play an hour (5 songs). They played As I Am, Home, Constant Motion, Panic Attack, and Pull Me Under. Talk about lackluster. :/
31.07.2010 - 02:23
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Lackluster? Somewhat, but seeing a live performance of Home was awesome.

I don't get why so many people hate James Labrie. The only vocalists I can honestly say I enjoy more than him are Ray Alder, Daniel Gildenlow, and Steve Wilson. He has great chemistry with his band, and I really can't fathom any other voice going along with Dream Theater's music.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
04.08.2010 - 18:59
Puff
The Forlorn
Saw them live a couple of weeks ago. Show was great.
They must have been dissapointed tought. Even when they were playing everybody was screaming for Maiden.
----
04.08.2010 - 20:16
JÄY
Metal slave
Dont think ill ever be able to get into these guys....though i want to
05.08.2010 - 05:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by AtLossForWords on 31.07.2010 at 02:23

Lackluster? Somewhat, but seeing a live performance of Home was awesome.

I don't get why so many people hate James Labrie. The only vocalists I can honestly say I enjoy more than him are Ray Alder, Daniel Gildenlow, and Steve Wilson. He has great chemistry with his band, and I really can't fathom any other voice going along with Dream Theater's music.

Hah! Welcome back man! Yeah, without Labrie DT wouldn't really be the same...a lot of people don't like his singing, what he has been with the band for a long time now and I'm sure that Dream Theater doesn't care what people think about the negativity about Labrie...
05.08.2010 - 22:07
Storchillarn
I think they are well aware of his sometimes lacking capabilities during live performances but they'd be complete douchebags to replace him. They'd not be where they are now without him for one, people seem to forget that! They look at Russell Allen and think Dream Theater could've just as well had a voice like that, ignoring the fact that what Labrie did on I&W is insane. His vox on Awake are incredible, in fact, some of the best parts of that album are his vocals and the lyrics. Slagging him off often proves you're a DT newbie with zero insight.

That said, he's a bit of a wildcard when it comes to live performances which is unfortunate but at least he sings in a band where one can enjoy the instrumental part of the music without focusing too much on his voice if need be. ^^