Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 20.08.2006 - 19:25
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
10.04.2008 - 15:40
Lombjeff
reach out for the light - avantasia
rage of the winter - rhapsody
black dragon - luca turilli
20.04.2008 - 18:48
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
david gilmour when he was in pinkfloyd
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
30.04.2008 - 04:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Beyond the Realms of Death and Holy Wars are hands down 2 of my favorites
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.05.2008 - 13:21
vatro
Account deleted
Downfall and of sins and shadows solos
22.05.2008 - 18:14
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
I hate solos , I dont need to know that they can play fast i need to know that they can make good music
23.05.2008 - 10:35
vatro
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 22.05.2008 at 18:14

I hate solos , I dont need to know that they can play fast i need to know that they can make good music

I don't think so solo is important part of song ok there are some solos which make no sense but there are many solos which with good riffs and some other stuff make good music
23.05.2008 - 10:40
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 10:35

I don't think so solo is important part of song ok there are some solos which make no sense but there are many solos which with good riffs and some other stuff make good music

slayer solos are free headache and they destroy their great music. i have heard that morbid angel does the same as slayer but since i have never listened to them(soon i will) i cant judge it.

black metal is the best example maybe why is music w/o solos much better. power metal is usually the thing where are solos often used just because guitars dont do anything during the whole song so they have to put a solo to prove to us that they can play their guitar.
23.05.2008 - 10:45
vatro
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 10:40

slayer solos are free headache and they destroy their great music. i have heard that morbid angel does the same as slayer but since i have never listened to them(soon i will) i cant judge it.

black metal is the best example maybe why is music w/o solos much better. power metal is usually the thing where are solos often used just because guitars dont do anything during the whole song so they have to put a solo to prove to us that they can play their guitar.

I agree with you about slayer solos specialy Kerry King but i'm talking about some symphony x or dream theater or children of bodom solos
23.05.2008 - 10:48
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 10:45

I agree with you about slayer solos specialy Kerry King but i'm talking about some symphony x or dream theater or children of bodom solos

children of bodom solos are amazing, it is actually the only thing in which they are good. i like their touch like angel of death song a lot just cuz it i s basically one big solo that lasts 4 minutes.
symphony x is a prog metal and they have pretty good solos, usually prog metal solos give you a headachs but symphony solos are pretty good and okay. about dream theater, they think that everyone needs to know how much fast do they play, their solos are fast and hard to play but senseless
23.05.2008 - 10:52
vatro
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 10:48

Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 10:45

children of bodom solos are amazing, it is actually the only thing in which they are good. i like their touch like angel of death song a lot just cuz it i s basically one big solo that lasts 4 minutes.
symphony x is a prog metal and they have pretty good solos, usually prog metal solos give you a headachs but symphony solos are pretty good and okay. about dream theater, they think that everyone needs to know how much fast do they play, their solos are fast and hard to play but senseless

I also hate guitarist who think that music is all about who will play more notes per second like michael angelo
23.05.2008 - 16:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've always liked solos, Rust in Peace by Megadeth made me realise what stuff someone can do to his guitar, Children of Bodom and Norther keep amaze me and Dream Theater made me realise how damn good a drum/guitar/bass/keyboard solo really can be.
----
23.05.2008 - 17:15
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
yeah Dave Mustaine solos are really good(wont say great because solos arent something that can be great )
25.05.2008 - 23:36
Ka Tet
I'm not really fond of soloing for soloing's sake. I like a lot of solo's from Megadeth, Death, Metallica, Morbid Angel, among others... I think it's important for it to be an integral part of the song.

That said, I think my favorite solo would be Morbid Angel - Sworn to the Black (1:56 - 2:23) I know it's probably not considered a solo per se (especially since it immediately follows a traditional Azagthoth solo), but the way that all the instruments are wholly incorporated really speaks to me.
27.06.2008 - 16:21
Abattoir
Staff
Well at this moment I quite like the solos from last Gamma Ray album Land Of Free II...from songs: From The Ashes (somewhere between
2:30 - 4:00) and Rain.
06.07.2008 - 17:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Metallica - Master of Puppets - the slow solo played James Hetfield
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters - played by James Hetfield
Megadeth - Lucretia - Marty Friedman's solo... incredible... just incredible.
Megadeth - Hangar 18 - again Marty Friedman's solo.
Death - Zero Tolerance - played by Chuck Schuldiner
Death - Crystal Mountain - again by Chuck
Death - Perennial Quest - by Bobby Koelble
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell - by Dimebag Darrell
Pantera - The Sleep - by the same dead artist, one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.07.2008 - 07:03
- DaN -
KaminarI
oh, i lke the "no boundaries" by Michael Angelo
----
 [b][red]I just knell to god... and I'm not seeing him here. !!!
07.07.2008 - 22:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 17:15

yeah Dave Mustaine solos are really good(wont say great because solos arent something that can be great )

I would say Marty Friedman's solos are much better than Dave's.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.07.2008 - 00:01
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 examples of solos I find cool and memorable (none of which is a blazing fast look-at-me-I-can-play-135-notes-per-second one, go figure).

First of all, the final solo in Black Sabbath's War Pigs. It buried itself in my mind and it won't let me forget it and it's just a great finale for a classic song.

Then, moving into a more doomish territory (where solos are hard to be found), we have the final solo of Worship's Whispering Gloom. The guitar howls and weeps beautifully and I think it adds an extra touch of emotion to the song. And finally, the dark-sounding solo in the 20th minute of Skepticism's Aes. No kidding, he plays around one note (two tops) per second here and it's an excellent contribution to the song.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
08.07.2008 - 11:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 07.07.2008 at 22:57

Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 17:15

I would say Marty Friedman's solos are much better than Dave's.

yeah, i see the solo from Tornado of Souls as the best in the band's discography

other solo's i love:
Judas Priest- Riding on the Wind
Judas Priest- The Green Manalishi(the way they did on the rock honors show was too awesome, with Halford going from Glenn to K.K. back to Glenn)
Judas Priest- Metal Meltdown-intro solo(totally insane, one of the most technical solo's i've ever heard, and it shows that not only Glenn is an incredibly skilled guy, but also K.K.)
Yngwie Malmsteen- Black Star(i don't care what you say)
KISS- Detroit Rock City(goes extremely well with the rest of the song)
10.07.2008 - 01:49
pdepmcp
I do really love the very long melodic solo in "The Voice Of The Devil, Plate 4", the fourth track of The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell by Ulver.

I don't like solos with only technic stuff inside or things like "play it faster or die". I like solos that fit into the music giving a sense to the song. that is an amazing exemple.
17.10.2008 - 16:08
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Phantom of the opera (iron maiden)
Comfortably numb (pink floyd)
05.03.2009 - 07:39
Brave
Opeth - Forest of October
Pantheist - Gluttony
Slumber - Rapture
05.03.2009 - 09:04
IronBlackZepp
Being a guitar player my self I love hearing good solos in songs. If the solo fits in with the music you know its great. In my opinion guiarists like Jimmy Page, John Petrucci, Tony Iommi, and David Gilmore are the best kind of guitarists you can get. I like some shredders like Yngwie because of his neo classical playing, but not guitarists like micheal angelo who just think that speed is all that counts in a solo. It is good to play fast, I oftin do myself, but that is not all that counts.
05.03.2009 - 10:57
Abattoir
Staff
I realy like the solo at the end of the Sentened's - End Of The Road song. Sounds amazing and very good played by Miika.
05.03.2009 - 15:16
Saitenhexerin
Iron Maiden - Paschendale (those of Dave and Adrian)
Iron Maiden - Hallowed be Thy Name (timeless classic)
Bruce Dickinson - Acoustic Song (this is Roy Z on guitar)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Machine Head - Aesthetics Of Hate
Machine Head - Descend the Shades Of Night
Steve Morse - Lost Contact
Gary Moore - all Solos live

and generally the solos of James Hetfield!

and most Iommi Solos
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
06.03.2009 - 21:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 05.03.2009 at 15:16

and most Iommi Solos

Hetfield is pretty limited in terms of solos, he only plays the "Nothing Else Matters" solo live, so I wonder where do you get the idea that his solos are so great
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.03.2009 - 23:12
Elio
Red Nightmare
Holy hell how can someone choose a solo?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.03.2009 - 13:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 06.03.2009 at 21:51

and most Iommi Solos

Hetfield is pretty limited in terms of solos, he only plays the "Nothing Else Matters" solo live, so I wonder where do you get the idea that his solos are so great

And also Master of Puppets harmony part and the slow solo.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.03.2009 - 15:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 07.03.2009 at 13:45

and most Iommi Solos

And that's not a lot, so my point remains intact

I mean, Kirk is the man of the solos, that's his job so I think you can't really credit highly Hetfield's contribution in that respect.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.03.2009 - 17:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 07.03.2009 at 15:32

Written by K✞ulu on 07.03.2009 at 13:45

and most Iommi Solos

And that's not a lot, so my point remains intact

I mean, Kirk is the man of the solos, that's his job so I think you can't really credit highly Hetfield's contribution in that respect.

Very true, but I prefer those two solos over any of Kirk's.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner