Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
31.08.2007 - 21:09
Chaosgoat
I think that "extreme power metal" is just some lazy persons excuse to deny the creation of a new genre that contains COB, Norther, Wintersun, Kalmah, etc. If you really must use the term, I think it applies to band like Norther and Wintersun, and maybe the Follow the Reaper album, but over all, COB's genre has gone from being melodic black on thier first album, to industrial melodeath on thier most recent.
01.09.2007 - 01:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Chaosgoat on 31.08.2007 at 21:09

COB's genre has gone from being melodic black on thier first album, to industrial melodeath on thier most recent.

Ghahahahhahah melo black hahhaha have you ever had hear melodic black metal if yes what bands and same quasten about melo death
Children of Bodom are extreme power metal from begining till ... nothing more how extreme Power metal,

If Marcel read it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.09.2007 - 02:31
nehrodwarf
Really, I never heard Childrem of Bodom, but I heard manowar. And I think that Manowar it's a mix with power and heavy metal.

But concluing it, it's dosen't matter. Cuz if you see all subdivisions that the word METAL gives, you gotta crazy, and still if you see what derivations POWER METAL will bring you, it mnakes anyone crazy!

Ps: sry for my english, really i'm not so good at that! tnx 4 compreension
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
02.09.2007 - 02:58
Chaosgoat
Written by Bad English on 01.09.2007 at 01:31

COB's genre has gone from being melodic black on thier first album, to industrial melodeath on thier most recent.

Ghahahahhahah melo black hahhaha have you ever had hear melodic black metal if yes what bands and same quasten about melo death
Children of Bodom are extreme power metal from begining till ... nothing more how extreme Power metal,

If Marcel read it

Sorry about that. And yes I have heard Melodic BM (Dimmu Borgir). The vocals on COB's first album confused me.
And about the Melodeath label, I was just reading off wikipedia, and I trust as much as I do this site.
02.09.2007 - 13:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nehrodwarf on 02.09.2007 at 02:31

Really, I never heard Childrem of Bodom, but I heard manowar. And I think that Manowar it's a mix with power and heavy metal.

But concluing it, it's dosen't matter. Cuz if you see all subdivisions that the word METAL gives, you gotta crazy, and still if you see what derivations POWER METAL will bring you, it mnakes anyone crazy!

Ps: sry for my english, really i'm not so good at that! tnx 4 compreension

OMG never hear CoB joking wright?

Manowar are heavy metal, heavy not power, ok 80tie spower but not power!
----

apos;'
[image]
02.09.2007 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Chaosgoat on 02.09.2007 at 02:58

If Marcel read it

Sorry about that. And yes I have heard Melodic BM (Dimmu Borgir). The vocals on COB's first album confused me.
And about the Melodeath label, I was just reading off wikipedia, and I trust as much as I do this site.

Never trust wikipedia, its same like metal-archives .wikipedia give you lil info, but not all are corect and if you wanna melo black try
Tvangeste, Titan Mountain, A Winter Within, Libolic Art, Crimson Moonlight, Corozy, Avathar and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
03.09.2007 - 03:57
Chaosgoat
Written by Bad English on 02.09.2007 at 13:34

If Marcel read it

Never trust wikipedia, its same like metal-archives .wikipedia give you lil info, but not all are corect and if you wanna melo black try
Tvangeste, Titan Mountain, A Winter Within, Libolic Art, Crimson Moonlight, Corozy, Avathar and so on

Thanks for the advise. I will try out those bands. and I now agree that COB is some form of extreme melodic metal, maybe not power metal. Could you think of a non-extreme power metal band that they sound like? If so that would be really helpful for this argument.
04.09.2007 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Lichspawn - PM me aftre 5 weeks then I figure out, but Warmen, Sinegry and such bands
----

apos;'
[image]
04.09.2007 - 05:54
Chaosgoat
Written by Bad English on 04.09.2007 at 00:49

@Lichspawn - PM me aftre 5 weeks then I figure out, but Warmen, Sinegry and such bands

Warmen and Sinergy are the side projects of COB members(Janne, and Alexi and Roope respectivly) so it is prety obvious that they will sound like COB.\
edit: If you dont mind, you should post your findings here, as it would be helpful for the argument.
07.09.2007 - 20:44
bhaad
Account deleted
strange...
I've always thought them playing some kind of death metal
melodic death metal...
07.09.2007 - 21:24
Sunioj
Try Hypocrisy, Edge of Sanity, or even Dismember to a certain extent. Keep in mind the term is not synanomous with 'Gothenburg Metal'. However bands that play Gothenburg Metal also have melodic Death metal influences. from melodic black to melodic death metal...
08.09.2007 - 12:15
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Chaosgoat on 03.09.2007 at 03:57

If Marcel read it

Thanks for the advise. I will try out those bands. and I now agree that COB is some form of extreme melodic metal, maybe not power metal.

CoB = Extreme Speed Metal?

Rather that than power metal in my opinion.
09.09.2007 - 00:03
Chaosgoat
Written by Guest on 08.09.2007 at 12:15

Written by Chaosgoat on 03.09.2007 at 03:57

If Marcel read it

Thanks for the advise. I will try out those bands. and I now agree that COB is some form of extreme melodic metal, maybe not power metal.

CoB = Extreme Speed Metal?

Rather that than power metal in my opinion.

That could be. they do seem to take more influence from 80s metal(speed included) than power metal over all, but to me Follow the Reaper seems a bit more power metalish.
09.09.2007 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 07.09.2007 at 21:24

Try Hypocrisy, Edge of Sanity, or even Dismember to a certain extent. Keep in mind the term is not synanomous with 'Gothenburg Metal'. However bands that play Gothenburg Metal also have melodic Death metal influences. from melodic black to melodic death metal...

WTF EoS power, man are you totaly bur your head into sun?
----

apos;'
[image]
09.09.2007 - 02:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
He meant they are Melo Death.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.09.2007 - 17:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2007 at 02:39

He meant they are Melo Death.

It explains
----

apos;'
[image]
09.09.2007 - 19:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I NEWER HAD SAY EOS ARE POWER!
----

apos;'
[image]
09.09.2007 - 19:42
Sunioj
Lmao...It Explains!

( deletes last post )
11.09.2007 - 16:16
W!LL
Account deleted
hey there am new here and i was reading in this post well

EPM for me i think it's a sub genre that comes from melodeath like gothenburg and i think it's better called power/death metal
11.09.2007 - 21:04
Bash'
:)
I only read half of the pages actually but not all...

Anyways, for my own point of veiw is, that the style of Death has been like preoccupied by those melodic styles, which extreme metellers won't really like, and from their side, I see it is unfair to consider Melodic fans & pure Death fans in the same category. So that is the reason behind the new styles like Extreme Power & Gothenburg and what is coming might be more!

I do agree bands like CoB shouldn't be called Death! those fits Extreme Power much better & fair for Death style (fans & musicians)
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
12.09.2007 - 13:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How CoB can be d ath metal how where are death elements?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.09.2007 - 20:30
Bash'
:)
Right ^^

I am with you in this! also Wintersun, Norther, Imperanon most if not all! [Kalmah is the only one that I really can't feel sure of..]

that is what I said exactly in my last paragraph.
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
16.09.2007 - 22:09
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
I don't know if I can come up with a better term but I don't think extreme power metal is such a good fit either. I think it's misleading and not quite right - mind you it's semi-accurate but not totally. If I was told the term without any knowledge of it I'd probably metally conjure something up such as Hammerfall with grunts, which it most certainly is not.
21.09.2007 - 06:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I definitly believe this is a newish type of music here and Norther, CoB, Kalmah and Wintersun can all be lumped in there, but I just call it speed metal, plain and simple.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.09.2007 - 07:02
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Doc G. on 21.09.2007 at 06:23
I definitly believe this is a newish type of music here and Norther, CoB, Kalmah and Wintersun can all be lumped in there, but I just call it speed metal, plain and simple.
Lol man that's completely misleading, to me speed metal is somewhere between heavy metal and thrash, possibly with a tinge of normal power.
I refer to CoB et al as power with harsh vox but I think extreme power is a decent descriptor in lieu of that since my preferred one isn't too common.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
21.09.2007 - 09:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Syk on 21.09.2007 at 07:02

Written by Doc G. on 21.09.2007 at 06:23
Lol man that's completely misleading, to me speed metal is somewhere between heavy metal and thrash, possibly with a tinge of normal power.
I refer to CoB et al as power with harsh vox but I think extreme power is a decent descriptor in lieu of that since my preferred one isn't too common.

Well, ok, maybe not speed in your classic sense, I think its more of the newest form of speed metal.

here the wiki definition of speed metal:

Speed metal is a subgenre of heavy metal that spawned in the early 1980s and was the direct musical progenitor of thrash metal. When speed metal first emerged as a genre, it innovatively increased the tempo of the music template set forth by Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple while keeping their melodic ideas. Speed metal can find its significant beginnings within NWOBHM bands.

The term speed metal has been broken down and specified with other terms under heavy metal (typically thrash metal, power metal, and to a lesser extent, black metal) and is often succeeded by such terms when an artist's sound or style is specifically defined.

since I find it hard to simply classify these bands as power metal, but are more clssified into power metal than anything else. Increased tempo while keeping the melodic ideas? hmmm? And I hate saying extreme power metal, it takes to long, I just call it speed metal. Or NWOFSM? lol.
----
- George Carlin
21.09.2007 - 09:08
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Heh, I can't remember which thread but someone did suggest something New Wave of Finnish about a year ago. So yeah maybe you can just say nwo-fim when speaking aloud
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.09.2007 - 01:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Syk
nwo-fim? what does that stand for? mine was just New Wave Of Finnish Speed Metal.
----
- George Carlin
02.01.2008 - 22:52
tallha.gillani
Account deleted
Speed metal with harsh vocals
or
Finnish Melo Death Metal (This one suits the scenario)
03.01.2008 - 08:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.01.2008 at 22:52

Speed metal with harsh vocals
or
Finnish Melo Death Metal (This one suits the scenario)

For crying out loud, or just softly in the corner of my room... there is NOTHING melod death metal about that music AT ALL, so stop calling it as such.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996