Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
03.01.2008 - 12:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i think there should be such a genre, but imo there is just a thin border between "Extreme power" and "Folk/Viking" metal bands...i mean i feel CoB playing quite same music as for example Moonsorrow, only it is a bit faster (same as power metal is usually faster than other melodic metal genres)...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.01.2008 - 14:25
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Does it matter if it really exsits. Fact alone that someone desribes band as 'extreme power' is proof that it does exist
Who cares about genres anywayz.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
03.01.2008 - 14:38
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.01.2008 at 14:25
Come on, that's like entering a conversation about Frodo Baggins and then saying "who cares about Lord of the Rings." Please, everybody, stop saying that. It's bloody annoying.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
03.01.2008 - 14:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, genres are really important if you ask me.
----
03.01.2008 - 16:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well the problem is that at least 3/4 of bands are playing mix of styles and genres so usually it is hard to say which are the criteria for each genre...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.01.2008 - 14:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Mmm I really don't like the word extreme...
It doesn't sounds correct.
When I heard that Opeth "was" extreme prog metal" I was about to crying for so much laugh.

The bands like CoB, Kalmah, Norther and Winstersun are Power metal all the way.. even if it has growls and things like that
The music doesn't change. The riffs are power metal.

Maybe It can be as a sub-genre, but for me is a bit stupid xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2008 - 15:49
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Written by Ellrohir on 03.01.2008 at 16:55

well the problem is that at least 3/4 of bands are playing mix of styles and genres so usually it is hard to say which are the criteria for each genre...

My Point also
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
04.01.2008 - 16:03
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2008 at 14:00
The bands like CoB ... are Power metal all the way ... The music doesn't change. The riffs are power metal.
Yes. This is the truth, ladies and gentlemen.
Maybe It can be as a sub-genre
Yeah, that's right I guess... "genre", "sub-genre" and "sub-sub-genre" are used very loosely in these conversations by most people, including myself, because we assume we're already talking either inside the genre of metal, or inside the genre of rock music as a whole (or inside a sub-genre of metal).
even if it has growls and things like that
The important thing here (as far as I know I mean... I'm not that well versed in the history of power metal) is that power metal traditionally had high vocals, or at least purposely melodic vocals, as an identifying characteristic, so the "extreme pm"/"pm with harsh vocals" is kind of necessary IMO... as "necessary" as you can get in any genre discussions, anyway.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.01.2008 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.01.2008 at 14:25

Mmm, I do, or else why would be saying that we like metal? Then we should be saying that we listen to music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2008 - 17:31
FOOCK Nam
COB, Norther, Wintersun is definitely extreme power metal. Old Kamah too. But latest Kamah (2006 stuff) IMO is melodic death.

COB lately's not good as their early career, and then not extreme power metal much anymore. Guitar of old COB is more or less technical, and more that than Norther.

I classify those bands are extreme power metal because you cant deny their vocals are extreme and importantly their music combined to make power metal with more extreme element.

And extreme power metal is different than common power metal, no need more to explain
04.01.2008 - 20:34
IronAngel
I'm of the opinion that genres should not be used as definitives to this extent. I can accept power, thrash, black, death, even folk etc. I can also live with someone describing the aforementioned bands as "extreme power metal". It's good if it gets your point across, and who you're talking to understands what kind of music you mean by that. That's really the only measure of succesful labelling. However, I do not think such a term should become a standard genre under which bands have to be put. The fact is, currently there is such a huge trend of mixing styles that we cannot yet label every band under their own genre. "Something with elements from thrash but a firm riff base in power metal, along with harsh vocals" is a good enough way for me to describe a given band. We don't have to come up with strictly-defined genres for every new band that pops up.
04.01.2008 - 20:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 04.01.2008 at 20:34

I'm of the opinion that genres should not be used as definitives to this extent. I can accept power, thrash, black, death, even folk etc. I can also live with someone describing the aforementioned bands as "extreme power metal". It's good if it gets your point across, and who you're talking to understands what kind of music you mean by that. That's really the only measure of succesful labelling. However, I do not think such a term should become a standard genre under which bands have to be put. The fact is, currently there is such a huge trend of mixing styles that we cannot yet label every band under their own genre. "Something with elements from thrash but a firm riff base in power metal, along with harsh vocals" is a good enough way for me to describe a given band. We don't have to come up with strictly-defined genres for every new band that pops up.

Ok if extreme power dont exist how you define, gothic/doom, black/doom death/doom and so on
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2008 - 21:06
IronAngel
I'm not saying music that could be described as "extreme power metal" does not exist. What I am saying, however, is that I don't think there is need for an established genre with such a name. Black/Doom is not a genre, it is a way to describe a band which is influenced by both the doom and the black metal genres.

A good rule of thumb, in my opinion, is that if you need to use the names of other genres to describe a style of music, it's not established and distintive enough to be considered a standardized genre which you can talk about anywhere. It's not enough to be able to use it on Metal Storm so that people understand, it needs to be accepted across the metal media of the world to really be called an individual genre of its own.
04.01.2008 - 21:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 04.01.2008 at 21:06

I'm not saying music that could be described as "extreme power metal" does not exist. What I am saying, however, is that I don't think there is need for an established genre with such a name. Black/Doom is not a genre, it is a way to describe a band which is influenced by both the doom and the black metal genres.

A good rule of thumb, in my opinion, is that if you need to use the names of other genres to describe a style of music, it's not established and distintive enough to be considered a standardized genre which you can talk about anywhere. It's not enough to be able to use it on Metal Storm so that people understand, it needs to be accepted across the metal media of the world to really be called an individual genre of its own.

But it is subgenre same like extreme power metal and soon we need more names to describe soem enw genres like I have no idea
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2008 - 21:14
RhysTerk
One little question, shouldn't "extreme power metal" be the same genre as Melodic death metal?
06.01.2008 - 21:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RhysTerk on 06.01.2008 at 21:14

One little question, shouldn't "extreme power metal" be the same genre as Melodic death metal?

Okay... one more time...

NO, NO, NO, NO...

Extreme Power Metal & Melodic Death Metal have only the vocals in common at most.

Melodic Death Metal is a melodic form of death metal whereas Extreme Power Metal is power metal that seems extreme because of the vocals. Musically the tow have nothing in common whatsoever.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 21:33
Warman
Erotic Stains

Compare CoB (Extreme Power Metal) with Amon Amarth (Melodic Death Metal). There's big difference between these two bands.
----
06.01.2008 - 21:37
RhysTerk
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2008 at 21:29

Okay... one more time...

NO, NO, NO, NO...

Extreme Power Metal & Melodic Death Metal have only the vocals in common at most.

Melodic Death Metal is a melodic form of death metal whereas Extreme Power Metal is power metal that seems extreme because of the vocals. Musically the tow have nothing in common whatsoever.

Oh, sorry
06.01.2008 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RhysTerk on 06.01.2008 at 21:37

Okay... one more time...

NO, NO, NO, NO...

Oh, sorry

Haha don't take it too hard, but it's just that I have been answering this question for a couple of years now
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 21:59
RhysTerk
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2008 at 21:56

Written by RhysTerk on 06.01.2008 at 21:37

Okay... one more time...

NO, NO, NO, NO...

Oh, sorry

Haha don't take it too hard, but it's just that I have been answering this question for a couple of years now

Hehe, ok
07.01.2008 - 16:51
Woutjinho
Account deleted
ofcourse it exists
although it sounds weird. but as long groove death metal keeps existing like Six Feet Under, extreme power metal has the right to exist as well
07.01.2008 - 18:40
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
so children of bodom isn't power metal, but it's extreme power metal? but if cob is extreme power metal, they are fucking power metal. it's like saying that at the gates isn't death metal, but melodic death metal. it's the same, just that at the gates have more melodies than most death metal bands, but they are still a death metal band.

i can't understand how people can make up a new genre just because of the vocals. though i must admit, i hate power metal (europe-whiny-power-metal) so i'm not the right person to talk about it, but is there a difference between bands like stratovarius, rhapsody and children of bodom? because if it's only the vocals, then it's fucking idiotic to call it "extreme power metal" (or would you call a brutal death metal band with clean vocals "soft brutal death metal"? give me a break people...).

BUT, if there is a difference between the music, then it shouldn't be called power metal or extreme power metal at all, but should get an own classification. like gothenburg metal. most people think it's the same thing as melodic death metal, but it's fucking not. arch enemy doesn't sound like eucharist, soilwork doesn't sound like unanimated and whatsoever, it's a different blend of heavy metal.

i just know one fact, children of bodom are milion miles away of being melodic death or melodic black metal.
07.01.2008 - 22:12
Damnated
Churchburner
why is this thread still open?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.01.2008 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 07.01.2008 at 22:12

And why shouldn't it be? Apparently people are still wondering about it so it is viable.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2008 - 23:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those who say there are not diference between power and extreme power i can ask what is diference betwen death and brutal death...its same ...same like power and extreme
----

apos;'
[image]
07.01.2008 - 23:58
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 07.01.2008 at 23:38

what is diference betwen death and brutal death...its same ...

bullshit!

listen to devourment and torsofuck

and then listen to obituary and cancer
08.01.2008 - 00:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2008 at 23:27

And why shouldn't it be? Apparently people are still wondering about it so it is viable.

every newcomer to this thread believes that CoB and Co. plays melo death or something similar. do you actually think that they are convinced that they were wrong when they leave? that is why i'm asking this, because there's nothing left to discuss here. These bands play extreme power metal. it's a fact. it cannot be handled in a subjective way.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.01.2008 - 00:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.01.2008 at 23:58

Written by Bad English on 07.01.2008 at 23:38

what is diference betwen death and brutal death...its same ...

bullshit!

listen to devourment and torsofuck

and then listen to obituary and cancer

man I know I know i know I know it was like example for other ppl who dont know
----

apos;'
[image]
08.01.2008 - 00:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 08.01.2008 at 00:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2008 at 23:27

every newcomer to this thread believes that CoB and Co. plays melo death or something similar. do you actually think that they are convinced that they were wrong when they leave? that is why i'm asking this, because there's nothing left to discuss here. These bands play extreme power metal. it's a fact. it cannot be handled in a subjective way.

This thread is for those who are in doubt... or else we might close every single thread on discussions of genres.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2008 - 00:16
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2008 at 00:09

This thread is for those who are in doubt... or else we might close every single thread on discussions of genres.

threads that question the existence of a genre are useless, imo.
----