Metal Storm logo
Blut Aus Nord

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 11:52
Further proof that France do own the world's finest black metal bands.

Spanning black metal and industrial/ambient, Vindsval has created an absolute monolithe in post bm. He began with the title 'Vlad' before changing the name after two demos and creating the much loved 'Ultima Thulee' which really put them on the map. As his career progressed he experimented with industrial and ambient and has carved the now highly stylised and distinctive Blut Aus Nord sound.
31.10.2011 - 00:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Author on 31.10.2011 at 00:47

I've been bleating on about that album a lot this year, probably the best black metal album so far.

Good but not THAT good. I can easily name stuff I found better... like Infestus - E x | I s t.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2011 - 00:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.10.2011 at 00:53

Good but not THAT good. I can easily name stuff I found better... like Infestus - E x | I s t.

That's pretty much equal I think, but I've listened to Negative Plane's new one a bit more I'm hoping the new BaN will knock both of them out the running though.
31.10.2011 - 01:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Author on 31.10.2011 at 00:58

That's pretty much equal I think, but I've listened to Negative Plane's new one a bit more I'm hoping the new BaN will knock both of them out the running though.

If that album is equal to those two then it will be one hell of a year to me... It will be hard to choose from so many albums.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2011 - 01:27
pisymbol
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.10.2011 at 00:53

I've been bleating on about that album a lot this year, probably the best black metal album so far.

Disagree, I think it really is THAT good. Negative Plane have created a sub-genre unto themselves, something I call gothic black metal. There execution is sublime.
31.10.2011 - 01:37
pisymbol

Good man, good man.

Even though its not ground breaking, Taake's latest is TWBM at its finest. I think for me, this is the best BM release so far followed by Negative Plane's.

Quote:

I really wasn't that impressed by the two songs from it that have been made available. I'll give the full length its proper dues though.

Fair enough, but I figure I would throw it out there since its a big release (well I think it is).

I still think the fan favorite is maybe Wolves. I am not sure why other than post-black is all the rage these days.

Don't get me wrong, I am big fan of the Weaver brothers but I still haven't gotten the Earth shattering feelings that some folks have about Celestial Lineage.

EDIT: Ash Borer's self debuted first full release is also of note (you need to download it since it was limited to I believe only 150 cassettes).
31.10.2011 - 02:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by pisymbol on 31.10.2011 at 01:27
Negative Plane have created a sub-genre unto themselves, something I call gothic black metal.

Cradle of Filth, Graveworm, Theatres Des Vampires, Darzamat, Cadaveria, Agathodaimon, Enslavement of Beauty... Those bands are more gothic black metal than Negative Plane.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.10.2011 - 02:43
pisymbol
Written by pisymbol on 31.10.2011 at 02:42

Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.10.2011 at 02:28

Negative Plane have created a sub-genre unto themselves, something I call gothic black metal.

Cradle of Filth, Graveworm, Theatres Des Vampires, Darzamat, Cadaveria, Agathodaimon, Enslavement of Beauty... Those bands are more gothic black metal than Negative Plane.

I guess my term of gothic isn't exactly right.

I don't recognize all of the bands you listed except Cradle of Filth and Graveworm. Obviously Negative Plane and Graveworm have very little in common (at least to my ears).

I think Negative Plane's sound is quite epic despite the production.

I guess by gothic, I meant it invokes imagery of the gothic era of architecture. I feel their music is meant to be played during a Black Mass held in Notre Dame. Its probably the pipe organ!

Btw, I would also like to throw in Aenaon latest, Cendres Et Sang, for BM album of the year.

Truly a ground breaking release.
31.10.2011 - 14:43
Slayer666
Written by pisymbol on 31.10.2011 at 02:43

I guess by gothic, I meant it invokes imagery of the gothic era of architecture. I feel their music is meant to be played during a Black Mass held in Notre Dame. Its probably the pipe organ!

Not to be a dick here, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what "gothic" means in music.

Anyhoo, when's that new BaN coming? Sects didn't really click with me as much as I'd like, I'm eager to hear if that kind of sound will be improved by the new one.
31.10.2011 - 14:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 31.10.2011 at 14:43

Anyhoo, when's that new BaN coming? Sects didn't really click with me as much as I'd like, I'm eager to hear if that kind of sound will be improved by the new one.

Apparently the same day Skyrim comes out o.0
31.10.2011 - 14:50
The Turbanator
Written by Author on 31.10.2011 at 14:46

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
31.10.2011 - 16:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Disagree, I think it really is THAT good. Negative Plane have created a sub-genre unto themselves, something I call gothic black metal. There execution is sublime.

Personal opinions I guess... Although being quite original, I definitely don't see them making a sub-genre at all. It's more of a sum of many different factors than a completely new sound. Specially comparing them to BAN.
I'm not shitting on their album btw. I really really like it as well and it's a worthy band for the awards but I just don't think is as good and groundbreaking as you think it is.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2011 - 16:34
pisymbol

Written by pisymbol on 31.10.2011 at 02:43

Not to be a dick here, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what "gothic" means in music.

Yes your right. I apologize for mixing up the term.
31.10.2011 - 16:41
pisymbol
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.10.2011 at 16:08

Personal opinions I guess... Although being quite original, I definitely don't see them making a sub-genre at all. It's more of a sum of many different factors than a completely new sound. Specially comparing them to BAN.
I'm not shitting on their album btw. I really really like it as well and it's a worthy band for the awards but I just don't think is as good and groundbreaking as you think it is.

I just want to state that I am not comparing them to BaN. I was throwing them up as a candidate for BM album of the year. Just want to make that clear.

As for sub-genre, I guess perhaps I went too far. Genres are sanctioned by reviewers at large and typically very inconsistent in definition.

I also believe that if the sum here is much much greater than the parts, then we do have something new, at least in signature.

NP does offer something new in their execution. Well at least I think so... :-)
01.11.2011 - 13:43
Savopipo
I love BaN and has listened quite a lot to the new album (Sects) that I find to be really interesting noise but I'm so darn freaking tired of all these sub genre discussions!! Why can't we just call it Extreme Metal or at least stick to the major divisions! To stay on topic for a while the second installment of 777 Sects is due for release on 2011-11-11 according to this site here:
http://americanaftermath.net/2011/09/05/blut-aus-nord-release-info-about-second-album-this-year/
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
01.11.2011 - 14:05
pisymbol
The release date is indeed the 11th and you can pre-order it here:

http://www.eitrin.com/
09.11.2011 - 14:26
pisymbol
I just submitted this news but here you go:

Blut Aus Nord's 777 - Desanctification Streaming Online

Really fantastic ambient black metal...
09.11.2011 - 14:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 14:26

More like industrial metal, but who cares when it's this good right?
09.11.2011 - 15:09
pisymbol
Written by Author on 09.11.2011 at 14:49

Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 14:26

More like industrial metal, but who cares when it's this good right?

Listen to the album though.

They are more ambient than out right industrial.

Well maybe industrial ambient....

Its BaN!

Alright, I get your point! :-)
09.11.2011 - 15:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 15:09

Its BaN!

"Ambient black metal" tends to consist of fuzzy, repetitive guitars (see Velvet Cacoon) and "ambient" in its more pure form is usually shapeless and structureless sounds (see Atrium Carceri). Neither of those two really apply to this album. This is more BaN's own unique brand of industrial with a black metal streak running through it. Or even avant garde metal.

"The Fall", "Devilish Essence", "Density" and "Level-3 (Nothing Becomes)" are all examples of BaN doing "ambient" and more or less the most part of the Thematic Emanation EP is industrial/ambient metal.
09.11.2011 - 15:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The latest is totally industrial black metal. No doubt about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.11.2011 - 15:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If I could play the right instruments I'd totally make an homage band to the style seen on 'Our Blessed Frozen Cells', 'Procession of the Dead Clowns' and the Thematic Emanation EP, excluding the style on 'Level-2 (Nothing is Not)' - it's just the best form of music I can think of.
09.11.2011 - 15:43
pisymbol
Written by Author on 09.11.2011 at 15:13

Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 15:09

Its BaN!

"Ambient black metal" tends to consist of fuzzy, repetitive guitars (see Velvet Cacoon) and "ambient" in its more pure form is usually shapeless and structureless sounds (see Atrium Carceri). Neither of those two really apply to this album. This is more BaN's own unique brand of industrial with a black metal streak running through it. Or even avant garde metal.

"The Fall", "Devilish Essence", "Density" and "Level-3 (Nothing Becomes)" are all examples of BaN doing "ambient" and more or less the most part of the Thematic Emanation EP is industrial/ambient metal.

I had always thought to some extent that any music that invokes a certain mood or at least its construction was to excite certain feelings could be termed, "ambient." Typically lack of structure yields "ambient" music but not necessarily.

Not truing to be argumentative either here.

I have found BaN industrial black metal to have at least for me, certain ambient qualities.

But you are 100% right, thinking about more and more, the ambient feelings I get are more due to BaN industrial sound signature than anything else.

Damn they are good....
09.11.2011 - 15:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 15:43

I had always thought to some extent that any music that invokes a certain mood or at least its construction was to excite certain feelings could be termed, "ambient." Typically lack of structure yields "ambient" music but not necessarily.
I have found BaN industrial black metal to have at least for me, certain ambient qualities.
But you are 100% right, thinking about more and more, the ambient feelings I get are more due to BaN industrial sound signature than anything else.
Damn they are good....

I think you might be confusing it with the term "ambiance" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambiance - Music such as the new BaN could have an "ambiance" but it's not "ambient"

"ambient" is a genre of music. It has nothing to do with "ambiance" as such in this case, other than the fact it may be derived from that word and its basic meanings. One is a form, the other is a description.
09.11.2011 - 17:32
The Turbanator
Written by Author on 09.11.2011 at 15:36

If I could play the right instruments I'd totally make an homage band to the style seen on 'Our Blessed Frozen Cells', 'Procession of the Dead Clowns' and the Thematic Emanation EP, excluding the style on 'Level-2 (Nothing is Not)' - it's just the best form of music I can think of.

+1 to this. Also, one for "Fathers Of The Icy Age".
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
09.11.2011 - 23:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Author on 09.11.2011 at 15:36

I wrote a couple of songs in the vein of this sound obviously not even close to the goodness on these tracks but are mostly inspired from this sound, will probably record them "amongst other two BM songs" and release them in some sort of way

on-topic : the new album is marvelous, I really want to listen to the whole trilogy back to back and see what happens
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.11.2011 - 23:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 09.11.2011 at 23:44

I wrote a couple of songs in the vein of this sound obviously not even close to the goodness on these tracks but are mostly inspired from this sound, will probably record them "amongst other two BM songs" and release them in some sort of way

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you came up with!
10.11.2011 - 03:51
pisymbol
Written by Author on 09.11.2011 at 15:46

Written by pisymbol on 09.11.2011 at 15:43

Damn they are good....

I think you might be confusing it with the term "ambiance" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambiance - Music such as the new BaN could have an "ambiance" but it's not "ambient"

"ambient" is a genre of music. It has nothing to do with "ambiance" as such in this case, other than the fact it may be derived from that word and its basic meanings. One is a form, the other is a description.

Even though ambient is suppose to create ambiance, I believe your definition is right (or at least more in line with other music critics). My apologies.
11.11.2011 - 00:18
Savopipo
Written by The Turbanator on 31.10.2011 at 14:50

Written by Author on 31.10.2011 at 14:46

OOOOOOOOOh! That's really creepy and if you use it as a binary number it is 63! 63 if you remove the 3 (because the christian church use the trinity a lot) and divide by 10 (which is the last number that has a christian meaning) it becomes 6!! That I take as a sign that we should all have more s(i)ex!!!

By the way I just love BaN and can't wait for the next release!!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
11.11.2011 - 11:14
The Turbanator
^ Haha classic. The album has released. Anyone heard it yet?
----
11.11.2011 - 13:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by The Turbanator on 11.11.2011 at 11:14

The album has released. Anyone heard it yet?

It is brilliant, more on the industrial side of BaN's work.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.