Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
22.04.2017 - 13:09
Metren
The What The?
Written by M C Vice on 22.04.2017 at 02:49

It has a couple of great songs, but the rest is pretty meh by comparison. I like the album overall, but it definitly shouldn't be the No.6 metal album.
Still think it shits all over the current No.2, though.

Painkiller better than Master Of Puppets? Can't agree with that at all. Not that MOP isn't overrated, it is, especially when compared to Ride The Lightning or even Kill 'em All.
----
Dreadrealm's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/ (200 Free Downloads Every Month is Bandcamp's limit)
23.04.2017 - 00:11
nikarg
atrocity vendor
I am going to get ripped on really hard for this, but who cares... I absolutely adore Crimson Glory's Strange And Beautiful. And I have loved it ever since it came out. I bought the cd expecting some great heavy/power metal, having already worn out the cassettes (yes I am that old) of their previous two albums and after the first listen I was like "wtf, this is so different, but so amazing at the same time". This cd has been played so many times that it's full of scratches now, but I'm keeping it for sentimental purposes. There's plenty of Led Zeppelin (guitars and riffs) and Deep Purple (the keyboards, my oh my) influence, but also gospel vocals, tribal drums, beautiful cheesy ballads and Midnight's voice is just out of this fucking world... I can go on and on about this, but I just realised there is no review for it here, so I am going to write one and put a real effort so that it doesn't come out as totally fanboyish.
----
27.04.2017 - 17:55
VIG
Behemoth - The Satanist.

Ok, so before in the SB and other places I've called this album overrated. And it is. But back when it came out I listened to it all the time, and for a long while it was my all time favorite album, and then I just stayed away from it. It is a somewhat boring album, and it's not that great, but over time I learned to love it again. I think it's a lot more of a personal reason for why I love it so much, because it was so important to me when it came out.
----
I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.

MY 2017 ALBUMS LIST THATS BETTER THAN YOURS
27.04.2017 - 18:16
Dungeon Shaker
I have a handful of albums that I love for nostalgic reasons, but admit aren't really that great, which I won't bother getting into. Though there is one album I adore, that get is largely ignored in the metal community: King Diamond's The Spiders Lullaby. Yes the songwriting is not quite on par with its predecessors, but man there is some great guitar work, and those keyboards! It is nice to see King drop the album long concepts and just have some fun.

Highlights are the doomy title track, The Poltergeist, and one of my absolute favorite songs; To the Morgue!