Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 25.03.2012 - 19:09
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
12.05.2012 - 13:34
Edmund Fogg
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2012 at 07:22

So it's from last year; sue me.
Excellent French Canadian singer/songwriter art pop.

Aaah hell no! I just saw who you were refering to. I could write a book about why i hate her, but ill stick to the basics. Our local scene is floaded with artists like her and 70% of the time its better then her. She adds nothing new to the table.. Except her voice,but once you get over that you realize she sounds like a freaking 5th grader. Lyrically its a mess too, it actually feels like it was written by a 5th grader.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
12.05.2012 - 14:54
Edmund Fogg
For those who likes Immortal Technique. Poeitic Death.
----
12.05.2012 - 14:58
Urs Blank
Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.05.2012 at 13:34

Aaah hell no! I just saw who you were refering to. I could write a book about why i hate her, but ill stick to the basics. Our local scene is floaded with artists like her and 70% of the time its better then her. She adds nothing new to the table.. Except her voice,but once you get over that you realize she sounds like a freaking 5th grader. Lyrically its a mess too, it actually feels like it was written by a 5th grader.

I wholeheartly agree with you on this one!

Your local scene have quite a few awful pop songwriters with uninspired and dull lyrics. I say so because many of them are also famous in France. As if we didn't have enough crappy singers and vapid lyrics on the TV and radio!
12.05.2012 - 15:40
Edmund Fogg
Written by Urs Blank on 12.05.2012 at 14:58

I wholeheartly agree with you on this one!

Your local scene have quite a few awful pop songwriters with uninspired and dull lyrics. I say so because many of them are also famous in France. As if we didn't have enough crappy singers and vapid lyrics on the TV and radio!

Haha! yeah, at least we can ship them to France when they get too annoying. All you have left to do is ship them to the sun.
----
12.05.2012 - 15:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.05.2012 at 13:34

I don't speak French and I don't really listen to French pop, so I can't honestly compare her to anyone else. I just like that album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.05.2012 - 22:41
Edmund Fogg
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 15:49
I don't speak French and I don't really listen to French pop, so I can't honestly compare her to anyone else. I just like that album.

Hwere its crazy, our radio station have a quota of french songs to play so they repeat the same songs by the same artists over and over again. So in fact french pop is what turned me to metal. I suggest you Malajube if you want Qc pop done right.

----
13.05.2012 - 17:10
Edmund Fogg
Atmo electronic music that incorporate wathever the hell they feel like to their sound. http://zirconstudios.bandcamp.com/album/unearthed
----
13.05.2012 - 19:27
Urs Blank
Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.05.2012 at 22:41

Hwere its crazy, our radio station have a quota of french songs to play so they repeat the same songs by the same artists over and over again. So in fact french pop is what turned me to metal.

I wouldn't say it better! It's exactly the same here in France. If I remember well there is a quota of at least 40% of french "music" on the radio and I guess it's more or less the same sonic diarrhea. I never really thought about the influence of french music on my musical tastes but I guess it's kind of similar to you, so let's say it: thank you french pop... [sorry I puked]
15.05.2012 - 06:04
Edmund Fogg
Pretty funky lsd instumental rock experiment. http://blackbombaim.bandcamp.com/album/titans

Edit: And then this is what happens when your trip turns into a badtrip. tachde.bandcamp.com/album/deluge
----
19.05.2012 - 02:02
IronAngel
I'll probably post some recent favorites from my list tomorrow, but right now I don't care about anything other than the new Mount Eerie album. It's a little safer than Wind's Poem, but also more coherent and consistent. Phil Elverum is one of those guys that you can pretty much count on delivering. There's apparently another album coming later this year, too!

This is the opening track, one of the folkier moments of the album. It gets dronier and stranger at times.
19.05.2012 - 04:25
RobertNowhere
I like weird zonky noise stuff like this when im not listening to metal: http://soundcloud.com/rainbowbridge2
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
21.05.2012 - 17:19
IronAngel
It's finally here. The new Regina Spektor. Probably the best artist actively recording at the moment. I want to hit play, but I have to go to the store.
25.05.2012 - 23:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I know a lot of people hate on Lana Del Rey, but her new album pleases me greatly. I think her simplicity and apparent lack of enthusiasm turn a lot of people off, but I dig her style.

Born to Die was released back in January and I've given it a handful of spins now. Would probably rate it 8/10.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.05.2012 - 00:38
IronAngel
It's a bit pretentious, some of the negative reactions she gets. She's a product of good marketing like any major label pop star, but that doesn't make the music any better or worse. People who praise authenticity and independence in music shouldn't really care about such external matters, should they? If she didn't have the marketing machinery of a large label behind her, the music snobs would be crazy about her.

That said, I find the album a little disappointing. Too many tracks, and many of them are filler. But when she gets it right, she hits me hard. I mean, tracks like Summer Time Sadness, Carmen, or even National Anthem (despite the kinda catchy chorus) are just sloppy and uninspired. But then, you have perfect pop tracks like Born To Die and Blue Jeans and some pretty cool, memorable tunes like Dark Paradise that admittedly have caused me to spin the album quite a few times. The track you posted is one of the very best songs of the year, but isn't representative of the album's overall quality. Not only is there a lot of filler, but the album is EXTREMELY front-loaded. Literally every great song is on the first half of the album up to and including track 8. I gave it 2,5/5 when I reviewed it on RYM, but I almost want to rate it 3. It would be really good and make you yearn for more if the producer had cut half of the tracks.

Born To Die
Off To The Races
Blue Jeans
Video Games
Diet Mountain Dew
National Anthem
Dark Paradise
Radio
Without You
Lucky Ones

That would make a wicked album, and it would still have some slightly weaker tracks.
26.05.2012 - 00:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 26.05.2012 at 00:38
It's a bit pretentious, some of the negative reactions she gets.

Literally agreed with everything you said, although I suppose I'm just not as critical of her filler tracks as you.
----
26.05.2012 - 05:13
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Hey, that song was really good. The whole album has that kind of mood?
26.05.2012 - 06:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 26.05.2012 at 05:13
The whole album has that kind of mood?

That kind of mood? Yes. But not that kind of quality. IronAngel's post summarizes the album very well, even if in my opinion he's a bit harsh.
----
26.05.2012 - 06:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I see. I hate how most pop albums seem to have a lot of fillers on it :/
I guess I can give this a shot anyway.
27.05.2012 - 06:42
Edmund Fogg
Truly not the kind of music I was expecting to find while searching for Black Metal, but boy am I glad I found these two girls. Heavy and inteligent lyrics you don't usually associate to light songwritting.

Download it...you know you want it. elka.bandcamp.com/album/elka
----
27.05.2012 - 10:59
IronAngel
Written by Edmund Fogg on 27.05.2012 at 06:42

Truly not the kind of music I was expecting to find while searching for Black Metal, but boy am I glad I found these two girls. Heavy and inteligent lyrics you don't usually associate to light songwritting.

Wow, this is the shit. Kinda reminds me of early PJ Harvey or Sinead O'Connor (probably most in subject matter), though it's much more modern and dronier. I wouldn't exactly call that kind of a heavy, repetitive track "light songwriting" though.
27.05.2012 - 16:22
Edmund Fogg
Written by IronAngel on 27.05.2012 at 10:59

I wouldn't exactly call that kind of a heavy, repetitive track "light songwriting" though.

Yeah I was mainly referringt to the first song with that one. And, I was at a loss of words to explain the great contrast between the lyricall content and the music.
----
27.05.2012 - 16:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 27.05.2012 at 10:59
Kinda reminds me of early PJ Harvey or Sinead O'Connor...

Huh, admittedly I wrote off the idea of listening to it based on his presentation of the track but I definitely dig these two... so I suppose I don't have any excuses now.

(I think the only real reason I like Sinead is that she wrote a song about me before I was even born.)
----
27.05.2012 - 16:53
IronAngel
Before you publically humiliate and berate me though, mind that it's not really in the same ball park genre-wise. Just this same rough feminist vibe to it, and the vocals are in that style too.
27.05.2012 - 16:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 27.05.2012 at 16:53
Before you publically humiliate and berate me though, mind that it's not really in the same ball park genre-wise. Just this same rough feminist vibe to it, and the vocals are in that style too.

I'll consider myself warned.
----
27.05.2012 - 21:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
New videoclip from The Unborn, Argentinian gothic-folk metal band. This song is from their next album, due in a couple weeks, which will be only neo-folk (and influenced by our folk, not the scandinavian as a lot of bands do) so I'll leave it here.
30.05.2012 - 06:07
Edmund Fogg
This is probably the best genre combination I've heard in a while. Smooth, complex, beautifull, layered and free. A music lover wet dream.

http://soonsounds.com/album/peace-for-the-fiery-heart
----
07.06.2012 - 13:13
IronAngel
You can stream the new White Suns album, Sinews. It's pretty intense noise rock/punk, probably best in the genre I've heard this year.
http://www.spin.com/articles/stream-white-suns-blistering-noise-punk-dronescape-sinews
17.06.2012 - 02:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Scuba's Personality is a pretty relaxing house release, sort of a down-tempo background type release with a few bass-heavy tracks and some dubstep elements.

The entire album is up on Youtube, but it's spread across individual uploads of each song. Here's a taste:

----
20.06.2012 - 00:16
Edmund Fogg
Really good R&B/Soul album from a band that draws their influences from many different spheres of the music world. Here is a cover of the horrible Snoop song: My Medecine. That is how it's done.

----
20.06.2012 - 05:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Apparently Alanis Morissette has a new album coming out this fall. Definitely looking forward to new material from her - ever since her debut I've been in love with her sound.
----