Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 25.03.2012 - 19:09
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
20.06.2012 - 05:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Edmund Fogg on 27.05.2012 at 06:42

Truly not the kind of music I was expecting to find while searching for Black Metal, but boy am I glad I found these two girls. Heavy and inteligent lyrics you don't usually associate to light songwritting.

Download it...you know you want it. elka.bandcamp.com/album/elka

LOL

I had an old drone project by the name of Elka
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 05:54
Edmund Fogg
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 05:29

LOL
I had an old drone project by the name of Elka

LOL you said old But seriously you should check them out as well as Raindoggs.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
21.06.2012 - 19:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Has anyone heard the new Metric album yet? It's definitely a step down from Fantasies in that the overall composition seems to be like one elongated unfinished idea. But there are still a few dance-inducing hits like the self-titled track:

Overall this album feels far more laid back, even unenthusiastic at times. Probably sitting at about a 6/10 for me at the moment, reflective of the balance between hit single material and filler material.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.06.2012 - 22:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
And there also seems to be a new Ingrid Michaelson album out... not that I'm happy with it. Her indie pop-influenced folk music has become far too streamlined for its own good, all but eliminating the somber atmosphere and uplifting messages of her previous works. She's got this weird Dixie Chicks thing going on now.

Singles usually don't best represent an album, but unfortunately none of the other tracks are any better. 4.5/10 and definitely disappointed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.06.2012 - 04:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It turns out Sounds From Nowheresville by The Ting Tings was a bit of an inconsistent effort. Tracks like "Silence" and "Give It Back" really got my hopes up, but the rest of the album just fails to capture my interest. It's far too relaxed for its own good, never venturing into truly electrodance territory and never following through with the underlying post-punk vibe present in their debut. With that said, it's a fairly decent contemporary mellow indie pop release with a few experimental ideas. They just seem so skittish and varied without any real focus. A tentative 7/10 from me, although if I took three of my favorite tracks and judged it as an EP I'd definitely give it an 8.

Said favorite tracks:
----
26.06.2012 - 04:59
Edmund Fogg
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.06.2012 at 22:46

Singles usually don't best represent an album, but unfortunately none of the other tracks are any better. 4.5/10 and definitely disappointed.

Now now Troy, why would you go and post something with that rating in a recommendation thread? Maybe you're recommending us to stay away from the album That Ting Tings band is quite addictive.

Here is what happens when you mix Hip-hop and b-horror movies: Pretty good stuff.

http://handsolorecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-grindhouse-ep
----
26.06.2012 - 05:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 26.06.2012 at 04:59
Now now Troy, why would you go and post something with that rating in a recommendation thread?

It's not so much a recommendation each time I post here, but I do like pointing out what albums I've listened to that others might enjoy even if I didn't enjoy them myself.
----
26.06.2012 - 15:41
IronAngel
Holy shit! I just found out that Dead Can Dance are releasing a new album after a 16-year hiatus, and it's streaming already.

http://www.deadcandance.com/presaleassets/anastasisplayer.html
26.06.2012 - 17:32
Edmund Fogg
Written by IronAngel on 26.06.2012 at 15:41

Holy shit! I just found out that Dead Can Dance are releasing a new album after a 16-year hiatus, and it's streaming already.

Thank you. That made my day.
----
29.06.2012 - 04:01
Edmund Fogg
Look at that beautifull artwork and listen to a great World music album that took 5 years making. That is art, I can't find any other words to describe it.

http://elsiane.bandcamp.com/album/mechanics-of-emotion
----
30.06.2012 - 03:51
Mattybu
If anyone here listens to jazz I think "The Year of the Snake" by Fly is pretty good

There's a nice song from it
01.07.2012 - 21:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.07.2012 - 21:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 01.07.2012 at 21:43

You might like that space-rock I just posted
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.07.2012 - 01:52
axelx666

the fray is pretty good.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
05.07.2012 - 22:29
Edmund Fogg
Melancholy at it's best. A really personnal and heartfelt experience to listen to

http://tenzenmen.bandcamp.com/album/gold-red
----
09.07.2012 - 04:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Quite enjoying Purity Ring's Shrines. Apparently an "experimental pop" album, but all I hear is chillwave or synth/dream pop. In any case, it's a pretty awesome release with a ton of great hooks, catchy but monotone female vocals, and some really fun beats. If you aren't a fan of keyboard abuse or reverb in pop, then you might as well avoid this. But if you're looking for a new simplistic, ethereal, subdued take on an old sound then this album might very well tickle your fancy. Uploaded in full on Youtube.

----
11.07.2012 - 20:23
The Turbanator
The Killers releasing new album in Fall 2012. New single :

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
11.07.2012 - 21:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This is from 2010, but I don't give a fuck, more people will see it here

Despite looking like an Emo JBiebs he has a great voice.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.07.2012 - 21:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by The Turbanator on 11.07.2012 at 20:23

I <3 The Killers.

Mr.Brightside is fantastic
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.07.2012 - 04:52
The Turbanator
Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.07.2012 at 21:33

Written by The Turbanator on 11.07.2012 at 20:23

I <3 The Killers.

Mr.Brightside is fantastic

My favorite of theirs are still Hot Fuss and Sam's Town
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.07.2012 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.07.2012 at 10:11
Thrash Metal band

In a non-metal album rec thread. Nicely done.
----
12.07.2012 - 19:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.07.2012 at 16:43

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.07.2012 at 10:11
Thrash Metal band

In a non-metal album rec thread. Nicely done.

Fuck me! My fault. But it wasn't done the way it was planned.

I actually posted in "New Album Recommendations 2012", but shit, I didn't know it posted in New-Non-Metal Rec 2012. Big L on my head.

Honestly, I still hate what Spirit shared that boring Sludge stuff. The amount of sludge recommendations is been found in "New Album Rec 2012" is tremendous.
12.07.2012 - 20:08
Edmund Fogg
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.07.2012 at 19:21

Honestly, I still hate what Spirit shared that boring Sludge stuff. The amount of sludge recommendations is been found in "New Album Rec 2012" is tremendous.

Sludge is still Metal. So it can be double posted in Sludge/Atmo thread and New album thread
----
12.07.2012 - 20:11
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.07.2012 at 20:08

Sludge is still Metal. So it can be double posted in Sludge/Atmo thread and New album thread

Yeah. But, with the "New Album Rec 2012" you can getta latest stuff to check it out. So i rather prefer that.
12.07.2012 - 23:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.07.2012 at 20:11

Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.07.2012 at 20:08

Yeah. But, with the "New Album Rec 2012" you can getta latest stuff to check it out. So i rather prefer that.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this hilarious?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
13.07.2012 - 16:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The amount of sludge recommendations is been found in "New Album Rec 2012" is tremendous.

Blame everyone else for not recommending other genres.

Anyway, off-topic over. Let's suggest some new non-metal releases now.
----
13.07.2012 - 17:47
Edmund Fogg
Yess sir!
Dirtwire. When electronic and world music collides.

Bandcamp
Soothing and intricate music. A really enjoyable listen.
----
14.07.2012 - 05:53
oblong
Account deleted
A Winged Victory for the Sullen (piano)

14.07.2012 - 06:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.07.2012 at 17:47

Yess sir!
Dirtwire. When electronic and world music collides.

Bandcamp
Soothing and intricate music. A really enjoyable listen.

Covered that shit in my list about a month ago, really is great stuff
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.07.2012 - 09:11
Crucifux
Account deleted

Really excellent folk. I've seen people label it as metal, and I can sort of see why, but the undertones are so small that I think it belongs better here.