Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
08.06.2009 - 11:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I really don't know if they will continue doing melancholic songs. They're certainly good at it but if they take a different direction, it better be good. "A Natural Disaster" is a very good album, somehow I find it hard to top.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.06.2009 - 16:51
IronAngel
True that. A change of direction, even if slight, is certainly called for. A Natural Disaster pretty much perfected the evolution of that particular direction. Mind that "hopeful" certainly doesn't imply "cheerful." Hope is interconnected with melancholy by definition: hope is noticable in a state despair, melancholy or an otherwise non-optimal situation. Hope is longing for something better than the current state of things.

I have all faith in them, whatever direction they go. For the skeptic conservaties, though, a word of comfort: bands usually exaggerate the special traits of their new albums. When they say the new album will surprise old fans, or take the band back to its roots, or that it will be their best or heaviest or most epic work so far, the casual listener can barely tell the difference.
08.06.2009 - 19:26
Italics
Written by Nathan Lurker on 08.06.2009 at 01:47

I hope they don't put too much emphasis on being full of hope though. Next album needs to have some darker songs like ' A Natural Disaster', 'Judgment', 'feel' and 'empty'. Needs to keep a bit of melancholy and longing and I like a dose of pessimism here and there.

The new album is supposed to be all about love and hope according to the Cov. brothers.... so good luck
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
09.06.2009 - 21:42
Nathan Lurker
Well Ann Further is musically similar to Closer mixed with A Fine Day to Exit so at least that one will be reminescent of previous work. Hope and Love is allright too, I just don't know if they'll be able to top up A Natural Disaster if they don't have enough heavier parts. That being said I'm confident they'll put out an album that will please me even if not as much as A Natural Disaster.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
10.06.2009 - 07:40
the stranger
I haven't heard nothing new but I don't want A Natural Disaster kind of album. They should make something new, they have never repeated themselves. That's something not easy to do.
31.07.2009 - 18:28
Farid Masud
There are no clear signs that the band has succeeded to give to their loyal fans, signs of making a doom metal album. They will most likely stay with their current experimental genre state and continue to struggle. I say struggle because its taking a while for people who use to listen to them back in 1990's, to listen to the acceptable music they are making them now, although they are famous so i doubt they would care if they lost their old fans. I may be wrong however, because a fan of Anathema is the one who doesn't care if a change occurred, they stick to their music. In any case their latest work is not something I would discourage people to listen to and the new music is not something that I would encourage my self to grow into.
----
Someone once said"If eye for an eye were to be put into practice, then the whole world will be blind..."
03.08.2009 - 19:09
IronAngel
I certainly don't want them to make a Doom Metal album again. Let the Doom Metal bands do that. What they did was pretty good, but nothing that stands out from the masses of other Doom. The Silent Enigma was the point where they dropped the Doom thing and started to get progressively more interesting. (Though, sure, they've had some poor moments since then, too.) You might notice that their only full-length Doom album (Serenades) has the lowest user rating of all their full-lenghts on MS, and neither the Crestfallen or Pentecost III fare any better. And this is on a metal forum. From the Silent Enigma forwards, the ratings soar, reaching a peak with Alternative 4 and Judgement. Neither of those albums had anything to do with Doom; Judgement was barely even metal. It seems that even most metalheads are capable of looking past nostalgic elitism and genre definitions to recognize quality (even if it's subjective).

I'm very excited: They're coming to Finland the 13th of September, and I have a ticket. Leafblade's warming them up, though I have any idea if it's any good. I guess we might hear some more new material.
03.08.2009 - 19:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 03.08.2009 at 19:09

I certainly don't want them to make a Doom Metal album again. Let the Doom Metal bands do that. What they did was pretty good, but nothing that stands out from the masses of other Doom. The Silent Enigma was the point where they dropped the Doom thing and started to get progressively more interesting. (Though, sure, they've had some poor moments since then, too.) You might notice that their only full-length Doom album (Serenades) has the lowest user rating of all their full-lenghts on MS, and neither the Crestfallen or Pentecost III fare any better. And this is on a metal forum. From the Silent Enigma forwards, the ratings soar, reaching a peak with Alternative 4 and Judgement. Neither of those albums had anything to do with Doom; Judgement was barely even metal. It seems that even most metalheads are capable of looking past nostalgic elitism and genre definitions to recognize quality (even if it's subjective).

I'm very excited: They're coming to Finland the 13th of September, and I have a ticket. Leafblade's warming them up, though I have any idea if it's any good. I guess we might hear some more new material.

Leafblade opened for them when Anathema played here. Danny's part of that project. I didn't hear much from Leafblade because when I got there they were playing, I heard like two songs and I would best describe it as "chillout, relaxing music". Acoustic guitars.
----

My Instagram
03.08.2009 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 03.08.2009 at 19:09

Let the doom bands made em.... finlayy someone saysAnathema isnt doom anymore, many read soemwhere doom , and thibk they play doom, we shood discuse if they ever play metal now, because it sint metal, some crap like The Gathring and Paradise Lost and ToT play after style changed , well if Anathema ever plays doom, probobly be same shit how newest Paradise Lost
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.08.2009 - 17:25
IronAngel
I can't classify the three latest albums as metal in good conscience. Even Judgement is borderline: Forgotten Hopes certainly isn't a metal song.

I actually think the metal stigma does some harm to Anathema: too often elitistic and narrowminded metal kids condemn them on the basis that "they're not even metal anymore," which is a ridicilous argument if it's meant to measure quality. Nobody would condemn Pink Floyd or Portishead on the basis that they don't play metal, so why should you use that against Anathema? Why should you even think about metal when you're listening to a non-metal album?

It's pretty misleading to debate whether Anathema's latest albums are metal or not. Certainly, it's an argument that can be had, but there's bound to be those who misunderstand the results (Anathema is/is not metal) and make false conclusions based on them (Anathema is/is not good). But yeah, I guess it's good to know beforehand that you won't hear pure metal if you put on anything they've done since and including Judgement. It saves the elitists from unnecessary stress and lets others listen to it without preconceived bias.

And by the way, Souvenirs is the best stuff the Gathering ever wrote. Everything apart from Almost a Dance is better than their Doom Metal debut. >_> But forgive the off-topic! I just think Katatonia, Anathema and the Gathering share an analogious developement from Doom through an original metal phase to something unique and non-metal (though Katatonia hasn't reached the non-metal phase yet; replace it with "post-Discouraged Ones", if you will). It's of course a matter of taste whether you like all these stages, but I think the three bands are all excellent throughout their career, apart from a few screw-ups.
04.08.2009 - 18:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 04.08.2009 at 17:25

And by the way, Souvenirs is the best stuff the Gathering ever wrote. Everything apart from Almost a Dance is better than their Doom Metal debut. >_> But forgive the off-topic! I just think Katatonia, Anathema and the Gathering share an analogious developement from Doom through an original metal phase to something unique and non-metal (though Katatonia hasn't reached the non-metal phase yet; replace it with "post-Discouraged Ones", if you will). It's of course a matter of taste whether you like all these stages, but I think the three bands are all excellent throughout their career, apart from a few screw-ups.

I totally disagree with your statement (you could have guessed that I think) Imo Always is by far the best and most original thing The Gathering has recorded (toegther with their demos) Anathema's earlier doom period was better than their new period as well and same more or less applies to Katatonia. Although Kataonia's new era is way better and more listenable than The Gathering's and Anathema's non-metal, pop era.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2009 - 20:04
IronAngel
I can understand that, yeah: they're all good, strong albums. Sometimes I wonder if I don't enjoy Dance of December Souls or The Silent Enigma more than, say, Viva Emptiness or A Natural Disaster.

I don't see how they're pop, though. (Not to say that it has anything to do with whether they're good or not, but it's still a point of academic interest.) I don't think Anathema's recorded a single pop song, and the Gathering really only has perhaps one or two. Not all popular music that isn't metal is "pop." I'm not sure how to classify Anathema, but they're quite heavy (in atmosphere, if not in instruments), they're heavily influenced by Pink Floyd-like psychedelic prog, the latest album borrows a little bit from electronica (which isn't pop either), and they're all around quite experimental and atmospheric. The Gathering has quite accurately described their middle-era as trip rock, which is what it sounds like: rock with trip hop influences, neither of which is pop music. Only Souvenirs has strong pop traits, but it's way more trip hop -infleunced (if more hi-fi) electronica/rock than pop. I'll leave it up to each and everyone's taste to determine if either of the bands are good, but I don't think you can accuse them of not being original: I can't name any bands that sound a lot like their later works, whereas their original albums are (while good and creative) quite comfortably part of an established genre with several points of reference in other bands. (Maybe less so with Always than Serenades, though.)
05.08.2009 - 01:20
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2009 at 18:07

Written by IronAngel on 04.08.2009 at 17:25

I totally disagree with your statement (you could have guessed that I think) Imo Always is by far the best and most original thing The Gathering has recorded (toegther with their demos) Anathema's earlier doom period was better than their new period as well and same more or less applies to Katatonia. Although Kataonia's new era is way better and more listenable than The Gathering's and Anathema's non-metal, pop era.

Marcel, you and I will always disagree on doom, Funeral being an example... but for me doom is more or less a theme rather than a style... which is what makes doom such an interesting genre, to label anything Anathema has done as pop is simply ludicrous... fact is they're not pop... nothing about them resembles any pop artist ever... all you're really saying is that they've mellowed the theme (yes artists do change with age the same as everyone else).... because the style was never that important and shouldn't be. But then again I don't like Warning...
02.09.2009 - 20:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm reliving Anathema's concert here earlier this year and I want to share it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiq54bBKHzQ

This was one of the best shows Anathema ever played and this was best crowd I've ever seen.
----

My Instagram
07.05.2010 - 03:54
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Kind of like the new album, but got bored as well after midway and want them to sound heavier. But I guess since they are labelled here as Atmospheric Rock, I shouldn't be complaining what I got myself into lol But really, something like Summernight Horizon or Get Off, Get Out was quite good.
----
loves 小巫
09.05.2010 - 17:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, you shoudnt be complaining That's Anathema right now. And frankly, I really like it.

Heard samples from the album and it sounds pretty good.
----

My Instagram
09.05.2010 - 21:18
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I also quite like it!
Didn't really expected to like it because it took so damn long.
I really like 'Dreaming Light', 'A Simple Mistake' and 'Thin Air'
11.05.2010 - 00:05
the stranger
Written by BloodTears on 09.05.2010 at 17:58

Yes, you shoudnt be complaining That's Anathema right now. And frankly, I really like it.

Heard samples from the album and it sounds pretty good.

The samples didn't offered nothing new to me. But, the whole album is gonna be something great as usual... I expect.
11.05.2010 - 05:51
Zuzuz0r
Hmm, I'm really more into their old stuff(until Judgement) than their newer, but somehow I'm interested in listening their new material.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
13.05.2010 - 00:28
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I prefer their newer work because it features more interesting moods. Their first works are almost entirely about depressing concepts.
At least their newer work is more hopeful, I like that.
28.05.2010 - 04:17
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 02.09.2009 at 20:32

I'm reliving Anathema's concert here earlier this year and I want to share it with you.

This was one of the best shows Anathema ever played and this was best crowd I've ever seen.

Im speechless.. I've never seen something like that happen before. So beautiful... for Anathema and us (portuguese crowd).

I really enjoy both Anathema styles. They quit the doom thing since 'A Fine Day to Exit' came out, but I gotta say their latest style is quite beautiful and unique.
I've managed to hear some of the new album songs and they're all great in general (I wouldn't expect less) but I was blown away with Dreaming Light. A true masterpiece... I cant wait to get my hands on this cd.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
28.05.2010 - 16:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Dark Blood on 28.05.2010 at 04:17

Written by BloodTears on 02.09.2009 at 20:32

Im speechless.. I've never seen something like that happen before. So beautiful... for Anathema and us (portuguese crowd).

I really enjoy both Anathema styles. They quit the doom thing since 'A Fine Day to Exit' came out, but I gotta say their latest style is quite beautiful and unique.
I've managed to hear some of the new album songs and they're all great in general (I wouldn't expect less) but I was blown away with Dreaming Light. A true masterpiece... I cant wait to get my hands on this cd.

You were there too? lol We have to meet next time! I still haven't pre-ordered the album, I have to. Haven't had the time really. So, you like it? I was pretty hopeful when I heard the samples and yes, I never expect anything bad from them, but you never know. I think I won't be disappointed though.
----

My Instagram
28.05.2010 - 20:04
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 28.05.2010 at 16:02

You were there too? lol We have to meet next time! I still haven't pre-ordered the album, I have to. Haven't had the time really. So, you like it? I was pretty hopeful when I heard the samples and yes, I never expect anything bad from them, but you never know. I think I won't be disappointed though.

I wish! *jealous* LOL I was working at that time, so I couldn't go. Yeah, we should meet some time.
I like the album, it has the same vibe as the previous ones, but with its unique touch of course. Knowing your musical tastes I can assure you wont be disappointed.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
01.09.2010 - 22:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Dark Blood on 28.05.2010 at 20:04

Written by BloodTears on 28.05.2010 at 16:02

I wish! *jealous* LOL I was working at that time, so I couldn't go. Yeah, we should meet some time.
I like the album, it has the same vibe as the previous ones, but with its unique touch of course. Knowing your musical tastes I can assure you wont be disappointed.

Just found out Anathema will return to Lisbon in November. Maybe you can go to that one. I surely will
----

My Instagram
01.09.2010 - 22:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I only know Anathema's doom stuff. (the first 2 albums)
01.09.2010 - 22:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.09.2010 at 22:30

If you like music a la Pink Floyd then I suggest you to listen to the later albums. Start with Eternity and Judgement imo.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.09.2010 - 22:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

That's all you need to know by them
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2010 - 23:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2010 at 22:48

Certainly not :
As far as that scene goes, the first albums of Paradise Lost and My dying Bride were witghout doubts better.

And heir best albums are without doubt Alternative 4 and Judgement. With a Pink Floyd influence, sure (but the only rip-off I know for certain is "Pulled Under at 2000m a second" on A Natural Disaster, whose riff is the same as one song out of Animals, but I can't remember which one)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.09.2010 - 23:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.09.2010 at 23:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2010 at 22:48

Certainly not :
As far as that scene goes, the first albums of Paradise Lost and My dying Bride were witghout doubts better.

And heir best albums are without doubt Alternative 4 and Judgement. With a Pink Floyd influence, sure (but the only rip-off I know for certain is "Pulled Under at 2000m a second" on A Natural Disaster, whose riff is the same as one song out of Animals, but I can't remember which one)

Nope their best albums without a doubt are the first two. As for Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride being better. Mwa, mor eor less, MDB certainly but PL not really imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2010 - 23:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2010 at 23:09

Nope their best albums without a doubt are the first two.

You forgot an "imo" on that sentence because Serenades is godamn BORING at times for me, only A Silent Enigma was very good from that period.

Lost Paradise and As The Flower Withers were way better debuts imo.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.