Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
31.01.2007 - 00:25
Burning Oasis
Account deleted
Unfortunately, for me.. It all started because of myspace. xD

All my life I've been raised with classic rock and the like, but until a few years ago I was mostly into alternative music. I still like it.. but not quite as much as my metal.

A few years ago I went onto my friend's myspace, but those were the days when you had to search for coding and host your own music, not when you had the easy click of a button sort of stuff. It was Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" and I listened to it all the way through and was completely and utterly stunned.Then I worked to find out who it was, without actually asking him, because that was lame, haha.

After that I decided to continue my search into metal and I met another person on another website who helped me in my search. He introduced me to Iced Earth, my most favorite band in the world, along with a few other bands that I still listen to today. Although I'm glad to say that I was the one who really got myself into it, as silly as that sounds.

I used multiple search engines to find out what metal was, what it was about, who was included and who I should avoid. I got deep into Viking metal for a while and then I ran through a phase of Speed metal and then I went through a phase of Thrash metal and etc etc. Now I pretty much just listen to whatever I think is good and whatever I can get my grubby little fingers on. :]

Currently I'm trying to make it so that my brother's search is a lot less difficult than mine, and perhaps he'll be as metal as his big sister, but I doubt it. :]
31.01.2007 - 02:41
Necronomicon
Account deleted
i got into metel because of slipknot years ago i havent heard anything like it and i was hooked and listen to them alot, then a freind of mine who also loved slipknot send me a Dimmu Borgir track. Kings of the carneval creation.. and i thought fuck this is exiting.. i had never really heard anthing like it , really thought this is fucking evil and satanic and i seriously to began exploring and hearing difrent stuff and i have done since.
01.02.2007 - 05:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
2001 I got Metallica "...And Justice For All" and "Metallica" and that's when all began... I listened to some Nu for a while (KoRn, Slipknot, Linkin Park) and I still like it, but I moved into other subgenres. I'm pretty open-minded. Specially since mom listens to glam, power, folk, heavy, prog rock, and a little, only a little Nu.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.02.2007 - 12:47
lindemann
Account deleted
I stardted listening metal music with the song"keine lust" of Rammstein 2 years ago.;) and i discovered other bands,cradle of filth ,children of bodom,amon amarth,burzum,trivium,converge,bloodbath ...i'm glad to listen to metal bands
01.02.2007 - 13:38
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I started to listen metal at new years eve 1978-1979 there was Motörhead performing in TV and I told my mom that I want that band's album for my 7th birthday , and I did , it was Bomber album , I got it somewhere in my house
After that it was like Tsunami wave 'til this day I spent all my pocket money for albums , (not anymore though) I got over 1700 albums
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
04.02.2007 - 00:48
metal zombie
Account deleted
I was actually a total metalhead when I was about 10.

Then I got into high school and the whole peer-pressure took over, and I was converted to liking indie rock.

Thank God I came to my sense and realized that most indie rock is shit, and now that I am out in the work world I've been able to start to really get back to my metal roots.

I think the first metal album I bought was Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" when I was 9.

I'm not much of a Metallica fan anymore, but I still love the memories.
04.02.2007 - 07:52
Elfstone
Account deleted
my bro pushed me....like.....(if you not listen this music youre not my bro) he was serious really....
first time i didnt like so much but now im a headbanger
i cant live without this music

my first favourite album was iron maiden somewhere in time.i guess i started with this album i still love that album
05.02.2007 - 04:17
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I'd say probably in '96 when Sepultura's album "Roots" came out, just prior to that I had really got into White Zombie. I was about 12 years old I think.
05.02.2007 - 12:23
MetalGoddess
hmmmm well... it was summer '96 ... my birthday.... my brother gave me as a present "Iron Maiden- The X-Factor" ... I listened to it almost all day... for about 2 months... and then I started to buy other albums
----
You can't keep this fast car out of the race \m/
05.02.2007 - 12:36
Funeral Holmes
Account deleted
ive been a hip hopper since a toddler. but metal has always been in the backround, when i need to get pumped or just feel like hearing something fuckin aggressive. but recently as im getting older ..im more drawn to metal. i cant let go of hip hop but metal has been like an obsession recently. shits crazy.
17.02.2007 - 08:34
Danny Thomas
well i listened to bands like adema, disturbed. then moved up to spineshank, then Shadows Fall. the next big step was when i bought Wages of Sin by Arch Enemy. this triggered a long series of purchases from Inflames, to dark tranquillity, and it just progressed from there. now i lsiten to jsut abotu any genre, folk metal being my favorite
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
13.03.2007 - 03:35
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Am I one of the only people here who has actually grown up with metal? Ever since I was maybe 5 months old I've been hearing metal. [no exaggerations] haha My brother really got me into metal, seriously, when I was about 4 or 5. But yeah, I love metal all the same. =D
13.03.2007 - 05:47
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
My friend introduced me to Black Sabbath when i was 12 and ever since then i've been hooked on metal. Before that I listened to punk .
13.03.2007 - 21:08
FireStillBurns
Account deleted
Mmmmm...???
I think I started listening metal at the age of 12..
"Power of the drangoflame"by Rhapsody was my first album..
In that period metal for me was a source of joy,like a roaring fire that consumes all the pain..
After I discovered In Flames,that are definitely my fovourite group..
Their lyrics made me grow stronger and I could understand that people who listen to this kind of music are really separated from the others,like we have a different sensibility...
Metal helped me this summer,when I felt lost and confused..I discovered band such as Satyricon,Cradle Of Filth and other of this kind..& metal to me became a way to convert my emotions in energy..so the fire still burns..
13.03.2007 - 21:08
FireStillBurns
Account deleted
Mmmmm...???
I think I started listening metal at the age of 12..
"Power of the drangoflame"by Rhapsody was my first album..
In that period metal for me was a source of joy,like a roaring fire that consumes all the pain..
After I discovered In Flames,that are definitely my fovourite group..
Their lyrics made me grow stronger and I could understand that people who listen to this kind of music are really separated from the others,like we have a different sensibility...
Metal helped me this summer,when I felt lost and confused..I discovered band such as Satyricon,Cradle Of Filth and other of this kind..& metal to me became a way to convert my emotions in energy..so the fire still burns..
14.03.2007 - 12:54
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I got some CD, with some Mettallica, Iron Maiden, FireHouse and Dream Theater songs on it.. I got it cause I heard "Unforgiven" at my friends place, and I liked it. But it became serious when I first heard Nightwish, and one day after that Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, HammerFall and Blind Guardian (all in one day)
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
15.03.2007 - 17:45
Sunioj
Great idea for a thread, I was waiting for this

Well, when I started listening to extreme metal...I have this friend who is in a local band who I usually get stoned with and he always used to make fun of me because I listenend to nu-metal and he would always show me morbid angel and other bands to get me into extreme metal.

But one day, I was really wasted and I was almost passing out, my friend put on pure holocaust by immortal and it just clicked. Strange experience, I suddenly liked the music and there wasnt a reason why I shouldnt.
15.03.2007 - 18:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i really started about november 2005, around the time i joined metalstorm actually.
basically, i listened to some led zeppelin, iron maiden's stuff in the summer and liked it, likewise with old metallica and guns n roses.
but the big break(i think it was early july 2005) was when a friend of my sister's gave me a cd with lake of tears, slipknot, hammerfall, the 69 eyes and tiamat. i liked most of what i heard there, and for a time i thought slipknot was fucking brutal

EDIT: i used to be a hardcore swat kats fan when i was little, and just..listen to that intro. it's pure IRON fucking MAIDEN
and my dad was a big ac/dc, led zeppelin, deep purple and uriah heep fan, so that influenced me too.
15.03.2007 - 20:16
Bitch Boy
Well I started to listen to metal when I was about 15 y.o. My first metal band was Metallica and they're still my top favorite. I used to listen a lot to classic, hard and alternative rock such as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Metallica was among these bands. Then I began to listen to other metal bands like Pantera, Tool, Rammstein, Korn, Rhapsody, Apocalyptica and some others, and that's how I got into metal.
15.03.2007 - 20:21
FTW
Account deleted
Well it started back in September of 2004, I started listening to Metallica S&M album, shortly after I collected all of thier albums, then got heavy into bands like Slayer,Exodus,Megadeth etc.....

Right now I cant get enough of it, its my one true love in this world,no person or thing can possibly give me the love that this music gives me. And for that I am forever greatful.
17.03.2007 - 12:44
Demon Hunter
I started to listen to metal at the age of 13.I heard on radio metallica's Of a wolf and a man,Master of Puppets and Unforgiven and I really liked it.After that I listened to Helloween,Hammerfall and Iron Maiden.Then Rhapsody,Nightwish,Kamelot,Cruachan and other band similar to this.
At the end to say I'm happy to listen to metal and be a part of this great music.
17.03.2007 - 19:09
selken
Irreligious
I was 12 when I listened my very first song it was Hard Rock from Metallica: "Fuel". In the neighborhood I lived there were some guys whose played the guitar, i became interested since my parents strongly dissagreeded.
----
22.03.2007 - 01:17
iaberis
Advice Troll
Well, I got into metal by a poser friend of mine. He was trying to send away the geek image he had in the high school, so he started listening to metal, head banging and playing the satanic.
So one day, he gave me some MP3s and some CD-Rs of some metal bands, like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Rammstein, Metallica, Megadeth, Demons And Wizards, Bush, Nightwish etc. and I liked it. It was in the middle of 2004 in my last year in high school... I later got deep into metal in my first year at the University, where I got a pc and the ability to chose the music I want through MP3s, internet and abandoning the commercialized radio stations which only played stupid stuff... So here I am, my 3rd year in University and I already know that much into metal... Of course MetalStorm helped into that direction
----
Bitch! Please
22.03.2007 - 11:45
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
id say after hearing Slipknot wait and bleed i was hooked then listened to some Pantera
22.03.2007 - 22:13
Hellrat
Account deleted
I was blessed with a brother who was a good five years older then me. he showed me alice cooper when i was four, and from there i progressed to Iron Maiden, Manowar, and White Zombie. by the time i was in grade 3 i was listening to pantera. when i was in high school i was firmly into stuff like slipknot in flames slayer and cannible corpse. Now with college i listen to a lot of metal from all different genres. when your exposed to this music at such a young age theres just no way anything like hip hop or radio rock can ever hope to compare. Thanks to my bro for making sure i didnt turn into a tool who believes shit like nickelback is talented music
07.06.2007 - 19:33
mansonnette
Account deleted
I started to listen metal many years ago but, I don't remember when.
10.06.2007 - 20:31
ToCSiN
Account deleted
I would say i started around 1995 ... i started listening to some old stuff such as Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Savatage, Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer.
After that i started get more and more into it till here i'm standing as a metal head that have been into metal for around 12 years
12.06.2007 - 04:40
Fhuesc
I started when i was in high school, my best friend one day said "listen this, its metal, the greatest music in the whole world", and the first song that i heard was Speed of Light, and when it finished, i was like wow, so that day when i return to my home, i download Black Diamond and Stratosphere, and that was the final step. At the begining i listen what my friend show me, which basically was trash (Metallica, Pantera, Slayer), nu (korn, sliknot, mudvaney) and power (strato, sonata). But one day everything changed, i was watching the Stratovarius homepage, and there was a link to children of bodom, and since that day i started to listen melodic death. Now i dont like trash or nu, i still like power but less than then.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
12.06.2007 - 08:54
Torture Killer
Account deleted
I don'y really remember how I got into metal but there was alot of classic rock and country (which I still listen to, to this day) played at my house wich may have started it, But somehow Kiss-Destroyer fell into my hands and I listened to Kiss non stop through 4th grade and it escalated from there to AC/DC, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, and I'm listening to Six Feet Under right now.
12.06.2007 - 11:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i became metal-adict sometimes around this year's New Year...i was bored of those still same comercial craps performed in radios or tv and searched for something more interesting...i have some Nightwish's songs already (think it was Ever Dream, Wishmaster and Dead Boy's Poem, maybe some else too) and because i liked those, i've started looking for more...and i have listened to the Ghost Love Score and it was done :-) later it came Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and Turisas and then someone recommend me Metal Storm, so i am here
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep