Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
27.12.2007 - 19:31
Ascalon
When I was like 15 years old ... I always listen to rock in general ... I remember I was a bigfan of Red Hot Chili Peppers, but my dad teach me listening to Queen, The Eagles, then I started listening 80's Hard Rock, and some Metallica songs, after that one firned showed to me Angra, Haggard, and Liquid Tension Experiment, and I started bymyself learning and downloading music ... very fast and now I'm in the same search for good music
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
28.12.2007 - 13:08
Coté
I started to listen to Metal at a very late age I'm afraid u.u
I'm so ashamed of it T.T

I think I started when I was...14...
As I said...reaaaaaalyyyy late...

But it's better to be late than never begin, right ?

I asked my boyfriend to download Evanescence...yes, you read it right...Evanescence
And then he added some other songs from a band called Nightwish
That's how all the Metal-listening-thing begun
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
28.12.2007 - 15:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Coté on 28.12.2007 at 13:08

I'm so ashamed of it T.T

I asked my boyfriend to download Evanescence...yes, you read it right...Evanescence

14 is reasonable IMO... when you're over 15 one should be ashamed! I was 11 when I got into Metal, but I've grown up with my mom and her Rock music.
----
28.12.2007 - 15:56
Thrashette
I was 13 when I started listening to metal. Before I got into it, I didn't even know that music could sound so great. That was only 3 years ago, but it's such a boring story that I barely remember it. Like a lot of people, my taste in music progressed from mainstream rock and nu metal. I discovered metal online through sites like Last.fm, because none of my friends or family members were into metal. The first metal bands that I listened to were Nightwish, Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, and Sonata Arctica. I wanted to listen to more bands like them. From then on, I started listening to more metal and less of anything else. I think that getting into metal was one of the best things that happened to me.
30.12.2007 - 00:09
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 28.12.2007 at 15:00

I'm so ashamed of it T.T

14 is reasonable IMO... when you're over 15 one should be ashamed! I was 11 when I got into Metal, but I've grown up with my mom and her Rock music.

I got into metal when I was 32. The shame is unbearable!
30.12.2007 - 00:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 30.12.2007 at 00:09

Oh seriously, that's just embarrasing man! Haha, I'm joking... awesome to hear that, can't be that common for people over 30 to start listen to Metal.
----
30.12.2007 - 00:22
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 30.12.2007 at 00:11

Written by Guest on 30.12.2007 at 00:09

Oh seriously, that's just embarrasing man! Haha, I'm joking... awesome to hear that, can't be that common for people over 30 to start listen to Metal.

I got into AC/DC when I was 17 y.o. and was always curious about metal - just took me some time to get into it. Since I didn't know anyone else who listened to metal (except for my wife who had some 90s Metallica), my heavy metal journey didn't really begin until I discovered LimeWire. Once I could try stuff out before spending my hard-earned cash, I was totally into it.

30.12.2007 - 14:17
Coté
Written by Warman on 28.12.2007 at 15:00

I'm so ashamed of it T.T

I wish my mom had listened to Rock
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
31.12.2007 - 12:40
Valknut
Account deleted
hey , i started with the metal thing when i was 13 years old , i used to listen to lenny kravitz u2 and santana when i was 10 or 11 , i never liked death indeed i like some growling songs i prefer gothic and celtic metal to all other metal styles ! the first metal band i listened to was within temptation , nightwish , finntroll and others !
01.01.2008 - 13:46
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Intresting theory by FrostbittenIlham. It's like the Marx's theory of human kind eventually finding the communism. I don't still consider metal music as 'the highest stair in musical evolution'.

First album I listened must have been Rammstein's Mutter. My Dad had burn a copy of it from his friend and one evening he just put it in the cd-player and I really fall in love with the powerful damping riffs, keyboards and cool german lyrics and BANG, here I am three years later, a member of Metalstorm and an average metalhead.

The Life is full of suprises . . .
01.01.2008 - 14:14
Oracle
Orcinus
Ive liked metal since i was a kid but i started getting serious about it when i was about 16. How i started... well i dont know, i guess ive always liked heavier music and i thought headbangging was fun and i used to watch video hits in the early 90's which played more heavy metal clips back then and i just found that music alot more interesting.
02.01.2008 - 01:33
juanopereira
When I was 14, I liked punk, and bands like Limp Bizkit, Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. for 2 years. Then, I listened "The Trooper" and realized I have wasted 2 years of my life. So the first thing I do, was selling my punk CDs and buying Metal CDs. After that I've become a power/heavy metal fan and started playing the guitar for the last 3 years. Now I have my own metal band and I'm a member of this great community.
04.01.2008 - 18:17
torniojaws
Back in '91 or '92, when I was about 8. My mother played a lot of Metallica, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. So I listened to the cassette version of Metallica's self-titled until it didn't work anymore. Then I eventually found Fear Factory through the Carmageddon soundtrack in 1997 (and I heard Zero Signal earlier during Mortal Kombat, but didn't pay notice yet). That's pretty much when the current phase started.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
04.01.2008 - 19:33
Dominique
Account deleted
When I was ten years old, I started listening to metal music. How ? Uhm. I suppose ; One Day, I was walking in the rain and I discovered it. It was there. And It's still there. It was Metallica.
08.01.2008 - 20:54
Dead Scum
Account deleted
I started when i was 10 years old.My fathers friend introduced me AC/DC and deep purple and things like that,and i remember first song i´ve heard was thunderstruck ac/dc man i was crazy about that song.Then came a generation of Sepultura,In Flames,At the gates,Fear Factory,Death,Emperor,Morbid Angel and so on and so on.
well its been passed 17 years and im stil in it and i stil love it like the first day ive heard it.Metal is not a phase its a life stile!!!:banger:
13.01.2008 - 13:42
Son of Odin
I started to listen to metal back in 1982, heard bands like Iron maiden, Judas priest, Ozzy, Scorpions and of course Kiss!
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
14.01.2008 - 20:48
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
i started listening to metal when i randomly bought the numder of the beast. i think i was 14 or 15
14.01.2008 - 21:52
Kreator
Account deleted
I started when I was 13 .First bands that I started to listen was Metallica , Iron Maiden, Kreator ...I don't know why i started to listen metal, maybe because i have metal heart
14.01.2008 - 23:11
Southern Wind
Account deleted
My mother listened to Scorpions when I was swimming in the womb.
15.01.2008 - 00:45
Number Juan
I was educated in a Catholic school since a very early age. It wasn't necessarily because of Catholicism fault but I was never really into music at all. Most of my friends from Dominican Republic were into hip hop, reggeaton and national music, and even though I did like some songs from those genres, I never considered myself a "music fan". Then, through watching the WWF, I got into rock music. I thought it was so cool the way pro wrestlers had their own theme. I just fell in love with the sound. I started watching MTV and quickly got to like bands like Nickelback, Saliva, AFI, Good Charlotte, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit and a bunch of other bands which I am kinda embarrassed to say I used to like a lot before.
Then, I migrated to the United States and saw how everybody was into hip hop but I wasn't feeling that.
After a while I got bored of modern rock and pop punk because for some reason the sound just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Nothing stood out, there was only stagnation. Then, I decided to buy the Guns N' Roses greatest hits CD and I fell in love with it. I never heard music that was so powerful and full of vibrancy and energy. Then I decided to listen to a lot of classic rock. Pink Floyd, The Doors, GNR of course, Queen, Bon Jovi, and even some grunge and 80's hair metal!

I kinda swam around that pond until I went to college and started to listen to Rhapsody of Fire and I was surprised to know that it was metal. I started looking for more of that stuff. I started listening to a lot of power metal. Then I listened to Children of Bodom, which opened the door for black and death because of the vocals. Now, I consider myself a metalhead open to anything that doesn't suck in my eyes.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
17.01.2008 - 08:47
Necromansy
So many good stories here,
people usually don't understand that music can totally change your life and personality and outlook on their future

I think i was 6 when i frist herd a Marilyn Manson song
then at age 11 i bought my first MM cd
then up till 13 i started liking iron maiden Dragonforce and alot of speed metal.

Manson's music got me through one of the toughest times in my life and somehow kept me alive
i have tried changing my style to girly and listening to that crappy pop
but i cant i just find myself at the end of the day listening to metal and actually enjoying myself

Thrash and Metal related music is the stuff that keeps me happy
so im not changing that
----
Innocence has a power evil cannot imagine
20.01.2008 - 20:20
doom_spector
Account deleted
I started listening to Metal when I was about 13 years old. First, I listened to rock, like Led Zeppelin, then Metallica and Iron Maiden. But now I like to listen a lot of different metal bands.
There's really nothing like this kind of music and I think it can really change people a lot.
25.01.2008 - 01:37
Aebsi
phew I pretty much grew up with either metal or hard rock being played around me, my sister was into Guns 'N' Roses, Aerosmith, Scorpions and stuff like that and my brother was the metalhead Pantera, Slayer, Metallica and some early short lived Icelandic bands like Ámsvartnir and HAM. And I grew older and started heading into other directions and shortly after I reached school age the kids started bullying me allot and I re-discovered metal though allot heavier than what my brother was used to, so in Industrial, Black and Death Metal I found salvation as a child of 10 - 12 years of age, and metal has been with me ever since
----
Just be Yourself
29.01.2008 - 07:13
Melancholy
Account deleted
When I was 11 years old I discovered my brother's (who had moved out by then) And Justice For All album. That was the begining, but the next few years consisted of me listening to Nu Metal, then getting heavily into punk/crust/grindcore, and when I was 14 I started getting into black and doom metal. Besides some friends, I never really had anyone to help me with my musical taste, so I had to figure them out by myself (which I'm glad happened). Now I try to stay open minded with music
29.01.2008 - 21:06
Inlé
I can say without any shame at all that my path down the metal route was prety much started by "Toxicity" by System of a down.

I was interested in trying something heavier and decided to download metallicas discography.

Thankfully I started from the beginning and loved the first four albums, especially Ride the lightning. The newer stuff didn't seem to have the same power and sounded bland in comparison (black album, I barely made it through the loads) and after I realised that that was because the first 4 were thrash metal through a bit of resarch, I looked for other bands that "sounded like" those albums... And liked most thrash bands I found... And that's just kept on growing, and once the amount thrash I could obtain wore out I started branching out, which I'm still doing of course.

The original first listen through of metallica m ust have been 3 or so years ago now, so I haven't been into metal a huge amount of time but am not exactly a newbie either.

Before metal I liked Britpop, haha. Never looked back really, but hearing Blur or suchlike played at a club is always gets a little nostalgic old school smile from me.

I'm the only person in my family who likes metal, I wish I'd discovered it sooner than 16 or 17 but oh well. Through it I enjoy music 1000,000 times more than I did before.
30.01.2008 - 16:20
Woutjinho
Account deleted
a friend of mine let me listen to fuck the system of system of a down and (sic) and people = shit by slipknot
(first songs I remember) during schoolbreaks
then I downloaded some songs and borrowed Slipknot cd for a while

this pretty much got me into metal
01.02.2008 - 18:26
riffmeister
Account deleted
i firstly got into metal with the divine intervention of the metal gods...Judas Priest.
01.02.2008 - 19:34
belisarius
i got into metal when i was 12. first i listened to slipknot and other nu metal bands, but i quickly shifted to black metal:banger2:
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
04.02.2008 - 11:00
TheUglySoldier
Account deleted
When I was about 12 or 13, I was listening to hip-hop and bands like Linkin Park. At High School (Having just started) I had a friend named Rhydian who was into that kind of music, but was also getting into bands like KoRn. I began to look into KoRn, System Of A Down, and Limp Bizkit (Blech!) when I was about 14, this was begining to expand, and I was listening to Nu Metal here and there, but not a lot.

When I was 15, I took a bite from the forbidden fruit (I was a very devout Christian at the time, who believed music with anti-Christian themes was bad) and got into Marilyn Manson, Slipknot (yes, I know they arn't anti-christian, but I thought they were XD) and then wanted something heavier.

I got some Twisted Sister, and then found true love with Nightwish. After Nightwish came Maiden, and then by the time of my 16th I was fully into heavy metal music, my taste continued to grow over that year - and here I am, 18 in a few months, loving death, black, thrash, doom, gothic, power, sympthonic...any type of metal.

My most recent heavy metal obsessions have been the early 70's metal bands like Uriah Heep, as well as NWOBHM, after having gone through a massive glam metal phase.
04.02.2008 - 11:21
doomina
Account deleted
hm ... since i started to listen to "real" music back when i was 12 or 13, i've always listened to nearly all kinds of music.
and i still do ... otherwise it would be boring ... i don't understand this narrow-minded thinking of the most metalheads, sayin' black metal -or whatever- is the only kind of music for example
don't get me wrong please ... i hope you know what i mean