Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
24.09.2007 - 13:29
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
well my firend gace me a burnt metallica CD, and i loved it, thus i expanded my collection and evntually got from thrash to melodeath (still love thrash though). And now, METAL FOREVER!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
24.09.2007 - 14:56
Bash'
:)
My cousin brought me a Nightwish sample, it was Everdream, I was shocked, that I never imagined there were music like that ever existing! so that, after then my path started..

ahh just to tell .. before that in a year, I tried Metallica -as it's like one of the most wellknown bands- for the needs to explore that what so called metal so I tried them, but I didn't went on...
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
26.09.2007 - 08:13
Demonisch
Account deleted
I have grown up (and still do) loving musicals, e.g. Phantom of the Opera, Whistle down the wind, Les Miserables etc.

A Dutch friend sent me Nightwish - Wishmaster and I loved it.

I am not interested in most metal, but Nightwish to me seemed like a brilliant powerful musical, Andrew Lloyd Webber on adreline. Since then I have been sampling similiar metal, such as Within Temptation, Dragonforce, and Lukatica - Who you are.
13.10.2007 - 09:40
Sonsofsabbath
1975. Does that age me?
13.10.2007 - 19:08
Mustis
Account deleted
my brother listened to metal before i do, he listened to metallica, i like them but im not fan, the he started listening to sonata arctica and apocalyptica, and i like them a lot, so i went to a cd store to buy a metal album and i only found iron maiden, i didnt knew them, never heard of them, but i like the picture in the cd so i bought brave new world, since that moment im converted into metal, and start looking for bands to hear them, that was when i was 10 almost 11, like 6 years ago
14.10.2007 - 00:47
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
3 years ago, I changed my place at school and the guy I sat next to was a metaller, so we were talking about music sometimes, I got some stuff from another guy, and I liked Rammstein, and then I fell under influence of the first guy and so on...
10.11.2007 - 00:41
slowdeathchick
okay this is an easy question. My cousin, Billy Joe, is a total metalhead; has been for as long as I can remember. He's the one that got me into metal when i was pretty young. My very first favorite metal band way Gorgoroth, and from there the list grew and I became a full on metalhead myself. Thank you cousin Billy!
----
The past defines the future, but sometimes you must leave something behind to be able to grow.

Gaahl
13.11.2007 - 18:31
RhysTerk
Well, kind of new to metal, but i discovered it when i was listening to Lordi in Eurovision song contest (have moved over to imo better bands now).
But the time i really falled in love with it was when i heard Metallica for the first time
13.11.2007 - 18:52
Imraghil
First i listend to red hot chili peppers. A year after that i heared Kamelot and Masterplan from my dad, i was totaly surprised... so great so good... i was 3 years ago The Black Halo was just out for a few weeks. Now i listen Power, Black, Gothic, Progressive and somethimes Death. My favo band? Kamelot I've seen it live twice and in 2008 again in het Hof ter loo! :d
14.11.2007 - 16:54
Pegasus
5 or 6 years ago...i listened to "Toxicity" of SOAD and it converts me from hard rock fan into metal fan ...later i started to listen to new,power then m-death and m-black and recently doom
----
Still I dream but now I know I dream a lie...so I close my eyes and I die...
14.11.2007 - 23:30
Omni
Account deleted
Ooh, I think it was my mate that got me into metal. We both didn't really have a taste in music or a real interest until I went around to his house one day and he had long hair and a Metallica t-shirt on. He used to stick Master Of Puppets on constantly even though he knew I hated it, while we played games or something. Eventually the music grew on me and I'd say they were the first band I really got into and now I listen to anything.
...and he's a bigger Megadeth fan now.
16.11.2007 - 13:08
Anomander
Account deleted
Funny thing - My transition was quite gradual. I started form pop and punk rock, and kept going deeper. I currently walk the thick band that cuts into both metal and hard rock. (LIfe is a waterfall, we're one in the river.....) Amazing band really.
17.11.2007 - 22:33
Replicant
As I grew up, I just naturally progressed from rock onto metal, not that I have disregarded rock entirely. There wasn't really a single moment when I started listening to metal, I suppose I just was introduced to it through friends and media and explored it more. As for death and black metal, this was from my own desire to seek out more styles, upon truly realising how huge and diverse metal as a genre really is.
18.11.2007 - 14:09
Smurfophagist
When i was younger i only listened to punk and rock. I pretty much couldn't stand metal until about 3 years ago. As my guitar playing skills progressed, i found myself in search for more 'demanding' music styles. And so I found metal, and i gradually started to like it. Now metal is my favorite genre, although there are still certain sub genres of metal i don' t like at all.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
19.11.2007 - 01:34
Piro
I used to LOVE rock and Punk. I just about only listened to Mainstream stuff, then I heard some stuff but Blind Guardian, and was overwhelmed by the power of the music and vocals. I loved them instantly. Of course, since then, I've basically listnened to everything from power to melodeath, to black, to doom. Now when I try to listen to rock, it just feels like there is something missing. Metal, in retrospect, seems to fill that emptiness with pure energy. Its a kick to listen to.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
19.11.2007 - 10:41
winter song
Account deleted
i got into metal when i was 8 and asked my way older sister to teach me too play bass and the first thing she showed my how to play for whom the bell tolles by metalica. after that i stole her guitar while she went off to university and actualy learned to play some good music now that i didnt have a crappt guitar and by the time she came back and took her guitar back i was so deep into metal that i get aladder out before i could even listen to anything els. good thing metal has so manny styles lol:banger2:
03.12.2007 - 21:04
Demonmayonnaise
I bought Black Sabbaths greatist hits... It changed my life, thats all Im gonna say... Fuckin changed...
04.12.2007 - 01:42
TheReaperBuzznet
Account deleted
I gotta admit Korn was the first metal band I got into. I was 13 in 1998 when the whole nu metal explosion occurred. Needless to say I became a Korn fanatic. I rarely listen to them anymore, but I will never betray my roots and say that I dislike them.
10.12.2007 - 15:25
RockeRoy
My bestfriends big brother always listend to Metallica,sepultura, pantera! so i gues thats where i got it from!!! i was around 13-14 years! an i tell you it's the singel moast importent thing in my life! because it kicks so much ass and have the emotion to!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 19:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
there are a number of factors:

-my dad used to listen a lot to queen, ac/dc, deep purple, led zeppelin etc so i had a pretty solid foundation
-by the age of 14 or so i began to reject the sinthy pop music and went to pop-rock, in the vein of Linkin Park
-in the summer of 2005 a friend of my sister's gave me a CD with Hammerfall, Slipknot, The 69 Eyes, Tiamat and Lake of Tears, HammerFall kickstarting my descent into HEAVY FUCKING METAL
12.12.2007 - 11:57
LostSoul
my friend brought one metal cd to the school. An he played it to me, I loved it! I've been into metal ever since and we're kind of best friends. Nobody else in our class likes metal but we do, and we announce it to everybody loudly
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
12.12.2007 - 15:04
IllNiñoSweden
2 years ago. I begin listen on a Swedish rock radio channel.
My first metal band I like was Seether.
They came from south-africa.

And my cousin influence me, for metal.
12.12.2007 - 23:30
AbyssalAngel
Account deleted
I got into metal at the recommendation of a metal-fan. He saw me reading a book on serial killers (yeah, possibly stereotypical and corny), and we started talking about music. I was young and didn't like anything on the radio (rock, rap, r&b, etc.). He gave me some names of extreme metal bands. After that i was hooked on just about anything fast and heavy.
13.12.2007 - 03:07
Wulfthryth
Account deleted
Heh, I've probably been listening to Metal for the shortest amount of time here. I think it was about a month or two ago, I was surfing about on youtube and looking at music videos. Well, in the related video section I saw there was a song someone had uploaded by Blind Guardian. I was curious so I clicked it and started listening to it. The song was "Dead Sound of Misery." Anyway, the only thing I had heard that sounded similar to it was a song by Dragon Force that a friend had played for me. Af first I thought it was a little weird, because it was so different from what I was used to listening too. I couldn't turn it of though because I realised that I really liked it. So, after that I spent some time surfing about online and listening to various metal bands. I ended up going out and buying a bunch of new CDs as well. I decided to actually look around for some forums dedicated to Metal just so I could read up on the latest news now and then.
13.12.2007 - 19:23
ainalolsen
I started to listen to metal about 5 years ago, when I was 12. A friend of mine recommended some bands for me to hear my opinion about them. Since then I have been hooked.
13.12.2007 - 23:26
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
My first metal albums were Rammstein's Mutter and Mägo De Oz's Finisterra, the former given to me by a Taekwondo classmate and the latter lent to me by my cousin, which means that I started listening to metal when I was 13-14 years old. Both albums are still among my favourites today.
14.12.2007 - 03:49
ArcanaHereticae
When I was 6 years old, I was watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and I saw an unknown band at the time playing on stage when he went backstage to visit the guy in the computer room. Turned out that was Cannibal Corpse. (I wouldn't know this until years later.) Well, I dug Chris Barnes' vocals because at 6, I had never heard anything like that before. Like the majority of moms, I was forbidden to listen to that kind of music. Well, when I was about 12, I had this friend who wqas really, really into old-school Punk. We were hanging out one day and he let me hear Slayer's Show No Mercy. I was sold. I listen to that, Metallica and Megadeth for a couple of years until a guy at school one day, who I later joined a band with, gave me a CD and said, "Listen to something good." It was Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines. I've been hooked ever since. Thanks to two stoners in middle and high school and Ace Ventura, I am a Metal fan. Wow.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
14.12.2007 - 11:22
Woutjinho
Account deleted
hail Ace Ventura
27.12.2007 - 09:40
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.01.2007 at 01:36

Written by Hellish Star on 29.01.2007 at 21:16

And look, so many years later I'm still here, alive and kickin'...

Hehe, and thats great . Lets just hope it goes on that way .

Btw, i think that metal is the higher point you can reach in music, you cant go any further, but you cant go down either. I guess ill listen to metal all my life. And im glad about it.

This is interesting. What do you mean by "can't go further"? What measurement are we using here? Why can't we go down?
27.12.2007 - 17:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
When I was about 7 or 8 years old.
My step-brother who was 7 years older than me liked metal.
And he "teach me"... It was something very nice. Because I was the little boy big that follow his big brother and they spend the time together... good memories
The first metal song that I heard was "One" by Metallica. That song is very especial to me because of that.[and is the best metallica song IMO]

I liked Clasic music as well.
So my step-brother told me about Rhapsody. And this band became the first metalband that i REALLY LOVED.
Is not my favorite band anymore... but it still has some good memories.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.