Metal Storm logo
Black metal bands that never became well-known

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.05.2006 - 01:52
I am looking for black metal bands in the 90s that didn't get well known but they were awesome.I don't mean bands like Darkthrone or Mayhem but for bands that never became famous in black metal.
20.06.2006 - 13:14
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Awesome thread ....

B-O-O-K M-A-R-K-E-D
20.06.2006 - 14:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Nagelfar - no, NOT Naglfar. they were from Germany and were one of the best black metal bands around. Complex, dark, atmospheric, innovative. Get "Srontgorrth" and "Virus West"

Alcest - a strange mixture of atmospheric black metal with female vocals. Uncanny, eerie, original. "Le Secret" is their only release.

Odium Immortalis - melancholic black sung in German.
23.06.2006 - 02:30
Deucehound
Account deleted
How about Sweden's Arckanum? Its very primitive black that doesn't get much listening to my knowledge. I listened to the album Trulen, and reviewed it for a webzine. Its orginal release was in the 80's, but the solo member, who's name escapes me, has released more material. The album Trulen was definately an impressive piece, it was very primitve and primordial. The album is dedicated to Pan, the god of chaos, and thats pretty much how the album sounds. Its an somewhat order destructive raw droning with a few owl hoots here and there between tracks.
23.06.2006 - 02:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 20.06.2006 at 14:43

Nagelfar - no, NOT Naglfar. they were from Germany and were one of the best black metal bands around. Complex, dark, atmospheric, innovative. Get "Srontgorrth" and "Virus West"

Alcest - a strange mixture of atmospheric black metal with female vocals. Uncanny, eerie, original. "Le Secret" is their only release.

Odium Immortalis - melancholic black sung in German.

About Nagelfar, I totally agree, "Virus West" is probably my favourite German BM album, strong as hell and yes, very occult shit...

About Alcest, I seem to be the only one that hates that band. I head "Le Secret" a few times and hated that affected mellow thing, can't understant why people praise it so much..

and never heard about Odium Inmortalis (but their name does suck hehe)
23.06.2006 - 02:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
And I also would recommend Angantyr, the best B Mband from Dinmark.. they play raw Black Metal with lots of ambients and atmosphere, "Sejr" is a master album
23.06.2006 - 12:19
*Septic_Schizo*
Account deleted
I think the band DAWN from Sweden are very unrecognized in the Black Metal scene. They released a brilliant album in 1998 called "Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)".
24.06.2006 - 03:34
JoeDoom
Account deleted
I don't understand. Most of the bands you're posting I think are pretty well known in the black metal community. How big do you want these bands to get? Like Cradle of Filth?

These bands do get plenty of recognition especially if they're on a major metal label.

I think someone even said Lurker Of Chalice which was probably being played on every college metal radio show around the country for 3 months. Someone said Deathspell Omega who are waaaaaay over hyped now, but still fantastic music. And everyone should have that Dawn album by now.
24.06.2006 - 04:19
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Funeris nocturnum.
here in Portugal you have good bands and are not well known, my favorites are in thy flesh, lux ferre, opus draconis and corpus christii.
28.06.2006 - 16:24
Ruines
Account deleted
if we stick with bands that were there in the 90s

Absurd
Branikald
Moonblood
04.07.2006 - 11:00
FjellFisk
Account deleted
here's three from Norway:

Trelldom - Gaahl has some fabulous vocals for this band. limited distribution or print run probably kept this from becoming more well known. very standout black metal however.

Frostmoon - another great black metal band. elements of viking metal (lyrics, choir) enhance their work. only real knock on it is the drum machine. only put one full CD out before disappearing.

Savartahrid - my kinda BM. discernable lyrics and clean production but still full of aggression. very much recommened if you don't care for raw black metal that much.
04.07.2006 - 20:06
CephalicFrost
Account deleted
Arkhon Infaustus...
05.07.2006 - 06:48
Jaar-Gilon
Account deleted
A few of my suggestions have been said already, but not: Arkheth, Crionics, ah fuck now i cant remember, ahwell, those two are worth it.
05.07.2006 - 20:40
Niflhel
Account deleted
Svartahrid, haha oh my what a shitty liveband
and that retard of a bassplayer they have? whats the deal?
They're quite famous though.
06.07.2006 - 23:39
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Damnation, Really good traditional 80's Black Metal. Craft used to be unkown, but now southern lord signed them.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
07.07.2006 - 04:38
FjellFisk
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.07.2006 at 20:40

Svartahrid, haha oh my what a shitty liveband
and that retard of a bassplayer they have? whats the deal?
They're quite famous though.

never got to hear them live but they didn't do more than a few shows did they? i suspect they are more well known i moder Norge. still, the two cds they put out were great imo.
07.07.2006 - 04:40
Niflhel
Account deleted
They had a show not too long ago... not with the psycho bassplayer, but still

And yeah, ofcourse theyre famous, they were all over the news
08.07.2006 - 00:16
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.06.2006 at 03:42

Akitsa - Black Metal

YES! I was just about to start a topic about them actually. Akitsa's album Sang Nordique is one of my favourite BM albums; and the instrumental opening track "Introduction" is the most mesmerizing song I've ever heard.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.07.2006 - 02:57
Ruines
Account deleted
Akitsa is amazing.

I highly suggest you guys take a listen to Akitsa's split with Nocternity, The Shadow Order and Satanic Warmaster. They are all really good.

I actually really enjoy Soleil Noir also but people seems to either love it or hate it. The opening (well, if you consider 10 minutes long songs can be opener) is pure genius.
08.07.2006 - 03:01
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.07.2006 at 02:57

Akitsa is amazing.

I highly suggest you guys take a listen to Akitsa's split with Nocternity, The Shadow Order and Satanic Warmaster. They are all really good.

I actually really enjoy Soleil Noir also but people seems to either love it or hate it. The opening (well, if you consider 10 minutes long songs can be opener) is pure genius.

Thanks! I'll look for it. Any suggestions on where I can buy it?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.07.2006 - 03:13
Ruines
Account deleted
soleil noir is avaiable on tour de garde (akitsa s label ) t-d-g.net

the spltis are available only in vinyl format and are pretty hard to find, i ve got my akitsa/shadow order split on blasphemous underground

the splits with satanic warmaster and nocternity . . . . . well tell me if you find them ha ha
08.07.2006 - 03:28
Surtur
What about Evohé and Tymah????
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
09.07.2006 - 11:34
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 19:21

Windir-Nor

Are you laughing at me or what? I can't agree that Windir is so unknown. Yes, it's not so well known as Dimmu Borgir or Burzum but it isn't underground band that is known by 3 persons.
09.07.2006 - 11:35
Ruines
Account deleted
Covenance's bassist wore a Windir shirt live when i saw em last week.

Windir is definately NOT underground.
13.07.2006 - 11:49
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Forest Of Fog - German melancholic black metal (one man band)
Greek Black Metal scene (Naer Mataron, Thou Art Lord, Astarte, Necromantia, Varathron etc..)
Barathrum - A band from Finland with great bass solos (like Greek Necromantia)
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
13.07.2006 - 11:57
Damnated
Churchburner
Barathrum is actuallyfamous but try thw whole french BM scene, you wont be disapointed.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
13.07.2006 - 16:36
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Damnated on 13.07.2006 at 11:57

Barathrum is actuallyfamous but try thw whole french BM scene, you wont be disapointed.

heh, i will someday
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
15.07.2006 - 21:50
Nacnanuk
I'm not too much into the Black Metal, but I know Dødheimsgard (Norway), Dark Space (Switzerland), Loits (Estonia), Mystic Shadows (Brazil), Occultan (Brazil), Miasthenia (Brazil), Orakle (France), Vindsval (Luxembourg), Pandemia (Czech Republic) and Candle Serenade (Portugal).

From these bands, my favourite is Miasthenia, you should look for them...
15.07.2006 - 23:29
Niflhel
Account deleted
In most cases, underground bands are underground for a reason.
It wasnt like before (ie before my time) when underground was a good thing to be
now it just means that youre shit
15.07.2006 - 23:29
Niflhel
Account deleted
It wasnt like before (ie before my time) when underground was a good thing to be
17.07.2006 - 09:14
Nacnanuk
Written by Guest on 15.07.2006 at 23:29

I disagree...
a lot of bands from the underground (at least here in Brazil) are a lot better than any famous band, they stay on the underground because it is still good... playing metal for the music, not for the money...
maybe european scene may be different, but here in Brazil, it is still a good thing beeing on the underground, it means that you love the music that you make and fights for it...